Code of Conduct
o
    Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Default Which brands can one find in Berlin that are difficult or impossible to find in the U.S?

Lovely lady annweir (enjoyed her company on two of our Chicago meet-ups), has a question, and I'm posting it for her here and will send her the link to join in.

Ann is going to be in Berlin for an extended work stint and hopes to sample new-to-her brands of perfumes. Can anyone give her some advice?

(There's also http://www.basenotes.net/forums/46-Germany for some reference.)
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Default Re: Which brands can one find in Berlin that are difficult or impossible to find in the U.S?

She could try Rundholz.

Default Re: Which brands can one find in Berlin that are difficult or impossible to find in the U.S?

Reporting back... During my two-month stay in Germany (where Berlin was my base), I was able to do some perfume exploration. Starting at KaDeWe (https://www.kadewe.de/en/), I was pleased to buy Après L'Ondée since I was running low of my signature scent. This is an atypical Guerlain which, to my knowledge, is only available in U.S. from Bergdorf Goodman in NYC. At KaDeWe I was able to check out full offerings of two Berlin brands: J.F. Schwarzlose (Lucky Scent has some) and Frau Tonis Parfum. From the latter, I ended up buying No 44 Feige; this is very green fig fragrance which is linear. Recently arrived at KaDeWe was a Swiss brand Mazensir which is associated with perfumer Alberto Morillas. (I had high hopes for Eau de Gingembre but the delicious opening fizzled out quickly with nothing interesting to back it up.) Because of my pickiness (no sandalwood, patchouli or vanilla!) I didn't smell most in the line. I was happy to add the first mint perfume to my collection: Menta y Menta from a French niche maker, Miller et Berteaux, which I bought at the wonderful Meister Parfumerie in Hamburg (https://www.meister-par)fumerie.de/). Another beautiful store with a good selection was Königsparfümerie Dommaschk in Dresden (https://www.facebook.com/KonigsparfumerieDommaschk/) though I didn't buy anything there. Parfümerie Thiemann in Dresden is worth a mention (where I bought a small bottle of an Acqua da Parma fragrance): https://www.parfuemerie-thiemann.de. The perfume chain Parfümerie Douglas is worth checking out: I tried several in the various places I visited and while the majority of the space is given over to the big brands (and ones easily found in the U.S.), each store had some unique offerings (e.g., Lengling Munich). Sometimes encounters were unexpected: when I went to a Falconi hair salon in the Kreuzberg neighborhood of Berlin, they had a perfume boutique at the front where I saw an Italian brand (Paglieri) that I never heard of before.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by annweir View Post
    I was happy to add the first mint perfume to my collection: Menta y Menta from a French niche maker, Miller et Berteaux, which I bought at the wonderful Meister Parfumerie in Hamburg
    Congrats - A wonderful fragrance! I just love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Willkommen zuhause, Ann!

Would like to sniff you any day you wear mint!

I saw your thread about bimonthly Chicago meet-ups. Will be chiming in on that shortly.
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

With apologies in advance if belated, also adding (no promotion/advertise intent in this reply and thus no personal relation but also no endorsement) the online store thediffrentstore.com.
    Though their shipping costs to the US are fairly high, delivery to most EU and non EU countries is either inexpensive or totally free-if there is the possibility of purchasing by means of European acquaintances, they also have the advantage of offering diverse scented body care, cosmetics etc. products matching the niche, designer exclusive and/or alternative, artisan they retail as well.

Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    With apologies in advance if belated, also adding (no promotion/advertise intent in this reply and thus no personal relation but also no endorsement) the online store thediffrentstore.com.
    Though their shipping costs to the US are fairly high, delivery to most EU and non EU countries is either inexpensive or totally free-if there is the possibility of purchasing by means of European acquaintances, they also have the advantage of offering diverse scented body care, cosmetics etc. products matching the niche, designer exclusive and/or alternative, artisan they retail as well.