Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan odyssey View Post
    Is current formulation of villoresi still good enough for a sandalwood experience as I read somewhere in some other thread where people were quite negative about sandalo...how it's a shadow of its former self from the past....so what's your take ? Haven't smelled this and I am curious if it's worth the effort on current formulation in the mkt !
    Yes the new ĎVintage Collectioní of Sandalo is OK. Some of the harshness has been toned down (not by a lot) but itís definitely more wearable. It also projects quite nicely like never before. I just picked up a new bottle of the newer stuff. Iíve been through two or three 50ml bottles of the old stuff so I am quite familiar with the scent.

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

I also quite like sandalwood and I'm also still looking for the ideal one. (BTW, I also dislike Egoiste.)
    The ones I like so far are: Samsara, Tom Ford Santal Blush, Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore, Narciso Rodriguez Santal Musc

I've just sampled Tam Dao for the second time, and while I find it OK, I'd go for Santal de Mysore over it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bjavor View Post
    I also quite like sandalwood and I'm also still looking for the ideal one. (BTW, I also dislike Egoiste.)
    The ones I like so far are: Samsara, Tom Ford Santal Blush, Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore, Narciso Rodriguez Santal Musc

I've just sampled Tam Dao for the second time, and while I find it OK, I'd go for Santal de Mysore over it.
    Santal de Mysore from the bell bottle is absolutely stunning. Easily could be a reference sandalwood for someone. If youíre looking for straight up sandalwood, you could stop with Santal de Mysore and be happy.

Your recommendation reminds me of Santal Majuscule also from SL. The OP should sample Santal Majuscule it possible. The sandalwood in this one is tempered with cocoa and a dark rose. Donít let the rose part fool you as this is not a rose fragrance. The other smells mixed in Ďdirtyí up the sandalwood enough to make present like sandalwood and woods as opposed to a straightforward beautiful glowing sandalwood.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Thans, good to know about the Serge Lutens. I forgot I had a sample of Tom Ford's Santal Blush - really not a fan. It's not as off putting as Egoiste, but it's somehow more infuriating. Just such an underwhelming fragrance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Thans, good to know about the Serge Lutens. I forgot I had a sample of Tom Ford's Santal Blush - really not a fan. It's not as off putting as Egoiste, but it's somehow more infuriating. Just such an underwhelming fragrance.
    I felt the same about Santal Blush.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Santal de Mysore from the bell bottle is absolutely stunning. Easily could be a reference sandalwood for someone. If you’re looking for straight up sandalwood, you could stop with Santal de Mysore and be happy.

Your recommendation reminds me of Santal Majuscule also from SL. The OP should sample Santal Majuscule it possible. The sandalwood in this one is tempered with cocoa and a dark rose. Don’t let the rose part fool you as this is not a rose fragrance. The other smells mixed in ‘dirty’ up the sandalwood enough to make present like sandalwood and woods as opposed to a straightforward beautiful glowing sandalwood.
    I do agree that Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore is a wonderful sandalwood composition, but the cumin and cinnamon notes are quite strong. It's also only available in the bell jar (expensive) and last time I sampled it, seemed a little less "rich." I don't think there was ever any genuine Mysore sandalwood in it, instead named as an "inspiration" of the Mysore region.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    I know it’s tough to find and stupidly expensive but no ever mentions GUCCI RUSH FOR MEN when discussing sandalwood fragrances. The sandalwood really shines in this one. I was really lucky to find it at a decent price.
    Rush For Men has a healthy dose of cedar, cypress, and juniper, making for an interesting sandalwood themed fragrance. But, I don't find it such a unique composition that warrants the going prices these days. If I were to pick a worthy replacement, I'd say Diptyque Tam Dao EDP.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I do agree that Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore is a wonderful sandalwood composition, but the cumin and cinnamon notes are quite strong. It's also only available in the bell jar (expensive) and last time I sampled it, seemed a little less "rich." I don't think there was ever any genuine Mysore sandalwood in it, instead named as an "inspiration" of the Mysore region.
    Yes. Itís quite expensive. Interesting about the genuine sandalwood. I smelled a sample from a late 90ís bottle and thought it was near photorealistic to an oil I have. In that light, Iím more impressed now with what Lutens did with at that time. Thanks for your comment!

Basenotes Plus

Santal de Mysore from the bell bottle is absolutely stunning. Easily could be a reference sandalwood for someone. If you’re looking for straight up sandalwood, you could stop with Santal de Mysore and be happy.

Your recommendation reminds me of Santal Majuscule also from SL. The OP should sample Santal Majuscule it possible. The sandalwood in this one is tempered with cocoa and a dark rose. Don’t let the rose part fool you as this is not a rose fragrance. The other smells mixed in ‘dirty’ up the sandalwood enough to make present like sandalwood and woods as opposed to a straightforward beautiful glowing sandalwood.
    I was gifted a bottle years ago and then after sold it. It never smelled like sandalwood to this Sandalwood Fan. My nose zeroed in on the sugary fruit and resins too much. Here in Miami, fragrances like that, can only be worn for a short time. It felt incredibly uncomfortable to wear in warm weather.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was gifted a bottle years ago and then after sold it. It never smelled like sandalwood to this Sandalwood Fan. My nose zeroed in on the sugary fruit and resins too much. Here in Miami, fragrances like that, can only be worn for a short time. It felt incredibly uncomfortable to wear in warm weather.
    Totally understand fragrances and heat. I live near New Orleans. I did find the sample and for sure get spices or resins. Iím not getting sugary fruit but something almost akin sweet cream thatís being cooked. In the heat, anything like this would be too much. Itís not heavy so much as it is dense. If that makes sense. And I do detect the sandalwood clear as day, in all its creamy puffy blooming glory, but, everything else as well. This is an overall gorgeous fragrance. I appreciate your thoughts on it.

To be clear, Santal de Mysore isnít my reference sandalwood. My reference sandalwood is old Mysore oil. My two favorite sandalwood fragrances are not favorites of the community but mine because (1) I enjoy the smell of them and (2) theyíre wearable in my climate. Creed Santal Imperial and Fragonard Santal (modern version year round, and vintage in fall/winter). The vintage Art of Shaving Sandalwood used to be a favorite of mine but I got tired of it because it was so popular in my area. As a side note, while my brother picked Tam Dao in his quest, and I do enjoy it very much also, itís too much for me until the coldest part of our climate. And I f I could have only one sandalwood, it would be the oil.

Thanks!

Yes. It’s quite expensive. Interesting about the genuine sandalwood. I smelled a sample from a late 90’s bottle and thought it was near photorealistic to an oil I have. In that light, I’m more impressed now with what Lutens did with at that time. Thanks for your comment!
    Some reviews I've read assert that it's likely there's no Mysore in this, partly because you wouldn't want to colorize it so much with other strong notes like this. It's too valuable for that. I'm inclined to agree. But whatever sandalwood is in it, seems to be of very good quality. But you and @MikePerez are absolutely right, that this is a difficult scent to wear on very warm days.

I can't remember who it was who posted, but a few years back I'd read about someone having uncovered a very old bottle of Mysore essential oil, raving about how divine it was, and actually did offer some decants... but they were much too pricey for my wallet. The closest I've come to owning it is Crabtree & Evelyn's Mysore Extrait. It's a very soft sandalwood one that requires long "dwelling" over it to experience that lush sandalwood note.
    I hadn't applied it to myself for over a year -- finally did it just now. I do get a sweet creamy resin quality, which has a slight fruity quality... but that does fade down to a more resinous sandalwood. You really have to dab it lightly. Not much is needed to enjoy the essence. And the cumin is not as edgy as my memory had been interpreting. The styrax seems to keep it in check. Certainly nowhere near as loud as something like Guerlain's Songe d'un Bois d'Ete... which oddly doesn't have cumin in the notes list here, but I smell it or an accord in mimicry.

Basenotes Plus

...I hadn't applied it to myself for over a year -- finally did it just now. I do get a sweet creamy resin quality, which has a slight fruity quality... but that does fade down to a more resinous sandalwood. You really have to dab it lightly. Not much is needed to enjoy the essence. And the cumin is not as edgy as my memory had been interpreting. The styrax seems to keep it in check. Certainly nowhere near as loud as something like Guerlain's Songe d'un Bois d'Ete... which oddly doesn't have cumin in the notes list here, but I smell it or an accord in mimicry.
    I probably should have done the same and dabbed a tiny amount on to see if that wore more comfortably.

I honestly can't complain: I have so many other sandalwood fragrances and Essential Oils. It's kind of embarassing.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Totally understand fragrances and heat. I live near New Orleans. I did find the sample and for sure get spices or resins. I’m not getting sugary fruit but something almost akin sweet cream that’s being cooked. In the heat, anything like this would be too much. It’s not heavy so much as it is dense. If that makes sense. And I do detect the sandalwood clear as day, in all its creamy puffy blooming glory, but, everything else as well. This is an overall gorgeous fragrance. I appreciate your thoughts on it.

To be clear, Santal de Mysore isn’t my reference sandalwood. My reference sandalwood is old Mysore oil. My two favorite sandalwood fragrances are not favorites of the community but mine because (1) I enjoy the smell of them and (2) they’re wearable in my climate. Creed Santal Imperial and Fragonard Santal (modern version year round, and vintage in fall/winter). The vintage Art of Shaving Sandalwood used to be a favorite of mine but I got tired of it because it was so popular in my area. As a side note, while my brother picked Tam Dao in his quest, and I do enjoy it very much also, it’s too much for me until the coldest part of our climate. And I f I could have only one sandalwood, it would be the oil.

Thanks!
    Yeah I don't like either of those sandalwoods...lol.

I like Tam Dao, both the EdT and EdP and I just picked up the Shower Gel (but I haven't opened it up to use it yet).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sebastian's top 20 sandalwoods, released yesterday.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah I don't like either of those sandalwoods...lol.

I like Tam Dao, both the EdT and EdP and I just picked up the Shower Gel (but I haven't opened it up to use it yet).
    Sandalwood and ambergris is not a contemporary or expected mix. I completely understand people not liking the Creed. Plus it now costs a large grip to acquire. I donít care for it on paper. It just so happens to perform very well on my skin for whatever reason. Curious about the Fragonard, though. Is your dislike of it because of how soft it is, and perhaps performance issues?

I probably should have done the same and dabbed a tiny amount on to see if that wore more comfortably.

I honestly can't complain: I have so many other sandalwood fragrances and Essential Oils. It's kind of embarrassing.
    Do try if you can track it down within your collection. Nice problem to have, so many sandalwood fragrances & oils. For daily wear, I don't often apply sandalwood fully. I tend to use it at night. Or, I'll apply a very small amount to my wrist/arm for the occasional inhalation across the day or evening. What sandalwood oils do you have? Any of pure Mysore?

Managed to order a sample of Gucci Rush. Hope it's decent.

Basenotes Plus

Sandalwood and ambergris is not a contemporary or expected mix. I completely understand people not liking the Creed. Plus it now costs a large grip to acquire. I don’t care for it on paper. It just so happens to perform very well on my skin for whatever reason. Curious about the Fragonard, though. Is your dislike of it because of how soft it is, and perhaps performance issues?
    I do like Mysore sandalwood + pure ambergris EO. I smelled the two together from the pass that ClaireV coordinated a while back from Rising Phoenix - he calls it Yeti Attar. I loved it. But that's a pricey option ($107 for 1/3 of 1 ml) https://www.etsy.com/listing/5437177...is-attar-2012?

-- Eckhart Tolle

I do like Mysore sandalwood + pure ambergris EO. I smelled the two together from the pass that ClaireV coordinated a while back from Rising Phoenix - he calls it Yeti Attar. I loved it. But that's a pricey option ($107 for 1/3 of 1 ml) https://www.etsy.com/listing/5437177...is-attar-2012?
    That's absolutely ridiculous there is no reason it should cost that much.

By Kilian Sacred Wood- sadly it's discontinued but you can still find the refill bottles on their french website.
    It's pure and clean sandalwood with a hint of milk.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, Mike. I bet the Rising Phoenix smelled great! Definitely pricey though. I was curious about your thoughts on the Fragonard.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK View Post
    By Kilian Sacred Wood- sadly it's discontinued but you can still find the refill bottles on their french website.
    It's pure and clean sandalwood with a hint of milk.
    I didn't realize this one was already discontinued. It was a pretty nice one.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Anyone have recommendations for where to buy sandalwood oils from?

Basenotes Plus

Do try if you can track it down within your collection. Nice problem to have, so many sandalwood fragrances & oils. For daily wear, I don't often apply sandalwood fully. I tend to use it at night. Or, I'll apply a very small amount to my wrist/arm for the occasional inhalation across the day or evening. What sandalwood oils do you have? Any of pure Mysore?
    Inherent in the nature of Mysore Sandalwood oil is the fact that its so damn light and minimal. I accept that. Obviously the more vintage the oil is (and of course, when I say vintage I am using the term generally...because what I have learned about Sandalwood harvesting, distillation, regions, etc is that the fact that it comes from India is only one of many different variables that can contribute to the beauty of 'vintage' sandalwood - things like 1) how *old* is the wood that is being harvested in 19**? 2) is the wood roots or tree trunk 3) how is it distilled? Metal? Copper? glass? 4) Is the vendor reputable, etc...

I own many different oils and this is how I wear them:

- Dabbed on my arms
    - Swiped on my beard (not rubbed in)
    - Rubbed into my ear lobe so that when I move around I can smell it easily
    - Drops into a hot bath (this is the most boujie option...I have to be honest I feel a bit silly taking a bath in oil that's so expensive and watching it swirl down the drain after I bathe...but f*ck it...life is too short to stockpile oils and not wear them
    - Blended with Everclear and left to macerate and then sprayed on

I own several Mysore and Non-Mysore Sandalwood oils:

- A vintage oil (2000) I bought from an aromatherapy store, that I wrote a thread about here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/396...the-Year-2000)
    - A vintage oil (2002) I bought on eBay from the brand Lorann i bought last year I think I used this one the most, in my bath. It's almost gone.
    - 'New' (2016) Mysore sandalwood from Imperial Oud (this was never on his site, it was a private sale that the owner of IO emailed me about and shipped internationally. I
    - 'New' (2019) Citrine sandalwood from Rising Phoenix (from Sri Lanka...it's good stuff but very green and resinous)
    - 'New' (2018) Umami Crema sandalwood from Rising Phoenix (also from Sri Lanka...wild nuances in this one!!)

I also used to own Sultani Sandali by Rising Phoenix but that's all gone.

And I just placed an order for three (3) Feel Oud sandalwood's a couple days ago (2.5 gr each) - I spent way too much $ on them but I have been eyeing them for a while now and I really wanted them. Total was + $500 for the 3. Excited to wear them.

-- Eckhart Tolle

IMG_4344.jpg

Personal faves At the front Sandalwood Attar from Amouage (pretty much pure mysore oil) and the elusive Sandalo Inspiritu from DSH. I would add IUNX L'Arbre to this collection - picked it up from Paris a coupla years back - lovely sandalwood EdT with a touch of immoretelle in the opening (that mercifully disappears after a few minutes!).
    ďAnti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'Ē
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Personal faves At the front Sandalwood Attar from Amouage (pretty much pure mysore oil)
    That stuff is legendary. Shame Amouage stopped doing the attars - it was their best line!

I have Homage Attar and it too has a wonderful sandalwood although it is clearly mixed with florals like rose (superbly done), jasmine, orange blossom and maybe a hint of oud.

Armani Eau Pour Homme perhaps?
    Pretty lean composition - still dope though!

Itís a nice dryer take on sandalwood. No rose or flowery notes taking over like Egoiste. Not that Egoiste doesnít have itís place but Gucci rush is a straight woody fragrance. I hope youíll enjoy it. I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I wouldn't think of Rush For Men as a sandalwood prominent scent. But that's me.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    IMG_4344.jpg

Personal faves At the front Sandalwood Attar from Amouage (pretty much pure mysore oil) and the elusive Sandalo Inspiritu from DSH. I would add IUNX L'Arbre to this collection - picked it up from Paris a coupla years back - lovely sandalwood EdT with a touch of immoretelle in the opening (that mercifully disappears after a few minutes!).
    That's a great stash of sandalwood.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast