Code of Conduct
o

Default Oscar de la Renta older versions

From what I glean ( ok ok its online 'research' !)
    That the tall bottles of both Oscar for Men and Pour Lui are older iterations?
    Anyone know when these were made or can be classified as vintage.

I've just picked up a tall bottle of Oscar for Men, made in France which I gather again is an older version ( is it necessarily better?)
    Thanking you
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Oscar de la Renta older versions

I can't speak to which version of Oscar for Men/Pour Lui (same thing, different name) is best, but if you want the oldest versions, manufacture in France by Parfums Stern isn't enough of a clue. Stern still exists. It was independent at the launch of Pour Lui in 1981, then passed through Avon, Sanofi, YSL, PPR/Kering, and L'Oréal. De la Renta reacquired the licenses for his fragrances in 2009, but I think until then all De la Renta frags were made in France by Stern.

Look for the usual indications on boxes: short ingredients list, no barcodes. Early boxes were silver, with the Oscar signature logo inside an oblong oval, closer to the top than the bottom. Early bottles had the signature in a similarly placed oval or a square. Later bottles have "Pour Lui" higher up and the Oscar logo at the bottom.

Here's some very early Pour Lui:

s-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

Tall bottles existed after that, so shape is also not enough to go on.

I don't know exactly when or how many times it was reformulated, but I gather the current version is discernibly different from the pre-IFRA juice.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I can't speak to which version of Oscar for Men/Pour Lui (same thing, different name) is best, but if you want the oldest versions, manufacture in France by Parfums Stern isn't enough of a clue. Stern still exists. It was independent at the launch of Pour Lui in 1981, then passed through Avon, Sanofi, YSL, PPR/Kering, and L'Oréal. De la Renta reacquired the licenses for his fragrances in 2009, but I think until then all De la Renta frags were made in France by Stern.

Look for the usual indications on boxes: short ingredients list, no barcodes. Early boxes were silver, with the Oscar signature logo inside an oblong oval, closer to the top than the bottom. Early bottles had the signature in a similarly placed oval or a square. Later bottles have "Pour Lui" higher up and the Oscar logo at the bottom.

Here's some very early Pour Lui:

s-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

Tall bottles existed after that, so shape is also not enough to go on.

I don't know exactly when or how many times it was reformulated, but I gather the current version is discernibly different from the pre-IFRA juice.
    Good show. I'll add that current sprayers look like original 1981 splashes in design, size, labelling. Current has evernyl and no real moss, so it's flatter and a bit soapier, but still very excellent. 2002-2010 is sharper due to treemoss adulteration, while 2001 and back is the sweet spot. Safest to go with tall bottles because they weren't made past 2001, or the oval logo bottles (2nd vintage) if you insist on 80's juice. Difference is more buttery moss, but the top and heart are nearly identical across all versions (even current).

Basically the real "mossheads" who are huge fans of the note are the only ones who are going to be really wanting pre-2001 juice since the scent was otherwise maintained well over the years. Also, there may be some additional maceration of very old batches that affects the citrus and floral components more. I'd have to revist my reference samples to confirm. If you want deep vintage, look for a bottle that is identical to current with no sprayer. Only tall bottles in 81 had a sprayer.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

I've had a few of these for a long time. Good juice.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.

https://soundcloud.com/user-614798616
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'll add that current sprayers look like original 1981 splashes in design, size, labelling. Current has evernyl and no real moss, so it's flatter and a bit soapier, but still very excellent. 2002-2010 is sharper due to treemoss adulteration, while 2001 and back is the sweet spot. Safest to go with tall bottles because they weren't made past 2001, or the oval logo bottles (2nd vintage) if you insist on 80's juice. Difference is more buttery moss, but the top and heart are nearly identical across all versions (even current).

Basically the real "mossheads" who are huge fans of the note are the only ones who are going to be really wanting pre-2001 juice since the scent was otherwise maintained well over the years. Also, there may be some additional maceration of very old batches that affects the citrus and floral components more. I'd have to revist my reference samples to confirm. If you want deep vintage, look for a bottle that is identical to current with no sprayer. Only tall bottles in 81 had a sprayer.
    Good to know. FWIW, mine is a short sprayer with an oval logo, so 2nd vintage, which I gather is not especially different from 1st. (I'm not by my bottles, but I suspect it's Sanofi rather than Avon.) Buttery moss: mmmmm…

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Good to know. FWIW, mine is a short sprayer with an oval logo, so 2nd vintage, which I gather is not especially different from 1st. (I'm not by my bottles, but I suspect it's Sanofi rather than Avon.) Buttery moss: mmmmm…
    The oval logo was very shortly introduced after launch so they're virtually the same from launch juice. All this talk is making me want to wear mine.

Basenotes Plus

All this talk is making me want to wear mine.
    Sync tomorrow?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Sync tomorrow?
    I'm tempted....

Cheers folks - appreciate the info

I've only experienced ( and what an experience it is!) a few bottles new Pour Lui - USA made, and a few with no markings or stickers ( I think from a overstock/batchof testers somewhere). The proper/vintages comeup quite often on the auction bay so will have a go at one of them soon. I already love Pour Lui - I reckon my mind will be blown!

Images to follow of the Oscar for Men I picked up. Made in France and already I can smell its a lot smoother than the USA made version. Totally bypassed the shrill blast of opening in the latter version. Its another one I can't work out why that I like it - just got soemthing about it.

20191004_210608.jpg
    20191004_210608.jpg
    I 20191004_210529.jpg
    I notice the cap is more gold in colour than the USA made one.
    Oh its blasted good !

Ps. I'm up for some Pour Lui action tomorrow!!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've never smelled Oscar. Maybe I should.

Sure thing!
    I've had a soft spot for it since forever, one of the first frags I smelled proper like 2 decades ago.
    Citrus pepper , woodsy floral musky.
    Don't think I've really figured it out still!
    On smelling the France version today struck me as like a fleshed out Blenheim Bouquet. Sheer, yet powerful.
    Go gerrit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Cheers folks - appreciate the info

I've only experienced ( and what an experience it is!) a few bottles new Pour Lui - USA made, and a few with no markings or stickers ( I think from a overstock/batchof testers somewhere). The proper/vintages comeup quite often on the auction bay so will have a go at one of them soon. I already love Pour Lui - I reckon my mind will be blown!

Images to follow of the Oscar for Men I picked up. Made in France and already I can smell its a lot smoother than the USA made version. Totally bypassed the shrill blast of opening in the latter version. Its another one I can't work out why that I like it - just got soemthing about it.
    I think you'd like the vintage version. Your mind won't be blown, but you'll find it a very smooth version without the screechiness of some of the later renditions. It's also not a loud scent in spite of it being substantial.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    I think you'd like the vintage version. Your mind won't be blown, but you'll find it a very smooth version without the screechiness of some of the later renditions. It's also not a loud scent in spite of it being substantial.
    Perhaps my favorite part of Pour Lui in any format new or old is how mannered it is despite having many "powerhouse" elements like leather, oakmoss, and heavier florals. This stuff is just a timeless proper dandy scent and Iseem to love wearing OdlR Pour Lui most in the Seattle rain.

Perhaps my favorite part of Pour Lui in any format new or old is how mannered it is despite having many "powerhouse" elements like leather, oakmoss, and heavier florals. This stuff is just a timeless proper dandy scent and Iseem to love wearing OdlR Pour Lui most in the Seattle rain.
    Uncanny I feel much the same about it AND it's my go to for rain n gloomy weathers!

I agree. It's a "fat" scent without being obnoxious.

It's a good one. Citrusy herbal type fragrance. I like it. Not sure when it was released.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

OPL.jpg
    My SOTD. Sanofi era: 1987–1989. Lovely stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    It's a good one. Citrusy herbal type fragrance. I like it. Not sure when it was released.

It's the Parfums Stern release.

OPL.jpg
    My SOTD. Sanofi era: 1987–1989. Lovely stuff.
    This is my Parfums Stern bottle. When was this released? I think it was before the oval around Pour Lui. Notice Oscar de la Renta is at the bottom.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    This is my Parfums Stern bottle. When was this released? I think it was before the oval around Pour Lui. Notice Oscar de la Renta is at the bottom.
    No, that’s later than the oval. I’m not sure exactly when that bottle design was introduced, but I’m pretty sure it was in the 1990s, and I don’t know that they changed it again; at least, not until De la Renta finally separated from Stern after it became part of L’Oréal.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

No, that’s later than the oval. I’m not sure exactly when that bottle design was introduced, but I’m pretty sure it was in the 1990s, and I don’t know that they changed it again; at least, not until De la Renta finally separated from Stern after it became part of L’Oréal.
    The oval was the second edition though. Early bottles looked just like the modern ones do but without a sprayer. What gives this away as after the oval is the font of "Pour Lui"

Basenotes Plus

The oval was the second edition though. Early bottles looked just like the modern ones do but without a sprayer. What gives this away as after the oval is the font of "Pour Lui"
    Well, sure, but by "bottle design," I mean the lettering and layout as well as the shape of the container. At some point in the last decade, De la Renta changed the bottle color from dark green to cobalt blue. But, to the best of my knowledge, once the oval logo was abandoned, the bottle remained unaltered throughout the Parfums Stern years, which means the one allkindsofwatches1 has could as easily be from 2008 as from 1992.