Code of Conduct

Default Please name some vintage fragrances which are known for their oakmoss content

Can you please tell me which fragrances were famous for their oakmoss, and which in your opinion have been most affected by the IFRA rule changes ?

I know about Azzaro, that's all.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Please name some vintage fragrances which are known for their oakmoss content

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme perhaps.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Please name some vintage fragrances which are known for their oakmoss content

Quorum

+1 Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Christian Dior Eau Sauvage
    Giorgio Armani Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Chanel Antaeus
    Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir
    Boucheron Pour Homme - although the fragrance makeup of modern is no slouch!

Mainly any older fragrance used oak moss heavily and with good reason it lasts!
    Current Top 10

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

good list, thank you.

Good list. I'd add Eau Sauvage, another chypre like Chanel pour monsieur edt.

Feminines have been equally hit-if not even more so. Starting from Mitsouko, the queen of chypres.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir
    Have you tried relatively recent bottles of Drakkar Noir? I just made a thread about it a few days ago. New batches are ridiculously strong with a rich, thick mossy base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Have you tried relatively recent bottles of Drakkar Noir? I just made a thread about it a few days ago. New batches are ridiculously strong with a rich, thick mossy base.
    I haven’t I will look out for a newer batch code and jump on it sounds promising!
    Current Top 10

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Eucris (1912) by Geo. F. Trumper
    Currently wearing: Zizanie by Fragonard

Freed from BN Institution

Add to the list

Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
    Moschino Pour Homme
    Guerlain Derby
    Original Gucci Pour Homme
    Guerlain Mitosuko
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Dior Jules
    Gucci Nobile
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

1.Paco RabannePH
    2 Azzaro pH
    3 Kouros
    4Halston
    5 Polo
    6 Eau Sauvage
    There's alot more basically u gotta think like this , ANY COLONES THAT WAS A POWER HOUSE BACK THEN AND ITS STILL AROUND TODAY OBVS HAS BEEN REFORMULATED, SOME FOR THE VERY BAD AND SOME ARE NOT BAD AT ALL, ALOT IF THE PERFORMANCE WISE WAS WEAKEN THE SMELL HAS BEE. SOFTEN UP TO BE MODERNIZED WITH TODAYS STANDARDS, I mean. I dont think colognes like Kouros and Azzaro got ruined , just been weakend up paco Rabanne is still good but not how it was really really good I still got alot of them 2nd 3nd and 6 of the formulas

Chanel Pour Monsieur is the one that comes to mind first, and one that I can still most readily recognize the oakmoss in on drydown.
    Current SOTD Dunhill 1934, again a new version, I'm getting distinct oakmoss wafts from now in drydown and remember it really pops with a dab of oakmoss essential oil when I was experimenting.
    Reiterating there are prolly loads but these are ones that I'm familiar with.

Aramis Devin

Vintage Lauder For Men is chock a block full of that oakmoss goodness.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    2. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    3. Terre d Hermes Edt
    4. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Add to the list

Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
    Moschino Pour Homme
    Guerlain Derby
    Original Gucci Pour Homme
    Guerlain Mitosuko
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Dior Jules
    Gucci Nobile
    Ho Hang Club is a fantastic example, and also the perfume that made me realize I don't really care about oakmoss and it's not the magical element that lots of members here seem to think it is.

Top of that list is, as mentioned already, Guerlain's Mitsouko.

I like chypre genre the most, because of the oakmoss base, in perfumery.
    Dior's Dioressence (anything before 2002) has oakmoss which can grab you by the throat and not let go, well you wouldn't want it to.
    JSL's Jean Louis Scherrer is a loud oakmoss screecher, and I just enjoy it.

Then there is Aromatic Elixir, very herbaceous and oakmossy.
    Cabochard, Bandit, Tabac Blond, and Derby are the leather-laced-in-oakmoss dandies, discrete... ah, well... Bandit could never be discrete.
    Another from Guerlain, Sous le Vent... hmm.

Another rare gem, Laura Biagiotti's Laura Biagotti, was a chypre marketed to women but it is a marriage of Chanel No. 5 and Givenchy III, and if you ever find it, grab it.

And EL's Knowing, a wonderful perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    realize I don't really care about oakmoss and it's not the magical element that lots of members here seem to think it is.
    Some truth here.

Basenotes Plus

Wall Street by Victor
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

If you read about fragrances that were out pre-1990s, you'll encounter roughly 1,000 perfumes that are known for their oakmoss content. Especially if you're looking at stuff from the 1940s thru the 1970s.