Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default More info? - Caron Pour Un Homme Champagne Cologne (French Lavender Cologne).

Howdy everyone - so I bought this vintage Caron, but I didn't find much/any info on it with my brief searching.

I have/had regular Caron Pour Un Homme (de) - more modern stuff and currently own the bulbous black cap stuff that smells amazing. Also have a ~1969 or older Les Plus Belles Lavandes that smells amazing as well.

So I came across this one and took a chance; why not, lol.

I think this one is pre ~1970 as well because of having the crown logo instead of the double-sided C logo.

Any info on it at all? Thanks!

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: More info? - Caron Pour Un Homme Champagne Cologne (French Lavender Cologne).

Did you receive it yet? It looks great. I would also say 1960's-70's but with Caron packaging, I go by instinct. Raiders has a wonderful Caron guide but it focuses on the European packaging only.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...umes-1965.html
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: More info? - Caron Pour Un Homme Champagne Cologne (French Lavender Cologne).

It looks very nice. Hadn't seen that version before.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Please report back with what you think.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Did you receive it yet? It looks great. I would also say 1960's-70's but with Caron packaging, I go by instinct. Raiders has a wonderful Caron guide but it focuses on the European packaging only.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...umes-1965.html
    Not yet! Glad it comes with box also - from what I've seen it looks pretty good, and was likely stored in the box for most of its life - helping preserve it from light.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It looks very nice. Hadn't seen that version before.
    Not sure I have either - curious how it smells, haha

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Please report back with what you think.
    Will do!
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Interesting! And wouldn't that 75 degrees (%) mark on the bottom of the bottle indicate a much higher concentration of perfume oils than usual for a cologne?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Interesting! And wouldn't that 75 degrees (%) mark on the bottom of the bottle indicate a much higher concentration of perfume oils than usual for a cologne?
    Oh, not sure I noticed that in regards to strength! Perhaps so - I think my vintage regular Caron PUH's are.. 77%? As does my Les Plus Belles Lavandes (77%).

Interesting indeed.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

First, I was eying that very bottle, but couldn't quite bring myself to pull the trigger. So, congrats! I'm only mildly jealous.

Second, I've seen pics of similar bottles in museums, but that's about it. Caron has another champagne-themed scent, Royal Bain de Champagne, but I have no idea if the two are related other than by name.

Third, as you probably know, the crown logo dates the bottle as pre-1970. Like you, I have a crown logo Plus Belles Lavandes, though I have yet to break the seal on mine. (I also have one from the 1980s that I'll probably open first.)

I realize none of that is very useful, but it's all I got! I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Ah, but you're operating on the assumption that the only ingredients are fragrance and alcohol. There's water as well, and the more water, the lower the alcohol concentration. Alcohol is used as a solvent for the aromatic compounds, so a lower fragrance concentration tends to have more water in the solution. So, paradoxically, a higher concentration of alcohol often indicates a higher concentration of aromatic compounds. An EdC typically has a lower concentration of alcohol than an EdT or EdP because it has more water.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    An EdC typically has a lower concentration of alcohol than an EdT or EdP because it has more water.
    I did not realize that!

Basenotes Plus

(I also have one from the 1980s that I'll probably open first.)
    I just checked, and my second bottle is actually from 1971.

Basenotes Plus

First, I was eying that very bottle, but couldn't quite bring myself to pull the trigger. So, congrats! I'm only mildly jealous.

Second, I've seen pics of similar bottles in museums, but that's about it. Caron has another champagne-themed scent, Royal Bain de Champagne, but I have no idea if the two are related other than by name.

Third, as you probably know, the crown logo dates the bottle as pre-1970. Like you, I have a crown logo Plus Belles Lavandes, though I have yet to break the seal on mine. (I also have one from the 1980s that I'll probably open first.)

I realize none of that is very useful, but it's all I got! I can't wait to hear your impressions.
    Oh, neat! Yeah, I saw the 'Bain' stuff but they don't appear to be the same. Seems to just be another type of flanker to the original PUH, which if it's similar to it I'll probably enjoy.

I just checked, and my second bottle is actually from 1971.
    Whoa, how could you tell? Batch code or something?
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Whoa, how could you tell? Batch code or something?
    Batch code on the box, combined with the other visual cues. Guy who sold it to me said it was from the '80s, and I hadn't bothered to check. Likewise, the one who sold me my pre-1970 bottle said it was from 1941, but I haven't even tried to confirm that.

The only reason I even have both bottles is I foolishly made Best Offers to both sellers at once, figuring I'd be lucky if one were accepted. Apparently, I'm a lot luckier than I thought.

Basenotes Plus

Batch code on the box, combined with the other visual cues. Guy who sold it to me said it was from the '80s, and I hadn't bothered to check. Likewise, the one who sold me my pre-1970 bottle said it was from 1941, but I haven't even tried to confirm that.

The only reason I even have both bottles is I foolishly made Best Offers to both sellers at once, figuring I'd be lucky if one were accepted. Apparently, I'm a lot luckier than I thought.
    Haha, that's how I got the one in this thread as well. I shot a low ball offer and they accepted, I was like "Oh..! Okay then.", was kind of expecting them to counter (or reject) it. A lot of sellers might just get downright mad when you shoot a low offer, but it's eBay.. a lot of haggling happens, back and forth until a happy middle-ground. Guess s/he was happy with my 'low' offer, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Though, it's not bad having two Les Plus Belles Lavandes is it? I've wanted a second bottle as well. Smells awesome!
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

One small additional bit of info: PuHC appears to have been introduced, at least in the US, in mid-1964. That's when it was first mentioned in American newspaper columns and advertisements.

Ah, but you're operating on the assumption that the only ingredients are fragrance and alcohol. There's water as well, and the more water, the lower the alcohol concentration. Alcohol is used as a solvent for the aromatic compounds, so a lower fragrance concentration tends to have more water in the solution. So, paradoxically, a higher concentration of alcohol often indicates a higher concentration of aromatic compounds. An EdC typically has a lower concentration of alcohol than an EdT or EdP because it has more water.
    I think this also explains why aftershaves have even lower percentages, as low as 55%.

Interesting to read some of the insights here.
    What is the general consensus on Les Plus Belles Lavandes - is it similar to any of the modern parfum strength versions of PuH?

Also, do the vintage bottles of regular PuH smell more or less powdery than the current EdT on the shelves?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Interesting to read some of the insights here.
    What is the general consensus on Les Plus Belles Lavandes - is it similar to any of the modern parfum strength versions of PuH?

Also, do the vintage bottles of regular PuH smell more or less powdery than the current EdT on the shelves?
    Can't speak about Les Plus (vintage version, not newer stuff) in comparison to the Parfum strengths of PUH, but I do find it similar to my vintage PUH but not as.. thick? Not as animalic. Better than current stuff though.

And yeah, the modern PUH is nice but not as nice as the vintage. Current smells more Play-Doh-y and lacks a warmer base. Vintage (black bulbous plastic cap) is thicker, sweeter, more animalic (in a urinous type of way, kind of like Kouros drydown and Absolue Pour le Soir I guess?). The lavenders may hit differently as well. Vintage black cap has a more herbal almost bitter type of lavender in the opening, Les Plus vintage is more tame and balanced.

Curious how this Champagne flanker compares.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Can't speak about Les Plus (vintage version, not newer stuff) in comparison to the Parfum strengths of PUH, but I do find it similar to my vintage PUH but not as.. thick? Not as animalic. Better than current stuff though.

And yeah, the modern PUH is nice but not as nice as the vintage. Current smells more Play-Doh-y and lacks a warmer base. Vintage (black bulbous plastic cap) is thicker, sweeter, more animalic (in a urinous type of way, kind of like Kouros drydown and Absolue Pour le Soir I guess?). The lavenders may hit differently as well. Vintage black cap has a more herbal almost bitter type of lavender in the opening, Les Plus vintage is more tame and balanced.

Curious how this Champagne flanker compares.
    Thanks - this is helpful.

I've not got on with the current EdT and haven't managed to like the parfum/millesime editions enough to own a bottle.

I am curious though about the various vintages though. I'd be blind buying if I did go for something like that but ultimately this is nearly always the case with vintages.

As for the Les Plus, I'd be going down a completely blind alley...

Basenotes Plus

Thanks - this is helpful.

I've not got on with the current EdT and haven't managed to like the parfum/millesime editions enough to own a bottle.

I am curious though about the various vintages though. I'd be blind buying if I did go for something like that but ultimately this is nearly always the case with vintages.

As for the Les Plus, I'd be going down a completely blind alley...
    The Les Plus is like.. a refined PUH or something. The rougher edges were smoothed over. If you're not a fan of animalic stuff, then you may prefer the Les Plus. The black bulb cap PUH is kind of like wearing an animalic marshmallow, haha.

I also remembered, I did own the 2014 Millesime as well. Sold it. I sold the 2014 Millesime and the more modern EdT bottle(s). No plans to get rid of my vintage PUHs, .
    All Hail King Kouros!

The Les Plus is like.. a refined PUH or something. The rougher edges were smoothed over. If you're not a fan of animalic stuff, then you may prefer the Les Plus. The black bulb cap PUH is kind of like wearing an animalic marshmallow, haha.

I also remembered, I did own the 2014 Millesime as well. Sold it. I sold the 2014 Millesime and the more modern EdT bottle(s). No plans to get rid of my vintage PUHs, .
    Interesting info - thanks for that.
    Yup I had both L'Impact and Millesime 2014 and eventually moved both on. Came across as a bit harsh. The new Parfum or L'Impact was nicer but very strong. Literally lasted days on clothes.

I suppose it's time to seek out the vintage.

Basenotes Plus

I suppose it's time to seek out the vintage.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Alrighty, I have some on right now. I posted stuff in another thread, but here's a copy and paste quote of a lot of stuff:

"I uh... well... I'm not sure how to describe this. Haha. It does NOT smell like Pour Un Homme the regular type.

It is pleasant though and doesn't appear spoiled, which is cool considering it's maybe from ~1964-1969.

The very opening note is SUPEEEERRR familiar, but I couldn't say what it is, ugh. Maybe not chamomile... but it's like a sweet semi-honeyed pollen-y flower smell, haha.

It's somewhat recognizable, but also a bit.. different. The opening and wafts you get from it are familiar and calming; pleasant. Smelling up close gives a more industrial feel? Makes me think of chalk, vinyl, plastic.

I would like to see the notes in this, alas that may be a little difficult to come by?"

Edit: Update - a little later I woke up and sniffed my arm and it did resemble Caron Pour Un Homme by then. Interesting.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 26th September 2019 at 01:37 PM.
    All Hail King Kouros!