Code of Conduct
o

Default Washing a syringe after decanting?

Just bought a syringe for measuring perfume oils.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Pack-Liqu...dp/B01MCT1HZT/

Are there any good procedures to wash the syringe so that I do not contaminate other oils I subsequently dip it into?

Thank you.

Default Re: Washing a syringe after decanting?

I use 91% rubbing alcohol on all my decanting gear (pipettes, measuring cups, funnels) after use - no trace of smell afterwards. Never tried on a syringe, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Just pull a few rounds through the syringe ASAP after use, and then let it dry.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol on all my decanting gear (pipettes, measuring cups, funnels) after use - no trace of smell afterwards. Never tried on a syringe, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Just pull a few rounds through the syringe ASAP after use, and then let it dry.
    May I know where you get your 91% rubbing alcohol from? Amazon?

Also, what do you mean by "rubbing alcohol" on it?

Thanks.

Isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol, available at any drugstore or grocery in 91% concentration. It's cheap. Then you just wash the equipment with the alcohol, making sure to draw it through the syringe several times.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th October 2019 at 10:16 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Alcohol, some use vinegar as well to kill the smell.
    I found some old glass syringes, they don't absorb smells like the plastic ones. BUT I managed to break one :-D It wasn't fun.

Basenotes Plus

Default Washing a syringe after decanting?

I use an industrial glass pipette which has all the measurements I need down the side. I use alcohol, water, or a mixture of the two. Depends on exactly what Im working with. Some fragrances or fragrant oils require a bit of a soak.

Regards

EDIT: I should mention that NCFR below makes a great point and in some cases I do that but in the form of disposable pipettes. Im not a perfumer to where using disposable stuff would/could get expensive, nor do I have any business with fragrances or oils. But, there are some fragrance and essential oils that are very viscous in pure form and are very difficult to clean - like vetiver. I only do small batch blends and when I work with thick materials its just easier, in my situation, to use something disposable. Otherwise light materials tend to cleanup very easily.
    Last edited by Diddy; 11th October 2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Freed from BN Institution

IMO, the best thing to do would be to have unique syringe needles/droppers for different perfume oils.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I use single use disposable syringes /needles. Yeah, I know - plastics. I just don’t find it worthwhile to overthink a hobby.
    ...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty. - Robin Sharma

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I use single use disposable syringes /needles. Yeah, I know - plastics. I just don’t find it worthwhile to overthink a hobby.
    Smart.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If I'm in a hurry, I simply draw up hot water and expel a few times. After that I disassemble the plunger, tip and syringe and allow to air dry.
    If I'm picky about cross contamination I'll draw and expel perfumers alcohol a few times in one container. Then I'll repeat in fresh PA another few times.
    I then disassemble everything and allow to air dry.

I am going to look into the glass syringe version.