Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Best leather fragrance?

Rihanah Musky Oud is a real cheapie, that really smells like expensive leather with hints of blue berries in the background. I even prefer this over my Tuscan leather!! And not to mention the bottle is very nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't have many leather fragrances to choose from, but for me:

Dirty - Tauer's Lonestar Memories
    Clean - Memo Paris's Eau de Memo

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I think you're probably an okay guy, but I can never trust anyone's opinion who puts not one but two Rojas as a top of the list fragrance lol.
    Why would that be? Both of the suggestions are excellent fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Godolphin has poor performance?! One of my problems with Godolphin is how cloying it is (even with PdM sprayers being one of the stingiest around!) it's also so sticky and longlasting that it outlasts my bath to bath routine.
    I ran over to parfumo's website to see how others rated it and was surprised of the high marks it got for longevity. It's like a 4 hour scent on my skin. Granted, it's a 2ml atomizer.

Best leather fragrance........to my nose..

Cuir d'Ange

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the help, all.... my shopping list looks like this:

Suede short list:
    Hermèssence Cuir d'Ange
    Bottega Veneta pour femme
    TF White Suede

Leather short list:
    Mugler Les Exceptions Cuir Impertinent
    Memo Oriental Leather
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    Dirty - Tauer's Lonestar Memories
    God I love that stuff
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Rick58 & Beth62 View Post
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    That's a good one to consider, I enjoyed the vintage formulation of CDR.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Rick58 & Beth62 View Post
    Which of these would you recommend if you were buying to share with a woman?
    Russian Leather by Memo
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Straight up leather: Tuscan Leather
    Leather with a lot going on: African Leather
    Currently wearing: Hard Leather by LM Parfums

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Right now none. I have yet to smell a leather fragrance that I like. I haven’t smelled a ton but the 3-4 I have smelled weren’t good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed
    My updated top ten, in no particular order:
    Bentley Intense
    Cosmair Polo Green
    Green Irish Tweed
    Calvin(original blue)
    L'Occitane Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb/Lomani Body and Soul(tie)
    Hanae Mori HiM EDP
    Pure Havane
    Dunhill Icon
    Halston Man Amber

I have always wanted a fragrance that smells like a brand-new leather jacket, but any so-called leather fragrance I have ever smelled does nothing to replicate that. Nor do they smell anything like the leather interior of a brand new car.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a scent that would really work for what I'd like?
    My updated top ten, in no particular order:
    Bentley Intense
    Cosmair Polo Green
    Green Irish Tweed
    Calvin(original blue)
    L'Occitane Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb/Lomani Body and Soul(tie)
    Hanae Mori HiM EDP
    Pure Havane
    Dunhill Icon
    Halston Man Amber

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Is there a scent that would really work for what I'd like?
    I'm sure it exists somewhere. Which ones have you tried?

I have always wanted a fragrance that smells like a brand-new leather jacket, but any so-called leather fragrance I have ever smelled does nothing to replicate that. Nor do they smell anything like the leather interior of a brand new car.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a scent that would really work for what I'd like?
    The scent you're referring to isn't actually leather, it's mostly the chemicals used to preserve it and take away leather's natural smell, or the aldehydic smoky scent of leatherette. The clean genuine leather of a jacket or car seat has a tender creamy (sandalwood or musky) smoky scent. Rough leather smells different, much smokier, dirtier and even piss-like with a pinch of metallics/blood!

Depending on which type side of that processed leather you like, one of these:
    Rien (leatherette and chemical maintenance products)
    Puredistance M (leather and natural smelling products)
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Russian Leather by Memo
    Great minds, Hednic!

I bought Russian Leather a few weeks back - stunning, wonderfully cold. I love the fragrance, but it develops much better on Rick than on me - that's code for "It smells great on him, not so much on me." Hence, the hunt began for more leathers and suedes to share!
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

I'm not in the industry so I may be completely wrong, but being that we're in the age of niche that creates anything and everything that can be thought up of, and yet we still don't have Eau d'Schott I don't think it can be done in a wearable way. I'd guess the interplay of the actual animal skin and aroma chemicals creates a unique effect that can't be replicated in a bottle of alcohol. From my personal experience while Tuscan Leather isn't the smell of a new jacket, it is the closest thing to that with obvious additions.

Back in the past the process of creating leather made it stink, and this they added flower paste and herbs to counteract that. In the modern age leather is processed in a way to not need that, thus all the smells are just aroma chemicals depending on what the market likes. America likes a strong leather smell that lasts a long time, but the Japanese for instance want it to not have a smell at all. The markets are different and since you can play around with it easily now they do.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    From my personal experience while Tuscan Leather isn't the smell of a new jacket, it is the closest thing to that with obvious additions.
    Tuscan Leather gives me the vibe of brand new luxury leather goods, or the leather interior of an expensive automobile. I can't say that it smells exactly like it, but that's the vibe I get. Of course, YMMV.

So many great suggestions, I could easily second some twenty, but rather just add two that I haven't seen mentioned.

Eau d'Hermes is one of the absolute greatest fragrances I have ever smelled. I don't like the current, but the copper cap version is still easy and relatively cheap to obtain. Older is still better but pretty difficult to trace.

Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne is a great smoky and tarry leather. I actually find it to be quite easy to wear.

Moschino PH is my favorite. Puredistance M is another superb one.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    So many great suggestions, I could easily second some twenty, but rather just add two that I haven't seen mentioned.

Eau d'Hermes is one of the absolute greatest fragrances I have ever smelled. I don't like the current, but the copper cap version is still easy and relatively cheap to obtain. Older is still better but pretty difficult to trace.

Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne is a great smoky and tarry leather. I actually find it to be quite easy to wear.
    I'm not trying to be confrontational Johnny where exactly is it you think you can find the copper cap Eau d'Hermes for cheap or at all honestly? You can hardly find Eau d'Hermes black cap at the cheap prices anymore with it being discontinued, and I don't see copper cap anywhere anymore.

I don't really find Eau d'Hermes to be a leather perfume, but I do think it's a wonderful perfume and there's nothing else like it out there. Something special.

double post

You are not confrontational at all, but very polite!

Ebay has 100 ml spray bottles at around 80 euros. I think it's exceptional value. The earlier dark grey cap is unfortunately a bit hard to find. I have found three 200 ml bottles during my many years of hunting. This version is most likely my favorite fragrance. Balance of spices is impeccable and the sandalwood base is so smooth and creamy. Copper cap is a bit unrefined in comparison.

Well, leather is a bit of an abstract accord. It was famously made to smell like an interior of an Hermes bag and I think it captures this idea. It's clearly not your rubbery and smoky isobutyl quinoline leather. Rather, the leather accord is created by labdanum and birch tar. And probably castoreum too.

Would you be so kind as to send me a link of the copper caps? I'm genuinely perplexed how you've been able to find those. I've gone through hours of all the gray markets trying to approximate what the stock of Eau d'Hermes looks like, and I've never found them.

I would absolutely agree it's abstract. I sprayed some on since we're talking about it, and it hits a good spot in the brain every time. I suppose it's the spices that throw off my perception of the leather. I like that though it's similar in nature to Cuir Mauresque, even though they smell nothing a like. I prefer this sort of scent for wearing, because Isobutyl Quinoline type of leathers can smell wonderful like Tuscan Leather, but they're not something I just always want to throw on. There's never a time when Eau d'Hermes can't be worn comfortably.

Just received a decant of Tuscan Leather Intense. Wowzas. I don't quite know if it's bottle-worthy for me yet but I really dig it so far. It has that petrol-ish (cocaine) opening reminiscent of vintage Tuscan Leather. The raspberry is dialed back giving way to a very smooth leather accord. Might make it my SOTN as I wind down later.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Just received a decant of Tuscan Leather Intense. Wowzas. I don't quite know if it's bottle-worthy for me yet but I really dig it so far. It has that petrol-ish (cocaine) opening reminiscent of vintage Tuscan Leather. The raspberry is dialed back giving way to a very smooth leather accord. Might make it my SOTN as I wind down later.
    I need to give this one a wear. Have only tried it on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I need to give this one a wear. Have only tried it on paper.
    So after a full wearing last night I'm not as excited about it. The original still beats it, vintage or otherwise, to my nose. The davana note stands out to my nose but I don't really get into it. I do like the opening but not the mid and dry down as much. Def curious to see what you think though.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    So after a full wearing last night I'm not as excited about it. The original still beats it, vintage or otherwise, to my nose. The davana note stands out to my nose but I don't really get into it. I do like the opening but not the mid and dry down as much. Def curious to see what you think though.
    I think I'll gravitate toward the original (which I did when I tried TLI on paper) because I really love the raspberry. It rounds out the leather and sweetens it just a touch. When Nordstrom opens again, I'll be sure to give this one a try and report my full thoughts.