Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default New Coromandel perfume?

Mixerscent just brought this to my attention. Anybody got any more info or even tried it? 15ml Parfum version.

https://www.harveynichols.com/int/br...15ml/p3603439/
    Last edited by wildrnesxperienc; 1st September 2019 at 03:09 AM.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Default Re: New Coromandel perfume?

There's also an article on Fragrantica about it:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Cha...fum-12661.html

I'd love to try it once it becomes available. I'm not a fan of Coromandel, but the Parfum may change that. This happened with Bois des Iles; the Parfum sits firmly in my top-5 now.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Will make it my mind to stop at the Chanel boutique in my area and see if they have it on hand.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh la la! I’m in! As soon as budget permits, that is. Thanks for the heads-up, wildrnesxperienc!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Patchouli. What a Regal scent. I wonder if it will be enough different from the EDP

I hope it is. I'd like to think that it will cause people to loosen their grip on the bottles of the EDT of which I consider near Masterpiece.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Anyone else think £185 for 15ml is completely ridiculous?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Anyone else think £185 for 15ml is completely ridiculous?
    £360 for an ounce of parfum these days is not exactly unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    But it's Coromandel. I wouldn't put that in the upper echelons of fine perfumery. If it was Areej Le Dore or something similar, perhaps I wouldn't find it so surprising. But even for Areej, it would have to be something spectacular to justify that price. Just my opinion, of course. Everyone is free to spend their hard earned money on whatever they please. If you're going to buy this new Coromandel, I hope you enjoy it.

It would be useful to know the concentration percentage, Chanel has listed the following ingredients on their website:

Size
    15 ml

List of ingredients
    ALCOHOL | PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) | AQUA (WATER) | LIMONENE | LINALOOL | COUMARIN | CITRONELLOL | GERANIOL | CITRAL | BENZYL BENZOATE | FARNESOL | EUGENOL | ISOEUGENOL | BENZYL ALCOHOL | IL29-1

If it just an extrait, this is more than twice the price of an Areej le Doré or Bortnikoff.

Freed from BN Institution

Is there any plans for it to be available in the boutiques over in the US? I'm definitely intrigued.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

But it's Coromandel. I wouldn't put that in the upper echelons of fine perfumery.
    Perhaps you wouldn't, but there are many who would. And many who would value it more highly than Areej or Bortnikoff.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Well, one difference between Coromandel and Areej le Dore is that Coromandel actually smells good.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Well, one difference between Coromandel and Areej le Dore is that Coromandel actually smells good.
    classic!😂

Basenotes Plus

~~~notworthy1.gif~~~

Basenotes Plus

I’m definitely intrigued as well but I also agree that is a very steep price for 15ml of parfum. At that exchange rate and multiplying the ml size out for perspective that’s just under $800 for a 50ml size. Sheesh.

Always be smelling

About time. Someone had to burst the hype bubble.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Perhaps you wouldn't, but there are many who would. And many who would value it more highly than Areej or Bortnikoff.
    Research Russian Adam and what he goes through to source his natural materials and how he distils them. Factor that into the price.

Then compare that to Chanel; who hires a perfumer to create something using synthetic aroma chemicals.

I wasn't talking about the smell.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Research Russian Adam and what he goes through to source his natural materials and how he distils them. Factor that into the price.

Then compare that to Chanel; who hires a perfumer to create something using synthetic aroma chemicals.

I wasn't talking about the smell.
    While I agree that $225 for 15ml is insane, I think the old prevailing logic that the value of perfume is subjective applies here.

Labor and ingredient cost make reasonable justification for higher prices, but so do precious metals and jewels on the bottle. At the end of day you're paying the asking price so you can smell like X or Y unless you're strictly collecting and/or investing for resell.

Also people fully smitten with "natural" and "artisanal" lines like to invalidate perfumers who work with aromachemicals or who work with perfume houses and designers, but the amount of studying, skill, and talent it takes to wield these substances and make something smell good shouldn't be disregarded.

Remember, classic groundbreaking perfumes like Fougère Royale, Jicky, and Chanel No. 5 were all made possible when perfumers made breakthroughs in chemistry. Once again, I think the pricing is insane, but I don't think a great perfume is simply the sum of its parts either, or else we could all run out and buy the finest compounds we can afford from apothecaries and follow recipes laid down or just wear them as single note perfumes.

Oh wait, we used to do that 300 years ago, then eau de colognes happened. Whoops.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: JB by Jack Black

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    While I agree that $360 for 15ml is insane, I think the old prevailing logic that the value of perfume is subjective applies here.
    That's not quite right on the price. I was extrapolating what the cost of a full ounce would be. The cost of the 15ml bottle (185 pounds) would be, at current conversion rates, about $225 USD. Still damned steep.

Also people fully smitten with "natural" and "artisanal" lines like to invalidate perfumers who work with aromachemicals or who work with perfume houses and designers, but the amount of studying, skill, and talent it takes to wield these substances and make something smell good shouldn't be disregarded.
    Very true.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

That's not quite right on the price. I was extrapolating what the cost of a full ounce would be. The cost of the 15ml bottle (185 pounds) would be, at current conversion rates, about $225 USD. Still damned steep.

Very true.
    I fixed it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: JB by Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Koenigsberg View Post
    classic!��
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    About time. Someone had to burst the hype bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    While I agree that $225 for 15ml is insane, I think the old prevailing logic that the value of perfume is subjective applies here.

Labor and ingredient cost make reasonable justification for higher prices, but so do precious metals and jewels on the bottle. At the end of day you're paying the asking price so you can smell like X or Y unless you're strictly collecting and/or investing for resell.

Remember, classic groundbreaking perfumes like Fougère Royale, Jicky, and Chanel No. 5 were all made possible when perfumers made breakthroughs in chemistry. Once again, I think the pricing is insane, but I don't think a great perfume is simply the sum of its parts either, or else we could all run out and buy the finest compounds we can afford from apothecaries and follow recipes laid down or just wear them as single note perfumes.

Oh wait, we used to do that 300 years ago, then eau de colognes happened. Whoops.
    I wasn't trying to invalidate anything. I'm purely talking about cost and profit margins. I even said I wasn't talking about the smell of the scents.

Basenotes Plus

I’m a big ALD fan, but not every single release he’s done. And I’m also a huge Chanel fan. If I had to choose one designer it’d be them or Guerlain. And I fully realize and appreciate that the artistry and creativity in the perfume world we all know and love would not exist without the invention of aroma chemicals starting in the late 1800’s. At the same time I guess I am willing to pay more for perfumes like ALD and Sultan Pasha because they contain real ambergris, real musk, real Taif Rose, real Oud, etc etc and for vintage fragrances that contain either higher concentrations of real and authentic ingredients or that are truer to the original perfumers composition. I’m willing to pay higher prices for these things if I ultimately like the fragrance of course.

I hope they’ll adjust the price accordingly for the US dollar and not just convert it.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I loved Coromandel at first, but never bonded with it enough after that to be too into it / buy a bottle / finish my samples.

Hmm I wonder... Ask 99.99% of the fragrance market, and the affluent and upper class of what they think of Chanel and if they even know about Russian Adam's barn. Then, have them smell Coromandel and any of Adam's barnyard. Maybe, Chanel isn't worried about losing their target customer to this indie niche garage operation based in Thailand/Indonesia.

LOL at the guy who replied "I wasnt talking about the smell". He was talking about about coffee beans shitted by civet for the point one percenters out there who think normal civet is for kids.

Basenotes Plus

Of course but I think you’re missing the point. You’re disparaging one by comparing to the other, while the two things are different and shouldn’t really be compared as the same. Niche is niche because it’s small and artisanal and not known to the masses. If you think $190 for 30ml of Oud Luwak is for the 1% but $225 for half that size isn’t, then I’m kind of at a loss. Both Niche and designer have their places, fans, and reasons for existing, and just because you don’t “get” one doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value or that’s it’s not good.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Hmm I wonder... Ask 99.99% of the fragrance market, and the affluent and upper class of what they think of Chanel and if they even know about Russian Adam's barn. Then, have them smell Coromandel and any of Adam's barnyard. Maybe, Chanel isn't worried about losing their target customer to this indie niche garage operation based in Thailand/Indonesia.

LOL at the guy who replied "I wasnt talking about the smell". He was talking about about coffee beans shitted by civet for the point one percenters out there who think normal civet is for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    Of course but I think you’re missing the point. You’re disparaging one by comparing to the other, while the two things are different and shouldn’t really be compared as the same. Niche is niche because it’s small and artisanal and not known to the masses. If you think $190 for 30ml of Oud Luwak is for the 1% but $225 for half that size isn’t, then I’m kind of at a loss. Both Niche and designer have their places, fans, and reasons for existing, and just because you don’t “get” one doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value or that’s it’s not good.
    Not sure that bringing things into perspective is disparaging. My reply was actually a response to disparagement... Or so I thought.

I am part of that point zero one percent, and the very deep end of it. Ouds from Adam, ambergris tinctures, civet paste, castoreum sacs, MUSK from probably the same source as Adam are in a cabinet not to far from a bottle of Coromandel.

Basenotes Plus

Ah it seemed like you were really dismissing ALD and the like in your earlier comment.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Not sure that bringing things into perspective is disparaging. My reply was actually a response to disparagement... Or so I thought.

I am part of that point zero one percent, and the very deep end of it. Ouds from Adam, ambergris tinctures, civet paste, castoreum sacs, MUSK from probably the same source as Adam are in a cabinet not to far from a bottle of Coromandel.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Oh la la! I’m in! As soon as budget permits, that is. Thanks for the heads-up, wildrnesxperienc!
    Me too. It sounds like a good thing to put on my Christmas list.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I've crossed my fingers for a parfum version of Sycomore, just to see how it fares in that format, but Coromandel also has my interest. Hopefully it is available for testing somewhere in Manhattan when I'm down there in late fall.

I like Jersey in Parfum form the best out of the three versions (EdT, EdP, Parfum). I think Chanel does a decent job of capturing richness in their parfums. Coromandel is already rich as hell in EdT and EdP, curious to see how the Parfum pans out.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I've crossed my fingers for a parfum version of Sycomore, just to see how it fares in that format,
    From your lips to God's ears.