Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wouldn't think of Rush For Men as a sandalwood prominent scent. But that's me.
    Yep, agreed. Just trying it now. It's nice, very similar to CdG Wonderwood, but not really what I'm after, nor is it a sandalwood scent specifically.

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

Inherent in the nature of Mysore Sandalwood oil is the fact that its so damn light and minimal. I accept that. Obviously the more vintage the oil is (and of course, when I say vintage I am using the term generally...because what I have learned about Sandalwood harvesting, distillation, regions, etc is that the fact that it comes from India is only one of many different variables that can contribute to the beauty of 'vintage' sandalwood - things like 1) how *old* is the wood that is being harvested in 19**? 2) is the wood roots or tree trunk 3) how is it distilled? Metal? Copper? glass? 4) Is the vendor reputable, etc...

I own many different oils and this is how I wear them:

- Dabbed on my arms
    - Swiped on my beard (not rubbed in)
    - Rubbed into my ear lobe so that when I move around I can smell it easily
    - Drops into a hot bath (this is the most boujie option...I have to be honest I feel a bit silly taking a bath in oil that's so expensive and watching it swirl down the drain after I bathe...but f*ck it...life is too short to stockpile oils and not wear them
    - Blended with Everclear and left to macerate and then sprayed on

I own several Mysore and Non-Mysore Sandalwood oils:

- A vintage oil (2000) I bought from an aromatherapy store, that I wrote a thread about here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/396...the-Year-2000)
    - A vintage oil (2002) I bought on eBay from the brand Lorann i bought last year I think I used this one the most, in my bath. It's almost gone.
    - 'New' (2016) Mysore sandalwood from Imperial Oud (this was never on his site, it was a private sale that the owner of IO emailed me about and shipped internationally. I
    - 'New' (2019) Citrine sandalwood from Rising Phoenix (from Sri Lanka...it's good stuff but very green and resinous)
    - 'New' (2018) Umami Crema sandalwood from Rising Phoenix (also from Sri Lanka...wild nuances in this one!!)

I also used to own Sultani Sandali by Rising Phoenix but that's all gone.

And I just placed an order for three (3) Feel Oud sandalwood's a couple days ago (2.5 gr each) - I spent way too much $ on them but I have been eyeing them for a while now and I really wanted them. Total was + $500 for the 3. Excited to wear them.
    Agreed on the Umami Crema i tried that one and loved it, which remind me i need to go order some real quick

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Agreed on the Umami Crema i tried that one and loved it, which remind me i need to go order some real quick
    I think it's all gone, no?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Personal faves At the front Sandalwood Attar from Amouage (pretty much pure mysore oil) and the elusive Sandalo Inspiritu from DSH. I would add IUNX L'Arbre to this collection - picked it up from Paris a coupla years back - lovely sandalwood EdT with a touch of immoretelle in the opening (that mercifully disappears after a few minutes!).
    I owned a full bottle of Amouage Sandalwood and I have to be honest - some of my Mysore is better than the Amouage. It was nice. But not 4 times as nice for 4 x the price.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think it's all gone, no?
    Still listed on their etsy page!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Still listed on their etsy page!
    Oh good. Grab some then!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Yep, agreed. Just trying it now. It's nice, very similar to CdG Wonderwood, but not really what I'm after, nor is it a sandalwood scent specifically.
    Gucci Rush is definitely a sandalwood fragrance and very similar to Pal Zileri Sartoriale. Just saying but I hope you'll narrow it down. I'm interested in knowing what your choices will be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Best sandalwoods to my nose:

Sacred Wood
    Bois Du Portugal
    Wonderwood/Wonderoud
    Sartoriale
    Tam Dao EDP
    Vetiver Extraordinaire (vetiver and sandalwood)
    Proraso Red
    Micallef Style (incense and Sandalwood)
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa
    Currently wearing: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

My new Guerlain Lui seems to have a sandalwood aspect. I could be wrong.

I read through pages 3-4 and skipped the first 2... Disappointed not to see Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Vintage Arden for men is the best sandalwood fragrance I have smelled. No idea what the modern version is like, if it exists at all.
    +1 to this as well as vintage Samsara.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Pasha Cartier looks like the most sandal dominant in my wardrobe, shines in the drydown, really tidy stuff
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I read through pages 3-4 and skipped the first 2... Disappointed not to see Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.
    This one starts off wonderful but gets too animalic. That castereoum note is really disappointing.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa
    Currently wearing: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Gucci Rush is definitely a sandalwood fragrance and very similar to Pal Zileri Sartoriale. Just saying but I hope you'll narrow it down. I'm interested in knowing what your choices will be.

It is sandalwood, yes, but it's very synthetic to my nose - I've actually grown to really love Rush, moreso I think than most I've tried from this list. But that's because of what I think is cypress in there, and a nice peppery accord as well - can't remember now if it's actually meant ot be a pepper note, or if it's juniper, or what. But basically, I get as much 'green' cypress as I do sandalwood, and the pepper then drives it toward mustiness. I, personally, wouldn't call Rush an out and out sandalwood scent - maybe there's just too much else going on in the wood stakes, I don't know, but it's just not conceptualised as one in my head relative to more warm, creamy, sparse sandalwoods. Perhaps it's just the cypress that throws me off. Anyway...

I haven't tried Sartoriale - I've seen it recommended, albeit some people are saying it literally lasts 10 minutes (in which case what's the point!?). Perhaps it's a 'cheapie' in the US, but it's really not available in the UK, the cheapest I can see it for is £35-40 + postage, and there's no way I'm paying that on the off chance it really does last 10 minutes unfortunately!

In the end I'm not sure I am going to narrow it down! I feel like I probably will get rid of Rush as well, sadly - I bought a bottle last week and sadly the performance is exactly the same as a sample I had - not good. It genuinely needs 8-10 sprays to even be present, and then last 4 maybe 5 hours. I can accept that from Gucci Pour Homme from 4-5 sprays, not from Rush. I'm still trying to work out which cologne I want - there's an Aventus type by Taylor of Old Bond St. I've yet to try, but I might end up just buying a large bottle of Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood and using that for formal wear. In which case - that's my sandalwood scent! Haha. I just don't want to add anything more to what I have, I want to cut if anything, and as much as I adore sandalwood as a note, nothing's leaping out. I might chase the sandalwood oil 'thing' when I hit my late 30s, not sure.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It is sandalwood, yes, but it's very synthetic to my nose - I've actually grown to really love Rush, moreso I think than most I've tried from this list. But that's because of what I think is cypress in there, and a nice peppery accord as well - can't remember now if it's actually meant ot be a pepper note, or if it's juniper, or what. But basically, I get as much 'green' cypress as I do sandalwood, and the pepper then drives it toward mustiness. I, personally, wouldn't call Rush an out and out sandalwood scent - maybe there's just too much else going on in the wood stakes, I don't know, but it's just not conceptualised as one in my head relative to more warm, creamy, sparse sandalwoods. Perhaps it's just the cypress that throws me off. Anyway...

I haven't tried Sartoriale - I've seen it recommended, albeit some people are saying it literally lasts 10 minutes (in which case what's the point!?). Perhaps it's a 'cheapie' in the US, but it's really not available in the UK, the cheapest I can see it for is £35-40 + postage, and there's no way I'm paying that on the off chance it really does last 10 minutes unfortunately!

In the end I'm not sure I am going to narrow it down! I feel like I probably will get rid of Rush as well, sadly - I bought a bottle last week and sadly the performance is exactly the same as a sample I had - not good. It genuinely needs 8-10 sprays to even be present, and then last 4 maybe 5 hours. I can accept that from Gucci Pour Homme from 4-5 sprays, not from Rush. I'm still trying to work out which cologne I want - there's an Aventus type by Taylor of Old Bond St. I've yet to try, but I might end up just buying a large bottle of Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood and using that for formal wear. In which case - that's my sandalwood scent! Haha. I just don't want to add anything more to what I have, I want to cut if anything, and as much as I adore sandalwood as a note, nothing's leaping out. I might chase the sandalwood oil 'thing' when I hit my late 30s, not sure.
    Yeah....Rush is good. Maybe not "the" best or maybe not exactly what you want which is cool too.

I was on this same quest for quite some time. At this point I'm simply selecting fragrances that I can detect the sandalwood note enough to enjoy it.

I wore Pal Zileri Sartoriale yesterday. It really reminds me of Rush with more sweetness in the dry down. Performance is below average for sure but it smells really good. I actually covered it with Emporio Armani White after it disappeared. Personally, I would recommend sampling Sartoriale first.

Thanks. I have it saved on ebay so if it ever comes up, I'll try it. If it's close enough to Rush it could be a clincher as I just cannot see Rush lasting through to the Spring for me (which is when I'm going to stop using sites as I want to really wrap up the buying/trying part and start wearing more consistently!).

I've just checked again - the cheapest is literally £50 delivered from the US, and then with import on top of that, it becomes £60.

If someone were to clone Rush it might change things, but eesh - not good prices for Sartoriale I'm afraid. If anyone EU/UK based knows where to find it cheaper, I'd love to hear it!
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Pasha Cartier looks like the most sandal dominant in my wardrobe, shines in the drydown, really tidy stuff
    Must say I’d struggle to call out any sandalwood in Pasha. If it is, it’s totally buried under that fougere-mint accord.