Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 71
  1. #31

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    You are talking about theatre people. Let's not pretend here that most theatre types aren't the most liberal people in the world. It is by no means fair to consider their thoughts on the matter the be the end of discussion. That is akin to asking a guy who owns over one hundred guns and spends all his free time at a shooting range how he feels about strict gun control, and then saying his opinion is the end of discussion.
    “Theatre people” come from a diverse set of backgrounds, nationalities, and are not politically monolithic. I guess my point is that if you want to know whether something is offensive to a group, race, nation, etc., you don’t ask the opinion of people that are not part of that group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    If the name Sauvage and the product were removed from the commercial...and the volume's off... does anyone find this offensive on a purely visual basis?
    Evidently, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Primatesinplaid View Post
    For the life of me I cannot believe that anyone can be offended by anything in the ad at all.
    I happened to watch a movie trailer from the 80s the other day from a Tarzan film with Bo Derek and was rolling on the floor laughing just thinking of the “outrage” it would have caused if it was shown on today’s screens....this level of pc is insanity imo.
    I welcome any Native Americans on this board to weigh in on films from the 1980’s as a barometer of cultural awareness, and to give their opinions about how they feel about the current perfume ad’s use of Native American imagery.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy

  2. #32

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    “Theatre people” come from a diverse set of backgrounds, nationalities, and are not politically monolithic. I guess my point is that if you want to know whether something is offensive to a group, race, nation, etc., you don’t ask the opinion of people that are not part of that group.
    Any my point is asking people who vastly skew towards one side of an argument and saying that is the definite opinion for a race of people is preposterous. I hear what you say, and neither of us are incorrect.

  3. #33
    Ivory88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Posts
    1,351

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    I guess my point is that if you want to know whether something is offensive to a group, race, nation, etc., you don’t ask the opinion of people that are not part of that group.
    Apparently, the Indians involved didn't have a problem with it.

    https://qz.com/quartzy/1699531/dior-...us-sauvage-ad/
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

  4. #34

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Dear all: Please keep the conversation civil or I will ask to CANCEL the thread.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Dear all: Please keep the conversation civil or I will ask to CANCEL the thread.
    Can we steer this thread towards a more relevant topic and discuss what we feel like Jeremy Fragrance would think about the ad? Should Jeremy come out with a fragrance called Reservation for Men?

  6. #36
    Basenotes Junkie jkonick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    866

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    It’s bad judgment and poor taste on behalf of Dior, but not enough to spur a boycott. I do have Native people in my extended family so I know that representations like this are very hurtful, even if it was done with the involvement of other Native groups. There are some cool things like the PBS show Molly from Denali that are focused around the Native experience, but this as seems built to appeal to non-Natives by employing tropes with troubled history.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

    "I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

  7. #37

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Can we steer this thread towards a more relevant topic and discuss what we feel like Jeremy Fragrance would think about the ad? Should Jeremy come out with a fragrance called Reservation for Men?
    Haha, well played.

    The ad was fine, the 'outrage' predictable. I'll be happy enough when humanity finally slides into the ocean.
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    I have decided i am going to cancel dior on sept 2, 2019 based on the dior actions related to their sauvage ad campaign and atrocities committed. No dior purchases and i wont wear dior. I could not start the cancelation today since i already put on esp 2017 this am (its gorgeous).



    Dior will be uncanceled sept 3 2019.

  9. #39
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,495

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    I just watched the ad and I don't see anything wrong with it. Just my opinion. Seems to be pushing a positive, respectful image of old Native American culture from what I saw. I think someone would have to try really hard to come up with a way to call this a 'bad message'.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I just watched the ad and I don't see anything wrong with it. Just my opinion. Seems to be pushing a positive, respectful image of old Native American culture from what I saw. I think someone would have to try really hard to come up with a way to call this a 'bad message'.
    Some of the criticism is the connection of sauvage = savage as it pertains to native americans.

  11. #41
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,495

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Some of the criticism is the connection of sauvage = savage as it pertains to native americans.
    As I said. People have to seemingly invent or draw up imaginary associations to try and come up with a way to call this ad "bad". That kind of thinking can be applied to 'anything'.

  12. #42
    Super Member GioB89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    i don't see anything offensive in this ad. Well, we are in the era where being offended is a trend.

  13. #43
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    What I have found remarkable in the past few years, is the ability for people who are absolutely not concerned by any offense, to tell people who really are concerned how offended they should feel about a particular thing . And try to guilt them if they are still not offended enough .

    Now, If natives americans think, that this ad is too offensive ( From what I read, that is the case ? ), You can only respect and trust their feelings and opinions .

  14. #44

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Natives have been referring to as “savages” in the past and this is hurtful. To tie an ad campaign to a product called sauvage is a set up for trouble

  15. #45

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    I will happily boycott Sauvage.

    Not because of any indignity to indigenous people.

    Because it smells like an industrial accident.
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

  16. #46

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Natives have been referring to as “savages” in the past and this is hurtful. To tie an ad campaign to a product called sauvage is a set up for trouble
    Except Sauvage is French for Wild, not Savage.
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

  17. #47

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Except Sauvage is French for Wild, not Savage.
    Doesn’t matter it looks like savage and that’s what is bothering people.

  18. #48
    Basenotes Junkie oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    626

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Allegedly, this video was from their Sauvage release event. I am unable to verify it though:

    https://twitter.com/YazzieSays/statu...985516032?s=19

  19. #49
    Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    You are talking about theatre people. Let's not pretend here that most theatre types aren't the most liberal people in the world. It is by no means fair to consider their thoughts on the matter the be the end of discussion. That is akin to asking a guy who owns over one hundred guns and spends all his free time at a shooting range how he feels about strict gun control, and then saying his opinion is the end of discussion.
    Exactly, I've worked with a bunch of Indians (Apache, Lakota Sioux, and Cherokee), none of whom had a problem with the Redskins for example. It wouldn't matter if they did have a problem with these things, however, there's nothing wrong with a white man dressing in native attire any more than a Chinese man wearing a business suit or a Turk wearing jeans.

    By the way, did any of these professionally offended people have a problem with the Book of Mormon Musical, despite it mocking and slandering an entire religion? Of course not, bigotry is apparently ok with these people as long as the target is predominantly white, Christian, and Republican.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Their genocide is a tragedy.
    Yes, it is a tragedy that the American Indians kept genociding each other. We lost countless ethnicities in this manner. Unfortunately, there was a reason why white men called them savages and began to defend themselves. I wish the Indians were like a bunch of peace loving hippies, but as you said, Hollywood hasn't been fair in their depictions of them. Luckily, the U.S. government took extraordinary measures to preserve the remaining tribes, in spite of them having committed countless crimes against humanity.

  20. #50

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    Exactly, I've worked with a bunch of Indians (Apache, Lakota Sioux, and Cherokee), none of whom had a problem with the Redskins for example. It wouldn't matter if they did have a problem with these things, however, there's nothing wrong with a white man dressing in native attire any more than a Chinese man wearing a business suit or a Turk wearing jeans.

    QUOTE=Sheik Yerbouti;4704892]Their genocide is a tragedy.
    " Yes, it is a tragedy that the American Indians kept genociding each other. We lost countless ethnicities in this manner. Unfortunately, there was a reason why white men called them savages and began to defend themselves. I wish the Indians were like a bunch of peace loving hippies, but as you said, Hollywood hasn't been fair in their depictions of them. Luckily, the U.S. government took extraordinary measures to preserve the remaining tribes, in spite of them having committed countless crimes against humanity.[/QUOTE] "

    Ever heard of smallpox or read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee ?
    I'm not easily offended but the ignorance and racism in this comment did.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post

    Yes, it is a tragedy that the American Indians kept genociding each other. We lost countless ethnicities in this manner. Unfortunately, there was a reason why white men called them savages and began to defend themselves. I wish the Indians were like a bunch of peace loving hippies, but as you said, Hollywood hasn't been fair in their depictions of them. Luckily, the U.S. government took extraordinary measures to preserve the remaining tribes, in spite of them having committed countless crimes against humanity.
    Don’t quote me out of context.

    Most peoples have gone through a period of inter-tribal warfare including Europeans, Africans, Asians, the list is long....but that isn’t what I’m talking about. Europeans ‘discovering’ new land would often ‘clear’...more accurately annihilate and massacre native peoples it came across. Do you think they saved the Native Americans from themselves? Did they create the USA for the betterment of the Cherokee, Comanche, Ojibwe or perhaps the Cree? The same thing happened with the Aboriginal people of Australia. Much of their culture systematically destroyed by years of persecution, resource theft and being treated as subhuman in their own ancestral land by invading Europeans hundreds of years ago..
    Countless crimes against humanity by the Native Americans?
    Sauvage for sir? Want fries with that?

  22. #52
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Most ads turn me away from a fragrance anyway so I try to not pay attention to ads at all lest they degrade my enjoyment of the product.

    Beyond that, I'm not a customer for Dior fragrances and don't think I own or have tried any. I think I may have an Armaf or something that's a clone, that's about as close as I get.

    However, the triggering in this thread is highly amusing, people exposing weak minds and warped egos and such. It's like watching a nasty sewage leak from a distance.

  23. #53
    Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Don’t quote me out of context.

    Most peoples have gone through a period of inter-tribal warfare including Europeans, Africans, Asians, the list is long....but that isn’t what I’m talking about. Europeans ‘discovering’ new land would often ‘clear’...more accurately annihilate and massacre native peoples it came across. Do you think they saved the Native Americans from themselves? Did they create the USA for the betterment of the Cherokee, Comanche, Ojibwe or perhaps the Cree? The same thing happened with the Aboriginal people of Australia. Much of their culture systematically destroyed by years of persecution, resource theft and being treated as subhuman in their own ancestral land by invading Europeans hundreds of years ago..
    Countless crimes against humanity by the Native Americans?
    Sauvage for sir? Want fries with that?
    Indian tribes wiping every last man, woman, and child from the other tribe is more than inter-tribal war. Europeans didn't massacre all the Indians they came across, that's what the Indians did to whites most of the time (with mass-rape as well). The U.S. government has for a long time been saving them from themselves, at great expense. Europeans built one of the greatest civilizations in the world from scratch in America while the Indians of the time didn't even have civilization. If using land was so terrible for the Indians, why couldn't they use the land to their advantage before Europeans arrived? What other recourses did Europeans take, Buffalo? And actually, I'd like Rocky Mountain oysters with that.

  24. #54

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Please get back on topic or i will have to cancel the thread.

  25. #55
    Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Please get back on topic or i will have to cancel the thread.
    Sorry Cameron, you can cancel me if you like. To answer the question, no, I won't cancel Dior. I just bought the EDP of Sauvage, Dior Homme Intense, and want to smell the Parfum of Sauvage. Dior is my favorite house, they do wonderful work.

  26. #56
    Basenotes Junkie oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    626

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Shocking ignorance here, the USA was built on arguably the two worst atrocities in human history:

    1. The horrific transatlantic slave trade and
    2. The genocide of the indigenous people of North America

    God bless America.

  27. #57

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    To answer the question in the thread: no, my bottle of Fahrenheit Parfum is running low and I plan on re-buying soon regardless of any supposedly misjudged advertising campaigns.

  28. #58

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    Sorry Cameron, you can cancel me if you like. To answer the question, no, I won't cancel Dior. I just bought the EDP of Sauvage, Dior Homme Intense, and want to smell the Parfum of Sauvage. Dior is my favorite house, they do wonderful work.
    I love their work too but was left no choice to cancel them on the day of 9/2/2019 as punishment for their actions.

  29. #59
    Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Shocking ignorance here, the USA was built on arguably the two worst atrocities in human history:

    1. The horrific transatlantic slave trade and
    2. The genocide of the indigenous people of North America

    God bless America.
    Indeed, we got slavery from you. God save the Queen!

    P.S. "...arguably the two worst atrocities in human history?" What about the Ottoman slave trade, which was vastly more brutal and inhumane (15 million dead)? What about Maoist China (78 million dead)? What about the Holodomor, (9 million dead)?

  30. #60

    Default Re: Anyone here going to CANCEL Dior for their sauvage ad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    ... there's nothing wrong with a white man dressing in native attire any more than a Chinese man wearing a business suit or a Turk wearing jeans.
    If certain vestments did not have any sacred or other cultural significance then this statement would be true, but as it stands
    I would hope that most people on this board would be able to unpack the false equivalencies in this statement. A Native headdress and a pair of jeans are not socially or culturally equivalent.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy




Similar Threads

  1. IMO, Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray > Sauvage EDT
    By tspencer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 1st June 2018, 08:53 PM
  2. Dior Sauvage or Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray?
    By Brianramosmusic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st July 2017, 03:46 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 7th December 2016, 11:35 PM
  4. Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme & Eau Sauvage Parfum
    By lucasai in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 02:22 AM
  5. Dior Eau Sauvage or Eau Sauvage Extreme ?
    By CHSeifert in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27th September 2011, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000