Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: What time period do you consider "The Golden Age" of Fragrances?

Late 80ies, early 90ies for me but that's only for "mainstream" fragrances of course. Everything "niche" came later.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    1979 to 1990 this was the era pushing limits and creativity. So many great scents came on to the market that was not flooded like today. A lot of thought, style and creativity was put into things.
    I would make it 1978 to have at least Azzaro pour homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme and Ralph Lauren Polo (green) included!
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Fragrances of Ireland: Patrick
    - Polo Blue Gold Blend edp
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

from the day Balafre was born to the day Davidoff by Davidoff was dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    from the day Balafre was born to the day Davidoff by Davidoff was dead!
    that sounds like the perfect answer.................
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Late 18th Century (Farina) to 1970s with some exceptions in the modern era.

As far as men's fragrances go, I'm tempted to say the 1980s. Some of the most distinctive fragrances came from that decade such as Kouros, Drakkar Noir, Obsession, Cool Water, and Fahrenheit. Not to mention it seemed like a lot more designers were throwing their hat in the fragrance ring at this time so you started to see even more options available. Quality seemed to be at its peak as well, since those fragrances seem to last all day and into the next morning. Modern fragrances don't seem to have that characteristic.

Personally though, maybe the last 15 years might be a golden age as far as variety is concerned.
    If you like gourmands that's been a popular category since at least 1 Million and Invictus.
    Ambroxan is like the new Oakmoss, yes? So you have Sauvage and Bleu de Chanel and everything else inspired by them.
    Then there's new releases that harken back to earlier times like Aramis' new Tobacco Reserve, Tom Ford's Anthracite, John Varvatos' Vintage and Artisan Acqua.
    An out-of-nowhere daring release like Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    The John Varvatos' line itself is pretty varied and doesn't seem to be chasing the flavor of the month, with the exception of JV X NJ, which is still a pretty good scent.
    There's something for everyone being released these days.

For me, it would have to be approximately from 2002--2012, because many of my favorite designer and niche fragrances were released during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    2010-2020.

It's never been easier to buy or discover new fragrances than it is right now.
    I completely agree, and would go one step further and say that the niche, indie scene will see more attention in the coming years. Or so I hope!
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    I completely agree, and would go one step further and say that the niche, indie scene will see more attention in the coming years. Or so I hope!
    I don't see why they won't keep growing until another large recession hits, and then all the people who are in it just for the money will slowly slink away.

Blog Entries

Off topic rant:
    Although I wanna say something about the above poster, I will refrain. I am just glad to see BN removed another troll, and cleaned up the place a little more, enough is enough.

This topic is a good one, and I 100% agree with the OP. I feel the golden age for frags was the 80s. Granted, I was born in 84, and I was 6 by 1990, so still I didn't get to live through the original formulation of all those classics that are still being made today, but they are very iconic. From what I have read, and research I have done, stories I have seen from people.. the 80s was when men's masculinity was at its peak, and macho men fragrances were on the rise. Granted, yes, some late 70's releases like Azzaro pH and Polo, but they might as well be the 80s, since they're from 78. I feel the 80's really put men's frags on the map, and made it "ok" for men to wear cologne. Earlier times would suggest otherwise. Fragrances were not big for men at earlier dates, you can look it up, do research, or even more so, ask people who lived in those eras. Drakkar, Fahrenheit, Versace L'homme, One Man Show, Antaeus, I mean the list goes on and on of fragrance names that EVERYBODY has heard of. One of my older friends who's a retired paramedic was telling me about when Obsession came out in the late 80's how it was basically what Aventus is today. He said every guy had it, or every guy wanted it. Toward the end of the decade we got Joop! - This is where I end this now. Not to say Joop! is a bad fragrance, but it's completely different than everything else from that era, and yet, no sign of any fragrances to really follow its trend in the later years after. Joop! took a risk, and it must've paid off because it's still in production today. But, that's where the macho masculine powerhouses end.

Now.. I do think that was the FIRST golden age, but I also feel there was a 2nd one. That is from 2009/1010-current.

I joined BN in 2010, when I stumbled across a Tswetcoff review on Youtube, that mentioned this site. I had been on BN earlier, but as a guest/lurker, I never really got into fragrances hardcore then. I was never big into forums, Reddit was a blip on the radar then, and people just didn't really join forums that much then, from what I recall. In fact, even now, when I communicate on here, I notice the majority of the forum posters are from around my join time or later. That was when us guys were watching Tswetcoff, Robes, and Cubby, the 3 main Youtube reviewers, and many of them mentioned Basenotes as a good place to learn more about fragrances. I feel I was here since the beginning of the site really expanding. I got to speak to a lot of the older Basenoter's who don't come around anymore, while still interacting with the new generation of people like myself getting into frags. I remember Dan Mickers got his start on here, asking us questions, before turning into a Youtube reviewer. He was part of that movement. Less known guys like BradW, Cutless Supreme, and other smaller reviewers got their start here on BN during that era. Though it is about the people, it's more about the fragrances you ask, right? But the abundance of people who all came here simultaneously should hint about the popularity of men's fragrances at the time. 2009/2010 was slow, but booming, but it wasn't until I would say 2012 when things really started to pick up. We had the tonka era, the oud era, the ambroxan era (which I hope will end soon). I think I remember reading somewhere that there were over 1600 new commercial releases of frags in 2014. Now while 1600 may not seem like a lot, these are commercial releases, meaning - well known brands. How many commercial men's fragrance releases do you think we got in 1990? Maybe 100? Youtube reviewers are at an all time high, with one name specifically that angers a lot of people, you cannot deny his popularity, with nearly a million subs, that's a million people who are into fragrances, just on the Youtube platform. Nobody would have ever dreamed of having a million subs in 2010. Which is why I think the golden age is really now, and maybe even yet to come.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Off topic rant:
    Although I wanna say something about the above poster, I will refrain. I am just glad to see BN removed another troll, and cleaned up the place a little more, enough is enough.
    Well I'm glad it's being dealt with quickly.

Anyway. I agree with the 80's and also this current period dating back to around 09 or so. There were so many great fragrances being made. Many are still around and still amazing, some are nothing like they use to be, and some are dead and gone.
    Today, there are many companies making some amazing stuff. Like never before. There is more available that ever and it's so much easier to get. People have access to these items like never before. If it weren't for the restrictions and reformulations, this current time would be the best time, but I would still have to give the edge to theh 80's. But only just barely.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren