Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: Your 2020 Fragrance Plans?

Upon thinking on this some more, I would like to dig in to some vintage stuff. The only reason I haven't done so yet is because it relies heavily on ebay sales, which always makes me cautious. I'm usually a bit too impatient with keeping my eyes in sellers and what's being listed, etc. It's a bit more of a time investment, so I've mostly stayed away from making vintage purchases up to this point.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

I don't plan on sampling anything new and just enjoying what I have for the next year. Only plan on purchasing 3 fragrances over the course of the year: Roja Parfums Creation E Pour Homme Parfum, Roja Parfums Danger Parfum Pour Homme, and MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait.
    Current Favorites:
    Roja Parfums Sweetie Aoud
    Creed Viking
    Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Xerjoff Naxos
    MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    It’s a start of a new DECADE that’s crazy, will be interesting what is in store for fragrances and houses in this coming decade. What are your plans for 2020 in regards to fragrances?

For me I plan to acquire a few more fragrances and am really looking forward to seeing where fragrances go. Chanel is a house I’m really hoping drops a very nice new masculine in the next year or more (something unique and sets a new direction or trend) in the fragrance world. I also plan to slow down a bit with purchasing outside of some backup bottles, get some bills in order that would otherwise be more fragrances ha. I’ve started collecting metal albums (cds) that Apple Music doesn’t offer for stream so some of that money will be going there to.
    Geez... it's early October. Clocks still in British Summer time
    Last edited by Democritus; 11th October 2019 at 02:56 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Upon thinking on this some more, I would like to dig in to some vintage stuff. The only reason I haven't done so yet is because it relies heavily on ebay sales, which always makes me cautious. I'm usually a bit too impatient with keeping my eyes in sellers and what's being listed, etc. It's a bit more of a time investment, so I've mostly stayed away from making vintage purchases up to this point.
    I made this my goal several years ago and found it a frustrating endeavor; never really knowing whether or not the juice was well-stored and in pristine condition, contacting sellers and trying to find out if their pictures match up with what they’re actually selling, lots of performance issues due to deterioration over time and/or poor storage, and so on.

Good luck!

Stay away from buying and see if like the wise buysblind I'm able to sell some from my hoard or give a few away for free that I've not touched in years, like 1 million and such...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I made this my goal several years ago and found it a frustrating endeavor; never really knowing whether or not the juice was well-stored and in pristine condition, contacting sellers and trying to find out if their pictures match up with what they’re actually selling, lots of performance issues due to deterioration over time and/or poor storage, and so on.

Good luck!
    Thanks. And exactly one of the reasons I'm hesitant to do it. When I'm ready, I'll probably start picking the brains of some of the vintage forum regulars. Really want to get some vintage Polo one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Really want to get some vintage Polo one of these days.
    I'm still trying to offload that small splash bottle of Cosmair Polo!

But, more seriously, buying vintage is a minefield. I haven't done much of it for that reason, but what ventures I have made into the vintage market have generally worked out well, perhaps because I've focused on nontraditional bottles and scents that aren't "high demand" options.

just to buy samples and use up what i already have,(i know this will never happen lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm still trying to offload that small splash bottle of Cosmair Polo!

But, more seriously, buying vintage is a minefield. I haven't done much of it for that reason, but what ventures I have made into the vintage market have generally worked out well, perhaps because I've focused on nontraditional bottles and scents that aren't "high demand" options.
    I should take you up on that. Alas, I am searching for a larger bottle and the sellers I have seen....I just don't get a good feeling about them. Too cautious.

My plan, which I've already started, is to refine my collection, not necessarily increase it. I only started seriously with fragrances a little over a year ago, and I'm still learning. There are some I currently own that I know will be in my collection long-term, and a few that, although I like them to various degrees, can be replaced with better alternatives. I definitely have more warm weather scents than cool/cold weather ones, so I need to round that out a bit. Ultimately, I'll probably wind up with a collection of between 10 and 15 total. That's enough variety for me to not be too repetitive in what I wear.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

My 2020 plans are to revamp my whole lineup and way of thinking. Not kidding.

I've been here 11 years and when I started it was more to find one great scent. Then I did a deep dive and sampled a ton. I realized I was more a fit for Creed or Designers than abstract perfumery. I also, over the years, settled in on a rotation of 5-8 scents...usually 5 and will change ones out from time to time. Right now I hit a lull and have my one mainstay Burberry London, my Italian souvenir Profumo di Stresa Legni...which I wear a lot...and 2 random ones from Fragonard while in France that I'm "meh" on but want to try for Winter. I also have Curve as a weekend cheapie. I used up AdG Profumo, Dior Homme Cologne, Varvatos Vintage, Bleecker St and Polo Blue Parfum

I turn 50 in February 2020 so my new revamp plan is to start from scratch and try and find some "gentleman" scents that fit my style and that can be future signatures that my kids remember me by. It may be something as simple GIT or going through a time of trying the old style bergamot and Italian gentleman lines etc. I'm just tired of going to the store and finding myself in the youthful aquatic guy area when I really want to be the dad that smells good guy. Plus I reinvented my profession again and this would fit. I just saw a thread on the gentleman scents. I'll take ideas.

Sorry for the length but I've been thinking this a bit and it hot me after seeing my Dad at 85 with Gucci PH I, Obsession and Safari sitting on his tray.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    My 2020 plans are to revamp my whole lineup and way of thinking. Not kidding.

I've been here 11 years and when I started it was more to find one great scent. Then I did a deep dive and sampled a ton. I realized I was more a fit for Creed or Designers than abstract perfumery. I also, over the years, settled in on a rotation of 5-8 scents...usually 5 and will change ones out from time to time. Right now I hit a lull and have my one mainstay Burberry London, my Italian souvenir Profumo di Stresa Legni...which I wear a lot...and 2 random ones from Fragonard while in France that I'm "meh" on but want to try for Winter. I also have Curve as a weekend cheapie. I used up AdG Profumo, Dior Homme Cologne, Varvatos Vintage, Bleecker St and Polo Blue Parfum

I turn 50 in February 2020 so my new revamp plan is to start from scratch and try and find some "gentleman" scents that fit my style and that can be future signatures that my kids remember me by. It may be something as simple GIT or going through a time of trying the old style bergamot and Italian gentleman lines etc. I'm just tired of going to the store and finding myself in the youthful aquatic guy area when I really want to be the dad that smells good guy. Plus I reinvented my profession again and this would fit. I just saw a thread on the gentleman scents. I'll take ideas.

Sorry for the length but I've been thinking this a bit and it hot me after seeing my Dad at 85 with Gucci PH I, Obsession and Safari sitting on his tray.
    I like this post. Very honest and easy. I seriously recommend to give Bois du Portugal, Royal Vintage and Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Homme a chance to become your signature. Well i would throw in Gucci Nobile aswell but as you have already stated in the other thread you screwed that one up but you could right the ship by aquiring a large 120 bottle, that would last you a long time. From what i read, i think you are the perfect personality to wear Bois du Portugal and Gucci Nobile as your signature fragrances.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    I like this post. Very honest and easy. I seriously recommend to give Bois du Portugal, Royal Vintage and Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Homme a chance to become your signature. Well i would throw in Gucci Nobile aswell but as you have already stated in the other thread you screwed that one up but you could right the ship by aquiring a large 120 bottle, that would last you a long time. From what i read, i think you are the perfect personality to wear Bois du Portugal and Gucci Nobile as your signature fragrances.
    Thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I really appreciate it and will look into what you suggested. Yes I screwed up on Nobile back then but I was in a phase where I was wanting to try so much that keeping a hard to find gem didn't occur to me. I did enjoy Bois Du Portugal when I sampled it in the past!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

My 2020 plans is to stock up on some discontinued Gucci's. GPH, Nobile, Rush

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I really appreciate it and will look into what you suggested. Yes I screwed up on Nobile back then but I was in a phase where I was wanting to try so much that keeping a hard to find gem didn't occur to me. I did enjoy Bois Du Portugal when I sampled it in the past!
    One of the best for me. Would never want to be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    My 2020 plans is to stock up on some discontinued Gucci's. GPH, Nobile, Rush
    Same. Strange coincidence.

I will finish off 2019 with the few things left to finish off my collection and then I'm done.

So 2020 I dont plan to buy anything fragrance wise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Same as this year. Continue with new bottle acquisitions from houses I collect and continue to prepare my grandson for the eventual take over of my entire collection.
    Approximately how big is the collection currently?
    Oriental and rose addict...

Blog Entries

I’ve found that I’ve already got a lot of the fragrances I really love, and all my newer acquisitions are just curiosity and self-education.

So this year, I’m planning to pick up some more classic designers like Aramis, Caron and Guerlain, but also finally start to downsize my collection and cut down on overlapping and redundant fragrances. There’s only *so* many rose/oud fragrances one needs.
    Oriental and rose addict...

Well, I know what I'd LIKE to do. I'd like to sell my entire wardrobe for $20,000.

Of course, things frequently don't turn out as you hoped they would.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Spent the last few months rounding out my collection with considerable success. One elusive bottle to go and I am done but for new releases from a select group of my favourite houses. Big slowdown and nearing one in, one out. Enjoy what I have and live vicariously through your posts on scents I have not experienced.
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Mistertaz View Post
    Approximately how big is the collection currently?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...=1#post4730485
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I will continue to trim my collection (it's slow going) and sample. I've already reduced bottle purchases to a trickle, and now I'm trying to be a little more targeted in my sampling as well. It's time-consuming to sample extensively, and once you hit a certain point, even the sampling starts to become repetitive. So I'm looking for a higher "hit rate" of especially positive or novel experiences.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Banned

I've revamped my 2020 plans a little and their now fairly simple:

1) By 2020 I hope to have sold everything that I have for sale in the marketplace now (whether through the market or if I have to use eBay). That will bring me down to 45 fragrances, which I'm basically at now since I've removed all sale items from my active wardrobe.

2) With a wardrobe of 45 that leaves me with room for 3 more fragrances (the max number I'll now allow myself to own at any one point). I plan to buy Initio Rehab and Absolute Aphrodisiac, and either Floris 1962 or Private Label. These are actually goals that I hope to have achieved before the end of 2019.

3) In 2020 I'll be sticking strictly with my 48 bottle wardrobe. At that point, before anything new comes into the wardrobe, at lest one bottle must go out. I've worked long and hard to get my wardrobe from an unmanageable 350 bottles to 48, which is the perfect number for me. I intend to keep it there in 2020.

4) Enjoy the 48 I have over the course of the year and sell off anything that I'd give less than 5 stars to along the way.

Keeping the total between 40 to 60 bottles. That's not too hard.

I do actually plan on wearing the best stuff more often. Burn, baby, burn.

Wear what I own, get rid of the ones that I got bored of (probably not many).

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I've revamped my 2020 plans a little and their now fairly simple:

1) By 2020 I hope to have sold everything that I have for sale in the marketplace now (whether through the market or if I have to use eBay). That will bring me down to 45 fragrances, which I'm basically at now since I've removed all sale items from my active wardrobe.

2) With a wardrobe of 45 that leaves me with room for 3 more fragrances (the max number I'll now allow myself to own at any one point). I plan to buy Initio Rehab and Absolute Aphrodisiac, and either Floris 1962 or Private Label. These are actually goals that I hope to have achieved before the end of 2019.

3) In 2020 I'll be sticking strictly with my 48 bottle wardrobe. At that point, before anything new comes into the wardrobe, at lest one bottle must go out. I've worked long and hard to get my wardrobe from an unmanageable 350 bottles to 48, which is the perfect number for me. I intend to keep it there in 2020.

4) Enjoy the 48 I have over the course of the year and sell off anything that I'd give less than 5 stars to along the way.
    Just curious, how did you arrive at 48, as opposed to, say, 50?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Just curious, how did you arrive at 48, as opposed to, say, 50?
    So that he can later give an excuse for blind-buying two more perfumes and 'rounding out' his collection to 50.
    Currently wearing: Style by Martine Micallef

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    So that he can later give an excuse for blind-buying two more perfumes and 'rounding out' his collection to 50.
    This makes perfect sense to me!
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Continue to dominate FragranceNet Used eBay listings (when they come up).
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store