Code of Conduct

Default Do you notice your fragrances get stronger as they age?

From what I know about basic chemistry is that the chemistry involved in making fragrances begins, essentially, with mixtures of notes and alcohol...with some thermodynamic changes to process the raw materials. That said, I'm sure there are still some chemical interactions that occur while the final product sits, but how significant are those changes? What have you noticed in a new bottle of a fragrance you are buying as a replacement for an empty bottle?

The motivation from this post comes from having purchased a bottle of YSL La Nuit de L'homme about mid-year 2018 and I just now sprayed it on and it last at least 2 hours longer than usual. I am getting about 3 hours of projection with at least 6 hours of performance. In fact, I can still smell it the next day. I remember it only giving me about 1 hour of projection and 3-4 hours of performance when I first bought it.

I have also noticed this with Prada L'homme and Bleu de Chanel EDP. Do you guys buy bottles and let them sit around before you start using them. I feel like I should buy a second bottle of Bleu and LNdL for when my current bottle runs out, I have an aged bottle to replace the empty one with.

Have any of you experienced this? Is this something old? Am I fooling myself?
    Rotation:

Tom Ford Noir Extreme + Molecule 01
    Georgio Armani Absolu
    Mancera Cedrat Boise
    Bleu de Chanel EDP + Molecule 01
    Dior Sauvage EDP + Molecule 04
    Creed Aventus
    YSL La Nuit de L'homme
    Parfums de Marly Layton
    Prada L'homme + Molecule 04
    Invictus
    Molecule 01, 02, 04 (I just don't like 03)
    ...with some randoms every once

Default Re: Do you notice your fragrances get stronger as they age?

I’ve heard this in regard to Aventus in particular but yeah, I think after a few uses and then time to sit I’ve experienced similar results on a few fragrances. Could be just my nose though!

Do you notice your fragrances get stronger as they age?
    Yes, but rather than state this as a general rule, there are a few in particular that I am absolutely certain have gotten stronger with passing time.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I usually notice as the bottle gets down to about 3/4 and less, it seems to be stronger. Seems to be that way across the board for all I own.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumEnd View Post
    Have any of you experienced this?
    I have personally not experienced this although have read where others have.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

It might surprise you, but fragrances go to the gym as well, modern fragrances often skip leg day, though, so they are all show on the top, only to collapse due to their lack of building a solid base to stand on.

You could say, that many modern fragrances are the Captain Upper-bodies of the perfume world.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

I have noticed this with some but not all of my fragrances. In particular with fragrances using higher quantity of naturals.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    It might surprise you, but fragrances go to the gym as well, modern fragrances often skip leg day, though, so they are all show on the top, only to collapse due to their lack of building a solid base to stand on.

You could say, that many modern fragrances are the Captain Upper-bodies of the perfume world.
    Like.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Freed from BN Institution

In my experience, no.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’m yet to experience it.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah, I've experienced this with several different fragrances. The one that comes to mind is the current formulation of Azzaro Pour Homme. When I bought it 2 or 3 years ago, it smelled good but was fleeting (gone within 90 minutes). Since then, it's gotten steadily stronger and now lasts several hours.

No, I haven't noticed this.
    Seems to me it's a difficult thing to judge objectively. A scent could seem better performing if we try it again in warmer weather, with a more discerning sense of smell after more experience in the hobby, without the affects of anosmia, after giving up smoking etc .

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I have noticed this with some but not all of my fragrances. In particular with fragrances using higher quantity of naturals.
    Exactly. For me same.

Not most, yet perhaps at least some in the scent lineup so far, especially (but not limited to) in no particular order:

Knize Ten, most if not all of the Lancetti fragrances owned including Uomo and Concentree, Cerruti 1881 Amber, vintage Heritage EDT splash, most of the Bogart fragrances, irrespective if the latter are current or vintage

to name only a few.

As much as the impression (s) of these and/or others may seem subjective, did at least somehow notice an increase in fragrance performance, though if so, neither knowing which factor (s) might have contributed to this nor exactly which precise time interval was actually needed for and contributing to such improvement

It's always hard to tell. Factors like humidity and temperature can have a big effect on how a fragrance performs or wears, to say nothing about how it's applied, etc.

But, yes, I have found some fragrances that do seem to have increased in strength over the course of ownership, particularly as I've made a good dent in the bottle. Not all of them, though.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Have never experienced a fragrance getting stronger with age. I've hoped that many would, but they don't.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

I’ve experienced thus many times, but as noted by others it doesn’t work with every fragrance.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

If the bottle isn't well-sealed, the alcohol evaporates and ends up concentrating the remaining oils and aromachemicals. I've seen this happen to the older Serge Lutens screw-cap bottles. The only other instance I'd expect a concentrating effect is when a bottle is nearing empty with a lot of air space, but that can also cause the liquid to oxidize, depending on composition.

I bought a package of a couple dozen of Baldessarini samples that had obviously evaporated a bit, confirmed by measurement to be about 15-20 percent.

They make for a nice concentrated version of the original, perfect for travel since a little goes a long way. I just dump a couple vials into a 2-3ml sprayer and I'm on my way - a week's worth easy.

I've noticed this also, but my nose got more sensitive since I've started this hobby, so this might be the reason - change of perception

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Not most, yet perhaps at least some in the scent lineup so far, especially (but not limited to) in no particular order:

Knize Ten, most if not all of the Lancetti fragrances owned including Uomo and Concentree, Cerruti 1881 Amber, vintage Heritage EDT splash, most of the Bogart fragrances, irrespective if the latter are current or vintage

to name only a few.

As much as the impression (s) of these and/or others may seem subjective, did at least somehow notice an increase in fragrance performance, though if so, neither knowing which factor (s) might have contributed to this nor exactly which precise time interval was actually needed for and contributing to such improvement
    Absolutely true. Have experienced this with Knize Ten, 1881, Bogart pour Homme, Lush Breath of God, Kouros and some vintages. I also think this has something to do with the ingredient quality.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff