Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Aventus the next Cool Water?

    With the amount of people wearing Aventus now, do you think they’ll come a time
    in the future where no one really bats an eye lid when someone’s wearing it?

    I remember being a teenager and everyone wearing Cool Water, I dare say when that came out there was a massive hype over it. Now you can pick it up for about £12

    I’m actually going off the Aventus scent now with the amounts of clones and fake versions of it. It no longer smells like an expensive fragrance as every man and his dog is wearing it (or claiming to be wearing the legitimate one)

    Sorry if this had been discussed before

  2. #2
    a quarter million, tops
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    1,581

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I feel like Mont Blanc is the first real entry of this fragrance to the masses. And with the fragmentation of everything, I don't know if anything can ever reach the ubiquity that was previously possible. Back when there were only 4 tv channels walter chronkite was the voice of the news. Now you have many voices.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    295,831

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMalteseTweed View Post
    Now you can pick it up for about £12
    Don't think that Aventus will ever approach that figure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    You know you are wearing the original though -- that's all that matters really

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I think Aventus will settle into being the new Green Irish Tweed, not the next Cool Water. In other words, it'll be a particularly high-end expression of trends that became mainstream (which it already has been for a little while, to be honest).
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    My two scents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St.Louis Missouri/Western Illinois
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    So far I have only came across a few people who even know what Aventus is let alone heard of Creed lol....Midwestern boy here. I am too old for the club scene and go to very few sporting events as I spend all my extra money on colognes lol
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Rume by Slumberhouse

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    It depends on how well Creed can maintain its brand cache over the coming decades. Davidoff clearly fell down several notches. If it slips and Aventus starts hitting discounters, maybe. But I doubt that will happen (it's starting at a much higher price point than Cool Water)...at least not any time soon.

    Mostly likely:

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I think Aventus will settle into being the new Green Irish Tweed, not the next Cool Water. In other words, it'll be a particularly high-end expression of trends that became mainstream (which it already has been for a little while, to be honest).
    And I agree it's already arrived at that point. The major difference is GIT had Cool Water to take its theme to the masses, and then Cool Water went downmarket while GIT stayed aloft. Aventus has a small army of clones and "inspired by" designers that followed, so the adoption at lower price points is a little less distinct to the casual onlooker. Anyway, I bet Aventus stays largely insulated in terms of pricing, like GIT.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    The major difference is GIT had Cool Water to take its theme to the masses, and then Cool Water went downmarket while GIT stayed aloft. Aventus has a small army of clones and "inspired by" designers that followed, so the adoption at lower price points is a little less distinct to the casual onlooker.
    Yep. Aventus DNA has been sprinkled throughout the mainstream, rather than deposited into a single, successful clone.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

  9. #9
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    7,759
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Unless Creed gets sold to a corporation, taken down market, and their lines mass produced, doubtful.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

  10. #10
    Super Member afterdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Zurich, Munich
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Most people out there dont even know about Creed let alone Aventus, you can impress that crowd with Explorer just as well, you dont need Aventus anymore. More and more Aventus fans will earlier or sooner realize that this scent profile can be had for peanuts and it would be silly to pay big dollar to aquire an Aventus. All the babbling about the "real thing" here and there, 99,9 % people out there cant tell Explorer from Aventus. A lot less people can tell Mazzolari Nero from Aventus. Royal Vintage of Micallef is even better than Aventus, Loewe PH....and on and on...I dont want to know how many people are already wearing Explorer and when they are asked what they are wearing they say Aventus, and guess what, it works. The glory and exclusivity is gone.
    Last edited by afterdark; 10th October 2019 at 01:13 AM.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

    Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

  11. #11

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I went to a Creed counter today, I don't know why really, just for schadenfreuder type kicks ha!
    To see what "*^&(%*X" the SA might spout. Terible I know! - "ooooh its really good, I reallly love Creed, the ingredients are soo goood, it lasts sooo long" - as Alan PArtridge might retort "hmmm"
    I get that every man and his dog vibe from it and similarly Tom Ford stuff.
    Both these brand seem to have caught the "we spend our whole dole check on the biggest swoosh training apparel" market somewhat. Not making fun of peoples circumstance - just seems a bit sad.
    And I stopped myself from trying Aventus.
    Some once said "marketers are evil" - in some cases I agree. The sell you what THEY want, not what YOU need.

    Rant over. "Don't write in"!

    Haha on the silly sauce
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  12. #12
    Dependent Dolce_Vita87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Repentigny
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    Most people out there dont even know about Creed let alone Aventus, you can impress that crowd with Explorer just as well, you dont need Aventus anymore. More and more Aventus fans will earlier or sooner realize that this scent profile can be had for peanuts and it would be silly to pay big dollar to aquire an Aventus. All the babbling about the "real thing" here and there, 99,9 % people out there cant tell Explorer from Aventus. Much less people can tell Mazzolari Nero from Aventus. Royal Vintage of Micallef is even better than Aventus, Loewe PH....and on and on...I dont want to know how many people are already wearing Explorer and when they are asked what they are wearing they say Aventus, and guess what, it works. The glory and exclusivity is gone.
    This is all bullshit seriously. No clones can get the exact vibe that aventus is making. There is that girl at work who just can't get enough of my aventus, she always becomes crazy when she smells me. She knows its aventus because I told her the name but she don't know the clones and never smelled them. I wanted to check the clones reactions so for 4-5 days I wore a different clone each day and I can tell you for sure that each day she came to me telling this : "Did you changed your cologne today? You are not smelling the same than the other days. That specific scent that make me recognize you in the building is not there". I made fun of her telling it was still aventus and probably her nose was broken haha. The moment I came back with aventus she immediately recognized it and told me "Hmmm TODAY I can recognize your lovely aventus".

    Some other day I sprayed some Explorer on a testing card and told one of my friend who really loves my aventus (but he don't know the name) if the card was smelling the same than the perfume I always wear at work and he says "Hell no. Similar but its not the same. Its brighter and feel cheaper. Is this a china copy" hahaha!

    All the clones share a similar vibes (or a similar opening) but there is really something in aventus, specially in the drydown, that makes it really unique. The ambergris/musky feel is very different in aventus. Or maybe its something else but the musky/woodsy scent that aventus leaves behind me is not comparable to the clones.

    This is not to forget all the times I made my friends smell a clone when we are passing by a perfume store and they always, ALWAYS answer something very similar : "Yuk.. this smells like a cheap wannabe. Similar vibe but something harsh and nasty that difference them from the real one".
    KEEP
    CALM
    AND
    SMELL
    GOOD

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I love Aventus, one of my favorite scents of all time for sure, but to be honest I never smell it on anyone but myself. I'm not a high society person but I mingle about in a big city fairly often (Denver) and I never, ever smell Aventus. Sauvage, YSL L'Homme, Green Irish Tweed (and, yes, Cool Water,) Acqua Di Gio, CK One, CK Be, Kenneth Cole Black...I even smelled Viking on someone at a concert. Never Aventus.

    So no, I wouldn't say it is at risk of being oversaturated right now.
    Currently Rotating:

    *Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

  14. #14
    Super Member afterdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Zurich, Munich
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolce_Vita87 View Post
    This is all bullshit seriously. No clones can get the exact vibe that aventus is making. There is that girl at work who just can't get enough of my aventus, she always becomes crazy when she smells me. She knows its aventus because I told her the name but she don't know the clones and never smelled them. I wanted to check the clones reactions so for 4-5 days I wore a different clone each day and I can tell you for sure that each day she came to me telling this : "Did you changed your cologne today? You are not smelling the same than the other days. That specific scent that make me recognize you in the building is not there". I made fun of her telling it was still aventus and probably her nose was broken haha. The moment I came back with aventus she immediately recognized it and told me "Hmmm TODAY I can recognize your lovely aventus".

    Some other day I sprayed some Explorer on a testing card and told one of my friend who really loves my aventus (but he don't know the name) if the card was smelling the same than the perfume I always wear at work and he says "Hell no. Similar but its not the same. Its brighter and feel cheaper. Is this a china copy" hahaha!

    All the clones share a similar vibes (or a similar opening) but there is really something in aventus, specially in the drydown, that makes it really unique. The ambergris/musky feel is very different in aventus. Or maybe its something else but the musky/woodsy scent that aventus leaves behind me is not comparable to the clones.

    This is not to forget all the times I made my friends smell a clone when we are passing by a perfume store and they always, ALWAYS answer something very similar : "Yuk.. this smells like a cheap wannabe. Similar vibe but something harsh and nasty that difference them from the real one".
    Well to me it reads like an aventus fan boy being at it. What exactly is "bullshit" about what i said? You are taking one single persons opinion and perception and projecting it on everybody else and call it a day. I for my one, i have sold my Aventus bottle because where i work, people didnt get the difference between my aventus and my newly aquired explorer. Not even my wife did. If you dont prepare people around you by explaining thing and going deep into the stuff, they vast majority simply cant tell explorer from aventus. My Mazzolari Nero is soo good and so well blended, in blind side by side test, you could end up picking it over Aventus itself. I know you dont like it but you need to accept it, Aventus and its scent profile are nothing special anymore. Everyone and their dogs can smell like Aventus and they dont even have to break the bank. I am not saying all copies are dont perfectly but those countless clones have made sure, this particular scent profile is nothing special and exclusive anymore.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

    Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus
    My two scents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St.Louis Missouri/Western Illinois
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    Well to me it reads like an aventus fan boy being at it. What exactly is "bullshit" about what i said? You are taking one single persons opinion and perception and projecting it on everybody else and call it a day. I for my one, i have sold my Aventus bottle because where i work, people didnt get the difference between my aventus and my newly aquired explorer. Not even my wife did. If you dont prepare people around you by explaining thing and going deep into the stuff, they vast majority simply cant tell explorer from aventus. My Mazzolari Nero is soo good and so well blended, in blind side by side test, you could end up picking it over Aventus itself. I know you dont like it but you need to accept it, Aventus and its scent profile are nothing special anymore. Everyone and their dogs can smell like Aventus and they dont even have to break the bank. I am not saying all copies are dont perfectly but those countless clones have made sure, this particular scent profile is nothing special and exclusive anymore.
    Where did Fan Boy originate lol! I chuckle every time I hear or read it. Was it the Creed group maybe?
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Rume by Slumberhouse

  16. #16
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    7,759
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by My two scents View Post
    Where did Fan Boy originate lol! I chuckle every time I hear or read it. Was it the Creed group maybe?
    This ain't our fight M2S, let's boogie outta here.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

  17. #17
    The_Cologneist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,992
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I remember creating a topic earlier this year of similar regard. I was writing an article for a magazine that got scrapped anyways. The topic was similar about the popularity of Aventus. However, it seemed to trigger a lot of people, and set people apart. (as all Aventus topics do of course) Many of which, people in denial and think that just because THEY don't smell Aventus, that nobody else does. LOL. It was actually a really funny topic by the end, not the topic, but the reactions. The amount of hate I got, not just on the topic, but in PMs, I mean people really got antsy on the topic.

    So fair warning, if this topic does continue, it's probably gonna piss off a lot of people. They don't wanna believe that their $400 Aventus is being worn by 16 year old high school kids, but it is. The exclusiveness is not what they think it is. And so, to answer your question. I do think Aventus will be and perhaps already is the next Cool Water. Its already been out nearly a decade. Cool Water had a huge hit for success when I was in high school which was about 12 years after its release. Maybe history will repeat itself for Aventus, and 12 years in will be its prime.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

  18. #18
    Super Member afterdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Zurich, Munich
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frag-crazy View Post
    Did you perhaps notice the sub-forum that was created solely for this frag? Looking at this objectively and whether you would like to admit or not, Aventus is indeed liked and adored by many, simple irrefutable fact. Of course, not by you which is fine, your prerogative
    Honestly, I don't see the context of your post. Yes this is a Creed forum and I am talking Creed. How you conclude that I don't like a scent just because I say it's exclusivity is gone down the gutter is beyond me aswell because I like that scent profile of aventus.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

    Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus
    My two scents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St.Louis Missouri/Western Illinois
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This ain't our fight M2S, let's boogie outta here.

    Lmao but i AM a Fan Boy! ;-D
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Rume by Slumberhouse

  20. #20

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Cool Water is a $50 cologne
    Aventus is a $300 cologne

    that ALONE will keep it from saturating the market. Also, for all its popularity, I also have never even once smelled Aventus on another person "in the wild" and I live in a pretty populous area (metro west Boston MA). Although I don't go clubbing very often either.

    I also think that the clones fall short of capturing the richness and depth of Aventus. Those people that think that CDNIM smells "exactly" like Aventus have something wrong with their noses I think. I can't stand when people tell people they are wearing Aventus when they are wearing something else. What a stupid lie.

  21. #21
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Cool Water is a $50 cologne
    Aventus is a $300 cologne

    that ALONE will keep it from saturating the market. Also, for all its popularity, I also have never even once smelled Aventus on another person "in the wild" and I live in a pretty populous area (metro west Boston MA). Although I don't go clubbing very often either.

    I also think that the clones fall short of capturing the richness and depth of Aventus. Those people that think that CDNIM smells "exactly" like Aventus have something wrong with their noses I think. I can't stand when people tell people they are wearing Aventus when they are wearing something else. What a stupid lie.
    Truth, Aventus is on another level and isn’t as popular as many make it seem. Batch variations can annoy some but when everything aligns right a wearing of Aventus is quite the experience!
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”

  22. #22

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    of the 100+ people ive talked to about what fragrance im wearing in the past year, not one person has heard of creed, let alone aventus.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Junkie slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    587

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Out of interest, how often are people smelling Aventus or Aventus-clone fragrances out in the 'wild'? Am I an anomaly or something? I rarely smell it compared to Invictus-esque scents tbh.


    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I feel like Mont Blanc is the first real entry of this fragrance to the masses. And with the fragmentation of everything, I don't know if anything can ever reach the ubiquity that was previously possible. Back when there were only 4 tv channels walter chronkite was the voice of the news. Now you have many voices.
    Great, great point. I really do think culture is splintered (and globalised) in a way that nothing is really permanent or as pervasive as it could be in the 90s or before. At least, not when it comes to something like this - the things that bind us, the things we share, are more nebulous than facets of popular culture, or consumer products.

    I can only assume, based on how infrequently I smell Aventus, that there is a skew in peoples' minds based on how frequently they read about it online. The old onlineffline dichotomy. I really don't think it's 'old' or overdone or anything like that.

    Also - not to state the obvious - but as Cool Water is a clone/inspired-by Green Irish Tweed, are we not better off comparing...I don't know... an actual mass market Aventus clone as the new Cool Water? Maybe it's Explorer...but maybe it hasn't been made yet? Instead, it feels more like its component parts have been split up and used in a range of releases - which is the way of the modern world as well.

    If one of the powerhouses maade an actual Aventus-copycat, and not something vaguely similar in template but not notes, like Sauvage, then I think it probably would become *the* scent. As long as Aventus is £100+ a bottle, it won't be worn or bought by the everyman and every man.

    EDIT: I see this has already been said. Nevermind!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    If so, it would mean that most of the teenagers and/or young adults, even young professional just finishing studies and/or starting to work would have a great fragrance taste. Thus personally considering Aventus not just one of the better choices for upmarket, upwardly mobile youngsters but also one of the better niche male fragrances released lately and with reasonable popularity and commercial success altogether.

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus
    My two scents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St.Louis Missouri/Western Illinois
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I remember creating a topic earlier this year of similar regard. I was writing an article for a magazine that got scrapped anyways. The topic was similar about the popularity of Aventus. However, it seemed to trigger a lot of people, and set people apart. (as all Aventus topics do of course) Many of which, people in denial and think that just because THEY don't smell Aventus, that nobody else does. LOL. It was actually a really funny topic by the end, not the topic, but the reactions. The amount of hate I got, not just on the topic, but in PMs, I mean people really got antsy on the topic.

    So fair warning, if this topic does continue, it's probably gonna piss off a lot of people. They don't wanna believe that their $400 Aventus is being worn by 16 year old high school kids, but it is. The exclusiveness is not what they think it is. And so, to answer your question. I do think Aventus will be and perhaps already is the next Cool Water. Its already been out nearly a decade. Cool Water had a huge hit for success when I was in high school which was about 12 years after its release. Maybe history will repeat itself for Aventus, and 12 years in will be its prime.
    As much as I agree and get what you are saying in the first paragraph, I couldn't disagree more about the 2nd paragraph.
    I am in the group of people who think they need to over spray Aventus. Mainly because I wear it because I love to smell it! I have been told several times that they could smell me down the hall or from way too far away and I was shocked because I could barely smell it anymore.

    In the second paragraph there is no way in Hell you can compare a fairly affordable designer fragrance that virtually everyone has been force fed advertising and has smelled lord knows how many times a day to a fairly obscure unknown fragrance and brand. I personally have never smelled Aventus on anyone I have been close enough to pick up s fragrance. If it were affordable enough for someone to wear every day then you can make that statement. Now if you are talking about within the online fragrance communities then YES

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyle View Post
    of the 100+ people ive talked to about what fragrance im wearing in the past year, not one person has heard of creed, let alone aventus.
    Same here. Only one person I have come across that know Creed and was familiar with Aventus. Of all people it was a temp worker at work hired for summer help!
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Rume by Slumberhouse

  26. #26

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by My two scents View Post
    Same here. Only one person I have come across that know Creed and was familiar with Aventus. Of all people it was a temp worker at work hired for summer help!
    My experience also living in a major city and rubbing elbows with some big wigs. Most folks don't know or care about frags outside of what might smell good in passing. Some cultures outside the fragcomm might have more of a vested interested (Middle Easterners, for example) but, otherwise, only we care haha. I've smelled Aventus once on someone and he was a total fraghead.

  27. #27
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    7,759
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I remember creating a topic earlier this year of similar regard. I was writing an article for a magazine that got scrapped anyways. The topic was similar about the popularity of Aventus. However, it seemed to trigger a lot of people, and set people apart. (as all Aventus topics do of course) Many of which, people in denial and think that just because THEY don't smell Aventus, that nobody else does. LOL. It was actually a really funny topic by the end, not the topic, but the reactions. The amount of hate I got, not just on the topic, but in PMs, I mean people really got antsy on the topic.

    So fair warning, if this topic does continue, it's probably gonna piss off a lot of people. They don't wanna believe that their $400 Aventus is being worn by 16 year old high school kids, but it is. The exclusiveness is not what they think it is. And so, to answer your question. I do think Aventus will be and perhaps already is the next Cool Water. Its already been out nearly a decade. Cool Water had a huge hit for success when I was in high school which was about 12 years after its release. Maybe history will repeat itself for Aventus, and 12 years in will be its prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by My two scents View Post
    As much as I agree and get what you are saying in the first paragraph, I couldn't disagree more about the 2nd paragraph.
    I am in the group of people who think they need to over spray Aventus. Mainly because I wear it because I love to smell it! I have been told several times that they could smell me down the hall or from way too far away and I was shocked because I could barely smell it anymore.

    In the second paragraph there is no way in Hell you can compare a fairly affordable designer fragrance that virtually everyone has been force fed advertising and has smelled lord knows how many times a day to a fairly obscure unknown fragrance and brand. I personally have never smelled Aventus on anyone I have been close enough to pick up s fragrance. If it were affordable enough for someone to wear every day then you can make that statement. Now if you are talking about within the online fragrance communities then YES
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    My experience also living in a major city and rubbing elbows with some big wigs. Most folks don't know or care about frags outside of what might smell good in passing. Some cultures outside the fragcomm might have more of a vested interested (Middle Easterners, for example) but, otherwise, only we care haha. I've smelled Aventus once on someone and he was a total fraghead.
    There are shades of truth in all three of your statements, so rather than go with an agree/disagree reply, I'll just share my experience and how it shaped my perspective on Aventus with a caveat, that I can only speak for how it is here in the United States. Things may be different in other countries:



    Aventus has been on the market since 2010. I had heard of it and Creed since I've been in the hobby for so long, but had not encountered a soul like myself who knew what it was or wore it until I moved here.

    You won't find Aventus in the majority of median to lower-income areas in the country, let alone Creed, or hardly any niche at all outside of hole-in-the-wall specialty perfume shops, and here's why:

    I lived in Baltimore MD, one of the poorest and most crime-ridden cities in the US, all my life up until Jan 2015. I was 33 at the time. There is ONE Nordstrom for the entire Baltimore Metropolitan area back then, and it was in Towson, one of the few high-end enclaves of wealth inside the Baltimore County line (you had to go closer to DC otherwise). There was no Creed counter in that Nordstrom. I had never seen a Neiman Marcus until moving here. My entire life until I moved here, I had never heard of nor seen Creed or Aventus. If some rich people in Towson wore it, they never spoke of it because they were an island of rich in an ocean of poor, and it was as obscure as any niche brand could be expected to be in an area of the US where buying a bottle of Nautica from Walmart is "Big Pimpin'"

    Now, I'm sure there are plenty of Maryland fragheads that would come out of the woodwork if they could see this thread and go "oh yeah all my friends wear Aventus and it's like Cool Water", because in THEIR world it is. They also probably know most of their friends from the internet and have meetups like many do in this community. It's a microcosm like any focused interest. However, I can assure you there are likely no 16 year old boys in the public schools of Baltimore City or any of the surrounding counties wearing Aventus unless they're online and watching Jeremy Fragrance, Gentscents, or other reviewers and nabbing decants off eBay with their summer job money. If so, they are in the distinct minority of young men at that age living in what is the median income bracket for that area (still very low), they likely don't talk about it unless asked because being into fragrance isn't super impressive in poorer communities (like sports would be), and would actually be something for which you could get picked on.


    However, once you enter into one of the few remaining areas of intense prosperity in the country, all that changes. Even then, there are still limitations, and here's why:

    The Seattle metropolitan area, and the surrounding suburbs of Bellevue and Redmond are a different story from most of Washington. Here, I encounter Aventus in the wild every single time I go to downtown Bellevue where all the tech millionaires, billionaires, and general Amazonites and Microsoftians shop at one of several luxury malls or districts. In and around The Bravern especially, which is something a small ultra-luxe shopping district of designer boutiques and $300 a plate restaurants, you will catch clouds of Aventus the way you'd catch clouds of Sauvage in any normal mall. Move on to Seattle, and it is a bit more mixed because you'll find guys in Creed, Parfums de Marly, and Tom Ford Private Blends near the shopping corridors downtown, but more of the Sauvage, Bleu, Invictus, and other designers around the office towers, although Aventus does sometimes show up. You can catch a Creed here more often on what appears to be an older and higher-ranking suit in these business areas, but it usually smells like older Creed output like Silver Mountain Water.

    For some reason, Aventus gets worn by more younger rich guys shopping than people working in this area (regardless of age). That may differ in other high-end cities. So from my experience, this will not become like Cool Water unless you are in an area like NYC, Seattle, San Francisco, Arlington, or Los Angeles, and all you hang around are upper middle-class professionals young enough to want Aventus over something else in the Creed line or an alternative like Parfums de Marly. Yeah, living in the biggest concentrations of wealth and prosperity within your given area will increase the likelihood that you'll encounter something like this in the wild and even more so if you're closer to the source in Western Europe or France; but for the other 90% of us, Aventus was first experienced from a decanted sample, or a blind purchase from watching reviews, and I'm not even talking people who consider themselves hobbyists or in "the game" of fragrance.



    You have to sort of do the whole "Google Map Zoom-Out" from the comings and goings of this hobby sometimes to realize something that seems big to you is not big to the world. Is Aventus one of the biggest-selling niche masculine perfumes of all time? Yes. Is Aventus once of the most commonly-encountered niche perfumes for men in it's market segment? Yes. Could someone dealing on a daily basis with the kind of people who are likely to know about or be able to afford Aventus mistake it for being a mainstream fragrance? Absolutely. But outside of "fragbros" in the hobby or areas of concentrated wealth, this is not a popular or common scent in the US. Period. Walk the streets of a town like Pittsburgh PA, Kansas City MO, or any area that isn't one of the more populous or wealthy cities in the nation. You'll find tons of older mainstream masculines like Eternity for Men or Curve for Men getting plenty of play on buses and street corners, probably blasts of 1 Million or Eros in clubs, and the newest Dolce & Gabbana flanker being sprayed in the air at your nearest Macy's, but you will NOT encounter Aventus or even anyone who knows what it is.

    Put another way, if you live anywhere outside the areas of influence in this country, and still manage to run across that one random intern, college kid, or "dude in line" in front of you at the bank smelling like Aventus, then THAT is guy with a vested interest in fragrances, and probably cruises YouTube reviews, maybe this site, and is the exception to the rule. Or then again, he might just be wearing Montblanc Explorer. *wink*
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

  28. #28
    Basenotes Plus
    My two scents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St.Louis Missouri/Western Illinois
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    There are shades of truth in all three of your statements, so rather than go with an agree/disagree reply, I'll just share my experience and how it shaped my perspective on Aventus with a caveat, that I can only speak for how it is here in the United States. Things may be different in other countries:



    Aventus has been on the market since 2010. I had heard of it and Creed since I've been in the hobby for so long, but had not encountered a soul like myself who knew what it was or wore it until I moved here.

    You won't find Aventus in the majority of median to lower-income areas in the country, let alone Creed, or hardly any niche at all outside of hole-in-the-wall specialty perfume shops, and here's why:

    I lived in Baltimore MD, one of the poorest and most crime-ridden cities in the US, all my life up until Jan 2015. I was 33 at the time. There is ONE Nordstrom for the entire Baltimore Metropolitan area back then, and it was in Towson, one of the few high-end enclaves of wealth inside the Baltimore County line (you had to go closer to DC otherwise). There was no Creed counter in that Nordstrom. I had never seen a Neiman Marcus until moving here. My entire life until I moved here, I had never heard of nor seen Creed or Aventus. If some rich people in Towson wore it, they never spoke of it because they were an island of rich in an ocean of poor, and it was as obscure as any niche brand could be expected to be in an area of the US where buying a bottle of Nautica from Walmart is "Big Pimpin'"

    Now, I'm sure there are plenty of Maryland fragheads that would come out of the woodwork if they could see this thread and go "oh yeah all my friends wear Aventus and it's like Cool Water", because in THEIR world it is. They also probably know most of their friends from the internet and have meetups like many do in this community. It's a microcosm like any focused interest. However, I can assure you there are likely no 16 year old boys in the public schools of Baltimore City or any of the surrounding counties wearing Aventus unless they're online and watching Jeremy Fragrance, Gentscents, or other reviewers and nabbing decants off eBay with their summer job money. If so, they are in the distinct minority of young men at that age living in what is the median income bracket for that area (still very low), they likely don't talk about it unless asked because being into fragrance isn't super impressive in poorer communities (like sports would be), and would actually be something for which you could get picked on.


    However, once you enter into one of the few remaining areas of intense prosperity in the country, all that changes. Even then, there are still limitations, and here's why:

    The Seattle metropolitan area, and the surrounding suburbs of Bellevue and Redmond are a different story from most of Washington. Here, I encounter Aventus in the wild every single time I go to downtown Bellevue where all the tech millionaires, billionaires, and general Amazonites and Microsoftians shop at one of several luxury malls or districts. In and around The Bravern especially, which is something a small ultra-luxe shopping district of designer boutiques and $300 a plate restaurants, you will catch clouds of Aventus the way you'd catch clouds of Sauvage in any normal mall. Move on to Seattle, and it is a bit more mixed because you'll find guys in Creed, Parfums de Marly, and Tom Ford Private Blends near the shopping corridors downtown, but more of the Sauvage, Bleu, Invictus, and other designers around the office towers, although Aventus does sometimes show up. You can catch a Creed here more often on what appears to be an older and higher-ranking suit in these business areas, but it usually smells like older Creed output like Silver Mountain Water.

    For some reason, Aventus gets worn by more younger rich guys shopping than people working in this area (regardless of age). That may differ in other high-end cities. So from my experience, this will not become like Cool Water unless you are in an area like NYC, Seattle, San Francisco, Arlington, or Los Angeles, and all you hang around are upper middle-class professionals young enough to want Aventus over something else in the Creed line or an alternative like Parfums de Marly. Yeah, living in the biggest concentrations of wealth and prosperity within your given area will increase the likelihood that you'll encounter something like this in the wild and even more so if you're closer to the source in Western Europe or France; but for the other 90% of us, Aventus was first experienced from a decanted sample, or a blind purchase from watching reviews, and I'm not even talking people who consider themselves hobbyists or in "the game" of fragrance.



    You have to sort of do the whole "Google Map Zoom-Out" from the comings and goings of this hobby sometimes to realize something that seems big to you is not big to the world. Is Aventus one of the biggest-selling niche masculine perfumes of all time? Yes. Is Aventus once of the most commonly-encountered niche perfumes for men in it's market segment? Yes. Could someone dealing on a daily basis with the kind of people who are likely to know about or be able to afford Aventus mistake it for being a mainstream fragrance? Absolutely. But outside of "fragbros" in the hobby or areas of concentrated wealth, this is not a popular or common scent in the US. Period. Walk the streets of a town like Pittsburgh PA, Kansas City MO, or any area that isn't one of the more populous or wealthy cities in the nation. You'll find tons of older mainstream masculines like Eternity for Men or Curve for Men getting plenty of play on buses and street corners, probably blasts of 1 Million or Eros in clubs, and the newest Dolce & Gabbana flanker being sprayed in the air at your nearest Macy's, but you will NOT encounter Aventus or even anyone who knows what it is.

    Put another way, if you live anywhere outside the areas of influence in this country, and still manage to run across that one random intern, college kid, or "dude in line" in front of you at the bank smelling like Aventus, then THAT is guy with a vested interest in fragrances, and probably cruises YouTube reviews, maybe this site, and is the exception to the rule. Or then again, he might just be wearing Montblanc Explorer. *wink*
    This lol yeah. I agree. Quite a great reply.
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Rume by Slumberhouse

  29. #29
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    385

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    I've smelled Aventus or something similar on people in New York City and Denver.

  30. #30
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,757

    Default Re: Aventus the next Cool Water?

    A current cologne that is one of the most popular but in another 20 years, it can be had for $20? There's is nothing out there that has reached the level of popularity that Cool Water reached that I can foresee being some ignored cheapie in another 20 years. Sauvage will never dip down to those prices. Neither will Aqua Di Gio. Maybe Dylan Blue or The One? But they'll never reach the level of popularity that Cool Water reached.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 24th October 2016, 01:53 AM
  2. cool water vintage vs cool water reformulation
    By noirdrakkar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th November 2015, 02:58 AM
  3. Cool Water Summer Fizz vs Cool Water Happy Summer
    By cescpistol in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th June 2010, 02:25 PM
  4. Difference between Davidoff Cool Water and Cool Water Game??
    By dan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th April 2010, 08:40 PM
  5. New Cool Water: Ice Fresh! (no way another Cool Water?)
    By SirSlarty in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th January 2010, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000