Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

I currently own, and really like, Acqua di Parma's Sandalo, however I'm really trying to trim down a collection and only own the smallest number of bottles possible.

With that in mind, I don't want any crossover between scents - and although I do have one 'woody' fragrance, I feel there's just about room for a specific sandalwood/creamy and light wood scent.

At the moment, I have Gucci Pour Homme - and I enjoy it - but it feels very much a leather-woody-olibanum scent. More on the opulent, 'strong' side of things. I'm still testing it out and may change my mind over the winter, but I would basically quite like a 'foil' to what GPH, or if I replace GPH with something similarly quite dark/powerful/oriental-woody. I know it's cedar, but to me, overall, it is still quite a dark woody scent when taken as a whole, so I would quite like an alternative. Something a bit 'lighter' in the wood stakes would be ideal.

I'm struggling to really think of where to turn. I'm not averse to something complex - I. not just looking for a solitary sandalwood note, and that's it - and I'm not averse to a 'sexy sandalwood', something a big designery, or interesting interpretations on it.

I have a sample of CdG Wonderwood on the way (as well as WonderOud) which I am hoping will fit the bill without wanting to build it up too much. I tried a tiny sample of Tam Dao a while ago but can't really remember too much about it...annoyingly.

I have also owned Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne, which I liked, despite reports it's similar to Egoiste (which I dislike), and tried Proraso Red, which wasn't quite as good in my pinion.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head at this late hour, but there have definitely been others I've tried/owned, they're just not coming to me. Would love suggestions. Not averse to a mild hint of incense or spice in here, but as I bought Sandalo to be something suitable for quite formal use (weddings, funerals, and similar situations) I'd quite like something that would fit that bill as well.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

Bois Santal Complet perhaps. It's lighter, softer and wanders into a different path.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Sandalwood - is there a gem I'm missing out on? Not sure where to look.

Thanks hednic, I'll give it a try.

Basenotes Plus

To shamelessly plug my brother’s sandalwood quest from a few years ago, and also because it’s actually not a bad reference point (keeping in mind it’s his opinion): http://www.basenotes.net/threads/430...wood-Fragrance

It’s interesting to read your interpretation of GPH (I’m assuming 2003), as I don’t see it at all as dark or heavy or any of those type adjectives. I find it to be quite versatile and easy to wear. Not saying you’re wrong but rather just different takes on a fragrance. I appreciate your view.

Good luck!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Thanks, I actually read parts of that thread months ago but completely forgot about it. I'll definitely give it a better look this time. It felt a bit impenetrable at the time but I'll give it a proper go and do it justice.

As for GPH, I'm trying to conceptualise and compartmentalise, which is always a hard thing to do. In terms of wearability, I find GPH (and Bentley Absolute) is good, and like a 'middling' and enjoyable position between depth and light, appealing and artistic, 'dark' and light. I'm not going to do it justice, but in my head - particularly for the first hour or so - the wood and leather isn't the easiest to wear, and with a really prominent incense accord, I would consider it (despite its fairly poor performance) a 'strong' fragrance. But strong is practically a nothing word. 'Dark' isn't great either tbh, and no doubt it isn't depths-of-the-forest dark, but it has a strong, deep woody, masculine 'strength' to it that I'd quite like an alternative to. It's not even particularly the woody notes, per se, I think it's more the leather and olibanum which makes it quite pungent and not always a 'safe' scent. Which is part of the appeal, but also why I think there's room for 2 wood-based scents in my (hopefully) sparse collection.

I'll definitely check out that thread though, thanks.

Basenotes Plus

I see what you’re saying. Thanks for further detail. BTW, Tam Dao is in that thread and may help remind you of what you had sampled. And also Wonderwood.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Being not too keen on sandalwood (it smells too often like sweat to my nose [Tam Dao = Bah²] I'd go for Santal by Floris...
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 13th September 2019 at 05:28 AM.
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Tam Dao is definitely worth a try.

Chanel Sycomore edp is worth a sniff if you’re not into straight up sandalwood.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

Blog Entries

Parfum d’Habit and Guerlain Heritage for me.

Beware, the road to a satisfying sandalwood is full of skeletons of those who never made it It’s a note that rarely shines when it is pushed to the front of the choir.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

My 6x perfect sandalwood based fragrances I own and adore:

- Guerlain Heritage (vtg edp and edt)
    - Santal Noble (vtg) by MPG
    - Egoiste (vtg)
    - Zino (vtg)
    - Original Santal by Creed
    - Lalique pour homme edp
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Fragrances of Ireland: Patrick
    - Polo Blue Gold Blend edp
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

D R Harris Sandalwood Aftershave is my favorite sandalwood. It has the performance of a Edc and is nice and spicy, it has this spicy woody kick that I find addictive to smell.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    2. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    3. Terre d Hermes Edt
    4. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)

Forget all of that. Go to Feel Oud and pick yourself up a gram of natural sandalwood.

http://www.feel-oud.com/product-category/sandal-oil/

Etro Sandalo is very nice, but on me is short lived and with weak projection.

duft-etro-sandalo.jpg
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Freed from BN Institution

If you can find a sample of it, Creed Bois de Santal.

Guerlain Samsara is also very nice sandalwood scent.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

-The discontinued but still accessible (eBay and the like) Carven Homme
    +1 for Tam Dao (EDP)
    - Believe it or not, Proraso’s Red Box aftershave is surprisingly good.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Honey Aoud by Montale

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

My two sandalwood gems are complex scents that don't open with a blast of sandalwood, but they close with a wonderful base of it:

Royal Oud: It's not an oud scent, so ignore the name and enjoy the smell. The opening is a bit challenging, but just a bit. It has a burnt cigarette sort of smell for the first few moments, but it quickly evolves into a wonderful smooth woody scent that's cedar and sandalwood. It's outstanding.

1725: It opens with lots of lavender and some licorice, but it evolves into smooth sandalwood with almond and a bit of vanilla to sweeten it up. Again, outstanding.

...as for Gucci Pour Homme... assuming you're talking about the 2003 version... I never got that much sandalwood from it. I owned two bottles, but I sold them both with no regrets. I loved the smell of it in the air, but the base wasn't that smooth, so once it started to fade it went downhill fast. I find sandalwood to be a tricky note. It's either fantastic or it is NOT. More often than not, it's not. And that's a shame. I love a really rich but smooth sandalwood!
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I. not just looking for a solitary sandalwood note, and that's it

I have a sample of CdG Wonderwood on the way (as well as WonderOud) which I am hoping will fit the bill without wanting to build it up too much. I tried a tiny sample of Tam Dao a while ago but can't really remember too much about it...annoyingly.
    Tam Dao is pretty much straight up woods, so maybe not what you are looking for. It is creamy (the EDP) and feels very much like blonde woods.

Wonderwood and WonderOud may be closer as there's a bit more going on there (greater variety of woody notes, a little spice (pepper and nutmeg). Not sure that I'd class is as creamy and light. While there is some roundness from some of the sandalwood synth notes, its feels pretty dark brown to me (maybe just the power of suggestion due to the bottle...). Hewn wood rather than anything creamy.

Maybe Santal Majuscule for something in a slightly sweeter, more gourmand direction (some cocoa and a touch of rose).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

I like West Third Brand Smoked Sandalwood a lot.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

If you can find Bois des Iles EDT, it’s the holy grail sandalwood for me. The EDP is more floral and creamier to my nose - still very good but not quite “right”, and slightly more feminine and for evening wear than the EDT, which to me is very unisex and perfect any time.

There are similarities with Egoiste, but don’t let that put you off - I like but don’t love Egoiste and much prefer BdI. I find BdI is softer, classier and more beautiful than Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Forget all of that. Go to Feel Oud and pick yourself up a gram of natural sandalwood.

http://www.feel-oud.com/product-category/sandal-oil/
    THIS. Also would highly recommend and of the oils from Rising Phoenix or Royal Bengal Ouds, both can be found on etsy. Pure sandalwood oil, for me, is far better than any sandalwood type fragrance that i have tried.
    Currently wearing: Side Effect by Initio

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    -
    - Believe it or not, Proraso’s Red Box aftershave is surprisingly good.
    I match the Proraso shave cream with the original Nautica as my go-to sandalwood setup for anything that involves church or Christian holidays.

[edited: sorry, I said the Sandalwood Cologne recommendation but didn't previously see that it was mentioned in the OP!]
    Last edited by SubUmbra; 11th September 2019 at 05:36 PM.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Check out Art of Shaving Sandalwood if you can find it.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Trumper is easily one of the best I’ve tried.

The AdP is a nice fresh woody scent. But I find nothing really beats Sandalo by Villoresi for a true representation of the wood/note. It's not a fresh one though but the newer iteration (part of the 'Vintage Collection') is certainly lighter and projects from quite a distance.

Another recommendation to track down some real pure mysore sandalwood oil (I got some from Ensar Oud, but others have listed other sources). You just can't beat that, and it'll get your nose trained to recognize either real or believable sandalwood notes in other fragrances (a lot of stuff that lists sandalwood as a note really have nothing of the sort, to my nose).

Too bad Egoïste doesn't work for you, because that (and Bois des Iles) are sandalwood champions to me. I have the Bois des Iles pure parfum and that stuff is just swoon-worthy.

Another one that doesn't typically get mentioned is Cartier Pasha, which is a late 80s-early 90s style fresh fougere sitting on a really nice sandalwood base. My bottle is current (bought in the past year) and the sandalwood note reads believably to me.

The sandalwood note in Wonderwood is entirely synthetic, but pretty fun. I like it.

I never got much, if any, sandalwood from Gucci pour Homme ... mostly slightly spiced dry woods ("cedar"), woody amber, and incense.

Thanks everyone, great suggestions so far.

Good to see the Trumper and AdP receiving praise - I like them both in their own ways, and it's possible I'll stick with them (Trumper as aftershave, Sandalo as more of a perfume) but didn't want to settle just yet.

Also completely forgot about Villoresi Sandalo, something I wanted to try months ago but could never find, and just forgot about it. So thanks for that suggestion - and for all the others. Something to keep me ticking over in the next few weeks.

I know it’s tough to find and stupidly expensive but no ever mentions GUCCI RUSH FOR MEN when discussing sandalwood fragrances. The sandalwood really shines in this one. I was really lucky to find it at a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I'm really trying to trim down a collection and only own the smallest number of bottles possible.
    An admirable pursuit.