Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default For those who wear Azzaro PH EDT

I know you'll probably all say you prefer the vintage. But what if you had to settle for buying a bottle now, as it is now. Would you / Do you still wear it?
    Does it disappoint you or do you still get pleasure out of wearing it ?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: For those who wear Azzaro PH EDT

For me, the new stuff lacks the richness of what it once was. Vintage has a warmth to it. It glows. In vintage form, it could be the one fragrance a man need own to always smell amazing and for every occasion. The new stuff is brighter and has been gutted by regulatory constraints. It’s a pass for me. I won’t begrudge anyone who is fine with the current release. But it’s not the same animal. IMO they might as well stamp on the box, “Our impression of Azzaro Pour Homme.”

The good news regarding the modern version is that you can try it for the price of meal for two at a fast food chain. Not much financial risk.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've owned several vintages but I prefer the 6-sides one made until about 5 years ago, with the embossed logo. The real difference is in the blending. Older ones were rounder and deeper, while the scent has become increasingly sharper with more note separation, but is still recognizable in my opinion as Azzaro Pour Homme. My boyfriend wears the newest version, while I wear my middle vintages, and when I smell his versus smelling mine, I don't have any cognitive dissonance on the issue.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Blend 7 by Avon

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    I know you'll probably all say you prefer the vintage. But what if you had to settle for buying a bottle now, as it is now. Would you?
    Yes - I would.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I know you'll probably all say you prefer the vintage. But what if you had to settle for buying a bottle now, as it is now. Would you / Do you still wear it?
    Does it disappoint you or do you still get pleasure out of wearing it ?
    Bought a new one the other day: nothing wrong with it! (one may try l'Aventurier by Fragonard: L.T writes: Young perfumer Jordi Fernandez is clearly as fond as I am of the old (pre-reformulation) Azzaro Homme (1978) because he has managed without slavish imitation to recreate the husky-velvety timbre of that old marvel)

It’s still fine (modern), 6.8oz bottles seem stronger might be older batch or because of the massive sprayer on it!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

I own and wear a more recent version and enjoy it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Low price good frag, I have always replaced this when empty and will continue to do so.
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Vintage is smoother because of the real oakmoss. It's very noticeable in the base, just as with Polo. Although Azzaro pH current formula still has a wearable dry down, Polo's is pretty much just butchered.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

1. One VERY VERY SMALL drop oakmoss essential oil on the back of your hand. Oakmoss is very potent.
    In fact I take a little oakmoss essential oil with the toothpick. My EO is very consistent and dark. One of my favorite EO.
    2. Three normal drops jojoba oil.
    3. One spray Azzaro pour Homme.
    4. Mix and spread them with a wood toothpick.
    5. Two more Azzaro pour Homme sprays.

If you have a better method, please share.

I imagine that vintage Azzaro pour Homme is similar, but better. I like it.

I really like the current Azzarro.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    For me, the new stuff lacks the richness of what it once was. Vintage has a warmth to it. It glows. In vintage form, it could be the one fragrance a man need own to always smell amazing and for every occasion. The new stuff is brighter and has been gutted by regulatory constraints. It’s a pass for me. I won’t begrudge anyone who is fine with the current release. But it’s not the same animal. IMO they might as well stamp on the box, “Our impression of Azzaro Pour Homme.”

The good news regarding the modern version is that you can try it for the price of meal for two at a fast food chain. Not much financial risk.
    Very well said and completely agree.

Having tried the vintage, intermediate releases and the current, I can honestly tell you that there is/are detectable differences.

To answer your question, I’d wear the new juice, but I wouldn’t grab it if I were in the mood for “Azzaro Pour Homme,” if that makes sense...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès

I have a new one (refillable bottle) . No complaints from me. A thoroughly enjoyable wear when I want a solid clean barbershop masculine with a lot of character. Go forth!

Edit: let it stew for a while.
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Very well said and completely agree.

Having tried the vintage, intermediate releases and the current, I can honestly tell you that there is/are detectable differences.

To answer your question, I’d wear the new juice, but I wouldn’t grab it if I were in the mood for “Azzaro Pour Homme,” if that makes sense...
    Sort of agree with both of you, but current does smell similar to vintage and is better than just "our impression of Azzaro pour homme", it just wears differently. I'd compare it to wearing a tailored shirt or jacket to something ill-fitting made with cheaper material off the rack. It might seem similar but you'll never be as comfortable wearing it.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Member

Yes, Azzaro PH still has it, in its current formulation.
    But if you can find something before 2010, it is worth it.
    You would know the difference immediately.

But, imagine... how distinct this thing is, one sniff and you know immediately.
    Clary sage, oakmoss and caraway, a forever combination.

Newest iteration of this scent is the only one I've ever known and I love it.

Have new and vintage. Nothing wrong with the new...vintage has richer quality

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I feel happy and relieved after reading these replies, because I have a 6. OZ bottle coming back from the US with my neighbour, along with Eau Sauvage 6 OZ EDT.

I had already chosen the Eau Sauvage because it's my signature and I find the citrus works very well here in often sultry and hot Nicaragua..almost the opposite to the Lapidus PH EDT I stumbled across recently, which was tucked away among some boxes of " replicas" in a shop, but it is the real thing and I am happy to know Lapidus, even though it probably suits a colder climate much better.

I had the choice to ask him to bring me a second bottle of something, and after thinking long and hard, it was Azzaro I settled on, partly because of the love for it here by many here at Basenotes. So, it's like waiting to meet a new friend who I've heard and imagined a lot about, but never met, and so can't deny being quite excited about it. I'm finally managing to tone down my 'desires' to match my means, which is why I settled on the more affordable ( great value) Azzaro, rather than pining for the scents I can't afford yet but secretly covet, like Dia Man, Nobile 1942 Patchouli, Mousse Illuminee etc....those can wait and I'll see the Azzaro as a more modest but classical step towards building my little collection ....and just hope that in the meantime those others don't go out of production while I;m saving up...

I can't wait to try it. It;s a bit of a co-incidence maybe that we also stumbled across Douce Amere by Lutens, which is now Exclusive, so how it ended up here I've no idea. But it's also based on anise ( and wormwood) and I am finding it to be one of my favourite notes. I read someone somewhere comparing Azzaro to Brut, but better. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    1. One VERY VERY SMALL drop oakmoss essential oil on the back of your hand. Oakmoss is very potent.
    In fact I take a little oakmoss essential oil with the toothpick. My EO is very consistent and dark. One of my favorite EO.

I imagine that vintage Azzaro pour Homme is similar, but better. I like it.

I really like the current Azzarro.

This is fascinating to me, as someone who uses an alembic to distill my own essential oils and also make my own scents using essential oils and 96 % ethanol. . I had no idea that oakmoss even existed as an essential oil...Wow, is it very expensive? I imagine it is. I would love to get hold of some of that, I love your little recipe there, right up my street, thanks again..
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 8th September 2019 at 06:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Sort of agree with both of you, but current does smell similar to vintage and is better than just "our impression of Azzaro pour homme", it just wears differently. I'd compare it to wearing a tailored shirt or jacket to something ill-fitting made with cheaper material off the rack. It might seem similar but you'll never be as comfortable wearing it.
    That’s a good analogy. Once you’ve had tailored, you’re ruined and not satisfied otherwise.

In that light, if you’ve never tried vintage then try the modern first. If you’re happy with it then forget vintage. If you’re collecting, vintage must be considered.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Never likes the opening of ApH, but the dry down is a masterpiece.

Joe, I think it would be safer to buy from Hermitage. They are praised for the quality of their essential oils.

https://hermitageoils.com/product/oakmoss-absolute/

Joe, I think it would be safer to buy from Hermitage. They are praised for the quality of their essential oils.

many thanks Emanuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidoff_Bogart_Jacomo View Post
    Never likes the opening of ApH, but the dry down is a masterpiece.
    I’ve only tried the new (refillable) version, but my impression is the opposite of this. Love the opening, but the drydown leaves something to be desired. I still like it, but I imagine vintage is much better (though I don’t plan on seeking it out any time soon).

Do you happen to know the law on posting essential oils abroad Emmanuel ? Hope it's not the same hassle as for perfumes?

Still enjoying to wear the current version, both for the actual scent and its performance-being pleased with either

Wouldn't it be better to just add a few drops in the refillable 3.4 oz Azzaro bottles? No clue what's a good/safe amount though

All the love for this scent intrigues me. I have sampled it a few times, open boxes at TJ Maxx and Marshall's, and all I get is some cheap smell and a poor construcion with a sharp piercing smell that doesn't really go away. I want to dig deeper into it, but every time I sample it, I get the same result.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Do you happen to know the law on posting essential oils abroad Emmanuel ? Hope it's not the same hassle as for perfumes?
    I dont't know, Joe. Ask Hermitage, send them an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali AD View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to just add a few drops in the refillable 3.4 oz Azzaro bottles? No clue what's a good/safe amount though
    I don't want to spoil the whole bottle. I'm not a perfumer. And I'm pretty sure it's a lot more complicated than I did. I just wanted to try what it's like with oakmoss, to catch a glimpse of what it was.

My favorite is the first reformulation/ 2nd version.

Older versions are easily found on eBay and often times very cheap.

Here’s your guide to all things vintage Azzaro: http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-pour.html?m=1
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Freed from BN Institution

I would opt not to get it as I feel there's much better choices available to wear and I probably would never reach for it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35