Code of Conduct

Default methyl pamplemousse (grapefruit note) review

This is a review and description of Methyl Pamplemousse. (Methyl pamplemousse is the main synthetic grapefruit replacer)

First this has a strikingly beautiful smell reminiscent of Javanol (the best single compound sandalwood synthetic).
    It's green, green grapefruit, juicy grapefruit. It kind of smells like a mid to base note, but a little closer to a mid note.

It sort of has the effect of "rosy" sweet phenethyl alcohol, but taken to a little bit of a sharper aldehyde direction (both sharp alcohol and harsh aldehyde tinge).
    So not all of its fundamental aspects are entirely like grapefruit, which can make it just a little bit chemical smelling, but it does smell like grapefruit nonetheless.

There's something about it that reminds me of styrallyl acetate (Gardenol), but in a much better way, like what styrallyl acetate was trying to be but didn't live up to.
    (I can't recommend you get styrallyl acetate, it's certainly reminiscent of gardenia but not so much the good aspect of it)

Now, to try to compare it to nootkatone (the real green grapefruit compound). If I can use this analogy, it's like shifting it into a different gear. It definitely has a grapefruit note, a true type of one I would say, but the fundamental underlying nature is not quite the same. Nootkatone smells more like an "amber"y ketone (think Cashmeran, Iso E Super a little bit), whereas methyl pamplemouse inherently smells more of the sharp sweet "wilted rose" alcohol smell, and a tiny bit of the exquisite cotton candy/bubblegum note of the sweetness found in ambers like Cedramber (which chemically probably comes from those methoxy groups).

Methyl pamplemouse does cause some smell fatigue and anosmia, but it's at a higher threshold than many other materials like ionones or synthetic ambers.

Methyl pamplemouse does not just smell like a cheap chemical, like many other perfumer compounds do. Though, by itself at least, it is fairly synthetic smelling. Probably not quite as much of a real base note as real grapefruit (referring to how long the scent lingers on a test strip).

I do not believe this description is fully complete, and it needs to be further evaluated.

Default Re: methyl pamplemousse (grapefruit note) review

Thanks for all the reviews of aromachemicals you've been posting, it is very useful.

Basenotes Plus

This seems a little like the thread should be in the single notes area...???
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    This seems a little like the thread should be in the single notes area...???
    Yes, although I don't want to clutter the single note area with descriptions of synthetic chemicals.

One of my favorite a.c.

Review for Orange Flower Ether -
    sharp alcoholic perfume, very heady. If it smells like orange blossoms it's the sharp pungent deep character to them.
    some grapefruit bitterness, more like the inner rind of grapefruit, or the "orange" color component of grapefruit
    like one of the facets in the surface of grapefruit peel insofar as its bitter greenness
    waxy, rubbery, bitter green celery, orange
    slightly fruity floral in the same type of way as artificial grape

I'd like to compare and contrast Methyl Pamplemousse with Pamplefleur.
    While they are both "grapefruit", they are two completely different sides of grapefruit.
    Methyl Pamplemousse is in a much more of an exquisite "cardamom" direction than Pamplefleur. It's more fresh, beautiful like Javanol, almost lemon in a certain way, whereas Pamplefleur is more pungent intoxicating edible side of grapefruit.

These are the two most "grapefruit" smelling synthetic fragrance substances I've found.
    (I've smelled Citrolate, Claritone, Floropal, and Orange Flower Ether, none of them are really grapefruit, although they could be said to have certain types of grapefruit aspects)

Kind of off-topic but I found these descriptions for the different enantiomers of Pamplefleur:

(2R,4S)-Pamplefleur - natural, fruity odor in the direction of grapefruit and rhubarb, close to Gardenol ("methyl phenyl carbinyl acetate") and 2,5-dimethyloct-2-en-6-one, slightly metallic

(2S,4R)-Pamplefleur- fruity-citric odor, with some harsh, animalic, and slightly woody nuances, also a bit rubbery

(2R,4R)-Pamplefleur - floral-fruity odor in the direction of rhubarb with a touch of grapefruit, also reminiscent of Gardenol

(2S,4S)-Pamplefleur - floral-fruity odor in the direction of grapefruit and linalool, with earthy, woody and bitter nuances, also reminiscent of 2,5-dimethyloct-2-en-6-one and of some aspects of veitiver oil

https://www.leffingwell.com/chirality/miscellaneous.htm

Commercial Pamplefleur is of course a mix of them all.

(Personally, I'm a little rusty on my chemistry but I don't see how this molecule could have different separate enantiomers, maybe someone could send me a PM and explain to me)

However, the odor descriptions all seem accurate to me.

Another comparison of methyl pamplemousse head to head with pamplefleur:

Methyl pamplemousse: exquisite green, acetate, "scratchy" wood grapefruit skins,
    sour, juicy a bit, almost floral
    almost more cardamom direction
    slight lemon-lime nuance

Both methyl pamplemousse and pamplefleur show some resemblance to gardenol.

Pamplefleur: far more ruby-red, blood orange direction (at least in comparison to methyl pamplemousse)
    more juicy than methyl pamplemousse
    almost a little grape (but only by comparison)
    slightly guava sweet
    maybe slight vetiver nuance beneath juiciness
    simulates effect of grapefruit pungency with its rubbery-vetiver-grape-ruby citrus smell
    slight lemon-orange-Ruby Red grapefruit sort of smell

Both methyl pamplemousse and pamplefleur have the same type of sourness.

Pamplefleur is in a slightly more nuanced rubbery pink grapefruit smell (not at all in a bad way) than methyl pamplemousse.

I detect a little bit of bitterness in pamplefleur, whereas methyl pamplemousse is more like a green bitterness. Indeed, methyl pamplemousse might be slightly less bitter than pamplefleur but you wouldn't notice since pamplefleur is also a little bit sweeter and less sour.

They are both good materials. I think I slightly prefer methyl pamplemousse, but then again I often tend to personally prefer more sour citrus, and I think they would both probably work synergistically together.

I notice that methyl pamplemousse causes some anosmia so that when I try to smell pamplefleur immediately afterwards, all I can smell is a subtle sweet floral (benzyl benzoate like) subtle pink grape/honeysuckle smell.
    They both have a citrus-cedar effect, albeit the smell shifted just a little bit.

Methyl pamplemousse almost feels aquatic and fresh, in a very subtle way, whereas the effect of pamplefleur is slightly "moldy" or "deeper" in an extremely subtle way. (maybe you could say that both pamplefleur and methyl pamplemousse have just a very subtle varnish smell, but that varnish smell in pamplefleur is ever so slightly harsh)

Pamplefleur could be used to support and strengthen bergamot in the background, though it does also have a distinct pungent grapefruit-like note that would probably come through.

I hope this detailed comparison may help.
    Last edited by parker25mv; 14th October 2019 at 12:28 AM.

Maybe if I can describe the difference this way:
    Methyl pamplemousse would be more in the direction of a floral sweet (benzyl benzoate) woody, and pamplefleur would be more in the direction of methyl anthranilate, and a little more in the similar direction of Orange Flower Ether, though pamplefleur is more grapefruit than Orange Flower Ether is.
    I get a bit of a grapefruit-vetiver from pamplefleur, it's a synthetic vetiver smell, but the smell clearly leans more on the grapefruit side than vetiver, and grapefruit in a more "edible" sort of way. It's sort of a vetiver-rubberiness.

Something else to consider: Pamplefleur lasts longer on a test strip than Methyl Pamplemousse.