Code of Conduct
o
    Blog Entries

Question Possible Sticky Thread: Today I got a compliment while wearing:

If a thread like this exists, could somebody link me please. I only see "which gets you the most female compliments" sticky thread. How about a thread for just random compliments in any given day/from anyone, male or female. If this seems like a good idea, maybe we can make this a sticky, or change the name of the already popular "most female compliments" thread to just "compliments".

There are a lot of days where I get just one compliment from and acquaintance at work, a co worker, or even an unsolicited one from somebody I've just met, and a lot of times, they are from men, asking me what I'm wearing. Which is not the criteria for the "most female compliments" topic.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Blog Entries

Default Re: Possible Sticky Thread: Today I got a compliment while wearing:

Anyways, I'll start with today. Today I was working with someone I know but works at another facility and was just filling in today. He asked me what I was wearing, and I said "you've most likely never heard of it". We got into a short conversation where he explained he owns about 13 fragrances, and loves "colognes", and I said I owned close to 400. His eyes lit up, and I don't think he believed me. I showed him a couple pics on my phone and he was infatuated, pointing out bottles he recognized. He still wondered what I was wearing today, I insisted he wouldn't know of it, he asked the first letter, and I said "H", he named some brand I never heard of, then he named "Holister", I said "no, just give up". He said "ok, what is it", and I said Halloween.. and before I could finish he said he had heard of it, and it comes in a purple bottle, which is true! I was shocked, because I didn't think many average Joe's would even have heard of the brand. Though I told him, it's not the Halloween I am wearing. I told him, it's a limited edition called Halloween X, and has a main note of coffee. He said it smelled really good and familiar. It does kind of smell like Polo Red Extreme, which is probably what he was thinking of. He kept coming back over to me throughout today, and said I was the only one who smelled good in there, lol

I love days when I get compliments that turn into conversations about fragrances. Those are the best, imo.

I think the most female compliments thread has basically turned into daily stories like this so they could change name

That is a great story and honestly never heard of Halloween.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Yeah, I think this is what the other thread has become, which is probably more "useful" than the the other title. I say replace the title with this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I think the most female compliments thread has basically turned into daily stories like this so they could change name

That is a great story and honestly never heard of Halloween.
    Halloween is a spinoff from Jesus del Pozo. They have about 4 or 5 flankers to the original. I'm not sure what caused the separation of the house. I think Halloween is kind of a strange name for a brand. I own Shot and X and both are really nice, good values if you enjoy sweeter frags.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Yeah, I think this is what the other thread has become, which is probably more "useful" than the the other title. I say replace the title with this one.
    I see..

I try to follow criteria for titles so that topic stays on track. I have A LOT of compliment stories I wouldn't mind sharing, but there's just no place to really put them, and I don't wanna make a fresh new topic every time.

Basenotes Plus

I like stories.

Thanks for sharing. I’m amazed he’s heard of Halloween fragrances, a line I’ve never even heard of till today.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Just put these compliments in the female compliments thread. I don’t think mods will ban you if you put a male compliment you got on a given day In the already stickied thread.

Thanks for sharing the story

Yeah, the "Which Fragrance gets you the most Female Compliments" has pretty much become the "which fragrance got you a compliment today" thread. Although it *has* been kind of restricted to female compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Yeah, the "Which Fragrance gets you the most Female Compliments" has pretty much become the "which fragrance got you a compliment today" thread. Although it *has* been kind of restricted to female compliments.
    You know what? Today I got a compliment from another straight man today while in the elevator. It was perhaps the most awkward thing ever - a guy that wanted to know what I was wearing and wanted to make me 100% sure that he was interested in just the fragrance and nothing else.

I've seen threads here where other men wondered what a particular scent could possibly be without approaching the person. Now I totally get it. It should be some simple protocol to just give a compliment, ask what the person is wearing and call it a day.

Anyway, I was wearing Papyrus Oud (from sample).
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Yep. It has happened. They tell you to knock it off, then you ask what they mean, and then you get banned. lol
    Tread carefully! haha
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

If the compliments thread were in the General Fragrance Discussion forum it might be clearer it could be fragrances for anyone. Maybe a mod could combine the threads there with an inclusive title. Just a thought.

I got a compliment last Friday in a rather unexpected setting. I was buying some apples at a farmer’s market stand in the parking lot of a thruway rest stop, wearing Mon Guerlain, and the farmer, a lady, said “I love your perfume; it smells really good.” That made my day. I was pleasantly surprised it stood out among the fruits and vegetables.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Received a compliment yesterday from a guy friend whom I've known for a few years now. I was wearing Mousse Illuminee and he asked me what it was, how much it cost, googled it on his phone, etc. Turns out he is a fellow "frag head" as well, and has around 30 bottles. I told him I would bring him a small decant, and gave it to him earlier tonight, along with a few other small decants. I also let him smell some vintage Dunhill Edition and Tom Ford Beau de Jour, which he liked as well. I never knew he was a fragrance enthusiast, and he didn't know I was either. Pretty cool.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Received a compliment yesterday from a guy friend whom I've known for a few years now. I was wearing Mousse Illuminee and he asked me what it was, how much it cost, googled it on his phone, etc. Turns out he is a fellow "frag head" as well, and has around 30 bottles. I told him I would bring him a small decant, and gave it to him earlier tonight, along with a few other small decants. I also let him smell some vintage Dunhill Edition and Tom Ford Beau de Jour, which he liked as well. I never knew he was a fragrance enthusiast, and he didn't know I was either. Pretty cool.
    Great story. Surprisingly more common than we may think. Like in my experience the other day, this guy knew the brand Halloween, but he had never heard of fragnet, lol. I have never seen Halloween frags at any retail department store, but maybe I missed it somewhere?

For me what's odd with compliments is that I usually only get compliments from frags that I wouldn't expect people to compliment, or even notice. I absolutely love Eau des Baux, and I know when I wear it, that people can smell it, because it's strong, but yet I don't think I have ever received a compliment. While getting compliments from stuff like Halloween X, and Ocean Pacific Gold.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Great story. Surprisingly more common than we may think. Like in my experience the other day, this guy knew the brand Halloween, but he had never heard of fragnet, lol. I have never seen Halloween frags at any retail department store, but maybe I missed it somewhere?
    I saw a few flankers somewhere in duty free at the airport...

Freed from BN Institution

Received a complement when wearing a Creed Aubepine Acacia. Coworker asked me where can I get this stuff? I said: you can't.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed