Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. #1

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,058
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Why has my post count gone down - again?

    My post count has gone down overnight by about 20-30 posts. l know that isn't much, but it is still annoying as well as mystifying. Why has this happened, please, & can my posts be restored? Has anyone else had this happen?

    Thanks in advance.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Very strange. Maybe some of your posts have been flagged and removed?

  3. #3
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    41,306

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Everyone saw a decrease in his/her post. Not sure if the recent spams have anything to with it. Weird stuff has been happening the last few days.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Bavard was spuriously banned, and when that happened, all the threads he created disappeared. So, anyone who had posts in those threads would see their post count decrease. This may have happened to other members, as well; I'm only aware of Bavard (who, thankfully, was unbanned, though last I checked his threads were still in absentia).
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

  5. #5

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,058
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Very strange. Maybe some of your posts have been flagged and removed?
    As if!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  6. #6

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,058
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Bavard was spuriously banned, and when that happened, all the threads he created disappeared. So, anyone who had posts in those threads would see their post count decrease. This may have happened to other members, as well; I'm only aware of Bavard (who, thankfully, was unbanned, though last I checked his threads were still in absentia).
    Now that IS strange! But l guess that might explain it, thanks.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  7. #7
    not right, in the head

    HouseOfPhlegethon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ....................................... Central PA
    Posts
    4,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Bavard banned? Nawwww. I find that hard to believe, the ban thing, that is. I'm sure if my post count is down, I don't know. I don't really keep track. But, yes, his threads are still missing. I hope they return. I reread his thoughts on perfumes and such quite often...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

    Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

  8. #8
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Bavard banned? Nawwww. I find that hard to believe, the ban thing, that is. I'm sure if my post count is down, I don't know. I don't really keep track. But, yes, his threads are still missing. I hope they return. I reread his thoughts on perfumes and such quite often...
    Aw, thanks, HoP. I'm more than happy to share any thoughts.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    For some reason, which I am looking into now, Bavard was accidentally banned. We've had a biiig influx in spam lately, and it looks like B's account got caught in the crossfire.

    As a result all of the threads started by Bavard were deleted, which I'm going to restore shortly. When it does this it takes off the post counts of anyone who posted in the thread. Unfortunately, when I go in the back end to replace all the posts, it won't update the post count. WHich is a massive PITA.

    If you think your post cont is effected, let me know, and I can go in the back end, count your actual posts, and manually amend your figure

    Sorry everyone. It's a bit nuts round here at the moment

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hic sunt dracones
    Posts
    672

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Ouch.

    Grant, stay strong and stay sane, and thank you for caring for the site and all of us here.

    Bavard, I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your threads and posts are restored soon. I also like reading what you have to say, and you usually have to say quite a lot of interesting stuff.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    We're having major issues with the Spam tool on the site at the moment. It's been behaving erratically, and seems to be randomly dishing out bans and deleting the wrong stuff. I'm going to check with my host about getting hold of old backups, and see if there has been any security breaches.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    And now it's happened to KBE, too -- banned and all posts erased.

    http://www.basenotes.net/members/8031-kbe

  13. #13
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,265

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Time to move to Xenforo 2 Grant?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

  14. #14
    Dependent cytherian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On a cliff overlooking Manhattan
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    And now it's happened to KBE, too -- banned and all posts erased.

    http://www.basenotes.net/members/8031-kbe
    What the... Weird that an anti-spam tool would perform auto-bans of members. KBE visits regularly and I'll bet he's probably quite shocked about discovering his account is banned. Maybe Grant can contact him directly and let him know?

    I wonder if there may be some parameters that you can specify with regard to this auto-ban. Such as a post count above a certain number or membership lifespan beyond X months wouldn't do it automatically.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    What the... Weird that an anti-spam tool would perform auto-bans of members. KBE visits regularly and I'll bet he's probably quite shocked about discovering his account is banned. Maybe Grant can contact him directly and let him know?
    KBE knows what's going on. I got a direct message from him.

  16. #16
    not right, in the head

    HouseOfPhlegethon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ....................................... Central PA
    Posts
    4,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Aw, thanks, HoP. I'm more than happy to share any thoughts.
    I hope all is restored, soon!

    I hope Grant can get this debacle fixed without too much hair-pulling, and head banging off of the keyboard!!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

    Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

  17. #17
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,578

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    I've lost 30 or more posts, not a big deal in itself, but clearly related to the larger issue.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    My post count has gone down overnight by about 20-30 posts. l know that isn't much, but it is still annoying as well as mystifying. Why has this happened, please, & can my posts be restored? Has anyone else had this happen?

    Thanks in advance.
    Yes teardrop my post count also seems off by about the same amount. I wonder if its only the count though or if all actual posts have been deleted.

    All this AI!
    Today, its Basenotes.
    Tomorrow it will be a 6ft Austrian with a bad case of red-eye kicking in our front doors and dropping epic one-liners, like -

    “Get down you scrawny perfumistas and do some pushups.”
    “Stick around...like my cologne”
    ”I need you clothes your boots and your Bois Noir”

    Only a matter of time I tells you.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  19. #19
    Dependent cytherian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On a cliff overlooking Manhattan
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    KBE knows what's going on. I got a direct message from him.
    Good to know, thanks!
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

  20. #20
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,232

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    All this AI!
    Today, its Basenotes.
    Tomorrow it will be a 6ft Austrian with a bad case of red-eye kicking in our front doors and dropping epic one-liners, like -

    “Get down you scrawny perfumistas and do some pushups.”
    “Stick around...like my cologne”
    ”I need you clothes your boots and your Bois Noir”

    Only a matter of time I tells you.
    OMG Mr Sheik!! It all started like this today at Basenotes Headquarters! The six foot tall... Austrian... and all.
    But it was supposed to be a secret - how did you find out? We did notice the office CCTV was also hacked in to as well.... hmmm
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  21. #21
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,232

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    On a serious note though guys, let’s be a bit patient and let the techies do their stuff.

    The post count is easily fixed by Grant and I understand he and the admin team are working flat out. He is going through the pain while all we need to do is just sit and wait.

    It’s not a matter of “if” but “when” so let’s sit back, smell good and be patient. Thanks for your understanding!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  22. #22

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,058
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Thanks Grant, but l've lost another 15 or so from my post count since this morning!

    l'm sorry this has happened to Bavard & kbe, two fine upstanding members of this community. This is all very strange, & frankly quite worrying.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    5,476
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Good to know, thanks!
    I am setting up a 900 number to answer all questions about lost posts, banning, shunning, planters warts' ectopic pregnancies and scabies. I need to profit from this turmoil!

    Actually I have no clue.. It it might be the devious work of that temptress Lola, my 2nd grade heart throb. She never forgave me for ditching her for her cute little chihuahua.

    Oh, and I've lost about 22k+ post count too.

    Lola, forgive me! The only thing that wretched dog taught me was how to solve an itchy butt by scootching across a rug. Gotta say, it does work though..
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

  24. #24
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Hey, noble techies,

    This is a relatively minor thing, but as it may be related, I thought I'd mention it: the board seems a bit flaky with regard to tracking which messages I have and haven't read. It goes both ways: some unread messages appear as read, and some read ones as unread. Not a high priority in itself, but maybe an additional clue for your more serious issues.
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    I'll bet the lost posts issue is related to the arbitrary bannings. Whenever someone is unintentionally banned, every thread they ever started disappears too. Therefore, any posts you made in those threads also disappears.

    I'm betting that when those lost threads are restored, everyone's post count will be restored too.

    Just my (completely uninformed) guess.

    KBE's profile page (and his avatar block, above) show that he is still banned, yet he can obviously post here. However, his profile page link for "find latest started threads" still returns a blank page.

  26. #26
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,265

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I am setting up a 900 number to answer all questions about lost posts, banning, shunning, planters warts' ectopic pregnancies and scabies. I need to profit from this turmoil!

    Actually I have no clue.. It it might be the devious work of that temptress Lola, my 2nd grade heart throb. She never forgave me for ditching her for her cute little chihuahua.

    Oh, and I've lost about 22k+ post count too.

    Lola, forgive me! The only thing that wretched dog taught me was how to solve an itchy butt by scootching across a rug. Gotta say, it does work though..
    Not cool man. Ditching a girl for her dog.
    22k lost post count is a small price to pay for the crime IMO. Like getting community service for fraud in college admissions.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

  27. #27

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Okay, just a heads up.

    I've turned off new registrations for the time being, so that should temporarily solve the spam issue. I'm going to be spending tomorrow merging a backup database with thew current database, so there may be a bit of down time over the weekend. I know about Bavard and KBE's posts being AWOL, but if anyone has noticed anyone else, please let me know.

    My apologies for all this, and the sooner we're no longer on ten-year old forum software, the better!

  28. #28
    not right, in the head

    HouseOfPhlegethon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ....................................... Central PA
    Posts
    4,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Thanks for the heads-up, Grant. Hope the missing posts get fixed for our fellow buddies.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

    Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

  29. #29
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,232

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    the sooner we're no longer on ten-year old forum software, the better!
    Amen to this!!!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  30. #30
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Why has my post count gone down - again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, just a heads up.

    I've turned off new registrations for the time being, so that should temporarily solve the spam issue. I'm going to be spending tomorrow merging a backup database with thew current database, so there may be a bit of down time over the weekend. I know about Bavard and KBE's posts being AWOL, but if anyone has noticed anyone else, please let me know.

    My apologies for all this, and the sooner we're no longer on ten-year old forum software, the better!
    SexySmells




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why has my post count gone down?
    By teardrop in forum Tech Questions, Bug, Feature Requests, Basenotes-related talk...
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 30th November 2018, 10:32 PM
  2. Post count bug?
    By Juxtapozbliss in forum Tech Questions, Bug, Feature Requests, Basenotes-related talk...
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 5th October 2018, 09:49 PM
  3. Why has my post count gone down??!
    By teardrop in forum Tech Questions, Bug, Feature Requests, Basenotes-related talk...
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24th January 2015, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000