Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
o

Default Re: Your 2020 Fragrance Plans?

After reading all these very thoughtful posts and thinking about where my perfume collection is at, I have a list of a few things I plan to buy in January, then I would like to take a break of 9 months from buying bottles. I tend to be impulsive, so I’m going to make notes and lists during the nine months and then possibly a few more well-thought-out purchases at the end of 2020. It would be nice to get more deliberate about my collection. I’m aware that my two main triggers are discounts and reformulation/discontinuation/limited edition situations, so I want to work on controlling those. Will look into the CBT that was mentioned above.

Great posts on this thread. I think many of us feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of fragrances out there to try, and the tide of new releases just rises faster and faster. It's easy to go into FOMO mode and try to sample and/or acquire more than is reasonable. The temptations are mighty when participating here.

Speaking as someone who has taken multiple multi-year breaks from this site in the past, sometimes consciously, and sometimes due to a simple waning of interest, I fully understand the motivations of those who are taking sabbaticals. You will be missed, and I sincerely hope you'll return!

Here on round 3 or 4 or whatever it is of my own Basenotes journey, I think I've finally figured out for myself how to downshift into a long-term sustainable gear, relying almost entirely on very limited and targeted sampling - and participating in sample passes, of course, which are a joy. It's true that after a point, true novelty is rare, so a big shift for me has been moving from novelty-seeking to just plain enjoying the act of smelling, thinking about, and talking about nice scents, with no further agenda in mind.

So I guess my final 2020 goal is to keep in that headspace and not slide into an acquisitive place. Like Brooks says, a small buying streak can easily become habitual, and then mindless.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Chêne by Serge Lutens

Your 2020 Fragrance Plans?
    I'll thoroughly check which perfumes from my collection I really like and which ones I just like. I'll sell the ones that are not excellent (10/10), or very good (9/10, 8/10).

I'll note which perfumes I like when is hot and also when it's cold, and which perfumes I like only when it's hot or only when is cold. This is for avoiding selling perfumes that I like. I made a few mistakes.

I will buy perfumes only from my wishlist, IN THAT ORDER, without skiping the queue.
    No more impulse buying. No more buying the last (good) discovered perfume.

Some perfumes from my wishlist I know very well. I'm shure I love them.
    When I have doubts, I'll buy 2 ml sample. 1 ml is not enough. I have to be sure.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I finally made new fragrance purchases in th 4th quarter of this year after taking a 3.5-year break from new fragrance purchases. The length of time wasn’t planned. I wanted to enjoy what I have and had no desire to buy anything after falling into the fragrance journey rabbit hole with niche and artisan perfumes. I don’t have a large collection compared to others (although more than enough for me) but I do understand the feeling to take a sabbatical.

For 2020, after much reflection I do plan to make some purchases to round out my collection and season coverage. The focus will be 1) on expanding my Chanel and Dior collection, adding some Guerlain etc. 2) niche purchases only after sampling especially from brands I’m already familiar with 3) enjoy the fragrances in my collection. I’m working on a wishlist for next year and my purchases will come from there.
    Last edited by sstoni; 28th December 2019 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Well, I've been hoping to slow down a bit, but I'll be in New York for MLK weekend, so I'll be planning on stopping at Scent Bar, Osswald, and Aedes, among other places. And then there's always duty free at the airport. Who knows what will happen? (Actually, I think we all know what will happen.)
    Yes, be sure to stop by Osswald! They’re very friendly and helpful. Great place.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

All Is Beautiful

2020 will be when I launch my own perfumes and gels and soaps.

I was never wearing perfume ever in my life until around Sept 2018 and since then I have acquired maybe 400 bottles, LOL including attars. I have them spread between my two homes.

Now I’m a total addict.

It’s been a fun ride. I will be monetizing my “investment” one way or another.

That’s my excuse anyway.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Default Your 2020 Fragrance Plans?

Only one thing planned so far: a bottle of Elysium Parfum Cologne that will be here as the new year arrives.

However, a local store is about to add Tom Ford Private Blends. In fact, they may be in by now. I already have and love Tuscan Leather, but I’m definitely open to trying others in the line. Need to test Oud Minerale, for one. And on my next trip to Chicago (which has been delayed many times due to circumstances beyond my control), I plan to check out various niche offerings. (Hopefully the hotel stocks Maison Margiela Replica: Jazz Club for toiletries. Love that fragrance, and I’ve seen it stocked in two Chicago hotels.)

The new rule for 2020 fragrance acquisitions, and it starts with Elysium: A need for workplace friendly scents. In no way should my SOTD interfere with office activities or visitors to our offices. And workplace friendly doesn’t have to mean bland!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

My plan for 2019 was to scale down my wardrobe. That was a success. There were a few new editions but mainly stuff going out the door. I'm pretty happy with what I have so if I run low I will probably just look to replace what I have. The only fragrance that is on my radar is Santa Maria Novella Patchouli. It's a fragrance I have been meaning to check out for a while but haven't managed to get a hold of it. Otherwise I see it being pretty low key.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    2020 will be when I launch my own perfumes and gels and soaps.

I was never wearing perfume ever in my life until around Sept 2018 and since then I have acquired maybe 400 bottles, LOL including attars. I have them spread between my two homes.

Now I’m a total addict.

It’s been a fun ride. I will be monetizing my “investment” one way or another.

That’s my excuse anyway.
    I want in. Some product testing, at least.

Basenotes Plus

I was never wearing perfume ever in my life until around Sept 2018 and since then I have acquired maybe 400 bottles, LOL including attars.
    You bought 400 bottles in 14 months? That might be some kind of record.

2020 will be when I launch my own perfumes [...].
    He he! Me too.
    Will you create your own scents? Will you work with a perfumer? Or will you bottle perfumes which are already on the market (OEM)?
    In what price range will be the perfumes?
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Same as this year. Obtaining samples is more my thing now. Only purchased one bottle this year. My interest in fragrances is the same, but my urge to spend has changed.
    Almost the very same, except that I didn't buy a single scent this year. With 4 grandchildren, one should always know the best place for one's money...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I think I still have time to catch up.
    Currently wearing: Rose Ishtar by Rania J

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I think I still have time to catch up.
    It's not a contest! (But I still wouldn't bet against you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I need a break.

I have a good collection of bottles that is about as satisfying a collection I'll assemble (I'm not saying it's perfect, but even if I swapped out every bottle in it for the best-possible-peer-fragrance from the greatest artisans in the world, it wouldn't necessarily bring me greater joy or contentment).

I need to stop accumulating stuff and just enjoy what I have. I also need to stop buying decants/samples. Decants/samples can be pretty expensive once you factor in shipping costs, and after a year of aggressive sampling it's time to put finances towards other things.

Being on here inspires curiosity and curiosity inspires temptation! That's why I'll be away.
    Sober man, good to read.

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    I will buy perfumes only from my wishlist, IN THAT ORDER, without skiping the queue.
    No more impulse buying. No more buying the last (good) discovered perfume.
    Dude, I am feeling this so much right now. Even having just cracked 20 bottles, upon reflection there are far too many impulse buys on my shelf. Some of them were great and I don't regret them, but I really need to plan out my budget much more effectively over the next 6 months to have a range that will suit my goals without putting me on an enforced instant ramen diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yes, be sure to stop by Osswald! They’re very friendly and helpful. Great place.
    Oh, I've been already. Great place. It was there where I finally got to try Profumum Roma last January (and it has since become one of my favorite niche houses). The service was wonderful. Impossible to leave without getting something.

All Is Beautiful

perhaps. But I have to catch up with Hednic eventually. I look at this as my hobby for the next 60 years.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    He he! Me too.
    Will you create your own scents? Will you work with a perfumer? Or will you bottle perfumes which are already on the market (OEM)?
    In what price range will be the perfumes?
    can't really answer all this now...it shall unfold. Thank you!!

Basenotes Plus

It's not a contest! (But I still wouldn't bet against you.)
    If it were a contest, I would be much better off losing! I've acquired roughly 200 fragrances in about 6 months. This is not a sustainable pace, nor was it ever intended to be.

My plan is to burn thru samples and get my dresser and armoire cleared(same as last year) Or at least have less. LOL
    I'd really enjoy getting my nose on some of Carven's new Voyage Collection, such as Paris La Havane.

Im kind of new to the hobby but really went a bit crazy with decants and full bottles lately, at least for my standards. Going from two frags to half a dozen or more full bottles and a dozen decants including niche stuff. I’d like to wear what I have collected so far for the next few months until spring arrives, sample when the weather is warmer and maybe buy one niche full bottle half way through the year.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Nothing has really been calling to me, so I think I’ve moved into one of those phases where I’m just wearing and enjoying what I already own.
    My fragrance budget will be repurposed for tea.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Really looking forward to attempting a no-buy/low-buy 2020. I have so many amazing fragrances and so many samples that I'm choosing to stand pat and enjoy these while funneling the saved money towards larger financial goals this year. I'll still sock away a little allowance for a couple houses that trigger my FOMO fiercely but for 2020 I'm pretty much out of the buying game.

Basenotes Plus

My plumber just told me how much it would cost to fix my busted shower (which started leaking into the pantry), so my fragrance plans for now are to cool my jets. Probably wise anyway.

I plan on 2020 being a year where I use my brain much more than my noses insatiable hunger for new fragrances. I've been buying at an unhealthy pace and will be slowing way down which is not a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Starting January 1st, I'll be taking at least a six month break from Basenotes.
    Have done this. I think I took even longer breaks. Liked it. But I always need to come back. I’m always learning something with the breaks and the returns, specially the breaks.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

One goal is to acquire a vintage Polo. That's about it. I'm going to continue to acquire more scents but I'm going to try to do so more economically.
    Most of my purchases in 2019 were at retail. I always had coupons and discounts to use but I would have paid so much less if I did it online.
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 2nd January 2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I’ve been all about vintage feminines, but now I’ve got an interest in all the fantastic vintage masculines, as well as new stuff from independent perfumers.

I hope to focus on solidifying my vintage fragrance preferences and strip my collection to just those I love, and maybe get a few backups. I still have a few fun vintage fragrance projects planned for myself that focus on lesser or obscure houses.

I have a hoard of minis that need to be tried and either adopted or gotten rid of.

This year I’ll try dragging myself into the present by adding more sample opportunities for recent releases, and I’ll do more research on fragrances from the last two decades.

By year end I’d liked to have established a habit of writing notes for every fragrance I try upon the second wearing. And I would like to smell more raw fragrance materials.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Imprévu by Coty

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    I’ve been all about vintage feminines, but now I’ve got an interest in all the fantastic vintage masculines, as well as new stuff from independent perfumers.

I hope to focus on solidifying my vintage fragrance preferences and strip my collection to just those I love, and maybe get a few backups. I still have a few fun vintage fragrance projects planned for myself that focus on lesser or obscure houses.

I have a hoard of minis that need to be tried and either adopted or gotten rid of.

This year I’ll try dragging myself into the present by adding more sample opportunities for recent releases, and I’ll do more research on fragrances from the last two decades.

By year end I’d liked to have established a habit of writing notes for every fragrance I try upon the second wearing. And I would like to smell more raw fragrance materials.
    I love this plan, and your enthusiasm. It sounds like a multi-year project, and a fun one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast