Code of Conduct

Default JV x NJ: The New King of Compliments

Hello brothers and sisters,

I am here with a take on a fragrance that the fragrance experts among us will not appreciate, but the masses will swoon over.

In the beginning of the summer I discovered JV x NJ, the collaboration between John Varvatos and Nick Jonas. John Varvatos has grown to be my favorite designer house, but I will still skeptical given that it was a celebrity collaboration. Iím thrilled a sale associate forced me to try it. Yes itís familiar in the sense that there are a lot of fresh scents. To me, thatís where the similarities ended. I am thrilled that I picked up a bottle because this fragrance has done wonders for me.

For me, this has elicited a significantly higher amount of compliments than Bleu De Chanel, Dior Savage, Invictus Aqua, and yes...even Aventus. Thankfully, I love it as well. While itís not ground breaking, I donít think itís close enough to any of the other fresh super star fragrances. The fruity/citrus accords of mandarin and lime are not boring at all IMO and balanced excellently with the pink pepper at the top. The fragrances maintains a very attractively ďsparklingĒ herbaceous quality, smoothed out perfectly by the lavender. I think itís the cascalone that gives it this sparklingly, almost modern barbershop feel.

A great surprise has also been the performance. I get fantastic projection with this fragrance and it looks around 8-10 hours on my skin, which is a big win for a Varvatos fragrance.

If youíre looking for a fragrances thatís a ground breaking work of olfactory art, this isnít it. That being said, this fragrance is NOT below the Dior Savages of the world, and in my humble opinion, it blows it out of the water. Well done once again, Varvatos.
    My Current Fab Five Fragrances:
    1) Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    2) YSL La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Acqua Di Gio Profumo
    4) Valentino Uomo Intense
    5) Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

Default Re: JV x NJ: The New King of Compliments

This is not my favorite thing in the world, but I would gladly take this over BdC or Sauvage.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Hťritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage ŗ L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    Hello brothers and sisters,

I am here with a take on a fragrance that the fragrance experts among us will not appreciate, but the masses will swoon over.

In the beginning of the summer I discovered JV x NJ, the collaboration between John Varvatos and Nick Jonas. John Varvatos has grown to be my favorite designer house, but I will still skeptical given that it was a celebrity collaboration. I’m thrilled a sale associate forced me to try it. Yes it’s familiar in the sense that there are a lot of fresh scents. To me, that’s where the similarities ended. I am thrilled that I picked up a bottle because this fragrance has done wonders for me.

For me, this has elicited a significantly higher amount of compliments than Bleu De Chanel, Dior Savage, Invictus Aqua, and yes...even Aventus. Thankfully, I love it as well. While it’s not ground breaking, I don’t think it’s close enough to any of the other fresh super star fragrances. The fruity/citrus accords of mandarin and lime are not boring at all IMO and balanced excellently with the pink pepper at the top. The fragrances maintains a very attractively “sparkling” herbaceous quality, smoothed out perfectly by the lavender. I think it’s the cascalone that gives it this sparklingly, almost modern barbershop feel.

A great surprise has also been the performance. I get fantastic projection with this fragrance and it looks around 8-10 hours on my skin, which is a big win for a Varvatos fragrance.

If you’re looking for a fragrances that’s a ground breaking work of olfactory art, this isn’t it. That being said, this fragrance is NOT below the Dior Savages of the world, and in my humble opinion, it blows it out of the water. Well done once again, Varvatos.
    Thank you for sharing your impressions on this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

8 hours of longevity for a John Varvatos release? Hmmm.....I may have to go back and give this another look.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I gave JVxNJ another try last week at Ulta while waiting for my flight. It was still as average scent and performance wise as I remembered it the first time.

Interesting take. I remember trying it when it first dropped but I don't remember anything about it at all, haha, like nothing. I'll check it out next time I see it.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I agree that the blue one is a compliments monster. The red one not so much.
    oh look, I have a signature

That's good to know it garners compliments. I'm looking for a crowd pleaser that I also happen to like as well. JV x NJ smelled like a fresh gourmand to me, and I liked it. Not crazy about it, but enough to give it a second try and probably purchase.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    That's good to know it garners compliments. I'm looking for a crowd pleaser that I also happen to like as well. JV x NJ smelled like a fresh gourmand to me, and I liked it. Not crazy about it, but enough to give it a second try and probably purchase.
    Blue or red? There's a world of difference between them.

I remember trying it (blue version) at the stores. It was easy enough to wear but IMO itís not one of the more memorable fragrances from this house. Kinda like Nick Jonas actually. Pleasantly bland.
    ď...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.Ē - Robin Sharma

Blog Entries

This is the Nick Jonas who is married to Priyanka Chopra? The dude has his own perfume? Lol. Nice! :-)
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I agree that the blue one is a compliments monster. The red one not so much.
    There are two of them? I've only seen the blue/purple bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Blue or red? There's a world of difference between them.
    The blue one. I've seen the red one but I haven't bothered to try it after reading the criticisms for it.

Isn't there a Silver one out now too?
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Isn't there a Silver one out now too?
    God knows, the bottles are all the same shape. Though most likely the "silver" one is JV Platinum Edition or Anniversary Edition.
    P.S. not to nitpick, but the red JV x NJ is actually named Crimson.

Don't care for celebrity scents!

Blog Entries

I stopped caring about compliments long ago.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

a quarter million, tops

It is so often intoxicating when the fairer sex casts a fanciful glance or word in your direction. It can bring the strongest man to his knees. I suppose I'll smell it if I see it again, I had dismissed it as another celebri-scent. Varvatos does good work it, just performance issues. Dark Rebel and Rider have been floating on my radar for a while, they smell so good, but they just don't perform quite up to snuff.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Varvatos does good work it, just performance issues. Dark Rebel and Rider have been floating on my radar for a while, they smell so good, but they just don't perform quite up to snuff.
    Tell it!

It will most likely end up as a TJ Maxx staple in another year or less. I may jump on it at that time. Lots of Varvatos stuff at my TJ Maxx lately....Artisan Pure, Artisan Blue, Dark Rebel, D R Rider in abundance.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    The blue one. I've seen the red one but I haven't bothered to try it after reading the criticisms for it.
    It's actually interesting, just more a "for you" scent rather than a "for everyone else" scent.

Wore this the other day and got a sample; typical miserable Varvatos performance. I feel like YSL Y EDP does this type of frag better.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Wore this the other day and got a sample; typical miserable Varvatos performance. I feel like YSL Y EDP does this type of frag better.
    Agreed. Nordstrom also RTV'd the crimson flanker, so expect it in Ross soon.

Blog Entries

I tried the blue one on the weekend and I don’t like the nuclear aquatic note. However, the huge projection is probably what brings the compliments. Similar to how Sauvage gets compliments.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator