Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Do smokers perceive scents differently?

Perhaps our profiles should include if one smokes or not

I remember buying fumerie turque because of good reviews. It smelled awful.

I realized the good reviews were from smokers who are used to smelling like an ashtray 24/7.

Ironically I love the smell of cherry pipe tobacco and tend to enjoy some of these, but dislike the dark ones like that Versace one (dreamer?) and don’t like cigars so all those pure Havana type don’t work for me.

Default Re: Do smokers perceive scents differently?

Given the very wide variance in the quality of tobacco notes and in how they're contextualized in perfumery, I don't think you're going to find a neat breakdown between "smokers" and "nonsmokers."

All highly distinctive notes are bound to be polarizing. I love real-life roses but dislike the majority of rose notes in fragrances. I like most boozy notes while other folks find them challenging, but even I can find some boozy scents that turn me off (like Laudano Nero).

I don't smoke regularly and don't enjoy the aroma of real-world stale cigarette or cigar smoke, but I have recreationally used tobacco in various forms in the past and enjoyed them. I love the smell of an unlit cigar or pipe tobacco, and fell in love with the aroma at a young age.

Tobacco is my favourite note and I do appreciate when a perfumer achieves a realistic recreation of it.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Definitely need a run down of all recreational drugs that may have influenced the perception and this the review. What about stoners? Is there a difference depending on the whether they smoke it or use edibles?
    There are certainly the occasional reviews where there was potential use of psychedelics involved.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Historically many noses smoked. A lot. Source is J.C. Elena’s book.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I love the smell of cherry pipe tobacco and tend to enjoy some of these
    As do I.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Definitely need a run down of all recreational drugs that may have influenced the perception and this the review. What about stoners? Is there a difference depending on the whether they smoke it or use edibles?
    There are certainly the occasional reviews where there was potential use of psychedelics involved.
    I think one of my reviews didn't make it past the censors because I made reference to the fact that one of the previous reviews appeared to have been written by somebody under the influence of powerful psychedelics.
    Regarding smoking , I think that the deadening of the sense of smell ( similar to the sense of taste) through smoking is more of an issue than whether a scent includes tobacco notes or not, and as an occasional stoner ( though of course I never inhale ) the effects of cannabis could make Burberry Weekend seem like it was created by the deities of olfaction

We all perceive the same thing differently - smoker or not. I smoked for years and quit in the last 2 years, but things I've had still smell the same to me
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

I don’t mean this as person disrespect to smokers, but I can’t trust their reviews as much due to their predilection to cigarette and ashtray smell being acceptable. Fumerie turque was a life lesson to me. Odori tobacco was another.

I can’t speak to cannaibis and psychedelic usage so I prefer not to comment too much. But those with altered cannabanoid receptors may like scents like Hindu Kush that others may be adverse too.

The lesson here is trust your own nose as others have their own biases.

I don’t mean this as person disrespect to smokers, but I can’t trust their reviews as much due to their predilection to cigarette and ashtray smell being acceptable. Fumerie turque was a life lesson to me. Odori tobacco was another.

I can’t speak to cannaibis and psychedelic usage so I prefer not to comment too much. But those with altered cannabanoid receptors may like scents like Hindu Kush that others may be adverse too.

The lesson here is trust your own nose as others have their own biases.
    But that goes for everything. Some people like the smell of civet, while others don't. Some people like the smell of tonka, while others don't. Some people like the smell of rose, while others don't. Some people like the smell of Sauvage, while others are sane.

I don't see why smokers should be singled out for the lesson.

Odori tobacco was another.
    This an all-timer, but it is very much a "tobacco-lover's tobacco scent." I don't get ashtray from it, but it is very dry and powdery. It was designed to be suggestive of the aroma left on skin after harvesting tobacco in the fields.

I was told by someone who works in the industry that the reason a lot of the older powerhouse fragrances were so loud was because everyone smoked and it had to cut through.

I love Fumerie Turque, and I have never smoked. Even bought a vintage bottle off eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    I was told by someone who works in the industry that the reason a lot of the older powerhouse fragrances were so loud was because everyone smoked and it had to cut through.
    Yes I’d like to know if someone smokes so I can determine:

Are astray scents acceptable to them (they aren’t for the rest of us)

Do the like scents overly loud in a way to mask their cigarette odor.

Since they’re receptors are altered by smoking it’s possible they perceive scents differently than the rest of us, making their opinions unrelatable to my needs. This one is important because it goes beyond personal cultural/gender/age related tastes and become a medical difference.

I’m not intending this as an attack on smokers. Please keep this thread classy.

I don't think you should try to speak for others than yourself.

Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    I love Fumerie Turque, and I have never smoked. Even bought a vintage bottle off eBay.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Missing Oakmoss

I was at one time a heavy smoker, but perfumes smelled the same to me then as they do now. Familiar scents of all kinds (not just perfume) smell more intense to me as a non-smoker, but not different from how I remember them smelling back in the day.

Since they’re receptors are altered by smoking it’s possible they perceive scents differently than the rest of us
    What you seem to be missing is that everyone perceives scents differently from everyone else. For instance, I know what vanilla smells like to me, and sometimes it is great and sometimes it is terrible. Someone else knows what vanilla smells like to their own nose, and maybe they like it and maybe they don't. However, neither of us has any idea if our perception of vanilla is exactly the same as anyone else's. I do not know what vanilla smells like to someone else's nose, nor do they know what it smells like to my nose. That's why some people like some fragrances and some people like others.

Everyone has a different nose. Whether or not someone smokes has nothing to do with it.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I have definitely heard former smokers say that their sense of taste and smell improved when they quit, so it’s not unreasonable to wonder whether smoking may negatively impact fragrance appreciation.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I’m not intending this as an attack on smokers. Please keep this thread classy.
    IMHO, your intent in this thread seems muddled. You insult smokers and then you say that you don't intend to attack smokers. And then you ask for this thread to be kept "classy."

You state a purpose and then do the opposite. I'm not sure how else to reply.

And no, I'm not a smoker, not that it should matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Simchaland View Post
    IMHO, your intent in this thread seems muddled. You insult smokers and then you say that you don't intend to attack smokers. And then you ask for this thread to be kept "classy."

You state a purpose and then do the opposite. I'm not sure how else to reply.

And no, I'm not a smoker, not that it should matter at all.

" In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

" Of course it's possible to troll at a much less violent level, simply by stalking through internet communities where people might be expected to think in a particular way, and saying things that will wind them up. If you would like to try this sort of trolling to see what the appeal is, I suggest you go on to the Comment is Free section of the Guardian's website and post something like, "People shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to pay for them. End of." Or: "men like skinny women, which is why you won't be able to find me a banker with a fat wife. WILL YOU?" Or: "Men like sex. Women like cuddles. GET OVER IT." Or: "Nobody even knows what's in a greenhouse gas. How can I take 'climate change' seriously when nobody knows anything about it?" Amusingly, I am getting quite wound up by these remarks, even though it was me who made them.

Wiseman explains this as straightforward pranking. "That's a control thing, isn't it? It's baiting. Other people think you're being genuine, and actually all you're doing is trying to get a reaction out of them. Borat is that gag, written big. 'I'm going to pretend to be one thing, in order to get you to respond in a particular way.' It just happens that previously we often saw it played out with liberal values, and often now it's played out with very illiberal values."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...internet-troll

Blog Entries

I can't speak on behalf of others, but when I used to smoke, (now smoke free since 2008) I for one, wore a lot more sprays of fragrance, because I couldn't smell what I was wearing, and 2, yes frags smelled different. I would say not as fresh mostly. I didn't get top notes as well. Likewise, I couldn't much smell a pie cooking in the oven. Or juicy steaks cooking on the grill on the 4th. They say smoking damages your olfactory nerves, which in turn, diminishes your sense of smell. So there is science backing this, as well as I can attest as a former smoker, that the difference in my sense of smell from when I used to smoke, compared to now is astonishing.

Smoking is not only a bad habit, and bad for your health; but if you love frags, you're missing out on a lot. After not smoking for about 3-4 weeks, my olfactory senses were 50% stronger than they ever were. Scent became more prevalent, and more enjoyable.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    We all perceive the same thing differently - smoker or not.
    Personally I don't see smoking having much if not any influence over preference towards specific scents.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I can't speak on behalf of others, but when I used to smoke, (now smoke free since 2008) I for one, wore a lot more sprays of fragrance, because I couldn't smell what I was wearing, and 2, yes frags smelled different. I would say not as fresh mostly. I didn't get top notes as well. Likewise, I couldn't much smell a pie cooking in the oven. Or juicy steaks cooking on the grill on the 4th. They say smoking damages your olfactory nerves, which in turn, diminishes your sense of smell. So there is science backing this, as well as I can attest as a former smoker, that the difference in my sense of smell from when I used to smoke, compared to now is astonishing.

Smoking is not only a bad habit, and bad for your health; but if you love frags, you're missing out on a lot. After not smoking for about 3-4 weeks, my olfactory senses were 50% stronger than they ever were. Scent became more prevalent, and more enjoyable.
    This makes perfect sense. It's not that all smokers willl share the same tastes, or even that smokers will like tobacco scents more than non-smokers, but rather that anything that regularly irritates your olfactory receptors will have an impact on your sense of smell.

Habitual cocaine use, for example, has the potential to screw with your sense of smell, too.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Don't even know why I'm bothering with this perma-troll, but most nothing is what it seems:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/ne...mell-and-taste

Too many mindless parrots.

I realized the good reviews were from smokers who are used to smelling like an ashtray 24/7.
    Perhaps our profiles should include if one is an idiot or not.
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

SERGEY: Does your smoking hurt your work? A lot of people ask how come some perfumers smoke?

MAURICE ROUCEL
    (igniting another cigarette): No. Smoke is about your nose, but I’ve never seen a nose creating a perfume. Your brain is creating a perfume! (laughing)

Roucel also says he smoked before running marathons and triathlons.

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/WPC-2018-Fragrantica-interviews-Maurice-Roucel-11013.htm

Jacques Polge, Jean-Paul Guerlain, Thierry Wasser, Francis Kurkdjian, many others smoke or have smoked

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Don't even know why I'm bothering with this perma-troll, but most nothing is what it seems:

"I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Interesting idea. If anyone isn't perceptive enough to glean that from a posters comments, it could be clarified in the little box where it states " Super Member " or " basenotes Institution "

Basenotes Plus

The primary purpose of that study was not to determine the effects of smoking on sense of smell. This is the most relevant passage (emphasis added):

"Of note, smoking was not associated with the prevalence of smell impairment in our cross-sectional analysis. Accumulating evidence has suggested that smoking may exert an adverse effect on smell function, although some studies did not observe such a link. In another cross-sectional population-based study, Mullol et al. reported that smoking and exposure to noxious substances were even mild protective factors for smell recognition. These mixed findings may reflect the cross-sectional nature of these studies, as well as the lack of detailed assessments of smoking dose and duration, which are often more informative than dichotomous smoking status. More prospective studies are warranted to elucidate the potential adverse effect of smoking on olfactory function."

Also relevant:

"The eight odorants (chocolate, strawberry, smoke, leather, soap, grape, onion and natural gas) were presented in a fixed order. A participant was required, in a forced-choice situation, to identify each odorant from four alternative names. Smell impairment was defined as not being able to correctly identify six or more of the eight odours, each from a list of four possible responses."

"Of particular importance in establishing prevalence are the criteria used to define dysfunction, which vary considerably among studies. In two studies, being unable to identify 75% of either 4 or 12 odorants was defined as dysfunction. Other studies have set this criterion at 62.5% for either 8 or 16 odorants, and 40% for 5 odorants. Such variations in criteria significantly influence the estimated prevalence and likely explain much of the variation seen among prevalence studies. Our study, like most others, has the limitation of employing a relatively few number of odorants."

Which is to say, the fact that this particular study didn't find a link between smoking and an impaired sense of smell doesn't mean there isn't one. Of course, it's also possible studies that did find such a link were designed or conducted in such a way as to generate false positives. After all, most nothing is what it seems.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I was a smoker years ago and am a non-smoker now.

The only effect smoking had on my sense of smell was that it lessened it, no different than when you sit in a smoky room and cigarette or cigar smoke overrides your ability to smell things as well as normal.

It had zero effect on my ability to perceive certain odors or odor "categories," for lack of a better word.