Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Beta Male Scents

Just tried Azzaro Chrome this evening and I figured I'd share my thoughts. It's pathetic. I imagine it says of the wearer, "I wear a cologne because I want to show everyone that I'm an adult and I can freshen up. I don't want to offend anyone." Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice complex "freshies" like Terre d'Hermes, Guerlain Vetiver, and Creed GIT, etc. People who only wear these types of boring freshies (think Acqua di Gio and Dylan Blue, etc.): You lack taste and individuality. You're probably a beta male.

I'm sure this will offend some.

Please discuss.

Default Re: Beta Male Scents

Wow man thats pretty harsh lol.

Not that I wear it very often, but I own Chrome and I'm pretty solidly in the alpha category. Additionally, I have plenty of taste and individuality. So go F yourself

(before anybody gets their panties all wadded up, Mr Prince and I are friends and my response is in light of that fact)
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Wow man thats pretty harsh lol.

Not that I wear it very often, but I own Chrome and I'm pretty solidly in the alpha category. Additionally, I have plenty of taste and individuality. So go F yourself
    Fair enough!

Anyone else?

a quarter million, tops

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Fair enough!

Anyone else?
    No. As a fan of the AdG scent profile though I don't like being lumped in with Chrome. Though, I could live my life without either happily.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

What if you wear stuff like Dylan Blue and also "alpha" frags, and even huge animalic bombs like vintage One Man Show? What if you wear all these and also various women's perfumes too? What does the man who wears Avon, Aventus, Kouros, Chrome, Leather Oud, and Chanel No 5 say to you?

He says "wear whatever makes you happy," because he's me.
    oh look, I have a signature

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    What if you wear stuff like Dylan Blue and also "alpha" frags, and even huge animalic bombs like vintage One Man Show? What if you wear all these and also various women's perfumes too? What does the man who wears Avon, Aventus, Kouros, Chrome, Leather Oud, and Chanel No 5 say to you?

He says "wear whatever makes you happy," because he's me.
    A very respectable response.

Basenotes Plus

First, I think the whole alpha/beta dichotomy is, at best, silly.

Second, the desire not to offend is not necessarily pathetic, unless it's pathologically self-effacing. We're social animals. We may have to risk giving offense to be true to ourselves, but a complete lack of concern about what others think—or an actual penchant for offending—is often representative of a different sort of pathology, and no less pathetic than the self-effacing one. (Besides, if we're going to that place, nothing is less alpha than trying too hard to be alpha.)

Third, we should probably not read too much into someone's choice of fragrance, especially as our olfactory perceptions and analyses are filtered through a host of subjective biases.

Chrome is not my sort of thing. But, I could easily see someone jumping to all sorts of erroneous conclusions about me based on, say, Azzaro pour Homme: the amount of hair on my chest, for example, or my feelings about wearing gold chains.

If a fragrance bores you, fine: say it bores you. Your favorite fragrance undoubtedly bores other people. Consider whether they would be justified in pronouncing you lacking in taste and individuality on that basis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

Second, the desire not to offend is not necessarily pathetic, unless it's pathologically self-effacing. We're social animals. We may have to risk giving offense to be true to ourselves, but a complete lack of concern about what others think—or an actual penchant for offending—is often representative of a different sort of pathology, and no less pathetic than the self-effacing one. (Besides, if we're going to that place, nothing is less alpha than trying too hard to be alpha.)

Third, we should probably not read too much into someone's choice of fragrance, especially as our olfactory perceptions and analyses are filtered through a host of subjective biases.

Chrome is not my sort of thing. But, I could easily see someone jumping to all sorts of erroneous conclusions about me based on, say, Azzaro pour Homme: the amount of hair on my chest, for example, or my feelings about wearing gold chains.

If a fragrance bores you, fine: say it bores you. Your favorite fragrance undoubtedly bores other people. Consider whether they would be justified in pronouncing you lacking in taste and individuality on that basis.
    A thoughtful response as well.

Ha, quite the OP.

I'm more omega man, so I'm not fussed.
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Blog Entries

Alpha males just wear whatever fragrance their beautiful girlfriend/wife buys them
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Ha, quite the OP.

I'm more omega man, so I'm not fussed.
    Be mindful of the creatures that come out at night.
    oh look, I have a signature

From a Sigma male: there will be a moment that I decide to only collect and wear patchouli dominated scents

Only a beta would feel compelled to impress upon everyone his alpha status in, of all things, an online forum on perfumes .

As a regular wearer of scents like Kouros, Antaeus, Azzaro ph, Paco R. ph, Fahrenheit etc. (all in vtg formulation) I also do like Chrome a lot!
    To me it is a perfect 'to go' no nonsense freshie when it's really hot.......no more, no less.......alpha, beta, omega or sigma I don't care about
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

I'm not really familiar with the term "Toxic Masculinity" but I'd imagine if someone was to limit themselves purely to a certain category of perfumery out of a fear that anything else would render them feminine (not as a matter of taste), then that would suggest a peculiar insecurity. Nothing wrong with a little white flower power hon FWIW if it's a compliment based insecurity then I've been complimented by women when wearing very indolic white florals (I'm not a compliments based guy and I don't swing towards females but still). I'd say certain fragrances might come across as more "boyish/youthful" but not necessarily "beta", wear whatever you want to wear, never limit yourself without exploring your taste or you will be missing out big time.

Personally, I wear fragrances that I like. It doesn’t matter if they are strong, weak, sweet, bitter or dull. If I like it, I wear it.

Real men wear Shalimar anyway, irrespective of their place in the alphabet
    Currently wearing: Ambre Loup by Rania J

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

You just tried Chrome, a bargain bin scent from 23 years ago, and wrote a nonsense post that reads like the definition of toxic masculinity. I'd be embarrassed if I posted something like that.

Oof.

Acqua Di Gio gets flak because it was worn by so many for so long, but it's been an international best seller for decades because it was that good. Men love it. Women love it. It's been a massive hit for a reason. Quite frankly, it was probably one of the best masculine scents of the last century. Top 25, easily.

The idea that fresh = bad shows your lack of knowledge and taste.

But your goal was to troll, so, mission accomplished.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Chrome is all right, but for me, I find it somewhat tiresome.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Personally, I wear fragrances that I like. It doesn’t matter if they are strong, weak, sweet, bitter or dull. If I like it, I wear it.
    True enough.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Just tried Azzaro Chrome
    This fragrance is excellent, ladies reactions very good. They recently send me to the playboy gentleman's retreat which was very awesome, they are first company to send me anywhere, guys very big deal. In fact, every time I smell the original it bring back memories of being on a boat and on vacation the fist time they send me somewhere, this fragrance journey has bring me so far, guys and you guys with the support are so much good for me right now, we block out the haters, peace guys

Basenotes Plus

Real men wear cologne. Not perfume. Ack. Cough. Smirk.

Just tried Azzaro Chrome this evening and I figured I'd share my thoughts. It's pathetic. I imagine it says of the wearer, "I wear a cologne because I want to show everyone that I'm an adult and I can freshen up. I don't want to offend anyone." Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice complex "freshies" like Terre d'Hermes, Guerlain Vetiver, and Creed GIT, etc. People who only wear these types of boring freshies (think Acqua di Gio and Dylan Blue, etc.): You lack taste and individuality. You're probably a beta male.

Please discuss.
    Are you filling in now for cutsmut?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

Real men don’t take offence easily. Nor do they make it a point to offend others. Boys, on the other hand...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Not just silly, but regressive.

This framework has been used to uphold a false ideal of masculinity and ostracize folks who don't conform.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

I hate Chrome also. That's about the only part of OPs post I agree with.

I generally never thought that a true alpha male would spend time on a fragrance discussion board telling others they are a true alpha male, but thank goodness for troll posts -- it sparks some good debate and conversation... well... until a few more people get banned... then will be back to business as usual talking about reformulations and how nothing today lasts more than 10 min, etc...
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

GIT is beta dressed up as alpha

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Please discuss.
    I enjoy satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Are you filling in now for cutsmut?
    Hope not or he might get banned too

Not sure if serious...? To all the insecure men out there: relax! Get that pink cocktail you’ve always wanted; watch Little Women if you feel like it. Rock that Acqua di Giò. (It smells great!) Talk with your friends about how you really feel. It’s almost 2020 and virtually no one below 50 gives a crap about stuff like alphas, betas, and macho men anymore.