Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What are some fragrances that you just can't understand why they are loved?

Hello everyone,
    Don't mean to open a can of worms here but I'm curious to hear people's opinions!

For me
    Women's it's La Vie et Belle and La Petite Robe Noir - somebody melted down a candyshop together with mosquito repellent, I just do not understand why they are popular

Men's: Creed Aventus - just don't get the hype around it
    YSL La Nuit de l'homme is also another classic that I don't really like.

What are yours?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What are some fragrances that you just can't understand why they are loved?

Too many to list. What’s there to understand? Different strokes for different folks, really.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What are some fragrances that you just can't understand why they are loved?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Too many to list. What’s there to understand? Different strokes for different folks, really.
    Exactly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Few to almost none-perhaps with few notable examples like YSL Kouros or Sculpture by Nikos

Dependent

I currently have two, Aramis Tobacco Reserve and MFK BR540(any concentration).
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Junkie

Reply to thread topic: Almost anything that smells heavily like Iso E Super, one good example being Azzaro's "Wanted by Night."
    Dior Homme, although to be fair, I tried it on my own skin..on a man it might smell better, I'm not sure? lol
    Hermes, "Terre D'Hermes." It just smells awful to my nose.
    "Jicky" by Guerlain.
    "Jazz Club" by Maison Martin Margiela, Replica Fragrances
    Bvlgari "Black"..I sprayed a bit on myself and tried very hard to wash it off immediately after!
    Guerlain "Shalimar" EDP..no...just..no.
    Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle."
    Most of the Chanel "Chance" perfumes, and also "Club de Nuit" by Armaf for women which smells like a knock-off of the original "Chance" (or one of them anyway.) Oh yeah, also, "Gucci" by Gucci EDP.

There's probably a lot more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. To my nose though, some of these that I listed are some of the "worst offenders." (To me.) To my nose, most of those smell like something really bad or unsanitary that I think a person shouldn't want to smell like! (lol) Or..in the case of some things like some of the Chance perfumes, they can just make me feel slightly nauseous! Or, with things like Dior Homme or Bvlgari "Black", they just don't smell that great to me!

Basenotes Plus

I can well understand scents like Kouros that people may not like. Very polarizing scents. That means, anything extreme:

Extremely sweet (Angel et al)

Extremely syrupy (Tobacco Vanille)

Extremely bitter (many old-style chypres don't appeal to people anymore)

Extremely floral (vintage Dior feminines for instance)

Extremely animalic (Kouros)

Extremely synthetic (Eau Sauvage)

Couldn’t have said it better myself
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Basenotes Junkie

Although I listed some (that I don't care for) this statement is true really. You could just as easily talk about fragrances that you don't understand: why wouldn't everyone love them??

I would care only to the extent that I have to be exposed to it. Generally speaking though, just because I don't wear something myself doesn't mean I don't like it. Some can be off putting, but that's extremely rare.

As to why people like a particular fragrance, whether it's one person or one hundred thousand, who the hell cares.

mostly the "different strokes for different folks" statement above, but the most headscratching offender for me is Chanel No. 5.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Basenotes Junkie

BTW, if you use the search function, did you guys know there are a number of other "what fragrances do you hate?" threads? In which almost everyone who answered was like, brutally honest.

Great first post.

Think of different fragrances like different types of food x10 and you have your answer.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    BTW, if you use the search function, did you guys know there are a number of other "what fragrances do you hate?" threads? In which almost everyone who answered was like, brutally honest.
    there is every thread done before, but we're here to have fun, LOL.

Great topic.

Theirs a lot, but Chergui, Spicebomb, BR540, Tuscan Leather and La Nuit De L'Homme are some that come to mind right away.

Chergui is one of the worse fragrances I've ever smelled. Spice bomb isn't too far behind.

Grey Flannel. I just can't. At all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    mostly the "different strokes for different folks" statement above, but the most headscratching offender for me is Chanel No. 5.
    +1-Chanel No. 5
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Chanel Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme
    Dunhill Icon
    Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronious View Post
    Great topic.

Theirs a lot, but Chergui, Spicebomb, BR540, Tuscan Leather and La Nuit De L'Homme are some that come to mind right away.

Chergui is one of the worse fragrances I've ever smelled. Spice bomb isn't too far behind.
    I enjoy all of these.

Freed from BN Institution

Add Tobacco Vanille to those already mentioned.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Another vote for chanel No.5!
    Also, Aromatics Elixir, Cabochard and "over-sprayed" Angel.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SharptoothC View Post
    Grey Flannel. I just can't. At all.
    Today’s Grey Flannel is a zombie version of the original. You can recognize what it once was, but it’s still a soulless monster that eats your brain. I wore the vintage formula today, and it’s a singular thing of beauty. But, good luck finding it: it died decades ago, and such was its popularity that people consumed virtually all of it.

Basenotes Plus

Musc Ravgeur
    Shalimar
    Angel
    Invasion Barbare
    Chergui

In other words, any scent that is overly sweet or thickly powdery and sweet. I also cannot tolerate any fragrance that smells like food or candy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Also, Aromatics Elixir, Cabochard.
    Ooof, like a knife in my heart.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Musc Ravgeur
    Shalimar
    Angel
    Invasion Barbare
    Chergui

In other words, any scent that is overly sweet or thickly powdery and sweet. I also cannot tolerate any fragrance that smells like food or candy.
    I don't understand Musc Ravageur either. It's a very linear scent to my nose.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Default What are some fragrances that you just can't understand why they are loved?

Terre D Hermes
    Everything by Tauer (especially that chemical mess Marrocan desert)
    Timbuktu and Dzongkha by L’Artisan (another Super ISO E bombs )
    Grey Vetiver
    Everything by Comme D’Garsons

Pretty much everything that has Super ISO E that people like to mistake for Cedar. Worst chemical ever used in fragrances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

no, but maybe instead try to understand why you dont love it rather than why everyone else loves it, that way you might know what you like/dislike for future reference and can avoid whatever it is that you arent a fan of.

Another for Chanel no. 5

Herod- flabbergasted

Many others

Thats a very good of putting it!

Oh yay! Somebody else doesn't get Tauer- I thought I was the only one hahaha