Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Which two non-niche affordable fragrances would you add to bring my collection to six?

As you see, I have been taking advice, and those who were recommending Azzaro PH to me, will be pleased to know that since my sense of smell returned to normal, I agree with you that this is a lovely fragrance. It isn't for daily wear with me, and I came by stages to like it, not all at once. It grew on me...and so...thanks for that.

So now, this is where I'm at -

Eau Sauvage EDT
    Azzaro PH

and..coming soon from the USA....

Caron Pour Un Homme
    Caron Third Man.

This seems like a good start to me, and to comply with domestic regulations in my house that six should be my limit, at least for a while,

which two do you think I could add, in a month or two, to those above? I would love to blow $500 on Amouage Lyric Man and Beach Man,

or maybe Nobile 1942 Patchouli and Mousse Illuminee, but these delights will have to wait until a bit further down the line.

For now, I'd like to settle for two not quite so exquisite, not niche, but decent affordable scents for daily wear in a climate which tends to be quite hot and on the humid side.

( My Ted Lapidus has been put into storage, because it's just too musty and heavy. The Eau Sauvage is perfect for this climate).

Anything spring to mind to go well with my Carons? Maybe Bel Ami ?

Thx.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Which two non-niche affordable fragrances would you add to bring my collection to six?

Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Nicolai New York Intense
    Boucheron Pour Homme
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee - great year round but wears well in warmer temperatures too!

All can be had for reasonable prices and all deliver in quality.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Which two non-niche affordable fragrances would you add to bring my collection to six?

For what it’s worth, I picked up Lyric and Beach Hut for a grand combined total of just under $250usd. Both big bottles. So you don’t have to drop $500 if they’re something your extremely interested in. Deals can be found. Lyric was a Made in Oman bottle and BH was Made in UK.

But I do understand the general line of thinking for easy to wear spring time fragrances. Two that come to mind are Penhaligon’s Castile and Juniper Sling. Both work equally well in spring and summer. Castile is an excellent neroli fragrance that finishes with a soapy clean edge. Juniper Sling has a sparkle to it and was originally created to cover up the smell of someone who’d been drinking. Or at least that’s what sales associates seem to think.

I live in a climate that’s hot and humid most of the year. You could browse through my wardrobe and get some ideas. Most items in my wardrobe work well for hot and humid areas. Most, not all. Bel Ami isn’t what you need during that time, although it’s an exceptional leather masterpiece. It’s also one of my favorite scents of all time, even though my weather isn’t conducive to wearing it often. If leather is your thing, there are several that work better for my climate - leaning suede or smelling like a leather purse or baseball glove.

I’d also suggest browsing threads for favorite/best ‘spring’ and ‘summer’ fragrances. There are also threads on ‘cheapies’ that have many items that would work for you.

Regards
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

For humid weather and to give you some variety from what you have (and both are SUPER affordable):

Ralph Lauren Polo Ultra Blue
    Chanel Allure Home Sport
    Currently Rotating:

*Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

For hot an humid weather, I always think about vetivers, which smell green and fresh. Mainstream examples are the Guerlain and the Carven.

Bel Ami is very good and classic, but as said it's leathery, so not exactly fresh.

cacio

You absolutely have to get Aramis Havana. It's a classic that aligns perfectly with your tastes and is at its best in humid weather.

Attachment 110272
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    This would be a good one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Indeed Héritage (+3) is a must have! (as is Antaeus)...
    [Btw: your collection is already eight!]

a quarter million, tops

I feel like whenever it is humid I want something dry, even moreso than usual. My recommendation is

Terre d'Hermes EDT.

It is dry and citric. You seem to like classic things, and the Heritage EDT is right up your alley. Aside, it is also great. But I was thinking of trying to make sure my recommendation was something that kept the classic flair, while bringing the scent more up to date.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Also adding:

Lalique Homme EDP (decent to downright fantastic value for money, both regarding its performance and its actual scent) as an all weather solution, especially when temperatures get colder but not inappropriate for warmer ones

Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche, again a fragrance often available for little money and perhaps even more appropriate as a zesty, fresh, almost airy choice for warm and/or humid weather

Basenotes Plus

I would like to give a +1 for Guerlain Heritage EdT, Guerlain Vetiver (my go to for hot and humid weather) and Aramis Havana.
    Furthermore I would like to throw in Houbigant Fougere Royale and Houbigant Cologne Intense.

I think all of these will go great with hot and humid weather and won't break the bank. The Guerlains and Aramis you should be able to easily find below $50,- (the Aramis probably more around the $20,- mark), and Fougere Royale and Cologne Intense can usually be found for around $70,- if you look around for a bit.

Maybe important to notice; all of the above fragrances are fantastic, regardless of their price. Even if priced the same, I would go for Heritage (for example) before any Amouage personally.

Eau sauvage is a great citrus aromatic
    Azarro ph classic fougere
    Caron ol school lavender

Instead of getting more that are similar, i would recomend getting something different to round off the collection. Perhaps a floral like habit rouge or bvlgari pour homme.
    Or maybe some woody like wonderwood or even paco rabbane ph.
    Guerlain vetiver also adds a nice green and earthy element.
    Or something clean and soapy like mugler cologne.
    VIntage Bel ami is a great leather scent but hard to find. Ur better off with the new bel ami vetiver. Or bottega veneta pour home edt is a good entry level leather thats easy to wear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I’d also definitely recommend you trying Guerlain Homme L’eau Boisée. It’s very affordable and a wonderful warm weather fragrance.

To add to your list. I'd say habit rouge edt - this alongside pour un homme are possibly (imo) the 2 most elegant male fragrances.

And then to add something else that's quite easy to wear - dunhill icon. Don't see it mentioned much tbh, but I was amazed at the quality of it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

+1 Guerlain Vetiver - citrus, vetiver, tobacco
    +1 Aramis Havana - tobacco, leather
    +1 Bottega Veneta pH EdT (I want to like this, but it doesn't work too well for me up north - the notes might bloom in warmer places)
    - wood, leather

Sorted.

Much as I love leather frags, I suspect both Bel Ami and Bel Ami Vetiver would be too heavy for your climate. I even think Habit Rouge and Heritage might be too much.
    However, BNers living in similar places to you might have better suggestions for lighter leathers.
    November rotation - incense and smoke : Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Piguet Casbah; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Etro Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit; Odin 07 Tanoke; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tom Daxon Resin Sacra; Tauer Incense Extreme

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

+1 on Guerlain Vetiver and Aramis Havana.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme
    Prada Luna Rossa

Considering your wardrobe:

YSL Opium pour Homme
    Chanel Antaeus

Best,
    BruceB

I would add a good vetiver (earthy ones are Route du Vetiver orbAnnick Goutal Vetiver) orva good leather (vtg Bel Ami, Knize Ten etc). Or a good floral - Nino Cerruti Uomo or others.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Junkie

What a nice thread to wake up to on my day off. In fact it made me do a little very corny Irish jig around the dog. Thank you!

It's definitely given me some great ideas to mull on my day off, which is the only day I have enough space in my brain for this.....Hmmmmm.....The Aramis Havana would certainly seem to fit the image and location....Nica is in the Caribbean after all.....I always wanted to try Heritage and that Penhaligon Neroli sounds exquisite.....

but I am printing this, and all ideas go into the great ideas blender. Cheers again from sunny Granada.

Freed from BN Institution

In addition to Antaeus, I'd recommend Chanel Pour Monsieur, it's a great classic to have.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35