Code of Conduct

Default [Advice] Patchouli: Mazzolari vs. Lorenzo Villoresi

Hello,

I'm looking for a good patchouli frag and have been trying as many as I could. So far the ones I've liked best are the iterations from Profumum Roma and Villoresi, but I find the first one too expensive and the Villoresi's longevity -- or lack thereof -- has put me off ordering it until now.

Here are a few more I've tried:
    - Santa Maria Novella: excellent, but there's a floral note (rose?) that I'm not too fond of.
    - Borneo 1834: very good, but a bit sweet and chocolatey.
    - Molinard Patchouli: good, but too much vanilla
    - Tom Ford: strong dislike. Too "masculine", smells like aftershave.
    - Reminiscence: not impressed with this one. While not bad, it smells a bit commercial, impersonal.
    - Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch: not bad, better than Reminiscence, but underwhelming, and longevity wasn't great on me.
    - Nicolai Patchouli Intense: hated it.

So I've narrowed my choice down to Villoresi and Mazzolari's Patchouli, which I've heard great things about but haven't been able to find a sample of. Could anybody try to make a comparison of the two? That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: [Advice] Patchouli: Mazzolari vs. Lorenzo Villoresi

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I would suggest you try Patchouli 1969 by Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier before making your final decision if you can. It's a wonderful patchouli that I don't regret getting months ago.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Mazzolari Patchouli is an ambery patch with good persistence, much better than the Villoresi which is more dry/austere but IMO lacking in depth. Definitely prefer Mazzolari out of the two. Also try Psychedelique by Jovoy, it's an excellent patchouli frag.

Banned

Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942

..all your problems will be solved.

Much better than the Mazzolari, but so is Mazzolari Lui a better patchouli than their regular patchouli too. Must like civet for that one though.

Mazzolari Lui, a good interpretation of patchouly plus an animalic note!

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Before deciding upon the two I would strongly suggest sampling Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942 as mentioned by others. Truly an amazing piece of work. I would also try and get your hands on Psychedelique by Jovoy. Another superb patchouli fragrance.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Homme - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - FM
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique - Jovoy
    Private Label - Jovoy
    Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Layton - PDM
    Pegasus - PDM

Have you tried some patchouli dominant frags like Giorgio Beverley Hills for Men / Givenchy Gentleman?
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Patchouli Nobile

Thanks, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would suggest you try Patchouli 1969 by Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier before making your final decision if you can. It's a wonderful patchouli that I don't regret getting months ago.
    Will try to find a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Much better than the Mazzolari, but so is Mazzolari Lui a better patchouli than their regular patchouli too. Must like civet for that one though.
    Could you please elaborate on what makes Patchouli Nobile "much better"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Have you tried some patchouli dominant frags like Giorgio Beverley Hills for Men / Givenchy Gentleman?
    I've smelled a few but they didn't appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Mazzolari Lui, a good interpretation of patchouly plus an animalic note!
    Just how different is it from their regular Patchouli?

Thanks for your replies!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aki Akikovich View Post
    Could you please elaborate on what makes Patchouli Nobile "much better"?
    Patchouli is such a strong, often overpowering note that perfumers will look for ways for soften, or mollify the harsher elements by introducing other elements to counter that, usually amber but sometimes vanilla or other things. Or a greener patchouli will be used, rather than the darker more earthy type.

Mazzolari uses amber, and you get a soft patchouli that while quite pleasant doesn't really do much or impress other than with its pleasantness. Nice and high quality, but a little boring.

Patchouli Nobile, on the other hand, doesn't shy away from the essence of patchouli at all. A very earthy, natural and warm patchouli that evolves and moves around, with notes of hay (clever pairing), woods, incense, soft florals, etc all moving around to give a picture of an idyllic country motif. I imagine the Italian countryside while wearing it, but anywhere really, Extraordinarly rustic.

If I were to sum up, Mazzolari Patchouli is just being comfortable in one place. Patchouli Nobile takes you somewhere else.

Christian Dassar - Patchouli pour homme

Patchouli + Animalic accord, not too strong!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I can't understand the Mazzolari. It wasn't for me. I haven't tried Villoresi's patchouli. Villoresi Uomo is a personal favorite.

Patchouli is such a strong, often overpowering note that perfumers will look for ways for soften, or mollify the harsher elements by introducing other elements to counter that, usually amber but sometimes vanilla or other things. Or a greener patchouli will be used, rather than the darker more earthy type.

Mazzolari uses amber, and you get a soft patchouli that while quite pleasant doesn't really do much or impress other than with its pleasantness. Nice and high quality, but a little boring.

Patchouli Nobile, on the other hand, doesn't shy away from the essence of patchouli at all. A very earthy, natural and warm patchouli that evolves and moves around, with notes of hay (clever pairing), woods, incense, soft florals, etc all moving around to give a picture of an idyllic country motif. I imagine the Italian countryside while wearing it, but anywhere really, Extraordinarly rustic.

If I were to sum up, Mazzolari Patchouli is just being comfortable in one place. Patchouli Nobile takes you somewhere else.

Thanks. How would you say Patachouli Nobile compare to Borneo and the Santa Maria Novella?

Also, what did you think of MGP Patchouli 1969?

(is there any way to edit posts here?)

Banned

Thanks. How would you say Patachouli Nobile compare to Borneo and the Santa Maria Novella?
    Santa Maria Novella is a stripped-down to the bare essentials patchouli. A hint of florals in it, but you wouldn't be far off if you thought it smelled like a high quality pure essential patchouli oil.

Borneo 1834 is a cacao-laced patchouli. Rich in the way many Serge Lutens are. Earthy, dark, somewhat linear.

Patchouli Nobile is what I'll call a rustic take on patchouli. Smells of hay and earth. Smells as a patchouli should, in my opinion, without a lot of adornment. For all that, elegant and refined too.

Banned

Also, what did you think of MGP Patchouli 1969?

(is there any way to edit posts here?)
    I have yet to smell it. Doesn't seem to be carried by Lucky Scent yet.

P.S. Use the edit button.

Santa Maria Novella is a stripped-down to the bare essentials patchouli. A hint of florals in it, but you wouldn't be far off if you thought it smelled like a high quality pure essential patchouli oil.

Borneo 1834 is a cacao-laced patchouli. Rich in the way many Serge Lutens are. Earthy, dark, somewhat linear.

Patchouli Nobile is what I'll call a rustic take on patchouli. Smells of hay and earth. Smells as a patchouli should, in my opinion, without a lot of adornment. For all that, elegant and refined too.
    SMN smelled fairly rustic, too, to my nose anyway. Would you say Patchouli Nobile is similar?

(I don't see any "Edit" button...)

Banned

SMN smelled fairly rustic, too, to my nose anyway. Would you say Patchouli Nobile is similar?

(I don't see any "Edit" button...)
    Only vaguely similar. There is more going on in Patchouli Nobile, and it's richer-smelling, but I'd be hard-pressed to say which one i prefer,

Perhaps you need a certain number of posts here to get the Edit Post button.

Thanks

Depends on your teste in patchouli fragrances It is bold and raw (Mazz) vs. cool and flowing (Villoresi) Mazzolari is a patchouli/amber combination that has a salty sour honey note.. The combination makes Mazzolari a but bold but kind of loud patchouli. I have this and like it. Comparable to and as good as Tauerville Patch Flash.
    Villoresi Patchouli is an old fashioned style of patchouli that softens the boldness of patch with vetiver, lavender and cedar. It is a menthol cold, herbal patchouli. I like it quite a bit and like Villoresi Uomo it has a barbershop vibe but centered around patchouli. If these two were music: The Villoresi is Miles Davis Kind of Blue -- vs. -- Mazzolari is Kruder Dorfmeister K&D Sessions. Villoresi is comparable to and as good as Micallef Patchouli.
    late fall lineup: • eau de cologne imperiale • baie 19 • the noir 29 • o. durbano lapis lazuli • dear polly • cereus no. 11 • moth and rabbit • bvlgari man dark orient • madras cardamom • phuong dang artist • hermes osmanthe yunnan • boadicea the victorious imperial • olibanum profumum • fahrenheit parfum • dusita issara • papyrus oud/71 • pacific rock moss • sahraa oud • mfk oud extrait • baccarat rouge 540 extrait

Basenotes Junkie

I love patchouli too and based on careful reading in here over the months, I know which one I would love to get. Nobile 1942

Just a little update. I sampled Patchouli 1969 from Maître Parfumeur & Gantier and strongly disliked it. I can't say exactly why though: it is kind of bright, I can't really smell the patchouli, or at least not patchouli as I imagine it, e.g. Villoresi or SMN. It may the elemi.

I also bought Patchouli Nobile blind, trusting all the great reviews it's gotten over the years, on this forum especially. It just arrived today in the mail. And I hate it. There's a kind of moldy smell which I can't figure out which ingredient is causing, but anyway not for me.
    Last edited by Aki Akikovich; 4th November 2019 at 09:47 PM.