Code of Conduct

Default Maison Margiela thoughts

When I noticed that Maison Margiela (specifically at Sephora) had a sampler box with travel size sprays (10ml) of three of their fragrances that I had wanted to try (Jazz Club, By the Fireplace, and Whispers at the Library), I was eager to give them a try.

I picked up the box last week, and have been trying the fragrances this past week. I very much enjoy Jazz Club, it's probably going to be a full-bottle buy for me. I like By the Fireplace, but not quite as much as Jazz Club. For Whispers in the Library, today's the first full-day wear. I like it, but it's much more subdued than either of the other two.

It's a very interesting house to me. These 3 fragrances in particular come across as quality, unique scents.

What are other peoples' thoughts?

Default Re: Maison Margiela thoughts

Kind of interesting, but also pretty overrated. Definitely better than most of the stuff that can be found in Sephora, though.

I haven't smelled a Maison Margiela scent I liked well enough to buy, to be honest. There's some stuff in there that's innocuous, but it all seems pretty overpriced. It's designer-grade quality sold at niche pricing. There's nothing in the lineup that isn't done better elsewhere.

By the Fireplace is nauseating. Acutely sweet marshmallow mixed with a barbecue grill effect. Bleccch.

Jazz Club is innocuous. It's really just another vanillic Spicebomb-y thing that is deathly afraid of being interesting. I know some folks love it, but I don't understand why given the abundance of options in this lane in designer and niche tiers.

And that's really my problem with everything I've tried: there are countless better alternatives, some cheaper, some more expensive. At the Barber's, for example, is just another barbershop fougere; it's not unpleasant, but it's hardly exceptional, even in a "for the price" way.

This house seems to exist to sell mass-appealing, quasi-niche scents with designer-grade components. Sure, it's better than some of the other imposter niche stuff you find at Sephora, but I think a savvy consumer, which is to say us Basenoters who are more aware of obscure releases, can do considerably better.

I haven't tried the Library one.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    What are other peoples' thoughts?
    I have tried many from the house and think they are all quite pleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think for the amount of scents they have, some are good. The success rate is acceptable. Jazz Club is definitely a good one, as is Under The Lemon Trees if a tea-like citrus is your thing.

It's all down to taste I know some people like By The Fireplace a lot, I wonder if it is city folk who don't often have a bonfire, because to me it stinks a lot like that which is a smell you normally want to get off clothing, plus there is something about it that can make it a bit unbearable to wear.

Whispers in the Library is ok, a little subdued with nothing special about it but sometimes that's all you want. Sailing Day is pretty decent too for its type as is At The Barbers.

Overall they are pretty decent, and in the UK you can get them for £70 - £75 from an online supplier and get £10 off your first order. So for example Jazz Club is a pretty attractive buy at £60.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    It's all down to taste I know some people like By The Fireplace a lot, I wonder if it is city folk who don't often have a bonfire, because to me it stinks a lot like that which is a smell you normally want to get off clothing, plus there is something about it that can make it a bit unbearable to wear.
    I live in the city now, but I grew up in rural Kansas where bonfires were definitely a thing. To me, By the Fireplace doesn't really smell like a bonfire. It just smells like someone's idea of what it smells like to roast marshmallows by a fire that was turned into a chemical that you can spray to scent the air. Totally fake smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I live in the city now, but I grew up in rural Kansas where bonfires were definitely a thing. To me, By the Fireplace doesn't really smell like a bonfire. It just smells like someone's idea of what it smells like to roast marshmallows by a fire that was turned into a chemical that you can spray to scent the air. Totally fake smelling.
    Yeah, it's an aromachemical stew. It doesn't smell anything like real woodsmoke.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    I think for the amount of scents they have, some are good. The success rate is acceptable. Jazz Club is definitely a good one, as is Under The Lemon Trees if a tea-like citrus is your thing.

Whispers in the Library is ok, a little subdued with nothing special about it but sometimes that's all you want. Sailing Day is pretty decent too for its type as is At The Barbers.

Overall they are pretty decent, and in the UK you can get them for £70 - £75 from an online supplier and get £10 off your first order. So for example Jazz Club is a pretty attractive buy at £60.
    Best price I saw them for the UK was low £70s or high £60s from Parfumdreams - that place tends not to be that cheap but it can be if you take a look at their site often.

Jazz club I dislike
    By the fireplace was pretty nice
    At the barbers is my favorite so far
    Currently wearing: Pure XS by Paco Rabanne

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I was not super enthused by the ones I've tried thus far.
    oh look, I have a signature

At the Barbers is very nice and clean
    Jazz Club is decent
    Whispers is ok, but could be better if more bold
    Fireplace is definitely what others are saying with the marshmallow thing, but I find it nice

It’s a very safe, non offensive house.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I haven't smelled a Maison Margiela scent I liked well enough to buy, to be honest. There's some stuff in there that's innocuous, but it all seems pretty overpriced. It's designer-grade quality sold at niche pricing. There's nothing in the lineup that isn't done better elsewhere.

By the Fireplace is nauseating. Acutely sweet marshmallow mixed with a barbecue grill effect. Bleccch.

Jazz Club is innocuous. It's really just another vanillic Spicebomb-y thing that is deathly afraid of being interesting. I know some folks love it, but I don't understand why given the abundance of options in this lane in designer and niche tiers.

And that's really my problem with everything I've tried: there are countless better alternatives, some cheaper, some more expensive. At the Barber's, for example, is just another barbershop fougere; it's not unpleasant, but it's hardly exceptional, even in a "for the price" way.

This house seems to exist to sell mass-appealing, quasi-niche scents with designer-grade components. Sure, it's better than some of the other imposter niche stuff you find at Sephora, but I think a savvy consumer, which is to say us Basenoters who are more aware of obscure releases, can do considerably better.

Well put.

Sephora has a bunch of these type of brands, all prominently displayed for the soccer moms to peruse.

Banned

I have only smelled 5 of his fragrances. Two of these were florals so I disliked those right away, not because they were bad i just don’t like florals. I tried Jazz Club also and it’s a full bottle buy for me. I also tried By the Fireplace and it’s a full bottle buy, however one I would wear sparingly. My fav was Under the Lemon Trees and it’s a gem. Maybe the perfect warm weather scent. I want to try At the Barbers as it’s probably something I will like. Overall for me, it’s a favorable vote for this house.

Of the ones I've sampled, Jazz Club is my favorite and is on my buy list. I'd like to sample Under The Lemon Tree but have not seen it at our stores.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pretty redundant offerings IMO

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post

More or less my thoughts as well.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

I wish Maison Margiela's "Untitled" was available at Sephora. It's quite good.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I own one - Music Festival - only because I bought it for $5 at Goodwill. It's a heavy smoky patchouli. It's not bad but it gets kind of overbearing after a while. I kinda like By The Fireplace, but not at the prices they're asking (even on discounters). The only one I've genuinely thought about buying a full bottle of is Soul of the Forest, which is a brisk, green pine/fir scent, but as others have noted, there are other houses doing similar stuff that is better composed and cheaper in some cases.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Love By The Fireplace, niche quality from a designer house and great value for money.

I wasn't that impressed with most of the releases from MMM I've sniffed so far - but I like Jazz Club and By the Fireplace a lot!

To my nose By the Fireplace isn't that smokey, it's more a very nice vanilla scent with hints of smoke.

And I don't see Jazz Club as a boozy scent - it's more a refined version of D&G The One. It's synthetic yes, but in a very appealing way, I like the drydown and the base so much - sniff the collar of your t-shirt the next day after having worn Jazz Club - It's so well done and I wish, there were more Designer fragrances like that one out there.
    I often wear Jazz Club in summer afternoons and evenings as it also reminds me a little bit of the smell of suntan lotion as I get some coconut nuances. Don't know if coconut is listed in the notes pyramide.

What is more worthy to buy? By the fireplace, tom ford Ombre leather, Noir Extreme or Mancera Red tobacco? they are in the same price range where i live.

I need a distinctive Fragrence for special occasions, maybe for a date (for RT, I will maybe spray it 4 hours on clothes before going out)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naw View Post
    What is more worthy to buy? By the fireplace, tom ford Ombre leather, Noir Extreme or Mancera Red tobacco? they are in the same price range where i live.

I need a distinctive Fragrence for special occasions, maybe for a date (for RT, I will maybe spray it 4 hours on clothes before going out)

Thanks
    Don't but any of them before trying them, they are all quite different!

I think By The Fireplace is likely more polarising than Jazz Club, so if it is going to be a MMM based on advice not audition then Jazz Club is a safer bet.

Thanks
    Beside the advice to wear what you feel comfortable with I wouldn't recommend any of those for a date scent.

By The Fireplace is perceived as smokey/dirty by some women
    Ombre Leather has a leather note which may turn off some women
    Noir Extreme is rather "perfumey" smelling and maybe leans a little bit to the feminine side
    Red Tobacco is too strong and opens up very complex and harsh.

If I had to chose one out of these, I would probably take Ombre Leather, but that would be a hit or miss.

Great concept, and the perfume does smell like each of the themes, but seems they overspent on concept and branding but scrounged on the quality of ingredients

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Beside the advice to wear what you feel comfortable with I wouldn't recommend any of those for a date scent.

By The Fireplace is perceived as smokey/dirty by some women
    Ombre Leather has a leather note which may turn off some women
    Noir Extreme is rather "perfumey" smelling and maybe leans a little bit to the feminine side
    Red Tobacco is too strong and opens up very complex and harsh.

If I had to chose one out of these, I would probably take Ombre Leather, but that would be a hit or miss.
    This is a great post and I 100% see where you're coming from.

(Although the only thing I'd change in it is that no way would I choose Ombre Leather!)

Thanks for the advice,

It's not possible to sample where I live, there is no Sephora etc, except for mainstream designers fragrences.

Thanks
    Of those, I think Red Tobacco is the best, but it seems to be pretty polarizing. I don't have any problems with the opening at all.

I guess my next choice would be Noir Extreme.

My favorite of the Margiela Replica line is Soul of the Forest. It's like a nice backpacking trip in an alpine forest--balsam fir, moss, wet lichen covered stone, whiff of campfire (from incense notes I presume), fresh mountain air. Something about it reminds me a bit of TF Oud Minerale, with less of an aquatic vibe. I also like Jazz Club and By the Fireplace, but SOTF is the most complex and interesting to me. They don't carry it in Sephora for some reason I can't fathom.