Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Looking back....

My first high-end was the Clive Christian No. 1/1872/X miniatures set, followed soon by FBs of 1872 and X.

There's always the potential for high-end stuff to be made of better ingredients by more masterful perfumers, but all that really matters is how the final product suits you, and I've found plenty to love for under $1/ml—sometimes quite a bit under.

A variety of Creeds were my first higher end purchases, and if I had to do it again, I would do the same.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Green Irish Tweed is the only high end I have. Want to get more but it's hard to rationalize with my budget and kids heading off to college soon.
    Totally get that and gotta put priorities in place for sure. GIT is great btw

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    2010 musc ravageur. Only one. Would never spend that much on anything ever again. Grand Soir straight from mfk online, i respect their sample program and wanted to support the company for that.
    Grand Soir is one I need to smell. Heard a lot about it. Also I need to find out about their sample program,I havenít heard about that before

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    For me, Mem was the first 200+ purchase I made. I think it was actually exactly $200. The quality and depth of that fragrance made me start saving up and seeking higher quality fragrances.
    Mem....another one I hadnít heard of

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    31 Rue Cambon. Luca Turin had given it 5 stars, so I went for it.
    And yet another new one for me. Thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I still say that MDCI Invasion Barbare and Penhaligon's Sartorial are both higher-end attempts to steal Platinum …goÔste's metallic aldehyde note.

Also, my first high-end buy was Amouage, then Montale, Mancera, and Creed.
    I wore Platinum way back and have good memories of it. Montale is a brand I hear a bit about and need to delve deeper into

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    My first high-end was the Clive Christian No. 1/1872/X miniatures set, followed soon by FBs of 1872 and X.

There's always the potential for high-end stuff to be made of better ingredients by more masterful perfumers, but all that really matters is how the final product suits you, and I've found plenty to love for under $1/ml—sometimes quite a bit under.
    Clive Christian line was mentioned earlier also, I need to experience that also

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    A variety of Creeds were my first higher end purchases, and if I had to do it again, I would do the same.

I was at the Creed boutique in Miami and got to smell many of their fragrances. I went away with some samples (I bought) and I’m trying to remember the one that I really liked. I liked several but 1 stuck out to me. Maybe spice and wood or something like that it was called

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    I was at the Creed boutique in Miami and got to small many of their fragrances. I went away with some samples (I bought) and I’m trying to remember the one that I really liked. I liked several but 1 stuck out to me. Maybe spice and wood or something like that it was called
    Yes, they do make one called Spice and Wood, and it is very excellent.

Realize that you don't have to pay retail prices to obtain most Creed fragrances. If you do, you'll be paying too much, needlessly.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Banned

Yes, they do make one called Spice and Wood, and it is very excellent.

Realize that you don't have to pay retail prices to obtain most Creed fragrances. If you do, you'll be paying too much, needlessly.
    I’m assuming you mean buying from FragranceNet or the like....

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I wore Platinum way back and have good memories of it. Montale is a brand I hear a bit about and need to delve deeper into
    Montale has

A

L O T

of fragrances, many of them redundant. Tread carefully.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Basenotes Plus

Higher end or just pricey? It’s hard to tell sometimes. Iirc my first >$200 bottle was a gift from my wife: Cartier L’Heure IV Fougeuse. It ticked all the right boxes for me. Alas, I can’t remember which particular fragrance busted my personal price limit for good.
    ď...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.Ē - Robin Sharma

I bought Bois Du Portugal, but considering what else I knew at the time I think I would've been happier with Oud Satin Mood. Portugal is the only scent of its kind that I have so I don't regret it, but I'm thinking about how often I've worn it. Creed, as expensive as they are-- are many peoples' foray into this hobby.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

My first niche purchase was Chergui, but I bought it at a reasonable price.

My first splurge was Musc Ravageur.

Still have and love both.

Basenotes Plus

If we are talking $ I only have one bottle that gets above that price point a little bit, Vie de Chateau Intense by Nicolai. Personally I think there is so much fantastic stuff around to be bought for under that pricepoint, that I don't really yet feel the need to go for the really expensive stuff. Especially as it seldom justifies it's price point IMO. For me personaly PdM is a great example of that, to me it smells like waaaay overpriced designer stuff.

If I would shell out more than $200,- (and not feel bad about it) it would be for a few Chanel Exclusifs (Sycomore, Coromandel, Bois des Illes) a few Parfums de Nicolai and vintage versions of many of the Guerlain classics.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Higher end or just pricey?
    The best synonym I can find for what I think people mean by "higher end" is "more expensive."

Because smell is subjective, I haven't found a better way to translate it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Montale has

A

L O T

of fragrances, many of them redundant. Tread carefully.
    Thanks for the heads up

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Higher end or just pricey? It’s hard to tell sometimes. Iirc my first >$200 bottle was a gift from my wife: Cartier L’Heure IV Fougeuse. It ticked all the right boxes for me. Alas, I can’t remember which particular fragrance busted my personal price limit for good.
    I think the 2 sorta go hand in hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CordonBeige View Post
    I bought Bois Du Portugal, but considering what else I knew at the time I think I would've been happier with Oud Satin Mood. Portugal is the only scent of its kind that I have so I don't regret it, but I'm thinking about how often I've worn it. Creed, as expensive as they are-- are many peoples' foray into this hobby.
    Oud Satin Mood sounds great, congrats

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    My first niche purchase was Chergui, but I bought it at a reasonable price.

My first splurge was Musc Ravageur.

Still have and love both.

Music Ravageur is a scent in my radar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    If we are talking $ I only have one bottle that gets above that price point a little bit, Vie de Chateau Intense by Nicolai. Personally I think there is so much fantastic stuff around to be bought for under that pricepoint, that I don't really yet feel the need to go for the really expensive stuff. Especially as it seldom justifies it's price point IMO. For me personaly PdM is a great example of that, to me it smells like waaaay overpriced designer stuff.

If I would shell out more than $200,- (and not feel bad about it) it would be for a few Chanel Exclusifs (Sycomore, Coromandel, Bois des Illes) a few Parfums de Nicolai and vintage versions of many of the Guerlain classics.
    Sycamore is a scent I feel like I will own and I already want Guerlain Heritage lol

I’m assuming you mean buying from FragranceNet or the like....
    Yes, or one of the many online places in Europe (especially Paris/France).

You can save yourself SO much money paying in euro's right now, and that goes for many other houses, not just Creed.

Banned

Yes, or one of the many online places in Europe (especially Paris/France).

You can save yourself SO much money paying in euro's right now, and that goes for many other houses, not just Creed.
    So buying direct from the manufactures based in Europe and paying with Euros (if your cc doesn’t charge fees) is better?

Basenotes Plus

Decided I wanted to treat myself to a new fragrance and went to Neiman’s. Purchased Creed Aventus (my first >$200). That ended up leading me to this site not long after purchasing. I’ve procured a 7 day Spring/summer and 7 day Fall/Winter rotation that I am happy with since then. So no regerts.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather was mine. And I'd get it again looking back.
    Same!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Same!
    I would still love to procure some vintage.

So buying direct from the manufactures based in Europe and paying with Euros (if your cc doesn’t charge fees) is better?
    Oh yes, significantly better prices than in the States....especially Creed.

Do a search here for best places to buy internationally, in France, in Paris, etc. There are many threads on the subject.

hednic is the expert when it comes to international buying.

Freed from BN Institution

From what I remembered many years ago, A bottle of Guerlain Spirtitueuse Double Vanille.

Around the same time I bought a lot of DHI silver collar bottles which are now very expensive and rare.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    Decided I wanted to treat myself to a new fragrance and went to Neiman’s. Purchased Creed Aventus (my first >$200). That ended up leading me to this site not long after purchasing. I’ve procured a 7 day Spring/summer and 7 day Fall/Winter rotation that I am happy with since then. So no regerts.
    That sort of sounds like something I would do. Have 5-7 scents for each season. I’m not after a huge collection. Really want to try lots of stuff and decide what I like and procure a well rounded smaller collection, like I do with my watch and fountain pen collection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast