Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Is there a high quality expensive ingredient version of Old Spice someone else makes?

Something that has high quality ingredients...

Default Re: Is there a high quality expensive ingredient version of Old Spice someone else makes?

Some suggest Viking is similar.
    Not sure about high quality ingredients but it's certainly ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Is there a high quality expensive ingredient version of Old Spice someone else makes?

On an old thread someone said Habit Rouge. I’m not sure that is at all similar.

Basenotes Junkie

don\t be put off by it's low price. The EDT is great. It's a lovely smell and a great fragrance.

Possibly certain clove and/or especially aniseed notes in Azzaro pour Homme and also in Rive Gauche pour Homme among designer, Opus 1870 for pepper notes in a (largely affordable) niche scent.

But even so, particularly considering a still very limited fragrance experience, must admit that Old Spice has very fine notes niche might not have rendered yet and/or has to reproduce with better or at least pricier ingredients-considering how affordable Old Spice is priced and also how good the performance/value for money on this can be, would still stick with this option at least until a finer ingredients designer/designer exclusive/niche/artisan etc. version might surface at some point.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    On an old thread someone said Habit Rouge. I’m not sure that is at all similar.
    I do not get the similarity either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Old Spice is so iconic that I think most houses would be afraid to do a variation on it.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Yes but not copycats rather the 'idea', I'd suggest these to see if they scratch the itch -

Opium vintage
    Coco EdT
    L'Homme Sage
    Noir Epices
    Style (Micallef)

Basenotes Plus

Interesting list. Thank you

Vintage Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, still at low prices on ebay (if you have some patience).

Basenotes Junkie

I don't see any similarity between Old Spice and either Azzaro or Habit Rouge. It's on its own and it's unique and it's very lovely.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Vintage Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, still at low prices on ebay (if you have some patience).
    If going this route then make sure you avoid the current version as it is nasty (and not in a good way).

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

I sometimes bring up a company called Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, who I respect and own some of their scents. The owner created an homage to Old Spice called "Cold Spices". Erik Hodges, a.k.a. Douglas Smythe, has been known to use hand-created organic-based oils and hydrosols that get put into his fragrances. I honestly don't know if he used any special process for his Old Spice tribute, but I think it smells fancier and more up-scale than the Proctor & Gamble Old Spice in the drug stores. I just sent an email to the company asking about his ingredients and here is his response:

"Yes, the hydrosol is distilled by us. Well all my aftershave/colognes are special. I don't make garbage. Rather than just splash ingredients together and put it on the shelf for sale we use old school perfuming methods. Our aftershave/colognes take 4-6 weeks to make (mature) with different ingredients added at different times. Some of our seasonal ones are aged a year, others are aged in oak barrel casks.

I have over 70 scents on offer and many are my own unique fragrances that i'm sure they would appreciate. Sangre De Drago, Al Fin, Harvest Moon, Clown Fruit, Future Fiction, Astra Planeta, etc.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers"

So, I feel comfortable tossing in a recommendation into this thread for Cold Spices. I personally use this and it's the only 3rd party Old Spice I own. I originally tried it as a sample and loved it. My opinion is that it's got a very Old Spice vibe going on and although not exactly the same as the old Shulton juice, his intent and skill seem to bring it close and I think the Phoenix Artisan version smells 'fresher' (if I had to pick a word) than either the old Shulton sauce or the modern highly chemical Proctor & Gamble reformulation.

Basenotes Plus

Great idea and it’s a great response from the company. Thank you

Basenotes Plus

Great idea and it’s a great response from the company. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

I sometimes bring up a company called Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, who I respect and own some of their scents. The owner created an homage to Old Spice called "Cold Spices". Erik Hodges, a.k.a. Douglas Smythe, has been known to use hand-created organic-based oils and hydrosols that get put into his fragrances. I honestly don't know if he used any special process for his Old Spice tribute, but I think it smells fancier and more up-scale than the Proctor & Gamble Old Spice in the drug stores. I just sent an email to the company asking about his ingredients and here is his response:

"Yes, the hydrosol is distilled by us. Well all my aftershave/colognes are special. I don't make garbage. Rather than just splash ingredients together and put it on the shelf for sale we use old school perfuming methods. Our aftershave/colognes take 4-6 weeks to make (mature) with different ingredients added at different times. Some of our seasonal ones are aged a year, others are aged in oak barrel casks.

I have over 70 scents on offer and many are my own unique fragrances that i'm sure they would appreciate. Sangre De Drago, Al Fin, Harvest Moon, Clown Fruit, Future Fiction, Astra Planeta, etc.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers"

So, I feel comfortable tossing in a recommendation into this thread for Cold Spices. I personally use this and it's the only 3rd party Old Spice I own. I originally tried it as a sample and loved it. My opinion is that it's got a very Old Spice vibe going on and although not exactly the same as the old Shulton juice, his intent and skill seem to bring it close and I think the Phoenix Artisan version smells 'fresher' (if I had to pick a word) than either the old Shulton sauce or the modern highly chemical Proctor & Gamble reformulation.
    Looks like a promising house.

Off-topic, but their Cavendish EDP is tempting.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Viking is similar in sort of way, but that's about it.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Looks like a promising house.

Off-topic, but their Cavendish EDP is tempting.
    I have tried Cavendish and it's possible for someone to like it. To me, it seems like it has any abrasive aspects of tobacco removed though and leans to a pleasing smooth/sweet vibe. So, for me, it was a pass, but he must have a segment of his customers loving it or it wouldn't still be sold on his site. He can only carry the ones that sell due to his business being on the small side. He's discontinued a few other scents in the past. Cavendish has stood for years on his site.

Here's what I did. I went to the samples page of his store site and queued up like 15 samples ($1 each) for scents that have a note profile I might like. Then that made the shipping cost more reasonable (I think it's like $3.95 or something like that, but I could be remembering wrong).

Also, he's got some other fun shaving products on there too that I own that are affordable. I have a hobby in wet shaving as well as fragrance and Phoenix Artisan is a company I really like because they have great stuff in both arenas. I guess I'm a bit of a fan of their's. I admire what the owner has been able to accomplish in terms of top-notch quality for niche-markets while having a business that is able to make money despite being small. The owner is humble to his customers but very proud of what he sells. He even loves marketing and he's got a sense of humor about everything. I only have positive things to say and I don't mind telling this forum about it. I don't know how, but he's managed to juggle several different skills and be successful at each (perfumery, shaving soaps, marketing and business management). I think he's had a great deal of help from Frances Towle. I'm not 100% sure, but I think she is putting in the expertise of the cosmetics aspect of business since she previously owned her own business too. I'm not sure if they are co-owners or what. I don't want to ask to many weird questions and only know enough to be very general about these details.

The general 'vibe' of many of his scents (not all, but many) is an old-school aftershave vibe, circa 1970's. Good stuff too. Some weren't my style but some are really loved by the shaving community. There are a small number of a 'modern' vibe. I think Sangre de Drago is excellent and I own it. I think Solstice, though a tad medicinal, has a great southwestern feel to it and is also one I own. Also, one that I think is badly underrated, and might get the axe someday, but I hope doesn't is "The Big Shave East". It is a scent he made for an event, but IMO, he struck a hit. Frangipani, Tobacco Flower and Apricot. So lovely in my opinion. I stocked up a few backup bottles and bought the EDP he sells of it. Although not talked about much in the shaving community, The Big Shave East, is wonderful perfumery.

Sorry to drift off-topic.

Old Spice, of course, is one of the greatest scents in history. I don't know of many that can seriously compare. I think you can try to find Avon Spicy vintage? I think this is a thread that Zealot Crusader needs to be in. His insight into vintage aftershaves could be useful on this topic.

Another idea is Le Baiser Du Dragon by Cartier, which is perhaps a touch more "feminine." I have only tried vintage EdP of this one.

Blog Entries

I've tried a few samples from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and thought they were ok. they seem to do very well with bay rum's but other than that, I found most of their things just way too artisan and flat out weird. I dunno what I'd rate their quality, I can't remember if I tried Cold Spices either. I do know that out of the 10 or so i sampled from the, I only remember about 2 being decent, they all had really poor longevity, and came off as cologne strength or worse.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: On El by J del Pozo

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Originally "Early American" Old Spice from 1937-1950's ish. Tons of it around.
    Also vintage Shulton Old Spice.

Outside of that, you can get in the same wheelhouse but you won't find any -exact- attempts at a niche Old Spice, as the stuff is too iconic to "f**k with" if that makes sense.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I have tried Cavendish and it's possible for someone to like it. To me, it seems like it has any abrasive aspects of tobacco removed though and leans to a pleasing smooth/sweet vibe. So, for me, it was a pass, but he must have a segment of his customers loving it or it wouldn't still be sold on his site. He can only carry the ones that sell due to his business being on the small side. He's discontinued a few other scents in the past. Cavendish has stood for years on his site.

Here's what I did. I went to the samples page of his store site and queued up like 15 samples ($1 each) for scents that have a note profile I might like. Then that made the shipping cost more reasonable (I think it's like $3.95 or something like that, but I could be remembering wrong).

Also, he's got some other fun shaving products on there too that I own that are affordable. I have a hobby in wet shaving as well as fragrance and Phoenix Artisan is a company I really like because they have great stuff in both arenas. I guess I'm a bit of a fan of their's. I admire what the owner has been able to accomplish in terms of top-notch quality for niche-markets while having a business that is able to make money despite being small. The owner is humble to his customers but very proud of what he sells. He even loves marketing and he's got a sense of humor about everything. I only have positive things to say and I don't mind telling this forum about it. I don't know how, but he's managed to juggle several different skills and be successful at each (perfumery, shaving soaps, marketing and business management). I think he's had a great deal of help from Francis Towle. I'm not 100% sure, but I think she is putting in the expertise of the cosmetics aspect of business since she previously owned her own business too. I'm not sure if they are co-owners or what. I don't want to ask to many weird questions and only know enough to be very general about these details.

The general 'vibe' of many of his scents (not all, but many) is an old-school aftershave vibe, circa 1970's. Good stuff too. Some weren't my style but some are really loved by the shaving community. There are a small number of a 'modern' vibe. I think Sangre de Drago is excellent and I own it. I think Solstice, though a tad medicinal, has a great southwestern feel to it and is also one I own. Also, one that I think is badly underrated, and might get the axe someday, but I hope doesn't is "The Big Shave East". It is a scent he made for an event, but IMO, he struck a hit. Frangipani, Tobacco Flower and Apricot. So lovely in my opinion. I stocked up a few backup bottles and bought the EDP he sells of it. Although not talked about much in the shaving community, The Big Shave East, is wonderful perfumery.

Sorry to drift off-topic.
    Thanks for the additional commentary.

I'm always happy to learn about new artisan houses. Even when I don't like what I receive, I at least know I'm getting an unfiltered expression of an artist's vision.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Originally "Early American" Old Spice from 1937-1950's ish. Tons of it around.
    Also vintage Shulton Old Spice.

Outside of that, you can get in the same wheelhouse but you won't find any -exact- attempts at a niche Old Spice, as the stuff is too iconic to "f**k with" if that makes sense.
    I adore Early American Old Spice. My bottle still smells good despite being decades older than me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I've tried a few samples from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and thought they were ok. they seem to do very well with bay rum's but other than that, I found most of their things just way too artisan and flat out weird. I dunno what I'd rate their quality, I can't remember if I tried Cold Spices either. I do know that out of the 10 or so i sampled from the, I only remember about 2 being decent, they all had really poor longevity, and came off as cologne strength or worse.
    The samples come from the aftershave/cologne line (which, for me, last many hours, just saying). The sample vials are 'barely' enough to splash on, so I think that's where you ran into a longevity issue. I typically use a bit more splash than what's in the sample vial. PAA also sells full bottles of EDP strength, but they cost twice as much as the aftershave/cologne bottles. Although, I've always thought the aftershave/cologne has been of acceptable strength to last a good amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Even when I don't like what I receive, I at least know I'm getting an unfiltered expression of an artist's vision.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

I've heard some good things about Barrister's Reserve Spice. I never tried it though. Another option is Soap Commander's "Endurance", which also has a few fans.

Emilio by Henry Jacques.

Old Spice in EDT and aftershave is still very good.

Basenotes Plus

I also think the closest relative in modern (and too-damn-expensive) perfumery would be Viking (and I really like Viking) BUT there's absolutely no need to go down that road when Early American Old Spice is out there for the having. Also in addition to my OS bottles from the '40s and '60s, my '80s vintage Shulton still smells incredible. Not hard to track down- can't recommend these bottles enough.

Ahhh... I see Zealot Crusader and tspencer were also rec'ing this. I think they were the two that turned me onto the idea. Cheers guys
    Last edited by Oud Dude; 13th October 2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Props

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I also think the closest relative in modern (and too-damn-expensive) perfumery would be Viking (and I really like Viking) BUT there's absolutely no need to go down that road when Early American Old Spice is out there for the having. Also in addition to my OS bottles from the '40s and '60s, my '80s vintage Shulton still smells incredible. Not hard to track down- can't recommend these bottles enough.

Ahhh... I see Zealot Crusader and tspencer were also rec'ing this. I think they were the two that turned me onto the idea. Cheers guys
    I still have my dad's old bottle. The new stuff is fine just as an aftershave, but if I mean to actually WEAR Old Spice, it needs to be the older stuff.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig