Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Leather Oud discontinued

I’ve heard mentions of this, but dior finally confirmed it for me in an email. Sad, I think it was one of, if not the best of the line.

Following your recent email, we are sorry to learn of your disappointment at not finding the original Leather Oud name at our points of sale.

We regret to inform you that product name has been discontinued worldwide and our stocks are now completely exhausted.

You might still be able to find your favourite fragrance at some of our distributors. Nevertheless, we regret to inform you that we find ourselves in the impossibility of directing you to any one in particular, not having any direct visibility of their stocks.

We thank you for choosing Christian Dior Parfums, and apologize for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Sincerely,

Default Re: Dior Leather Oud discontinued

Another one bites the dust.

At least my preferred Leather Oud, Floris Leather Oud, is still alive.

Basenotes Plus

This is sad news. I am glad I purchased a bottle when I did. Luckily, I will probably never use enough of this to run out in this lifetime.

Cant imagine it being a huge seller or fan of the crowds lol
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Sad to see, indeed. Leather Oud is a masterpiece, and one of my very favorites.

MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I noticed that too, but I wonder if it would let you complete the sale. Or maybe the dior rep meant no more are being made and what is left is the last of the stocks.

It will let you complete the sale, items are are out of stock on the site have no buy button. My guess is that this is a standard response from a rep...they're probably phasing it out for the new crap that's at the Dior counters these days...stores won't get re-stocked, they'll just sell the rest online.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    I noticed that too, but I wonder if it would let you complete the sale. Or maybe the dior rep meant no more are being made and what is left is the last of the stocks.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Glad I own a full bottle of this fantastic scent

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    Correct, discontinued doesn't mean out of stock. I know they still have these in some Paris stores as well. But once those are out, they will not be restocked. Get 'em while you can, I would say.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

It's still only going to be Leather Oud (2018), not as it was originally. I imagine low sales already literally tanked as soon as they sent out this newer version.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I guess it's just not an odor that many people want sticking to them. I am surprised that it wouldn't have large enough cult following to keep it going however.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Product name has been discontinued. Product name was my favorite Dior scent
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Very challenging fragrance for most people, I came to dislike it and sold my bottle.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

The only Dior Privee worth owning
    #wackpack

Not a big fan but I'm guessing this is one that grows on you? Definitely a challenging fragrance
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Product name has been discontinued. Product name was my favorite Dior scent
    Haha it really is a horrible automated response.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Very challenging fragrance for most people, I came to dislike it and sold my bottle.
    The problem for me was that it ended up not being that challenging. The opening moments are the best, and from there it's all downhill to this sweet, piercing scent. That 48 hour+ dry down of synthetic oud is also a big issue if you ever want to wear anything other than it or Oud Isaphan,.

a polarizing frag
    +
    steep price tag
    +
    a reform that didn't quite pack the same punch
    =
    a bad combination

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Glad I have a full 250ml bottle.
    Last edited by hednic; 2nd October 2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I always preferred Oud ispahan over it . It is a very challenging Fragrance indeed and usually one spray lasts forever . I cannot see anybody finishing their 125 ml bottle.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Back to Black , by Kilian
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I love it, one of the best ever from Dior (or anyone)!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I found it to be very challenging as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I liked it, but found it to be somewhat challenging.
    I haven't sampled more recent bottles where the challenging elements had allegedly been reduced. I'm glad I worked my way through a sample, and found it fascinating, but in the end I found I far preferred Songe de un Bois d'Ete (now Bois Mysterieux) which I find to be quite similar. Less challenging (slightly animalic, but more cumin than anything really barnyardy) and a bit more sophisticated (to my nose at least).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

glad this was backed up in 2014...

I have a miniature that will last me for ten thousand years.

-
    That's unfortunate. Dior boutiques were often embalmed with Leather Oud.

Soft, velvety, wrapped in tender powdery woods, sweet balsamic notes with honeyed beeswax elements, soft white flowers, delicate caramel amber with just the right dose of pungency, so characteristic of classic leather perfumes. Smells like the Kingdom of Cambodia in the early 60's.

Contrary to the beastly reputation, it's basically just a musky dry woods/woody oriental with intensely aromatic cardamom. It seems to have gotten sweeter over the years. People I know love the stuff. People everywhere I go love it. Gets those big enthusiastic comments about how good it smells. If not for the powerful radiance of the thing it could almost be the epitome of civility.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th September 2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I liked it, but found it to be somewhat challenging.
    I haven't sampled more recent bottles where the challenging elements had allegedly been reduced. I'm glad I worked my way through a sample, and found it fascinating, but in the end I found I far preferred Songe de un Bois d'Ete (now Bois Mysterieux) which I find to be quite similar. Less challenging (slightly animalic, but more cumin than anything really barnyardy) and a bit more sophisticated (to my nose at least).
    Agree with this, which reminds me, need to move up Bois Mysterieux further up my list.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Soft, velvety, wrapped in tender powdery woods, sweet balsamic notes with honeyed beeswax elements, soft white flowers, delicate caramel amber with just the right dose of pungency, so characteristic of classic leather perfumes. Smells like the Kingdom of Cambodia in the early 60's.

Contrary to the beastly reputation, it's basically just a musky dry woods/woody oriental with intensely aromatic cardamom. It seems to have gotten sweeter over the years. People I know love the stuff. People everywhere I go love it. Gets those big enthusiastic comments about how good it smells. If not for the powerful radiance of the thing it could almost be the epitome of civility.
    Yep, this is accurate, in my experience. The "naughty" element is the civet-honey base which is only noticeable sniffed up close, or at least only takes on a dirty quality when really close, and even then the association with urine or naughtiness isn't as strong for me as it used to be. But from any reasonable distance, even a few feet away, Leather Oud comes across as spicy, woodsy, and glowingly warm. Very debonaire, honestly, with the warm animalics creating a sophisticated "come hither" effect; certainly prurient intent, but in a three-piece suit.

Whenever I ask friends and coworkers what they think of this one, I get comments ranging from positive to very positive. I think this one's a case of the hobbyist community's "hive mind" predisposing people to interpret it as "omg super stinky wtf" rather than taking a few deep breaths, calming down, and considering it on its own terms.

If you think it was discontinued because it was "omg so crazy challenging," ask yourself why it outlasted Mitzah, Cologne Royale, Eau Noire, Vetiver, etc. etc. I suspect it sold enough to keep it in the collection for a good while given how soon others were axed, but if it's being deleted now, that likely has more to do with the whole line being reshaped into approachable mostly-floral scents for a different market.

Although I always found it to be interesting it is not a huge loss for me.