Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Latest Thierry Mugler - A*Men Ultimate!

Anyone try this one yet? Thoughts positive and/or negative?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...=1#post4707876
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Latest Thierry Mugler - A*Men Ultimate!

An A*Men without patch?

the notes don't look very ultimate lol..
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

<reads notes>

Bergamot, Cedar, Mocaccino, Balsam fir...

<record scratch>

Mocaccino...? Really?

L'Oreal?
    No thanks

I can't get past that mocaccino business.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    <reads notes>

Bergamot, Cedar, Mocaccino, Balsam fir...

<record scratch>

Mocaccino...? Really?
    My thoughts exactly. They lucked out with Pure Coffee...it's not easy to make a coffee fragrance...maybe it's best not to push their luck.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

I’ve never worn anything in this line but I love cedar and balsam fir so maybe a great one for Christmas and Winter
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Hm. I’ve liked most of the A*Men flankers (and I really like the original), so I’d be willing to blind buy this. When you break down “moccacino” into chocolate plus coffee, those are just two notes that were always in the original A*Men and several flankers, so nothing really new there. Definitely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    My thoughts exactly. They lucked out with Pure Coffee...it's not easy to make a coffee fragrance...maybe it's best not to push their luck.
    Coffee is probably the hardest note to get right. I've tried plenty of fragrances that tried to replicate its smell, and they all didn't really come near the real thing.

They should have listed coffee and chocolate / cocoa as separate notes. To list 'mocaccino' is daft, at least in my opinion. But maybe I'm just being a grumpy git.

what's the 'half-life' ?

Always interested to smell a new Mugler as I've loved more of them than I've disliked. Only Pure Leather was a real scrub-fest for me - the rest I would happily own and wear so I will definitely try and sample this when I can. Thanks hednic.

Sounds yummy, but that bright blue color for the bottle is a baffling choice for an autumnal scent.

Basenotes Plus

I'd love to hear what folks think of this..

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Sounds yummy, but that bright blue color for the bottle is a baffling choice for an autumnal scent.
    Tell me about it. Especially with Kryptomint already in the line looking fairly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by PJM99 View Post
    Tell me about it. Especially with Kryptomint already in the line looking fairly similar.
    I really, really hope this doesn't smell anything close to Kryptomint. I love the Amen flanker series, but Kryptomint is absolutely atrocious to my nose. It's by far my least favorite from that lineup.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Everyone will hate it then 3 months after it floods Marshall's everyone will love it and bottles will be $300 on eBay just like Ultra Zest.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

Freed from BN Institution

I don't think the word ''Ultimate'' goes well with the blue rubber with blue juice appearance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Everyone will hate it then 3 months after it floods Marshall's everyone will love it and bottles will be $300 on eBay just like Ultra Zest.
    Ha- yes, that is ridiculous. Personally, if Ultra Zest was being given away, I wouldn't want a bottle.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Ha- yes, that is ridiculous. Personally, if Ultra Zest was being given away, I wouldn't want a bottle.
    I think sometimes these Mugler flankers are deliberate collector bait made to be fought over in the aftermarket, just like all the Gaultier alternates.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

But why that blue colour? As if it's an aquatic, but the notes are far from that.

When I first saw this release, first thing came to my mind is Pure Energy and Pure Shot. Hopefully all they have in common is just the colour scheme. Looking forward to try this.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Always interested to smell a new Mugler as I've loved more of them than I've disliked. Only Pure Leather was a real scrub-fest for me - the rest I would happily own and wear so I will definitely try and sample this when I can. Thanks hednic.
    Looking forward to this one also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

a quarter million, tops

I cannot abide that bottle. Sadly, this will be a pass for me, though I will definitely sample if I get a chance.

Found this online.
    A*Men, MUGLER's first men's fragrance, launched in 1996, revolutionizing the world of men's perfumes by combining sweet and intense aromas based on a fantasy universe. Inspired by the universe of superheroes found in comic books, A * Men embodies masculinity defined by extraordinary virtues and physical prowess.
    Perfumer*Jacques Huclier revisits his creation and transforms the original fragrance into a new, fresher, smoother, and more sensual version.
    "The idea was to create a fragrance that is woody, fresh, floral and gourmand at the same time, a fragrance that conveys darkness scattered with light, using the intensity of the ingredients to express the magnetic vibrations that travel across the universe. I wanted to imagine the scent of light that travels from dawn to dusk. To demonstrate the first flicker of stars, the city lights, New York skyscrapers... "*- Jacques Huclier.

A * Men Ultimate is made for modern superheroes; for men who possess the physical and mental strength to create a new, more sensual form of masculinity. "It’s more than power, it’s an attitude. More than strength, it’s his signature, somewhere between boldness and refinement. Each day brings with it a brand-new adventure."
    A * Men Ultimate offers surprises that are expressed in two dimensions. The sheer intensity of the original is first enhanced by the freshness of bergamot, which works against the dry, woody cedar note. Then comes the gourmand note of Mochacinno coffee; powerful and sensual. The base contains fir balm. The scent is modern, lively and woody.

The more I read about this the less good it sounds. I was just hoping for an updated A*Men. Brighten it up, lower the patchouli. Maybe throw in some woody aromachems. Would have thought that a good move for brand. Mochacinno doesn't bother me. It is essentially saying cocoa, coffee, and vanilla/Tonka. Probably just gonna be a gourmand sweet mess, and not at all my style.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to trying it.

Looks like a piss poor seasonal flanker for Macys

Very low down on my list of scents to test.

The name got me excited that it would be a perfume or EDP of original Amen but seeing the notes I guess not.

Where is the official notice and press release for this? All I see are announcements on perfume forums but nothing from Clarins. Some say L'Oreal is marketing it but how is that possible if there's been no reports of further negotiations between L'Oreal and Clarins for the purchase of Mugler and Azzaro since July. There's been no announcement from L'Oreal for this either, and neither should there be since they don't own the brand as of this writing.

Blog Entries

When I first saw the bottle and didn't even read the name of the frag, I thought "YES - we're getting a berry version!". Much to my disappointment. I'm not sure what to make of this really. A creamy version of Pure Coffee, without the patchouli, and more green? Hmm.. sounds strange.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's