Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default SOTD: Friday, 13th September, 2019

Scent of the Day Thread for Friday, 13th September, 2019

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Thursday, 12th September, 2019 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Thursday, 12th September, 2019 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Vanilla Cookie Dough by Demeter Fragrance Library

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Friday, 13th September, 2019

# 02 by FO'AH
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Friday, 13th September, 2019

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Vétiver (new) by Carven

Dependent

Carner Barcelona Cuirs

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

Freed from BN Institution

Synching with Creed Virgin Island Water.

Today is Friday the 13th and it's going to be a hot one here in California.
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 13th September 2019 at 06:09 AM.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

hello all,
    Currently wearing: Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Blog Entries

Morning all!

The saying about Friday the 13th is that it's unlucky for some (not all!), & you could say that about any day of the year, so l don't pay it much attention.

l'll be synching today with my sample of Jungle Jezebel by Sarah Baker Perfumes, which still isn't in the Directory, & hoping l don't offend too many people at work with it.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Cashmere Musk by Ava Luxe

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Friday the 13th as an unlucky day is an old superstition, dating back to the early days of Christianity.

"The number 13 is therefore associated with Judas Iscariot, Christ's betrayer, and is regarded as imperfect compared with 12, which represents the number of months in a year. The union of day and date has also been traced back to King Philip IV of France arresting hundreds of Knights Templar on Friday 13 October 1307."

I don't consider Friday, 13th as more unlucky or more lucky than other days, but I find the superstition amusing and I smile a bit every time I see it in a calendar. And today it's full moon as well, so if you thought about sacrificing some goats and dancing around the fire this evening, it seems like a good time for these activities.

I'm doing lots of work-related stuff while waiting for beer'o'clock today. I wish you all a nice Friday.

Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali today.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Friday the 13th as an unlucky day is an old superstition, dating back to the early days of Christianity.

"The number 13 is therefore associated with Judas Iscariot, Christ's betrayer, and is regarded as imperfect compared with 12, which represents the number of months in a year. The union of day and date has also been traced back to King Philip IV of France arresting hundreds of Knights Templar on Friday 13 October 1307."

I don't consider Friday, 13th as more unlucky or more lucky than other days, but I find the superstition amusing and I smile a bit every time I see it in a calendar. And today it's full moon as well, so if you thought about sacrificing some goats and dancing around the fire this evening, it seems like a good time for these activities.

I'm doing lots of work-related stuff while waiting for beer'o'clock today. I wish you all a nice Friday.

Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali today.

Thanks for that informative comment, I didn't know about the Knights Templar connection to Friday 13th.

Wearing Ithaka by Mendittorosa today, which is not listed here on BN, does anyone know what is the best way to get it listed?

It is inspired by a poem called Ithaca by C.P.Cavaky, a wonderful poem that reminds us that the journey is more important than getting there,

and at some point it encourages us to "buy fine things, sensual perfume of every kind- as many sensual perfumes as you can" - sounds good to me ;-)

hello all.

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful a sample
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTD

Happy Friday!

L‘Heure Bleue, early 2000s extrait for today.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Koenigsberg View Post
    Thanks for that informative comment, I didn't know about the Knights Templar connection to Friday 13th.

Wearing Ithaka by Mendittorosa today, which is not listed here on BN, does anyone know what is the best way to get it listed?

It is inspired by a poem called Ithaca by C.P.Cavaky, a wonderful poem that reminds us that the journey is more important than getting there,

and at some point it encourages us to "buy fine things, sensual perfume of every kind- as many sensual perfumes as you can" - sounds good to me ;-)
    I think you should write about Ithaka here and ask to include it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/432...-the-directory
    Or alternatively, submit it through the submission form here: http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php
    Or both.

And thank you for reminding me the beautiful poem by K. Kavafis! I have read 2 different Lithuanian translations of Ithaka years ago, it was a nice experience to find the English version, too. They all convey the same message but are quite different. Poetry is hard to translate, translator's interpretation always shows. But it's a beautiful poem in every form.
    My favourite poem by Konstantinos Kavafis is probably Waiting for the Barbarians. You inspired me to find the English translation of it, too. Thank you for it. It's interesting how I almost find the English translation of Ithaka better than Lithuanian one, but I feel that Barbarians sound much more powerful, thoughtful and dramatic in Lithuanian than in English. Too bad I don't know Greek to compare with original.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Good morning everyone Today is another rainy day. I was in the mood for Fille en Aiguilles, so I'm out of synch. Have a great day all. I have to work one hour overtime this evening :/ I was suppose to be off at nine.... But not so after all .... oh well...

Wearing Or du Sérail, which has a great pineapple note on me. Happy Friday the 13th! (I’m not superstitious. In fact my mother thinks 13 is her lucky number.)

Lol, I used to work with a girl whose husband insisted she stay home on every Friday the 13th. Seems she had wrecked their car on that date, multiple times, in the first few years of their marriage. So, we could not schedule her to work those dates. I believe she eventually got out of cosmetology altogether (I mean, you have to be there to actually make any money!) and I know for certain that this pair ended in divorce. Maybe something to that bad luck date, after all!

Samsara Shine for me today. Happy Friday, all!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ormonde Jayne Champaca today
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

I think you should write about Ithaka here and ask to include it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/432...-the-directory
    Or alternatively, submit it through the submission form here: http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php
    Or both.

And thank you for reminding me the beautiful poem by K. Kavafis! I have read 2 different Lithuanian translations of Ithaka years ago, it was a nice experience to find the English version, too. They all convey the same message but are quite different. Poetry is hard to translate, translator's interpretation always shows. But it's a beautiful poem in every form.
    My favourite poem by Konstantinos Kavafis is probably Waiting for the Barbarians. You inspired me to find the English translation of it, too. Thank you for it. It's interesting how I almost find the English translation of Ithaka better than Lithuanian one, but I feel that Barbarians sound much more powerful, thoughtful and dramatic in Lithuanian than in English. Too bad I don't know Greek to compare with original.

Thank you so much , I've looked up Barbarians and it is fantastic!!I'm becoming a huge fan of Kavafis.

I know what you mean about different languages working better for certain works, I've noticed that I much prefer Dostojevsky in German to English- shame I don't speak Russian...
    So glad to find someone here who knows and loves Kavafis!Perfume people are the best.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Koenigsberg View Post
    Wearing Ithaka by Mendittorosa today
    It is inspired by a poem called Ithaca by C.P.Cavaky, a wonderful poem that reminds us that the journey is more important than getting there
    Leave it to BN to divert me before I've even chosen a SOTD.

from "Ithaca" by C.P. Cavafy:

Hope that your journey is a long one.
    May there be many summer mornings when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors you're seeing for the first time;
    may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
    to buy fine things,
    mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
    sensual perfume of every kind-
    as many sensual perfumes as you can;
    and may you visit many Egyptian cities
    to learn and learn again from those who know.

Read by Sean Connery:

Basenotes Plus

Synching in Elephant, by Zoologist.
    Have a great Friday the 13th, all!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Thanks for the pity party for Mr. Q, teardrop, CwAlice, HoP, PL, Ryan, tdem, and Jon. It's not the burning stings so much as the follow-up itching that robbed him of sleep. He spent most of Wednesday night fidgeting in his recliner trying to make himself believe the calamine lotion was doing something. The itching sleeplessness so upturned our routine that Thursday, with its unusual day-long fog, felt like a day when the sun never rose. We ate off schedule and accomplished nothing. It was weird. Back on track today.

(((Ryan, Mrs. R, and Raina))) Happy two years of familyhood. Relax and enjoy your Michigan time.
    It gives me a happy every time a much-missed BNer shows, up. ErinK!

... And today it's full moon as well, so if you thought about sacrificing some goats and dancing around the fire this evening, it seems like a good time for these activities.
    How about dancing with goats? (I should seriously think about getting a goat as weeding partner.)

Cook.bot, I've been pushing myself more than ever to try to adopt -- or at least stop fighting -- that "the journey is the joy" mindset. "Conquer the day" is my default setting.

Borrowing an idea from freewheelingvagabond -- I'll wear a sample of The Fragrance Shop's knock-off of Hermes Le Jardin de Monsieur Li. The Hermes version is too high-pitched, and, although most of TFS's stuff stinks, they occasionally succeed in getting closer to something that suits me.
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. The number 13 has always been a lucky number for my family and me. My husband and I started dating on October 13, we got married on March 13, our daughter was born on the 26th - a multiple of 13 - and our son was born on November 13. Thirteen is considered lucky in Italian traditions. The expression fare tredici ("to do 13") means to hit the jackpot.

In synch with Mancera Roses & Chocolate for the cacao note. Wish you all a good day and weekend.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. So much for superstition - today has actually been a roaring success at work. I'm now hoping that tonight's Euromillions ticket can deliver

Warm enough here again for al fresco imbibing with a chilled sauvignon blanc (NZ, naturally) reporting for duty shortly.

Creed - Millesime Imperial.

Virgin Island Water

Basenotes Plus

I couldn't find an appropriate green for the sync today (someone should make a rum & green banana scent!), so I'm breaking ranks to go with:

Calypso by Robert Piguet

...which I don't even really like. It's a surprisingly uninteresting and confused oriental, nothing you'd expect from the home of Bandit and Fracas. I'm sure the 1949 original was more interesting and I'm sure Aurelian Guichard tried his best with this, but.... meh.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Acier Aluminium.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    SotE - Creed Acier Aluminium.
    Banana! Of course! Why didn't I think of that for the sync? I have a sample somewhere... might just scrub the Piguet and go with the Creed.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Reve Indien by Fragonard.

Nope. Don't like 13 anymore - I have my reasons. It falling on a Friday however, doesn't truly phase me one way or another.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Ettore Bugatti

I'm pretty far from Trinidad for the synch--I'm wearing MKK.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.