Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Noob with particular tastes seeking recommendations

As the Leather Oud is drying down, I'm thinking that the "amber wood" note may be Ambroxan, as it reminds me a little too much of Dior Sauvage. I didn't like that note in Sauvage, as it seemed way too piercing. It is at least more subdued here, and more balanced by the leather. Despite this, overall I still love Leather Oud, and it's on the wishlist for a full bottle. Maybe I should try to make peace with Ambroxan (If indeed that is what this note is). I don't dislike the scent. I just find it a bit overpowering and piercing.

I'll look into the Encre Noire Extreme. Sounds promising.

Tom Ford Oud Minerale: I really like this one as well. Definitely has a sea salty, seaweedy vibe. I get a mossy, wet lichen note in here. Resinous trees. Seems to perform well also. I was still getting wafts of it the next day.

Tried a few more.

Tuscan Leather underwhelmed me a bit, perhaps because I had too high expectations. I had built it up in my head as being a stronger, more complex version of Ombre Leather, which I love. The leather in TL seemed to me more subdued, flanked by bitter herbal smoke, and an iris like floral note, perhaps from the jasmine, that outlasted the rest of the fragrance. The latter is familiar from OL, but it seemed more dominant here. I like the fragrance overall, but not as much as OL, which I think is more evocative of actual rich leather, and doesn't have that cigarette ash/bitter herb smoke note. I love raspberries, so I'm surprised I didn't get much of the raspberry aroma that supposedly dominates the opening, but perhaps I was distracted by other notes. Maybe something within the bitterness I mention is supposed to represent raspberry? I'll experiment with this one more.

Killian Straight to Heaven I really enjoyed. The opening smells just like popping open a bottle of Ron Zacapa aged rum. There are notes of oak and wine, as if to evoke the barrel aging of the rum. I also get some cedar, and something leathery, then it evolves into a spicy wood, vanilla, musky finish. I don't think this one projects very much on my skin, but I love the fragrance. Eau de Pirate.

I'm currently wearing Nasomatto Black Afgano. Love this one. The opening blast reminded me of Dr. Pepper, then notes of dank cannabis jumped to the fore, along with some smoke and coffee. I'm reminded of the Ethiopian manner of serving coffee with frankincense resin burning on the serving tray. As it settles in, I also recognize the same rich, round, slightly funky note from the Floris Leather Oud, which I take to be oud, and which I enjoy greatly. It seems to pair very naturally with the resinous cannabis notes. Something about this smells like breakfast. Syrupy. It also has that same "oily on the skin" feeling as Leather Oud, which I find interesting. Apparently I love oud fragrances.

You don't sound too picky, that's a long list of likes.

I'm in florida too, more scents than I'd imagine do work with the heat, but some absolutely don't.

You might like BDK creme de cuir. It manages to be fresh without being at all sharp or citrus or fruity. Like air and leather and something sweetish, I really like it. Spendy though.

Neil Morris would undoubtedly have some scents that suit you, too, if you are looking for affordable and not common.

I wish Sonoma Scent Studio was still around, Tabac Aurea was such a great tobacco scent.

I'm enjoying this thread precisely because you're giving us your reactions as you go. So many of these recommendation threads just fade into nothingness.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread precisely because you're giving us your reactions as you go. So many of these recommendation threads just fade into nothingness.
    Exactly.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
    Just purchased samples of these:

Tuscan Leather
    --
    Soul of the Forest
    --
    By The Fireplace
    --
    Leather Oud (Floris, not Dior)
    --
    Virgin Island Water
    --
    Chergui
    --
    Black Afgano
    --
    Straight To Heaven
    --
    Oud Minerale
    --
    Oud Wood
    --
    Tobacco Vanille
    --
    Encre Noire

This should be an interesting set, I think.
    You purchased a nice assortment to experience.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I glad y'all enjoy reading my reactions, because I enjoy writing them. I tried a few more of my samples, and a few more things at Sephora, which I'm happy to provide my opinions on.

Tom Ford Oud Wood: I really enjoyed this one, but it doesn't seem to have the greatest projection and performance on my skin. It opens with a rich accord of cardamom and spices, a sort of hardwood note (maybe that's the rosewood), then fades into a vanilla-sandalwood-spice accord. I don't get much of the funky oud note like I do from the Leather Oud or Black Afgano. I like all the notes, especially the creamy sandalwood, but I'm not sure I'd buy a whole bottle due to the lack of performance for the cost.

Creed Virgin Island Water: This one is very different, as the only fresh summery scent I got in my batch of samples. I love this scent as well, but again, not sure if a bottle is worth it, because living at the beach I already smell like this over half the year from coconut sunscreen and limey beverages Lol. If someone gifted it to me I would surely wear it often during the warmer months. I do like the, for lack of a better term, "beachy" clean smelling drydown as well.

At Sephora I managed to smell a bunch of things, but a few stand out. I don't have any of them on hand, so I'll try to recall my impressions from memory.

Terre d'Hermes EDT/Parfum/TDH Eau Intense Vetiver: I absolutely loved each of these. This is how I want my vetiver scents to smell - earthy, rich, woody, smoky. This is what I was hoping for when I tried Encre Noire, but I found it with TDH and the flankers. These are on the short list. The only difficulty will be figuring out which one I want to purchase.

Dior Eau Sauvage: I had to try this classic out. Different from the sort of thing I usually go for, but I enjoyed it. Citrus and aromatic herbs, with green herbal undertones. There are herbal notes in this that remind me of Aramis. Not sure which ones exactly...cumin, patchouli, or oakmoss perhaps.

A few more reviews:

Margiela Soul of the Forest: This one reminds me of backpacking in an alpine forest, one of my favorite activities. Balsam and other fir trees, whiff of campfire smoke, mossy earth, lichen covered rocks, fresh mountain air. This reminds me a bit of Oud Minerale, which I also love, but with a little more smoky incense and less seaside. Where OM is a seaside forest, this is a mountain forest. I love them both.

Margiela By the Fireplace: For me, this captures sitting by the fire at Christmas. Fire smoke, toasted nuts, and vanilla. It's more simplistic than Soul of the Forest, but what it does, it does well. I enjoyed it and would wear it myself, but I think I'd enjoy it even more on my partner, because although it isn't feminine per se, there's a certain gourmand accord in here that I think would smell delicious on a woman.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

How about Bel Ami Vetiver, a leather+vetiver?

Take your time to sample perfumes, and don't rush with purchases.