Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cant believe what i saw at sephora

So yesterday I stopped in sephora, and trying to make my way to the men's colognes. There were two guys I guess were getting ready to go out, though not sure at all. They picked up versace eros, and dylan blue. Both of them started to spray themselves all over like mad. I lost count, but had to be at least 25-30+ sprays. They hit every spot on the clothes, I have never seen anything like it. Other customers were just staring at them, then they even had the nerve to ask for samples??? They gave it to them I am shocked.

Later I was talking to the sales assistant and I said you know those guys sprayed or more like doused themselves almost half the bottle? She said oh I know we get people in here all the time.

I cannot imagine being in an enclosed space after that like a subway ride. Here I am thinking my usual 3-4 sprays of anything is a lot, but maybe that is why I hardly get compliments unless someone is practically up close.

That just baffled me why someone would do that, I even saw them do it under their armpit. I am shocked sephora still gives out samples on a regular basis when you have customers who abuse like that.

Default Re: cant believe what i saw at sephora

In some countries, it is customary to spray 10-15 times. Different social norms....

As for the abuse of shop testers, I might agree. Though I find it hard to sympathize with Sephora, whose owner has not done anything to prevent IFRA's attack on the fragrance industry.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

The behavior of some never ceases to amaze me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Some don't adhere to our various norms. If something is freely offered, they will abuse and not respect its purpose.

It's up to Sephora to do something about it, but they have great customer service which gives benefit of the doubt. And I prefer it that way, compared to the icy Nieman Marcus counters.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Some don't adhere to our various norms. If something is freely offered, they will abuse and not respect its purpose.

It's up to Sephora to do something about it, but they have great customer service which gives benefit of the doubt. And I prefer it that way, compared to the icy Nieman Marcus counters.
    I am not sure what bothered me more, taking advantage or just spraying so many times, I did not count so could be 20-30 or more it was literally non stop for a few minutes, and just the thought of them going into a subway after LOL

Yup, I used to see that behavior all the time.
    When I sold fragrances we had one guy who would lift up his t-shirt spray his chest, and then, unbutton his pants and spray his underwear.
    Another guy would spray Gucci by Gucci and Gucci Sport in his mouth.
    Women would "bathe" themselves in Coco Mademoiselle, Angel, Shalimar, Red Door and Chance Eau Tendre. Some would use the fragrances as a deodorant.
    We had one woman complain a Coco Mademoiselle tester reeked of vinegar, which it was. The factice/dummy was glued to a Chanel counter-top display, and she used her keys to pry it off!
    We called them "dousers".

I’ve seen EXACT same thing twice once in duty free in germany airport and another at a Douglas parfumerie in Germany by one of the SAs.

Maybe it is a cultural thing among younger men. It was crazy like a models photo shoot spray spray spray spray spray instead of snap snap snap snap. I think youth in USA sprays like this too’and There may be some with ethnic/cultural norms too? I don’t know about latter

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post

Maybe it is a cultural thing among younger men. It was crazy like a models photo shoot spray spray spray spray spray instead of snap snap snap snap. I think youth in USA sprays like this too’and There may be some with ethnic/cultural norms too? I don’t know about latter
    LOL that made me laugh exactly what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In some countries, it is customary to spray 10-15 times. Different social norms....
    This could be a large part of it. Or just a lack of courtesy and taking advantage of what is freely available. I saw a gentleman in Nordstrom spray his skin and jacket with Green Irish Tweed about 20 times once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    This could be a large part of it. Or just a lack of courtesy and taking advantage of what is freely available. I saw a gentleman in Nordstrom spray his skin and jacket with Green Irish Tweed about 20 times once.
    I've seen it before while shopping. A lot of the department stores around here keep their sprayers behind the counter and you have to ask for a spray. Obviously Sephora can't do this.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I've seen this with actual Sephora/JCPenney SAs who would go into the Sephora section and spray Dior Homme a few times and go back to their stations. Nothing egregious as what you described with those guys, but these SAs do it multiple times a day.
    Currently wearing: Ambra Calabria by Nishane

Couple of days ago I was in the largest department store in Holland, called De Bijenkorf and there was a counter with different fragrances also Creed and there was a sales girl. All kinds of bottles with Creed you could test, however no Aventus. I asked her about it and wanted to try Aventus. (Only tried it 2 times thus far) She said she had it, she took it from behind a promotion card and let me try it. I asked how come you dont show it to public. Well because of all the people who just spray it and use it like a scent they have at home. The test bottle finishes really fast and is annoying for sales. I was like..... So this probably happens everywhere.
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Basenotes Plus

Nordstrom is at the other extreme. They allow shoppers to make their own decants of as many fragrances as they want.

If you think that is shocking wait till you shop at one of the US discount stores. The only places I don't see folks ravaging the fragrances/cosmetics counters is where they keep every single item in lock boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvon View Post
    That just baffled me why someone would do that
    At least some of them tell themselves that they smell sexy.

Seriously. I've seen someone do that in the thread for over sprayers.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Nordstrom is at the other extreme. They allow shoppers to make their own decants of as many fragrances as they want.
    Not all Nordstroms are like that. And even in Nordstroms where you can do that, you can't always do it at all of the fragrance counters.

Subpar choice of fragrances and not surprising people act ridiculous in public as if they were never shown manners LMAO!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

Too bad they don't realize they can just buy some ambroxan and dilute it with cheap vodka for more or less the same effect, at a few pennies on the dollar. LOL.

They were probably basenoters . ( Keep an eye open for a report in the oversprayers thread )

I always over spray , BUT MY OWN COLOGNE when I'm out shopping for a new bottle I usually never spray the way I do at home , not for nothing todays fragrance is not what it once was , back n the days u can sprays 3-5times, today u need about a good 10-14 sprays for good projection but if I'm getting a sample is cause I was test the projection, longtivy, and the drydown, I don't dare to abuse the privilege. If I wanna over spray it's with my own bottle I purchase at home.At the end of the day for me it all really depends what I'm using. Some may need a good over spray some just need few sprays ..but all these synthetic stuff out now on the shelves lack for longtivy I don't care how much it is , Tom Ford Nior has a very poor longtivy great smell, Burberry London is beautiful after two hour becomes a skin scent ..it's one of the reason why I bought a 10ml decant bottle , not too over spray but to have a good scent on all day, I've always been getting compliments at work as bartender and server

Were they anything like this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0s0K7IxfIMg
    Currently wearing: Él by Arquiste

I once sprayed a few cards at Kohl's with various Lacoste scents, not my skin mind you. I had pumped away for a while when it dawned on me what the residual effect was going to be in that immediate area! I was embarrassed and I fled the scene! God help those I left in my wake. The ladies behind the watch counter probably have not recovered to this day.

Lesson learned and hopefully no asthma attacks.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

My eyes are burning watching this...
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

This is funny. I am in the military, and any decent sized stateside PX has a good fragrance section. On Friday nights, all the new soldiers/Marines/airmen/sailors get off work, shower, and head to the PX and do the same thing. I've been out to local bars and you can just smell the new guys entering the place. The worst is they don't even coordinate so you'll get every fragrance under the sun mixing together into a cacophony of terribleness.

On another note, I've only been to three Nordstrom's in my entire life, and I've never been able to get samples. Some of y'all are crazy lucky
    Current Rotation
    *Mont Blanc Explorer
    *Polo Ultra Blue
    *Mancera Cedrat Boise
    *Parfums de Marly Pegasus
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Chanel Allure Homme Sport eau extreme

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I saw some guy apply about 20 sprays at the airport. Thank god I wasn’t on the same flight as him.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

One of those funny not funny things!
    I saw a lady the same for a night out - really take it to the bottle of whateverit was - all over , hair what have you.
    Not the worst thing you might see out n about - "Meh" - but a sure sign of loss of any sort of social conciousness, manner and decorum. (Someone once said and I concur - it's a sure sign of the decline of a civilisation)
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

How were they dressed OP? Was it ripped skinny jeans, tan chelsea boots, and possibly some kind of camel overcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post

That one made me laugh. Nice coverage on the forehead and ears.

Basenotes Junkie

Hahahahahahaha!!! WOAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    I've never had a problem with the quality or quality of service at Neiman Marcus counters. Granted, Sephora customer service tends to be cheerful and proactive, and I have no complaints. But at NM, they know me by name—and I don't go all that often. I don't think I've ever encountered a better-trained sales staff. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on your location.
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed