Code of Conduct

Default Best Eclectic Designers of Last 3 Years

I can think of 3:

Gucci Guilty Absolute PH

Guerlain Lui

Alien Man by Mugler

Default Re: Best Eclectic Designers of Last 3 Years

MAC Shadescents My Heroine - This predates the arrival of Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by one year, using the same spicy graphite accord but puts it over a base of semi-sweet tobacco and suede instead of over woods. The effect is a kind of like a lit cigarette paired with sensual leather. It's bracing, it's ashy, it's stanky, and it's really well done.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Agree on Gucci Guilty Absolute. Would add Gucci Guilty Cologne to that list. And would finish with Carven L'Eau Intense.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Hmmmm, I'd say these -

Prada L'Homme
    Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme
    Tom Ford Noir Anthracite
    Currently wearing: Oud Palao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    MAC Shadescents My Heroine - This predates the arrival of Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by one year, using the same spicy graphite accord but puts it over a base of semi-sweet tobacco and suede instead of over woods. The effect is a kind of like a lit cigarette paired with sensual leather. It's bracing, it's ashy, it's stanky, and it's really well done.
    I picked this up based on Brooks' recommendation. Haven't given it a full wearing, but boy is it out there!! It out-Anthracites Anthracite.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I picked this up based on Brooks' recommendation. Haven't given it a full wearing, but boy is it out there!! It out-Anthracites Anthracite.
    I told ya!

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I can think of 3:

Gucci Guilty Absolute PH

Guerlain Lui

Alien Man by Mugler
    Like this list!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Just R⚡ck! (2017) by Zadig & Voltaire
    French Affair (2017) by Ex Nihilo
    Valentin (2019) by Fragonard
    Currently wearing: Parfum du 68 by Guerlain

1. GGA (own and love)
    2. Ombré Leather (own and love)
    3. Prada L’Homme or Montblanc Explorer (on my radar)
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Cartier L'Envol
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Cartier L'Envol
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon
    Forgot about L’Envol. Don’t like it, but it is very different.

I think L'Envol is splendid.

I don't enjoy Dunhill Century, but it also deserves a mention here because it's so different. Not out-there crazy, but like L'Envol it's just doing its own, peculiar thing.

Autumn Favorites

Possibly also:

Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo (2016, eclectic boozy gourmand)

Givenchy Gentleman EDP (the 2018 new release, while not outstanding in terms of eclecticism, still more eclectic than the more upfront, easily recognizable chypre powerhouse animalic theme in the vintage Gentleman range)

l'Homme Ideal Sport (2017, while marginally airier, lighter and more casual than the rest of the l'Homme Ideal range, still not as sporty as one might expect but also not as gourmand as the trademark style of both the house and this fragrance series)
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I can think of 3:

Gucci Guilty Absolute PH

Guerlain Lui

Alien Man by Mugler
    I wish Alien Man had been even half as adventurous as Mugler's Alien. Very safe, modern and sweet. Disappointing.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly also:

Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo (2016, eclectic boozy gourmand)
    This one doesn't seem that eclectic to me. I've worn it a few times and found it to be merely an amped-up "clubbing frag" take on the coffee-vanilla of Rochas Man with a bit of modern designer "Windex" in there.

The Uomo Signature flanker is a bit more notable, I think, but even then it's kinda/sorta doing a "tasteful" version of the more out-there John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider, which I don't like at all but probably deserves a mention in this thread because it is very weird.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Just R⚡ck! (2017) by Zadig & Voltaire
    French Affair (2017) by Ex Nihilo
    Valentin (2019) by Fragonard
    This is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire is perhaps even more so. The type of thing more young men ought to be wearing instead of the of the too often insipid designer dreck they seem to prefer.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

This one doesn't seem that eclectic to me. I've worn it a few times and found it to be merely an amped-up "clubbing frag" take on the coffee-vanilla of Rochas Man with a bit of modern designer "Windex" in there.

The Uomo Signature flanker is a bit more notable, I think, but even then it's kinda/sorta doing a "tasteful" version of the more out-there John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider, which I don't like at all but probably deserves a mention in this thread because it is very weird.

Thank you for the Uomo Signature-will have to test or to remember if it just needs re-testing, since aside from weirdness and/or low notability, the resemblance to Dark Rebel Rider is at least a decent selling point, even regarding a certain eclecticism put to good use
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

The Salvatore I didn't care for and found it boring.
    Nice mention with the JV Dark Rebel Rider. Your opinion is in line with most of the population, as it came and went in a blink. I enjoy it, though it fades in that classic JV way....in about 30 minutes.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

Dark Rebel by Varvatos

...probably should be included in this list, even though it has issues. It's different enough from other designers to warrant inclusion. The main problem is the anemic performance, which literally turns into a skin scent in 30 minutes. The drydown is somewhat generic also after an interesting opening. Oddly enough, even though it's barely noticeable so soon after application it hangs around for eons as a skin scent. Possibly I just never figured out the requisite number of sprays it needs to be at all acceptable.
    Most worn:

It's amazing that no matter how many "heavy" notes are used in a JV fragrance, it's guaranteed to evaporate into nothingness shortly after application.

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Dark Rebel by Varvatos

...probably should be included in this list, even though it has issues. It's different enough from other designers to warrant inclusion. The main problem is the anemic performance, which literally turns into a skin scent in 30 minutes. The drydown is somewhat generic also after an interesting opening. Oddly enough, even though it's barely noticeable so soon after application it hangs around for eons as a skin scent. Possibly I just never figured out the requisite number of sprays it needs to be at all acceptable.
    From my experience, Dark Rebel hangs around much longer than Rider does. Plus, they're too similar for me to have both so I just opted to keep the bottle of Dark Rebel. But I do miss that strange smell of Rider for the short time I had it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I assume by "eclectic" you mean "eccentric"? In any case, I'd agree with most of what people have mentioned, with Gucci particularly standing out as trying new things, which I admire, even if none of them have been loves for me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    This is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire is perhaps even more so. The type of thing more young men ought to be wearing instead of the of the too often insipid designer dreck they seem to prefer.
    To my nose they are the same
    Currently wearing: Parfum du 68 by Guerlain