Code of Conduct

Default Rare Chanel Sycomore 15ml Parfum version

Hello,
    My name is Wilhelm and I am new to Basenotes but I am a fragrance collector.
    Recently A friend of mine agreed to sell me a few bottles of a 2008 Batch of Sycomore EDT from her prized collection and was kind enough to include a parfum edition as a gift. She explained to me that Chanel had this Parfum sent out to a select few stores and to have some customers try them out at the time that other parfum fragrances were about to be released such as Cuir de Russie etc.. I was wondering if anyone else has a bottle of the Sycomore as I’m sure I’m not the only one in possession of these unicorns. 77403F3E-5014-485A-8C25-400519C0EDF5.jpg52A0D5D0-F915-4D8F-8A54-D7416AEDF3B8.jpg

Default Re: Rare Chanel Sycomore 15ml Parfum version

I've never seen or heard of this one before... If it was a trial run to gauge popularity in the stores, it may be a unicorn indeed!

Whoa! Interesting. If the parfum amplifies the sandalwood aspect I can’t say I’m interested.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It seems that you stumbled upon a unique find.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Gahhhhhh IT DOES EXIST!!!

Thanks for replying to my post in the other thread. I was going to ask if you'd kindly share some photos, but lo and behold. Thanks for sharing! Care to share any thoughts in regards to the EdT or EdP? What a great find. I'm not sure whether to be excited that Chanel at least tried and hold out for a repeat performance, or be gutted that they put the Sycomore Parfum feelers out there a decade ago, saw little to no interest, and now there's next to zero chance they'll go down that road again.

All I know is, somewhere a Cook.bot is drooling all over her catburgler gear while she tries to pry any metadata she can from those photos you posted. Hide your daughters, hide your Sycomore Parfum.
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    All I know is, somewhere a Cook.bot is drooling all over her catburgler gear while she tries to pry any metadata she can from those photos you posted. Hide your daughters, hide your Sycomore Parfum.
    I managed to stop myself in mid-drool with a dose of reality.

I mean, sure, who wouldn't want this rarity in their Chanel collection, even if they weren't an obsessively ga-ga Sycomore fan? But my experience with my other Chanel favorites has taught me that for pure wearability, I invariably prefer the EDT versions to the parfums. The parfums are classically lovely, soft-spoken and genteel. The EDTs are spiky, bolder, outspoken. The parfums are Ingrid Bergman and the EDTs are Katharine Hepburn.

I guess I'm just a spiky kind of gal.

lisa.jpg

Wilourosen, I did notice that when you mentioned the Sycomore parfum over in the Coromandel thread, you said this:

Quote Originally Posted by wilourosen View Post
    It’s very intense. I plan on keeping it as part of my collection.
    Maybe you could expand a little on how you experience the intensity of the Sycomore parfum versus the EDT versions you have?
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

Freed from BN Institution

I haven't seen this one before either. I'm curious of how this one compares to the EDT concentration.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Hello,
    My name is Wilhelm and I am new to Basenotes but I am a fragrance collector.
    Recently A friend of mine agreed to sell me a few bottles of a 2008 Batch of Sycomore EDT from her prized collection and was kind enough to include a parfum edition as a gift. She explained to me that Chanel had this Parfum sent out to a select few stores and to have some customers try them out at the time that other parfum fragrances were about to be released such as Cuir de Russie etc.. I was wondering if anyone else has a bottle of the Sycomore as I’m sure I’m not the only one in possession of these unicorns.
    Thank you.

Attn: What does the parfum smell like?

Hello all,
    i apologize for the delay, i had written a lengthy reply from my mobile phone only to realize that the system had logged me out just as i was attempting to post it, when i tried to go back all that wrote was gone....sigh

When my friend decided to sell me the 200ml bottle from 2008 she had explained to me that Sycomore Eau De Toilette had gone through as many as 4 stages of formulations until 2016. Along with the 6.8oz bottle she had included 4 travel size spray bottles each containing a juice from the different periods. The first era (2008) in my opinion is the most "balanced" of them all, striking a perfect equilibrium between the citrus-rind notes and the wonderful smoky Vetiver we all know and love. The second era (2009-2010) finds the citrus-rind notes a bit diminished allowing the vetiver to play a more important note, but overall i think is the most "mysterious" of them all. The third era had the most pronounced reformulation and saw the Vetiver become muted, the citrus notes are clearly the main players here and to me it is the "freshest" of them all, this version though to me although beautiful in its own way carries no secrets in its heart, it is pleasant and friendly and dare i say even playful. The final era of this fragrance by Polge has the signature citrus oils stripped after of the IFRA regulations and the Vetiver takes a sumptuously dark turn thus delivering a feeling of an unmistakable smoky fire burning scent until 2016, to me it is the darkest of them all, full of will and character.

The Parfum to my nose evolves in a very linear fashion and is a lot less "complex" in its structure. The rind notes are present and are ushered in the opening with lots of intensity, the perfume is very smooth all the way to its dry down. It does smell different from its EDT cousins. Longevity i would say is around 6 hours but i do think that since the bottle was already at 90% when i got it i am sure that it was even more potent when new. I do apologize if my description reflects more my sentimental impression of the fragrances rather than accurate depictions of the individual notes themselves but this is the way i have always approached perfumes, my nose is not as well trained as others.
    I am in the process of acquiring yet another 2008 edition bottle from her prized collection but this time it will be a rare 8oz splash bottle. Apparently Chanel used to release their fragrances in that size but then later decided to reduce the actual juice content to 6.8oz by "beefing up" the glass on the inside of the bottle, another "clever sales tactic" by Chanel...(rolls eyes)

I live in Los Angeles and if any of you is ever in town you are welcome to get your nose on the Parfum that i have.
    Take care, Wihelm

Addendum: if any of you are interested in reading the reactions after the release of the 3rd era EDT, you can find it here in this link from 2013: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324...still-the-same

As we can imagine people did not receive it well since the Vetiver was toned down a lot in that formulation.

Hello all,
    i apologize for the delay, i had written a lengthy reply from my mobile phone only to realize that the system had logged me out just as i was attempting to post it, when i tried to go back all that wrote was gone....sigh

When my friend decided to sell me the 200ml bottle from 2008 she had explained to me that Sycomore Eau De Toilette had gone through as many as 4 stages of formulations until 2016. Along with the 6.8oz bottle she had included 4 travel size spray bottles each containing a juice from the different periods. The first era (2008) in my opinion is the most "balanced" of them all, striking a perfect equilibrium between the citrus-rind notes and the wonderful smoky Vetiver we all know and love. The second era (2009-2010) finds the citrus-rind notes a bit diminished allowing the vetiver to play a more important note, but overall i think is the most "mysterious" of them all. The third era had the most pronounced reformulation and saw the Vetiver become muted, the citrus notes are clearly the main players here and to me it is the "freshest" of them all, this version though to me although beautiful in its own way carries no secrets in its heart, it is pleasant and friendly and dare i say even playful. The final era of this fragrance by Polge has the signature citrus oils stripped after of the IFRA regulations and the Vetiver takes a sumptuously dark turn thus delivering a feeling of an unmistakable smoky fire burning scent until 2016, to me it is the darkest of them all, full of will and character.

The Parfum to my nose evolves in a very linear fashion and is a lot less "complex" in its structure. The rind notes are present and are ushered in the opening with lots of intensity, the perfume is very smooth all the way to its dry down. It does smell different from its EDT cousins. Longevity i would say is around 6 hours but i do think that since the bottle was already at 90% when i got it i am sure that it was even more potent when new. I do apologize if my description reflects more my sentimental impression of the fragrances rather than accurate depictions of the individual notes themselves but this is the way i have always approached perfumes, my nose is not as well trained as others.
    I am in the process of acquiring yet another 2008 edition bottle from her prized collection but this time it will be a rare 8oz splash bottle. Apparently Chanel used to release their fragrances in that size but then later decided to reduce the actual juice content to 6.8oz by "beefing up" the glass on the inside of the bottle, another "clever sales tactic" by Chanel...(rolls eyes)

I live in Los Angeles and if any of you is ever in town you are welcome to get your nose on the Parfum that i have.
    Take care, Wihelm
    Wilhelm, Thanks for the excellent info and unique perspective.

I bought a bottle in 2008. It smelled great, I wore it all the time. Probably more fresh-citrusy and might have had more of that "strange, natural accord shifting from shade to shade of deepest olive". I have two 6.8oz EDT bottles with a batch code of 9401 - manufactured in 2015 apparently. Fresh enough but ultimately earthy-smoky and plenty of character. Whatever, they’re great.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th September 2019 at 05:29 AM.

Sure, it’s always a please to talk about these wonderful fragrances.
    The 2015 batch is definitely the final era of the EDT, I don’t own a full bottle of that period but definitely will be hunting down a sealed bottle.
    I bought one used (99% full) on eBay at a very reasonable price. But even thought the seller claimed that it was stored in a cool dark place in her closet it had lost its freshness and longevity. It was a genuine Sycomore bottle but the punch was gone from the scent. I eventually returned it for a full refund luckily. From now on I’m only getting sealed ones

Basenotes Member

wilourosen: Thank you.
    Your post is like a jolt, a literal blast from the past.

I thought I would never see Sycamore parfum again in this lifetime (I never saw the bottle, only the box).
    This is 2008-2009, was in Vancouver, BC Chanel Boutique and while I was sampling, the boutique manager was helping these two Chinese ladies, one of them spoke a dialect of Cantonese, not the mainland Mandarin.
    I remember the reaction of the older woman (in her fifties, nothing unusual except she was wearing Haute Couture Chanel skirt and jacket). On sampling Sycamore the way she looked at the younger woman... hah, the look was meant at her (not for her) I think, but a look of understanding seemed to pass, and their silent interaction made me a bit uncomfortable, as if she had hinted at something forbidden in that look. She nodded and said something along the lines of that she, the Manager, was already aware of her taste but found this a tad lacking.

Manager, tall, well dressed woman said, Madame, for our esteemed patrons, we have a special gift. The younger SA scurried away from me to the back of the store and came back with a box embossed with the interlocking CC, there was no name on it. She said, it is the parfum for this perfume.
    And instead of opening the box, pulled out a blotting strip and a long dark vial from a back drawer, she said there were no tester for this. It was very limited.
    The older Lady sampled it for a while, eyes closed, and when she opened them, she looked right at me.... (and I had thought there was nothing special about her), her eyes were piercing, dark and glittering... the first words in my head were, serpent-eyes.
    She was very pleased and asked for another bottle as well, and the answer she got was, this is simply not in the market, Madame--. (the Manager said her name)

The most bewildering thing of the entire episode was, there I sat on a high bar stool, staring at this whole drama and all those other women ignored me as if I wasn't even there. Except the eyes of that woman. I asked around about her name later from friends in Vancouver, she turned out to be the wife of a Business tycoon who held half the real estate along the water front. One of my colleagues shuddered and said, she is something else, like a deadly geisha.
    The birch tar, the dark vetiver, the tobacco ash, all of it so restrained (it is never loud), cocooned in a dark, diaphanous perfumed veil but you see in flashes entity lurking underneath.
    That is how I have always perceived Sycamore's scent since then.... the serpent's soul in a geisha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Moncreiff View Post

I thought I would never see Sycamore parfum again in this lifetime (I never saw the bottle, only the box).
    This is 2008-2009, was in Vancouver, BC Chanel Boutique and while I was sampling, the boutique manager was helping these two Chinese ladies, one of them spoke a dialect of Cantonese, not the mainland Mandarin.
    I remember the reaction of the older woman (in her fifties, nothing unusual except she was wearing Haute Couture Chanel skirt and jacket). On sampling Sycamore the way she looked at the younger woman... hah, the look was meant at her (not for her) I think, but a look of understanding seemed to pass, and their silent interaction made me a bit uncomfortable, as if she had hinted at something forbidden in that look. She nodded and said something along the lines of that she, the Manager, was already aware of her taste but found this a tad lacking.

Manager, tall, well dressed woman said, Madame, for our esteemed patrons, we have a special gift. The younger SA scurried away from me to the back of the store and came back with a box embossed with the interlocking CC, there was no name on it. She said, it is the parfum for this perfume.
    And instead of opening the box, pulled out a blotting strip and a long dark vial from a back drawer, she said there were no tester for this. It was very limited.
    The older Lady sampled it for a while, eyes closed, and when she opened them, she looked right at me.... (and I had thought there was nothing special about her), her eyes were piercing, dark and glittering... the first words in my head were, serpent-eyes.
    She was very pleased and asked for another bottle as well, and the answer she got was, this is simply not in the market, Madame--. (the Manager said her name)

The most bewildering thing of the entire episode was, there I sat on a high bar stool, staring at this whole drama and all those other women ignored me as if I wasn't even there. Except the eyes of that woman. I asked around about her name later from friends in Vancouver, she turned out to be the wife of a Business tycoon who held half the real estate along the water front. One of my colleagues shuddered and said, she is something else, like a deadly geisha.
    The birch tar, the dark vetiver, the tobacco ash, all of it so restrained (it is never loud), cocooned in a dark, diaphanous perfumed veil but you see in flashes entity lurking underneath.
    That is how I have always perceived Sycamore's scent since then.... the serpent's soul in a geisha.
    very interesting and entertaining anecdote, thanks for sharing !

Fabulous! Shades of Fu Manchu. Made me run for my bottle of Sycomore!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Fabulous! Shades of Fu Manchu. Made me run for my bottle of Sycomore!
    And a female Fu Manchu at that.
    I think, she may have beaten him at the diabolical part with that very deceptive exterior.
    Also, one thing I forgot to mention, I observed how comfortable that lady was with an audience to her drama.
    As if used to background folks as one carries on one’s life.

I also had a glimpse into a side of perfumery that one doesn’t see often.

And I have never bought a Sycamore bottle.
    A sample has sufficed for my collection.

Sycamore/Sycomore

This is mesmerizing.
    Im under her spell already.
    Best,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Wow!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle