Code of Conduct

Default New to the Fragrance Game

I just started my fragrance journey and I am 41 yrs old. I know sad right??? Well I have been watching several reviewers on youtube like Jeremy Fragrance, Joy Amin, Gent Scents, etc. And they motivated me to start purchasing fragrances. I never will blind buy so I have to go sample the fragrances myself. So in the past 2 months I have purchased

1. 1 Million Prive
    2. Acqua Di Gio Profumo
    3. Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    4. Aventus
    5. Bleu De Chanel EDP
    6. Green Irish Tweed
    7. Invictus
    8. Layton
    9. La Nuit De LLhome
    10. Le Male
    11. D&G Light Blue intense
    12. Pegasus
    13. Pure Malt
    14. Sauvage EDP
    15. Spicebomb exteme
    16. Azzaro Wanted
    17. Nautica Voyage

I wore 1 million prive on Monday and received 0 compliments I noticed that the scent faded quickly on that one. I wore acua di gio yesterday and I noticed that the scent does last quite some time on this one but no compliments at all. I purchased Nautica voyage just for the gym and received my first compliment. "Someone smells nice in here. Is that you?" Funny thing is Voyage was the cheapest purchase for me. Anyone else surprised that the cheapest ones are the attention grabbers?

Default Re: New to the Fragrance Game

Compliments are nice, obviously, but a poor barometer of whether a fragrance is working for you. For one thing, the truth is, most people don’t compliment other people’s fragrances. I think half the time when they do, it’s their polite way of acknowledging they can smell a fragrance (meaning, sometimes it could be an indication you’re wearing too much). If your main goal is compliments, it’s a losing game, I’m afraid.

Much better is to find fragrances that feel like an extension of who you are, that match your mood and personality for the day, because these will bolster your confidence and mood, and in that sense be an enhancement to the energy and charisma you’re already bringing as you go about your day. It’s that energy and confidence which will get people’s attention, with a good fragrance match just being the booster. Happily, that gives you a lot more range because what suits YOU isn’t necessarily the standard list of “compliment magnets” rattled off by someone like Jeremy Fragrance. After all, you don’t want people to be encountering just your fragrance. You want them to be encountering YOU, with whichever fragrance being a natural extension of that.

Take that approach, pair it with some basic restraint and good judgement in how you apply your perfume, and you really can’t go wrong, imo.

Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am new to this and maybe you are right. It should be for me. Screw what others think. And you hit the nail on the head. I did maybe 30 sprays of Voyage so I probably has too trigger happy.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Welcome to you frag_newbie! Enjoy you time here at Basenotes! It's never too late to partake in something you enjoy.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I am wearing Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme so I will see how the day plays out with this one.

I don't want to be rude but it seems to me that you don't really like fragrances for what they are but for what they can get you.

You are just trying too hard and for all the wrong reasons.

Well I am new to this and hopefully I will grow more and appreciate it for the reasons you and the experienced others are.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Compliments are nice, obviously, but a poor barometer of whether a fragrance is working for you. For one thing, the truth is, most people don’t compliment other people’s fragrances. I think half the time when they do, it’s their polite way of acknowledging they can smell a fragrance (meaning, sometimes it could be an indication you’re wearing too much). If your main goal is compliments, it’s a losing game, I’m afraid.

Much better is to find fragrances that feel like an extension of who you are, that match your mood and personality for the day, because these will bolster your confidence and mood, and in that sense be an enhancement to the energy and charisma you’re already bringing as you go about your day. It’s that energy and confidence which will get people’s attention, with a good fragrance match just being the booster. Happily, that gives you a lot more range because what suits YOU isn’t necessarily the standard list of “compliment magnets” rattled off by someone like Jeremy Fragrance. After all, you don’t want people to be encountering just your fragrance. You want them to be encountering YOU, with whichever fragrance being a natural extension of that.

Take that approach, pair it with some basic restraint and good judgement in how you apply your perfume, and you really can’t go wrong, imo.
    very well said
    Currently wearing: Side Effect by Initio

Freed from BN Institution

Welcome abord It sounds like you've made some good progress so far. Hopefully Basenotes can inspire you in where you want to go on this journey.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

You have a very nice collection so far, as for compliments their nice but don’t expect them YouTubers overhype compliments by a ton. I’ve received a few but not often, trust me others notice your fragrances even if they don’t mention they do. Pay close attention to their actions while around you, I personally take that as a compliment as I know I smell good and free of BO and other nastiness haha.
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I do prefer "fragrance journey" over "fragrance game" but both terms are inadvertently pretentious as they suggest things other than getting into something because it brings you joy.

The "journey" folks tend to go down that "more expensive = better" or "more natural smelling = better" and end up being exclusively Roja Dove/Clive Christian or Areej Le Dore/Slumberhouse heads that come in to bash every designer or major market release they can for them validation feel-goods. Aka the "snobs"

The "game" folks want compliments compliments compliments and sometimes go down the niche route into luxury lines like Creed, Parfums de Marly, or Maison Francis Kurkdjian, but only because a YouTuber said it would let them "score", and otherwise stick to the newest, trendiest, most "notice me" designers. Aka the "fragrance army".

My suggestion is figure out what YOU WANT TO SMELL ON YOU, and I don't mean specific kinds of fragrances like office this or club that. I mean individual qualities or even notes. You like a dry woody citrus, you like a soft lavender and musk, or a green leafy rose etc, similar to looking for flavors in your food. Zero in on your "favorite flavors" in perfume, find your style. For example, I love leather. If you prefer the natural stuff, learn it's pitfalls. If you end up liking vintage things, learn the ups and downs of the aftermarket. If you like designer and niche, shop for value (to you).

Afterward, branch out high or low depending on how interested you STILL ARE or AREN'T after making a solid wardrobe of a few loves. Some of us have hundreds or thousands of scents but no real loves. That's another pitfall to avoid. You don't have to own everything unless collecting is part of the fun. But most importantly, don't take anything too seriously, especially not me. My puns are TERRIBLE.

Cheers!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Oland by Avon

Welcome frag_newbie. My first advice would be to change that name: from today you are a basenoter!
    Currently wearing: Shaal Nur by Etro

If you mean in the last 2 months that that list is the full bottles you have purchased then my advice would be this - slow down.

You need to live with a sample for a bit to work out whether you really like it. You could fall into a trap of getting a sample, generally liking each sample and going ahead with a bottle purchase. You could well find you do your actual "living with a fragrance" with the full bottle whereas you should be doing that with the sample.

If of course that list is mostly samples forget what I have just said.

Oh, as per others have said, forget the compliments side of things, most Youtubers talk shit in this regard. Don't expect a constant stream of them. Way more important is finding fragrances you really want to wear because you love them, you'll be far more happy in your own skin. What would you rather? Wear a fragrance you have chosen because you love it, or wear one because some knobhead self-promoting youtuber is trying to get people to watch their videos because they talk of ladies' reactions to them?

I think compliments is how a lot of modern hobbyists start or how they get into this journey. I know that's how I got started as well (though I've always worn fragrances over the last 30 years - a signature scent at a time). The list you have is definitely a familiar gateway, but then you start developing a better sense of what you're into and start finding enjoyment in the scents themselves. All that will happen organically as you go through your journey. Enjoy those popular scents for now, but know that it's just the beginning and you may not even find those enjoyable a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by frag_newbie View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am new to this and maybe you are right. It should be for me. Screw what others think. And you hit the nail on the head. I did maybe 30 sprays of Voyage so I probably has too trigger happy.
    That's a nice list of fragrances you've got. Enjoy!

30 sprays. That is insane! I hope you are joking. I think three sprays of Voyage projects for a whole day. As someone said, a compliment for a loud scent can be mistaken for someone just confirming they can smell your perfume.

Welcome aboard! I hope you will have a good time!

thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

thanks for your insight. I will look for those reactions. I agree with the others somewhat that if I am looking for compliments then I am going in the wrong direction. But they would be nice

ok this will take some time to figure out what works for me as I am just smelling fragrances with a "new nose" now since I never paid much attention to fragrances before. I will keep your suggestion in mind during my journey. Thanks

thanks for the warm welcome

not they were not samples they were full bottles. I will take your advice and live with these for a while. I will see which ones work and which ones don't. I though spraying the tester bottle in the department store on my skin and letting it sit for 20 minutes determined if it works or not. Guess I was wrong. Yeah I am liking the fragrances that I can still smell a few hours after application. The ones that I don't smell I am reassessing.

Thanks for the advice. Wow 30 years of experience? Have you ever had a fragrance that you loved and later despised?

Welcome. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting into fragrances at 41. I came to this hobby/addiction in my early 40s as well. I would suggest getting a variety of samples that span different categories (floral, fresh, oriental, etc.) and see how you like them. You will eventually learn to identify individual notes and you can search for fragrances with notes that you like. Reading reviews and watching YT videos is of some value, but only you can decide what you like and don't like. Glad to have you here.
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

Thanks for the welcome. Can you give me an example of one with an oriental note?

Quote Originally Posted by frag_newbie View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. Can you give me an example of one with an oriental note?
    A pretty readily available oriental you can test is Tom Ford Noir, which is based on a very classic fragrance by Guerlain called Shalimar — and Shalimar is pretty much THE oriental. Orientals, as dated as the name is at this point, are characterized by their reliance on a base of vanilla, resins (labdanum, oppoponax, benzoin, incense), and often spices to create a lush amber effect. Other classic orientals include Guerlain Habit Rouge (adds a leather accord) and YSL Opium. Orientals tend to be big, plush, a bit sweet, on the heavier side, and tend to come out for cold weather due to their thick, resinous nature.

As you get into fragrances you’ll start recognizing some of these classic categories, especially if you go out of your way to sniff reference fragrances for each one. It’ll often help as you read up on things: when something is described as an “old-school fougere,” for instance, you’ll have a quick idea of the general feel of the fragrance. But this all takes time. Enjoy the process, and maybe keep notes!

Thanks for the insight.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I do prefer "fragrance journey" over "fragrance game" but both terms are inadvertently pretentious as they suggest things other than getting into something because it brings you joy.

The "journey" folks tend to go down that "more expensive = better" or "more natural smelling = better" and end up being exclusively Roja Dove/Clive Christian or Areej Le Dore/Slumberhouse heads that come in to bash every designer or major market release they can for them validation feel-goods. Aka the "snobs"
    I think "journey" is fine, as it implies to me a sort of wandering around, trying new places and new things. That doesn't seem particularly pretentious either, as we all just stumble around in this hobby, trying many things, loving some, indifferent to most, disliking a lot. I don't think it necessarily implies a set destination, as a ruthless determination to only own the very best perfumes would be. At least that's what I took from what you wrote. That does seem like a joyless affair.

"Fragrance game" is an obnoxious phrase, probably meant for obnoxious people.

My suggestion is figure out what YOU WANT TO SMELL ON YOU, and I don't mean specific kinds of fragrances like office this or club that. I mean individual qualities or even notes. You like a dry woody citrus, you like a soft lavender and musk, or a green leafy rose etc, similar to looking for flavors in your food. Zero in on your "favorite flavors" in perfume, find your style. For example, I love leather. If you prefer the natural stuff, learn it's pitfalls. If you end up liking vintage things, learn the ups and downs of the aftermarket. If you like designer and niche, shop for value (to you).
    Sensible advice.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I don't want to be rude but it seems to me that you don't really like fragrances for what they are but for what they can get you.

You are just trying too hard and for all the wrong reasons.
    Hate to say it, but I agree with this.

Kindness, humility and confidence are going to get you more compliments than any fragrance..

Fragrances are an accessory and the cherry on top of the sundae, not the ice cream...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès