Code of Conduct

Default A Perfumer's Secrets: A Must-Watch Feature for Fragrance Enthusiasts

Wafts from the Loft put up this tremendously illuminating feature with Sarah McCartney of 4160 Tuesdays, bringing nuance and insight such topics as synthetic vs. natural ingredients, ambroxan (which, according to McCartney, probably isn't what you think it is), and oakmoss.

This is essential viewing for folks like me who aren't DIY perfumers and have a lot of misconceptions about how perfumes are made.

The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Default Re: A Perfumer's Secrets: A Must-Watch Feature for Fragrance Enthusiasts

This is a long video, but there are timestamps in the description to help you navigate it. The stuff about IFRA is particularly worth listening to (the suggestion that most floral perfumes are now going to have to undergo substantial reformulation is something I hadn't heard before).
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 8th September 2019 at 06:29 PM.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A Perfumer's Secrets: A Must-Watch Feature for Fragrance Enthusiasts

She also does perfume workshops in her studio which are highly recommended.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Cheers I'll make time for this

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

She also does perfume workshops in her studio which are highly recommended.
    I'd love to have her as a teacher.

Autumn Favorites

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have saved it for later viewing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Good video. I may not have learned anything new but it is always informative to see, how a perfumer thinks and Ms McCartney appears to be a kind and patient teacher.

Something different from above, rather a more introspective view of a perfumer's mind
    https://www.bbc.com/worklife/gallery...s-of-perfumers

Thank you for the post link. You can tell when someone cares a lot about her craft.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Junkie

I watched this a few days ago. Well worth your time and a good idea by the lads.