Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: Your 2020 Fragrance Plans?

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    So that he can later give an excuse for blind-buying two more perfumes and 'rounding out' his collection to 50.
    Infallible logic!

My serious guess is 12 per season.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Just curious, how did you arrive at 48, as opposed to, say, 50?
    Haha...there's actually a reason behind it. This year I bought this really nice (well...Ikea nice) upright cabinet with a solid wooden door on the lower half and a clear glass door as the upper half. I bought it just for my fragrances. Anyway, the shelves on the bottom half are easy to access but not exactly easy to view from a normal upright position, so I decided there's really no sense in keeping my bottles there. But there are three shelves in the upper half that are basically right at eye level and easy to reach/display. On each shelf I can comfortably fit 16 bottles (four rows of four), they're spaced out nicely so that it's not too cramped and most are fairly easy to see. So, 3 shelves with 16 bottles on each...48 bottles. Right now I'm using the 3 bottom shelves for stuff I'm selling off, but once that's gone I'll probably just keep my boxes down there.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    So that he can later give an excuse for blind-buying two more perfumes and 'rounding out' his collection to 50.

You know me too well!

Keep on learning and exploring. Buy less, because I already have enough, and when I do, buy the things I love instead of "oh, it's quite a nice mini, might do for this summer" or "it costs next to nothing, so why not to get some joy out of it", because I already have enough of these. (Though I'll allow me some cheap thrills to keep it interesting - but not too often.) Finish the bottles and minis that I love less to make more space and time for the ones I love more. Keep on updating wears on SOTD feature, because I'm interested in seeing how the numbers shape up after a while and what they show me about my habits and preferences. Write more reviews/impressions. I see quite a lot of things that I test or often wear are lacking in reviews - my nose is far from the best or the most experienced, but at least some opinion on a perfume page is better than none. Also, it's nice to see these notes later to remind you of the scent and what you thought about it.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    My 2020 plans is to stock up on some discontinued Gucci's. GPH, Nobile, Rush
    Is Gucci one of your favorite houses?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Keeping the total between 40 to 60 bottles. That's not too hard.

I do actually plan on wearing the best stuff more often. Burn, baby, burn.
    What happened to the ChuckW who was strict on the 30 bottle limit?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

My goal is to buy nothing, only add fragrances by receiving them as gifts from my husband. :-) I’m not overly optimistic but I’m going to try.

2020 plan is pretty simple:

1. Add 3 bottles early on to get my wardrobe to 60 and then maintain a strict 'one-in-one-out' policy.

2. Sample, sample, sample, sample. For review purposes and to get to know more of what's currently out there. No more blind buys for Buysblind.

3. Keep collecting Slumberhouse.

That's it.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Starting January 1st, I'll be taking at least a six month break from Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Starting January 1st, I'll be taking at least a six month break from Basenotes.
    Any particular reason?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Any particular reason?
    I'll guess he's moving into bank account recovery mode... this place is like a good quality but expensive drug

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    I'll guess he's moving into bank account recovery mode... this place is like a good quality but expensive drug

A*Men to that.

Basenotes Member

I'm guessing thats the reason... lol...

I ordered ANOTHER 5 bottles from Frag... X yesterday..all blind..all information gleaned on here and cross referenced @ Fragrantica... why ! Cos it's teeth into me....

I don't have any specific plans, but should probably pare down the collection.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Any particular reason?
    I need a break.

I have a good collection of bottles that is about as satisfying a collection I'll assemble (I'm not saying it's perfect, but even if I swapped out every bottle in it for the best-possible-peer-fragrance from the greatest artisans in the world, it wouldn't necessarily bring me greater joy or contentment).

I need to stop accumulating stuff and just enjoy what I have. I also need to stop buying decants/samples. Decants/samples can be pretty expensive once you factor in shipping costs, and after a year of aggressive sampling it's time to put finances towards other things.

Being on here inspires curiosity and curiosity inspires temptation! That's why I'll be away.

Basenotes Plus

01. Finally settling on a nice cologne for summer. Contenders are Cologne Sologne and Haute Provence from Nicolaï, and Eau du Coq and Cologne du Parfumeur from Guerlain.

02. Get Mouchoir de Monsieur in at least the current formulation. Vintage would be nice, but only if I encounter one for a reasonable price.

03. Keep my eyes out for reasonably priced vintage back up bottles for: Heritage EdT, Habit Rouge (any concentration, but especially curious for the EdC) and Jicky.

04. Sampling a lot. Just for the fun of it and also to build a bigger "scent library" in my head.

well i just bought myself a watch that ive wanted for a long time for christmas, and it wasnt cheap. so goal for next year fragrance wise has now shifted to....nothing at least during the first quarter. maybe after that the guilt of buying what basically amounts to a very nice used vehicle will subside and ill look at adding more to the collection. i have a ton of samples still to go through anyway, probably will take at least a quarter of the year.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I'll probably pick up another new (modern) bottle of Fahrenheit once I finish my current modern one, probably sometime in the late spring or early summer. Other than that I've got everything I want.

I need a break.

I have a good collection of bottles that is about as satisfying a collection I'll assemble (I'm not saying it's perfect, but even if I swapped out every bottle in it for the best-possible-peer-fragrance from the greatest artisans in the world, it wouldn't necessarily bring me greater joy or contentment).

I need to stop accumulating stuff and just enjoy what I have. I also need to stop buying decants/samples. Decants/samples can be pretty expensive once you factor in shipping costs, and after a year of aggressive sampling it's time to put finances towards other things.

Being on here inspires curiosity and curiosity inspires temptation! That's why I'll be away.
    LOL...so true. I don't think a lot of people realize how expensive avid sampling can become. I'm also a firm believer in the periodic break...it keeps things fresh.

A*Men to that.
    Haha!!
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

I need a break.

Admirable and honest. If you find it harder than you'd imagined - or if anyone reading this feels they are struggling to resist the temptation of either reading this website (which then leads to buying more) or buying and trying generally - then I'd recommend trying some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy exercises to do with routines and 'triggers'. It all sounds big, scary, and dramatic, but CBT is honestly like a shortcut to cutting out negative behaviours, patterns, and thinking, and replacing them with betters ones (paired with other info as well). It's surprising how little we need to actually do to 'change', so to speak, when we know where to place our efforts - willpower is generally a pretty useless way of moderating change, so yeah...if you or anyone reading this finds the urge too great, keep going, keep trying, and/or look in to CBT. There should be some easy resources - like a table or chart - you can download online that can help.

Only plans I have are to keep my eyes open for vintage designers, but this activity is showing diminishing returns as they get scarcer and more expensive.
    No interest in current stuff with the very occasional exception and no interest in paying niche prices.
    I may never buy another fragrance again.

On that note, I think I'll be doing the same as Brooks.

My plan is this: I've now definitely finished my search. It's not perfect, but it's mine. My one big question is whether to consider Aventus as part of my small collection - the cost says no. I have a sample of a non-fruity Aventus clone on the way, Amber by Laboratory Perfumes, and that may be a happy medium. Failing that, it involves buying the new signature line Beau de Jour by Tom Ford, buying up a few first formulation bottles of that if it's great, and then continuing to sell off all the bottles I've still got handing around which I know haven't made the cut.

May or may not delete this and/or my fragrantica accounts as part of drawing a line under this. Hopefully don't take this the wrong way, but as much as this is a great forum with lots of intelligent, articulate, welcoming, and interesting people, it definitely is a trigger and goes a long way to normalising the 'and what's next?' mindset that feeds off novelty.

The last thing I am tempted to do is a 'quest for incense' but I'm really not sure. It would be cool and fun to kind of round off this search in a less intense, more enjoyable way, going about sampling one type of scent to try and find something that's better than Cardinal by James Heeley. But then I'd still be on here, on this site, and that might encourage looking for a boozy-spicy scent which I don't really have (Fortitude by Robert Graham came closest, but I'm not convinced I need it) in my collection. And it can be easy to then start looking for another woody scent, and re-evaluating my citrus scent, or my aquatic, and...and...and...

So yeah, I'll probably follow Brooks' lead here and if I do delete my account, sorry guys, nothing personal at all!

Wear the great twice as much. Clear out the mediocre ruthlessly.

I'm hoping to find the time to put together something useful for fragheads. That's all I can say. It will take a lot of time, but, at the end of the day, it'll be another business to start and then I can perhaps start claiming my purchases on my taxes. I've discussed it with one person here who thought it's a great idea with an obvious built-in target. We'll see... I have too many ambitions and not enough hours in the day sometimes.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    01. Finally settling on a nice cologne for summer. Contenders are Cologne Sologne and Haute Provence from Nicolaï, and Eau du Coq and Cologne du Parfumeur from Guerlain.

02. Get Mouchoir de Monsieur in at least the current formulation. Vintage would be nice, but only if I encounter one for a reasonable price.

03. Keep my eyes out for reasonably priced vintage back up bottles for: Heritage EdT, Habit Rouge (any concentration, but especially curious for the EdC) and Jicky.

04. Sampling a lot. Just for the fun of it and also to build a bigger "scent library" in my head.
    Good planning! It's seems like fun to have a focus on a couple favorite houses, Guerlain for classics, Nicolai for niche.

Basenotes Plus

Great topic. Have been giving this some thought over the last few weeks.
    June of 2019 I joined Basenotes and so began my new hobby. Have gone from zero to thirty five fragrances in 2019.
    Began buying fragrances mostly after sampling, others because of bloodlines, reviews, and forum posts.
    All in all not a bad start happy with 30 of my 35 fragrances. I was in a hurry to create a wardrobe, I now have one. PATIENCE IN 2020.

Here are some lessons I have learned along the way and hope to apply in 2020

1. Avoid impulse buying, fragrance will still be there the following day. There is always another sale.......
    2.There are good and bad fragrances in all price categories........ do not buy cheap because they are cheap or expensive because they are expensive.
    3. Do not judge a fragrance until I have worn a minimum 3 times......Some I didn't care for after first wear are now among my favorites and vice versa.
    4. Continue to use SOTD as a research tool and not as a purchasing guide......
    5. Last but not least as someone shared with me here on basenotes at the start of my purchasing ...... buy fragrances that you love, not the ones you just like........Great advice!.
    Last edited by newatthis66; 26th December 2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: TYPO

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post
    Here are some things I have learned along the way and hope to apply to future purchase decisions:

1. Avoid impulse buying, fragrance will still be there the following day. There is always another sale.......
    2.There are good and bad fragrances in all price categories........ do not buy cheap because they are cheap or expensive because they are expensive.
    3. Do not judge a fragrance until I have worn a minimum 3 times......Some I didn't care for after first wear are now among my favorites and vice versa.
    4. Continue to use SOTD as a research tool and not as a purchasing guide......
    5. Last but not least as someone shared with me here on basenotes at the start of my purchasing ...... buy fragrances that you love, not the ones you just like.
    Excellent guidelines, all of which I ignored in 2019. I plan to adopt #3 in 2020.

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Admirable and honest. If you find it harder than you'd imagined - or if anyone reading this feels they are struggling to resist the temptation of either reading this website (which then leads to buying more) or buying and trying generally - then I'd recommend trying some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy exercises to do with routines and 'triggers'. It all sounds big, scary, and dramatic, but CBT is honestly like a shortcut to cutting out negative behaviours, patterns, and thinking, and replacing them with betters ones (paired with other info as well). It's surprising how little we need to actually do to 'change', so to speak, when we know where to place our efforts - willpower is generally a pretty useless way of moderating change, so yeah...if you or anyone reading this finds the urge too great, keep going, keep trying, and/or look in to CBT. There should be some easy resources - like a table or chart - you can download online that can help.
    I like this post... a lot. I know some “dieters” who make a practice of defusing triggers through controlled exposure. I might look into this for other unwanted thoughts and behaviors I have, not perfume or diet related.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues

Sillage Monster

My 2020 Fragrance Plan is this: finish one bottle completely.

A modest goal, but achievable. Hopefully it will create momentum to finish more or manage/enjoy my collection in other unforeseen ways as well.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues

I think I still need one back-up bottle of vintage Egoiste, vintage Yohji Homme and 80's Mouchoir de Monsieur. And maybe two more large bottles of Gucci Nobile.

slpfrsly, I think you should start your incense quest by sampling Unum LAVS. It's a clear step forward from Avignon. I would also not quit Basenotes just yet. You'll find the balance.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast