Code of Conduct

Thread: Longevity Hacks

Basenotes Member

Default Longevity Hacks

What are your personal tricks and tips to increase longevity of a fragrance?!

Default Re: Longevity Hacks

Pick the right fragrance.
    Spray on clothes fabric.
    Don’t overspray. Less is more sometimes.
    And avoid spraying on areas close to my nose.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Moisturize skin with unscented lotion before applying fragrance to skin
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Spraying less and forcing yourself to notice it more. Using hair follicles on bare arms or spraying into hair on the back of your head to diffuse fragrance.
    oh look, I have a signature

I never have a problem.

But I:

Exfoliate my body and use a good quality moisturizer so do not have dry skin.
    DONNA

1. Don’t spray close to the nose. While not affecting longevity as such, this will make your nose go fatigue (i.e. decreasing longevity for you).
    2. Spray under your clothes. Fabric helps fixating scents.
    3. Spray on the back of your hair. Same reason as above. If you have a hairy chest you can kill two birds with one stone by spraying under your shirt. Or under your sleeves, if you have hairy arms.
    4. Don’t spray on pulse points. Heat makes fragrances evaporate faster.
    5. Don’t spray directly after showering. Don’t know whether it’s the increased temperature of your body, the washing away of oils from the skin, or the opening of your pores, but spraying right after a shower tends to decrease longevity for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    4. Don’t spray on pulse points. Heat makes fragrances evaporate faster.
    5. Don’t spray directly after showering. Don’t know whether it’s the increased temperature of your body, the washing away of oils from the skin, or the opening of your pores, but spraying right after a shower tends to decrease longevity for me.
    4. Traditional advice (at least from what I've heard) says that you should spray pulse points. Can you guys share your thoughts on this?

5. This is something that I am guilty of. I'll have to try spraying later after my shower and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    4. Traditional advice (at least from what I've heard) says that you should spray pulse points. Can you guys share your thoughts on this?

5. This is something that I am guilty of. I'll have to try spraying later after my shower and see how that works.
    The idea is if you want a fragrance to project then the fragrance needs to be made out of molecules that evaporate quickly as that's how the fragrance is spread through the air. If you want a fragrance to last a long time then it should be chemicals that don't evaporate quickly. People say spray on pulse points if you want to have projection since the body heat will help to evaporate a fragrance. It follows then if you want a fragrance to stay a long time on the body to avoid those pulse points.

In reality I think that the composition of the fragrance matters more than anything else. I do think the substrate that you apply fragrance to (skin and cloth) can factor in, and perhaps pulse points can be kept in mind, but some fragrances are just not meant to last and others are not meant to project. You don't drink coffee expecting it to taste like green tea, so don't apply Dior's Eau Sauvage expecting it to be like Montale's Black Aoud.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    Agree with this as I have found the same when applying something after work, it projects better and lasts longer as opposed to spraying in the morning after a shower.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Don’t over spray. Less is more sometimes.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    The idea is if you want a fragrance to project then the fragrance needs to be made out of molecules that evaporate quickly as that's how the fragrance is spread through the air. If you want a fragrance to last a long time then it should be chemicals that don't evaporate quickly. People say spray on pulse points if you want to have projection since the body heat will help to evaporate a fragrance. It follows then if you want a fragrance to stay a long time on the body to avoid those pulse points.
    Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

Basenotes Junkie

Spray under your shirt. Just for example, if I spray one each side of my neck Sung Homme it's so strong it burns my eyes for 2 hours and then disappears. If I spray 4 sprays on my chest under undershirt, then put my outer shirt on it holds back the monster projection and performs subtly for 8 to 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    As CutSmut said, spraying your pulse points supposedly increases projection at the cost of longevity. I read it somewhere long ago and it seemed to make sense. Heat increases evaporation. It was also in line with my personal experience, so I just bought the idea. To be honest though, I am not really sure why spraying your wrists decreases longevity. Should have worded my post more cautiously. I don’t know whether our pulse points are in fact hotter than other places on our body, and a quick google search did not give a definitive answer. And even if they are, the difference may be too little to have a noticeable impact. It may just as well have to do with the fact that your wrists are often in contact with other stuff, such as a laptop, or that they are easily exposed to water when you wash your hands. As for spraying behind the ears, it may simply have to do with nose fatigue.

Weather is a big factor. As well as how you control your body temperature. The other day I applied 4 small sprays of Rose & Cuir on clothes, but the day turned really warm and it started to stink (not a comment on how well the scent smelled but how strong it was compared to hours earlier) because of the overall warmth. It wasn't too bad but a sensitive person wearing might himself/herself/itself/themselves/etc.shelves experience discomfort going from moderate projection to high and substantial.

Exercise tends to make fragrances come to life a lot of times, even if they have died down after many hours of wear.

IME frags tend to last a very long time on fabric, many of them, even if they have faded for the most part on skin after 6 hours they might linger on fabric for days weeks or months. 1969 by HdP is my favorite example, I sprayed 1 spray on one arm (not the fabric but my skin) and it stuck to the fabric for months and people could comment vividly on the "candy" smell many months after application.