Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Thoughts on vintage Poison?

What are you thoughts on it?

Best years, etc.?

It has a reputation as a powerhouse of old.

I’ve looked at some old threads. Just ordered a bottle probably around 1995. It’s quite easily available on eBay for a reasonable price.

Thank you for your thoughts.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on vintage Poison?

It's a dark heady animalic oriental chypre in the same train of thought as old Estée Lauder Youth Dew (1953) but with less skank, more florals, and rounder.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

This is a reference 1980s big shouldered perfume, supposed to be smelled from blocks away. Sweet tuberose on steroids.

Basenotes Plus

It intrigues me.

Hi thrilledchilled,

this is the answer I gave to Bavard in the thread about Vintage Dior in this same board:

Hi, Bavard.
    Please read this as a mere personal point of view. I find Poison less loud than commonly believed. It has presence, but I find it's a balanced presence. Perhaps it depends from the amount of fragrance applied and probably those who have been almost suffocated by Poison during the 80s were actually the victim of some oversprayer. I have vivid memories of it and I don't remember it was the olfactive weapon many say it is.
    I usually apply two sprays and when I do that, I enjoy it through the day, until the base notes where I smell the musk and especially the incense. Before this phase, Poison displays spicy dark fruits notes, not sweet to me, over a backdrop of dense white florals (jasmine, tuberose). It has fruity facets, but it's not foody. Poison is thick and dark but in the meantime it manages to show some tinted shiny transparency, gleaming reflection. I don't find it vampy or vampiresque at all. To me, it does not conjures images of dangerous purple dressed film noir femme fatales. In some way, I find it austere, almost ascetic, serene and comforting, gothic indeed but like sitting on the bench in a dark gothic cathedral, the daylight filtered by the mixed colours of stained glass rose windows.

I add that the eau de toilette is slightly different from the parfum de toilette, the latter being more on the sweet side. I own two edt bottle, one is an atomiser that I suppose being from 1985 and the other a spray from the early 90s. I can't tell the difference between them. I have two pdt as well from the late 80s early 90s, like the edt I can't detect any difference between the two bottles.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    Hi thrilledchilled,

this is the answer I gave to Bavard in the thread about Vintage Dior in this same board:

Hi, Bavard.
    Please read this as a mere personal point of view. I find Poison less loud than commonly believed. It has presence, but I find it's a balanced presence. Perhaps it depends from the amount of fragrance applied and probably those who have been almost suffocated by Poison during the 80s were actually the victim of some oversprayer. I have vivid memories of it and I don't remember it was the olfactive weapon many say it is.
    I usually apply two sprays and when I do that, I enjoy it through the day, until the base notes where I smell the musk and especially the incense. Before this phase, Poison displays spicy dark fruits notes, not sweet to me, over a backdrop of dense white florals (jasmine, tuberose). It has fruity facets, but it's not foody. Poison is thick and dark but in the meantime it manages to show some tinted shiny transparency, gleaming reflection. I don't find it vampy or vampiresque at all. To me, it does not conjures images of dangerous purple dressed film noir femme fatales. In some way, I find it austere, almost ascetic, serene and comforting, gothic indeed but like sitting on the bench in a dark gothic cathedral, the daylight filtered by the mixed colours of stained glass rose windows.

I add that the eau de toilette is slightly different from the parfum de toilette, the latter being more on the sweet side. I own two edt bottle, one is an atomiser that I suppose being from 1985 and the other a spray from the early 90s. I can't tell the difference between them. I have two pdt as well from the late 80s early 90s, like the edt I can't detect any difference between the two bottles.
    Agree completely with this. I would say that the years between 1985 (its introduction) and 1995 were the best. Even today, its bones are still there, though longevity has been affected. You should do fine with a 1995 bottle.

Basenotes Plus

I'm excited about getting a vintage bottle on the way to me. Thank you

Seems like some of the flankers in the early days got a lot of love too, such as Tendre.

Basenotes Plus

For me, vintage Poison EDP from the 1980's = party in a bottle.

I wore it in my youth, and there was no better perfume to wear in the smoky, skanky nighttime settings of yore. Clearly, I see vintage Poison a little differently than Gilturko, but the sandalwood, cedar, and myrrh incense in the base are undoubtedly very beautiful (and quite enjoyable the morning after, when ascetism, piety, and the dire need for study in gothic libraries returned).

Curious to hear what you think of vintage Poison when you have it, thrilledchilled.

Sound Scents

The vintage stuff is incredible smelling. A true honeyed, plum-laced jasmine and tuberose powerhouse to the extreme. One of the absolute best perfume creations of the 80s (and that is saying something).
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    Currently wearing: Tzora by Anat Fritz

Familiar with the 80s and 90s version of this based on scent/formulation but unfortunately not so much other distinctive signs like barcode if available/pre-barcode release, bottle shape etc. must say to have been pleased and even impressed with each, so 1995 or any 90s bottle is likely a safe bet particularly at a good price.

Apart from undeniably important price, authenticity, reliability technicalities, enjoyed this actual powerhouse scent and its statement making notes very much.
    Undoubtedly strong but never perceived its strength as obnoxious nor as unpleasantly, disturbingly animalic.
    Just strong enough in its floral and spicy notes to allow for a lasting, fairly unique impression but never pushing into heaviness, nor ever becoming cloying or imbalanced.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

This is one of my eldest daughter's all time favorites.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.