Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Which one do you prefer between vtg. Paco Rabanne pour Homme and vtg. Azzaro pour Homme?

Curious.

I haven't tried vintage Azzaro. I have vintage Paco (2nd formulation), which I much prefer to current versions of either Paco or Azzaro.

I wonder if vintage Azzaro is worth hunting down?

Thanks!
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Which one do you prefer between vtg. Paco Rabanne pour Homme and vtg. Azzaro pour Homme?

In your case; I’d think it’s worth it. It’s one of the few vintages that were mainstream and yet can still find examples that don’t cost a child’s ransom. I find 1et formula APH more versatile than 1st formula PRPH. But both are masterpieces to me that are doing somewhat different things. PRPH manages to be balmy, thick, mossy, and green all at once whereas APH is more warm and glowing with moss and anise. Cooler vs warmer. PRPH makes me think of riding a motorcycle through a mossy redwood forest in a cool late afternoon. APH makes me think of pulling my Ferrari over on coastal drive to enjoy a sunset.

Never mind all that. I’m tired and delirious. Lol Get you a 1oz vintage spray of APH and be happy.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Which one do you prefer between vtg. Paco Rabanne pour Homme and vtg. Azzaro pour Homme?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    In your case; I’d think it’s worth it. It’s one of the few vintages that were mainstream and yet can still find examples that don’t cost a child’s ransom. I find 1et formula APH more versatile than 1st formula PRPH. But both are masterpieces to me that are doing somewhat different things. PRPH manages to be balmy, thick, mossy, and green all at once whereas APH is more warm and glowing with moss and anise. Cooler vs warmer. PRPH makes me think of riding a motorcycle through a mossy redwood forest in a cool late afternoon. APH makes me think of pulling my Ferrari over on coastal drive to enjoy a sunset.
    Hmmm, one of the reasons I enjoy Paco is because of that mossy-green character (perfectly balanced out with a touch of honey ....). I am very familiar with the (sort of) current versions of Azzaro, I went through 100 ml of the stuff in 2012-14, and then had another bottle briefly in 2016-17 (the refillable version, IMO a tad richer/smoother and much more long-lasting with better sillage than my earlier bottle). I have always wondered how the vintage would be different (especially if oakmoss was/is the biggest difference between the two versions).

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Never mind all that. I’m tired and delirious.
    For some reason this reminded me of the book "On The Road" ...... :-)
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I haven't tried vintage Azzaro. I have vintage Paco (2nd formulation), which I much prefer to current versions of either Paco or Azzaro.

I wonder if vintage Azzaro is worth hunting down?
    I think it's worth it, given that it's not expensive. I have a second version bottle, which is great, and the original formulation is still readily available as well. The vintage APH Intense is a bit pricey, though (and even that isn't crazy—just more than I've decided I'll pay).

I haven't A/B'd my APH against my first formulation Paco, but I know I'm very happy with both.
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme is closer to the barbershop paradigm than current Azzaro Pour Homme while both vintage and current Paco Rabanne Pour Homme stay closer to the barbershop paradigm than any version of Azzaro, however as Diddy remarked is less versatile due to the scent profile. If you're less satisfied overall with Azzaro than Paco Rabanne but have never tried it in vintage, this may steer your opinion of it more positively, but it's really the same scent as current but without the sharpness. Consider vintage Azzaro the "niche budget" version, as it goes for the rounder plusher blending most luxury lines try to sell at a premium these days.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme is closer to the barbershop paradigm than current Azzaro Pour Homme while both vintage and current Paco Rabanne Pour Homme stay closer to the barbershop paradigm than any version of Azzaro, however as Diddy remarked is less versatile due to the scent profile. If you're less satisfied overall with Azzaro than Paco Rabanne but have never tried it in vintage, this may steer your opinion of it more positively, but it's really the same scent as current but without the sharpness. Consider vintage Azzaro the "niche budget" version, as it goes for the rounder plusher blending most luxury lines try to sell at a premium these days.
    Yes! If current Azzaro Pour Homme was Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDT, then vintage Azzaro Pour Homme is Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait. Club de Nuit Intense, and Aventus?

Unrestrained Wanderer, check your pm.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I think so.

I personally really enjoy it and I think you’d appreciate it as well.

In terms of what I like best, I’d say it’s a toss-up..
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

To answer the thread question - The Paco Rabanne although I do like the Azzaro - both being the original releases.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have both, but would much prefer the vintage Paco Rabanne.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626