Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royall Rugby

Default Royall Rugby

Has anyone tried Rugby from Royall Lyme of Bermuda?

Note list looks pretty good and I’m crazy about the logo & packaging. Seems like it would be a great cologne for warmer fall weather.

Here’s a basenotes review that has me wanting to blind buy:

If you want to smell like you just stepped off the set of Dead Poets Society, this is the one for you! It evokes images of some prep school full of rich kids playing rugby on an autumn's day. It's a very "green" smell in the sense that it is fresh and well balanced. The dry down is great and for the money you can't beat it. Get the 4 oz. and buy the 8 oz. bottle to refill the 4 oz. bottle, because the 8 oz. bottles don't come with sprayers in any of the Royall line.

Royall-Rugby-4-ounce-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-573241d1-74ce-45d7-8d2c-d67a175a1a00_600.jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Royall Rugby

Looks really good! Never tried
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Brooks Brothers use to sell this. Maybe they still do. It's been a while so I don't remember what it smells like but I remember liking it. Most of the Royalle line is actually pretty decent.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I bought 3 Royall fragrances about 3 years ago after seeing them in a local Orvis clothing shop. I sampled 3 that I liked, but went online to buy them instead of paying Orvis' prices. I picked all 3 bottles up for less than $20 a piece, and I still consider them a good buy.

I bought Royall Muske, Lyme, and Rugby. Yes, I do enjoy the Rugby, but my favorite of the 3 has always been the Royall Muske. It's still my very favorite barbershop scent.

All are a great buy, IMO.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I own Rugby and Muske. Although Muske is my favorite of the two, I enjoy both. I should reach for them more.

Neither is a beast as far as performance goes. Rugby is definitely a good casual fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Looks really good! Never tried
    I'm somewhat surprised by this, lol

Thanks guys, I’ll definitely seek out Rugby as well as Royal Muske. I wish I could find them for $20, I’d just blind buy them at those prices. I couldn’t find them less than about $40. Gonna see if I can find a brooks bros that carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Thanks guys, I’ll definitely seek out Rugby as well as Royal Muske. I wish I could find them for $20, I’d just blind buy them at those prices. I couldn’t find them less than about $40. Gonna see if I can find a brooks bros that carries them.
    BB use to carry the entire line. I think there's also a Mandarin something. But they may only have a specific few now.

Basenotes Plus

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing. Maybe a little like C & M Greenbriar?

Brooks Brothers carries, Royall Rugby, Muske, Lyme, and BayRhum.
    Other places you can find Spyce, Vetiver, Mandarin, and Yacht.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps I need to test this house out.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own it as well as the soap.

It’s a very nice clean green fragrance. It smells “classic” and is my favorite from the line (followed by Lime).
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps I need to test this house out.
    Somewhat surprised you haven't.
    Honestly, it's nothing amazing. But nothing that's all that awful either.
    Think about it like a Bath and Body Works type or the Bigelow stuff. Not the same, but along those lines, maybe a smidge better.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Think about it like a Bath and Body Works type or the Bigelow stuff. Not the same, but along those lines, maybe a smidge better.
    Royall is leagues beyond Bath & Body Works IMO. Brooks Brothers wouldn't touch it otherwise. XD
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Royall is leagues beyond Bath & Body Works IMO. Brooks Brothers wouldn't touch it otherwise. XD
    Fair point. I would tend to agree with you. I maybe unfairly assume it's reputation as being along similar lines, not just the quality. I like BB products but don't think they're anything super good quality. Mostly solid colognes at BB but not designer quality, IMO.
    I like the Royall stuff more than the actual BB branded colognes.

No offense Danny but given as how I’ve seen you on here recommending fragrances the likes of Ysl Y, Mont Blanc Explorer, polo red extreme, etc... forgive me if I don’t trust your opinion on whether it’s good or not.

No offense Danny but given as how I’ve seen you on here recommending fragrances the likes of Ysl Y, Mont Blanc Explorer, polo red extreme, etc... forgive me if I don’t trust your opinion on whether it’s good or not.
    I recommend fragrances to people based on what they ask and what they may like. The person in question was asking about scents that fall into that line. Would I recommend those to you? Of course not. Know your audience.
    And I've tried the majority of the Royall line. We both seem to like POLO. Seems like you may be looking at things without context? Maybe not, but I forgive you.

I have it and really like it. For some reason I think that this is a scent to wear to a pub on the weekend.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: My Land by Trussardi

Bump- I got to smell some from the line yesterday.

Royal Rugby is good, and definitely worth owning I think. Love at first sniff. Will be buying.

Royal Mandarin was really tasty. I actually liked it better than Hermes Madarine Ambree. In that same vein of warm mandarin(rather than orange/orange peel).

Vetiver Noir was surprisingly good. A soft, natural vetiver with some darkness, as the bottle & name would suggest. I’m not the biggest fan of vetiver fragrances but if I was I’d buy it.

That’s all they had available. My overall impression of the house was overwhelmingly positive and I was impressed by how natural everything smelled and how well made it was. I’m guessing they’re not the best in the longevity/projection department, but I’m okay with that.

Check them out if you get a chance.

Bump- I got to smell some from the line yesterday.

Royal Rugby is good, and definitely worth owning I think. Love at first sniff. Will be buying.

Royal Mandarin was really tasty. I actually liked it better than Hermes Madarine Ambree. In that same vein of warm mandarin(rather than orange/orange peel).

Vetiver Noir was surprisingly good. A soft, natural vetiver with some darkness, as the bottle & name would suggest. I’m not the biggest fan of vetiver fragrances but if I was I’d buy it.

That’s all they had available. My overall impression of the house was overwhelmingly positive and I was impressed by how natural everything smelled and how well made it was. I’m guessing they’re not the best in the longevity/projection department, but I’m okay with that.

Check them out if you get a chance.
    Opiate, where did you sample them?

I stopped into Brooks Brothers last week and re-tried Rugby, Muske, Mandarin, and Lyme. All VERY solid but was disappointed they didn't have the Vetiver Noir.

Opiate, where did you sample them?

I stopped into Brooks Brothers last week and re-tried Rugby, Muske, Mandarin, and Lyme. All VERY solid but was disappointed they didn't have the Vetiver Noir.
    It was a gentleman’s store similar to Brooks Brothers called H. Stockton

As I recall they last about 5 min before fading away. But has been a while since I tried

I had Royall Lyme, Spyce and Bay Rhum - they were all very nice and refreshing, but true colognes in the classic meaning of the word: high alcohol content splash-ons that last maybe 15-20 minutes at most.

But those twist on caps... dayum... every time I'd drop one in my bathroom I was afraid it would break a tile.

P.S. I honestly think that the retail prices for these are ridiculous. Maybe it's the inflation or hype or whatever, but 10 years ago I bought my bottles for $6-$8.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    I had Royall Lyme, Spyce and Bay Rhum - they were all very nice and refreshing, but true colognes in the classic meaning of the word: high alcohol content splash-ons that last maybe 15-20 minutes at most.

But those twist on caps... dayum... every time I'd drop one in my bathroom I was afraid it would break a tile.

P.S. I honestly think that the retail prices for these are ridiculous. Maybe it's the inflation or hype or whatever, but 10 years ago I bought my bottles for $6-$8.
    You think the prices are “ridiculous”? I just bought a 3.4oz bottle of Royal Mandarin this morning for $10, i’d hardly call that ridiculous. More like “Ridiculously cheap“

And yes, they’re true edc (except for the edt ones). I’m not into “beast mode” or obnoxiously long lasting or loud fragrances, so I’m good with it. I like soft, natural smelling fragrances. YMMV

You think the prices are “ridiculous”? I just bought a 3.4oz bottle of Royal Mandarin this morning for $10, i’d hardly call that ridiculous. More like “Ridiculously cheap“
    My exact quote actually is: "retail prices are ridiculous".
    MSRP according to Royall Bermuda's website and Brooks Brother stores are in the $35-$70 range. A 4 oz bottle retail price is $52, so yes, I'd say that's ridiculous and you prove my point, wherever you bought your bottle from.

P.S. according to Royall, Mandarin doesn't come in 3.4 oz bottles. It's either 2 or 4 or 8 oz.

I'd start snagging up some bottles of them if I could find them for $10. Haven't seen them that low yet.
    But yes, I think full retail for these is a bit high as well.
    I thought that they were all available in the 4oz. size. For $10, that's a steal. I think a reasonable price I would pay for these would go as far as $25 to $30 for them.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    My exact quote actually is: "retail prices are ridiculous".
    MSRP according to Royall Bermuda's website and Brooks Brother stores are in the $35-$70 range. A 4 oz bottle retail price is $52, so yes, I'd say that's ridiculous and you prove my point, wherever you bought your bottle from.

P.S. according to Royall, Mandarin doesn't come in 3.4 oz bottles. It's either 2 or 4 or 8 oz.
    *4oz

I'd start snagging up some bottles of them if I could find them for $10. Haven't seen them that low yet.
    But yes, I think full retail for these is a bit high as well.
    I thought that they were all available in the 4oz. size. For $10, that's a steal. I think a reasonable price I would pay for these would go as far as $25 to $30 for them.

I haven’t even looked up what the full msrp is, just went to shopping on google/eBay. I “watched” a 4oz bottle on ebay that was $21 I think, and the seller sent me an offer for $10. I planned to buy it at the listed price but at $10 it was a no brained instant buy

I haven’t even looked up what the full msrp is, just went to shopping on google/eBay. I “watched” a 4oz bottle on ebay that was $21 I think, and the seller sent me an offer for $10. I planned to buy it at the listed price but at $10 it was a no brained instant buy
    Definitely a no-brainer.
    Brooks Brothers sells this line for $55. Which has gone up from $40 just a few years back.

The Royall Muske has always been my favorite barbershop fragrance. It brings back memories of sitting in the barber's chair as a small boy, getting my hair cut with clippers and a straight razor. It even has decent longevity....on me.

I've always enjoyed their Royall Muske much more than something like YSL's Rive Gauche...although I did enjoy it, too, when I had it.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626