Code of Conduct

Thread: Chypre-Siam

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Chypre-Siam

This is my favorite recent release, Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery, from 2018. It’s elegantly suave, I find.

The juice in the larger, more recent bottle is darker, and it looks extra awesome, but the smell seems to be the same.

E252BDE6-B822-4E7F-9A72-864928C823C8.jpg

A0D0BA52-5576-42B8-AFE6-2F4BC12C7D56.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Chypre-Siam

I was wondering about the two batches. Thanks for posting this.
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Night and day difference! What's the year difference? Sounds right up my alley.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I was wondering about the two batches. Thanks for posting this.
    It's a bit different. The look is surprisingly different. The lighter-colored juice might be slightly stronger. The darker juice has the same pear-type note I seem to detect. It might develop a little faster. It smells even more natural and rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by gregburris56 View Post
    Night and day difference! What's the year difference? Sounds right up my alley.
    I think the difference can be in how much the moss is filtered. I think the newer version is trying to push itself in an even more natural, mossy, woody direction. The lighter colored juice might have slightly more funk. They're essentially the same in most ways.

Thank you so much for posting this! I had these saved in the site. Will be my next purchase...no doubt! Sound intense! Oakmoss baby! Thank you again! Greg B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

It is indeed a wonderful release. Kinda me of vintage Mitsouko edt minus the peach note.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Rogue Perfumery
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The juice in the larger, more recent bottle is darker, and it looks extra awesome, but the smell seems to be the same.
    I can clear that up :-)
    The formula itself is the same.
    My most recent acquisition of oakmoss absolute is SUPER dark and thick compared to what I had prior. It made a huge difference in the color. A consequence of naturals; although some of the chem providers actually offer "decolorized" oakmoss, I decided to stick with the raw stuff.
    With the older juice (the light colored one) I was using synthetic civet. In the recent (dark) juice I have since switched to pure civet absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I can clear that up :-)
    The formula itself is the same.
    My most recent acquisition of oakmoss absolute is SUPER dark and thick compared to what I had prior. It made a huge difference in the color. A consequence of naturals; although some of the chem providers actually offer "decolorized" oakmoss, I decided to stick with the raw stuff.
    With the older juice (the light colored one) I was using synthetic civet. In the recent (dark) juice I have since switched to pure civet absolute.
    The newer one is maybe just slightly sweeter. Edit - the lighter-colored juice gets just as sweet later. The lighter-colored version is maybe slightly more leathery.

It's so interesting, getting more vintage in the second version. The purists should love it. A solitary drop of the synthetic civet in combination with the natural stuff could be good.

They're both really good. The lighter-colored version seems stronger, but overall, the second version is a slight improvement.
    Last edited by Bavard; 22nd September 2019 at 07:37 PM.

Love this fragrance. Surprised me because I'm not a fan of jasmine but this is done right and I did not mind it.

Basenotes Plus

I also really love this one. With most days getting a bit colder and really autumn like, I find myself reaching for this quite often. This one smells so smooth and well rounded, just like a nice and soft cashmere scarf.

I just dropped and broke an entire sample of Chypre Siam at the future in-laws’ house. Can report that this one still has nuclear projection and longevity. You’re welcome, for the Chypre Siam scented house, future-fam.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I just dropped and broke an entire sample of Chypre Siam at the future in-laws’ house. Can report that this one still has nuclear projection and longevity. You’re welcome, for the Chypre Siam scented house, future-fam.
    I dropped a sample of fougere l'aube in the locker room, best it's smelled ever

Quote Originally Posted by Valier View Post
    I dropped a sample of fougere l'aube in the locker room, best it's smelled ever
    Haha! Yes! I want to try that one. I have & love Mousse Illuminee but this one is closer to my usual interest.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Sound Scents

I must say, having just worn this a full day from a recent sample pack, count me highly impressed.

I originally was interested in Mousse Illuminee due to all the positive rave traffic on the MF discussion forum, with some calling it an "oakmoss king," and the like... Well, it wasn't (more of a tree moss focused composition that I liked, but didn't love and way too similar to the excellent smelling Caesars Man that can be had for $20 a bottle)...

That slight unrelated disappointment aside, *this* one definitely is loaded with the "good stuff." There is lots of glorious oakmoss here (heck, just look at the juice color!), with a lot of high quality plum-laced jasmine too that comes out early-on, and hangs around through the finish with some spiced smooth leather and musk in the base to help ground the composition...

Chypre-Siam turns out to be a pretty much unheard of true chypre in modern IFRA regulation destroyed times that doesn't compromise or comply. I also am impressed by how well-rounded and polished the composition is from top to bottom, not to mention the excellent performance metrics. Great stuff, and one that forced me to open my wallet for a full bottle. Brilliant work, indeed!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    Currently wearing: Walimah by Areej le Doré

Rich, smooth, ripe, warm, balanced, abstract, possibly the best mossy woods chypre in the last thirty years.

Edit: It's also seriously luxurious. Maybe not "the purest emanation of luxury ever captured in a bottle", but it isn't far away.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th October 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Rich, smooth, ripe, warm, balanced, abstract, possibly the best mossy woods chypre in the last thirty years.
    Agree totally. I love this one!

Absolutely agree Mousse I is tree moss and CS is really the fragrance for oak moss lovers.
    Currently wearing: M by Puredistance

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Chypre-Siam turns out to be a pretty much unheard of true chypre in modern IFRA regulation destroyed times that doesn't compromise or comply. I also am impressed by how well-rounded and polished the composition is from top to bottom, not to mention the excellent performance metrics. Great stuff, and one that forced me to open my wallet for a full bottle. Brilliant work, indeed!
    Chypre-Siam is a well made chypre scent. Hopefully some of the other scents from Rogue will appeal to you as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Yep. It is better fragrance IMO or at least as good as Mousse Illuminée. Manuel also has a new chypre coming out soon and an attar version of Chypre Siam, very excited about these. I actually think that it would work better as an attar.