Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Coromandel Parfum is here

It’s available in the states.

Here’s a review. He picked it up at a boutique- https://youtu.be/XR-hm_39odU

Basenotes Plus

It definitely peaked my interest

I previously had the EDT and will soon have the EDP. It's a great scent - I definitely would love to try this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post

A superb review from Super Dacob. It's not available in Japan yet, hopefully Place Vendome has it available.

Basenotes Plus

Did he mention where he bought it?
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Default Re: New Coromandel perfume?

Coromandel Parfum is available from Place Vendome in Belgium.

Basenotes Plus

A review worth watching, simply because he has extensive experience with all the versions of Coromandel, and says what he really thinks of each. (My opinion of the edp somewhat mirrors his as well, ie the edt is much better.) His comments about the Parfum have me intrigued. I wouldn't worry too much about the cost for only a 15ml. This isn't going to be something you're going to bathe in. A few drops will be more than sufficient, and it won't be something you wear to the grocery store.

A bit off-putting though that he spends the first 10 minutes actually getting to how to open the bottle properly. Jim Henson/Dark Crystal fans tend to be somewhat obsessive though.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

All right I’m going down to the boutique today. Will report back.

Edit: confirmed it’s not there. SA said they’d hopefully have it soon but was told they probably won’t have a tester of it available. Which is nuts. $240 for a tablespoon and you can’t test it beforehand.
    Last edited by wildrnesxperienc; 10th September 2019 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    It's at my local duty free already and the delightful SA dabbed a small amount on my wrists.

It's a very soft scent, and even though only a small amount has been applied, I can tell it won't be as punchy as my BdI Parfum, for example. It's a cozy, powdery and musky scent, with any advertised frankincense seamlessly blending in after the initial application. If there is patchouli in the mix, it's also very well blended to the point of not standing out. There is a slightly leathery edge underneath it all which may or may not be labdanum.

Overall, it's a bit disappointing because I had high hopes for this one. I expected it to be a bit punchier, whereas this is very light, powdery and rather feminine with a distinct Chanel signature.
    Thanks for your impressions, Natska. Interesting that you found it very light and powdery: for me it was mostly sticky, relatively spicy labdanum and not especially feminine, at least until the sweeter drydown began to make an appearance. I agree with you on the patchouli, though: there was very little to be smelled imo.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel on 57th has 2 bottles, in case anyone in NYC is interested. No tester of course so you’ll have to blind buy it. SA (gosh they’re so clueless about fragrance most of the time) said Saks may have a tester when they get it.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Thanks for your impressions, Natska. Interesting that you found it very light and powdery: for me it was mostly sticky, relatively spicy labdanum and not especially feminine, at least until the sweeter drydown began to make an appearance. I agree with you on the patchouli, though: there was very little to be smelled imo.
    It might have been because the amount the SA dabbed on was rather small. It might be more sticky and lush if applied generously.

Missing Oakmoss

It's hard to imagine a modern parfum formulation that smells better than, or as good as, the discontinued EDT. If I were in the market for Coromandel, that's what I'd be looking for.

I wonder if the perfume brings the fragrance to a different level in the same way Cuir de Russie does.

The beginning of his review is too OCD for me to watch, however the rest is somewhat informative.

Basenotes Plus

One encouraging sign is that reviewers seem to be uniform in their praise of the parfum versions released so far, while expressing disappointment with the current edp's on the shelves.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by therese19 View Post
    I wonder if the perfume brings the fragrance to a different level in the same way Cuir de Russie does.

The beginning of his review is too OCD for me to watch, however the rest is somewhat informative.
    I have to agree about the beginning. Get to it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    One encouraging sign is that reviewers seem to be uniform in their praise of the parfum versions released so far, while expressing disappointment with the current edp's on the shelves.
    I don’t know if Chanel would even know how to make a bad pure parfum. As for the edp exclusifs, Dacob pretty much damned them all at first, but he’s come around on them and even prefers a couple to their edt versions.

I think Coromandel edt is prettier, more nuanced & complex than the edp, but I prefer the edp myself. It’s darker, more mysterious, heavier on the bass notes and has more incense, which I love. (The incense is my favorite part of coromandel so I’m a bit biased).

Quote Originally Posted by therese19 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    I have to agree about the beginning. Get to it already.

Ha! It’s because he made a previous video where the bottle wouldn’t open and ended up breaking and spilling all over. (It was painful to watch, I don’t recommend it).