Code of Conduct
o

Cool Need Clarification about aging and finished product

Hello,

I found a bunch of videos about making cologne/perfume on the web, as well as some articles. I played around with 4 recipes for cologne using different ratios of basically the same essential oils. 2 spelt like an old man would use them, and 2 were pretty good for a novice doing a first try. However, the article I used as a foundation for the one cologne I made that I like only used 25 drops of oil, 1/4 cup of alcohol, and had me use distilled water to dilute, and 5 drops of glycerin to “preserve” the scent. It’s a great smell in-bottle, but only lasts 2 seconds after I spray it.

After reading threads on here, I realize that adding water and glycerin is not a great idea. However, what confuses me is the aging. The website instructions made it seem like adding the water makes it a finished product and stops the aging process. Yet, if I get rid of the water (as everyone here says to do) then is cologne just alcohol and essential oils, or am I missing ingredients? Also, does that mean that the fragrance will constantly be aging, and therefore constantly changing it’s scent over time? Or is there a point in time where change of smell stops—like a limit to how much it can age?

Just very confused about that part as most tutorials are very vague and basic. Also, are 25 drops sufficient for 2/4 cup alcohol, or should I be putting like 40? I have a 4th recipe with 40 drops in alcohol (using Everclear though I technically own Ethanol) just chilling in cabinet, maybe aging/maturing like 2-4 days, but don’t know how to “finish” it.

Thank You,

Default Re: Need Clarification about aging and finished product

Oops, sorry about the few typos, and grammar mistakes. Haven’t figured out how to edit a thread after posting. My bad. Most important error to note is that “2/4 cup” (near the end) should be ‘1/4 cup’ as 2/4 would just be half lol.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

You might want to re-post this in the DIY thread where experienced perfumers might better be able to help you. Good luck.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Look, there is loads of different crap on the internet. Its hard to help, there is so much that goes in to a perfume I would not know where to start. One perfume can have up to 100 different materials in order to last. Then there is now long a material lasts, citrus lasts 5 min, resins and woods can last for days, then there is diffusion 100ds of tests and so on. But if you really want to do your own get ISO E SUPER and use 10-20 % of your finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSV21 View Post
    The website instructions made it seem like adding the water makes it a finished product and stops the aging process. Yet, if I get rid of the water (as everyone here says to do) then is cologne just alcohol and essential oils, or am I missing ingredients?
    Actually, just the opposite is true. If you want those essential oils to last a long time, the best thing to do is to not have any water in there, or very little water.
    A cologne is typically mostly just alcohol, essential oils, and other fragrance chemical ingredients. Sometimes fairly small amounts of other things may be added, like propylene glycol to try to make the scent linger a little longer on skin, or try to compensate for the dehydrating effect of the alcohol of skin, but that's not typical, especially not so for an amateur hobbyist made cologne.

When I first looked into making my own fragrances I used YouTube, and thought it was basically vodka and essential oils. But after finding this website and the correct videos on YouTube it’s far from just essential oils and alcohol.
    You’ll need perfumers alcohol, essential oils, absolutes, tinctures, fixatives, aroma chemicals etc all can be found on pellwall (what I use in the uk) some use perfumers apprentice(USA), and sure they’ll be a load more.

Also don’t just pile a load of material in as some substances are restricted. Use weight instead of drops

https://youtu.be/ZpANAha9m_U I found this YouTube video very helpful!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMalteseTweed View Post
    https://youtu.be/ZpANAha9m_U I found this YouTube video very helpful!
    Yep, Peter is pretty good. Worth listening to.
    And next, all Perfumery is done by weight, dismiss as amateurs, anyone who says otherwise.
    Much, the majority of Perfumery online on Youtube is junk and laughable. Even some who have schools and classes, and seem professional, are junk.

Basing a perfume only on naturals, will take years of skill to make your perfumes last well. It does not surprise me that your perfume lasted only minutes.

Water does not arrest change.
    Chemistry is active, and water is just more chemicals / molecules to interact with.

As for a limit of chemical interaction and change... hmm, well, not really. There is a point where much of it has occurred, but I can't think of a finite end to some interactions.
    Even light can make changes occur.
    Chemistry interacts in all phases. Before alcoholic dilution, and afterwards. There is not only combinatory interaction, but also oxidation and degradation happening as well.
    There's just a lot going on...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Member Finelikeanoyster's Avatar

You're asking about fixation, here in this forum everyone says to macerate the perfume about 4-8 weeks, or same 3 months, in a dark and cold place, n yes you can trust them, some are professional perfumers, n i had tested by my self. After the maceration period, the smell modificates, your good recipes can turn bad, n the bad turn very beutiful perfumes, however the perfumes earn fixation.

Some recipes around the net, say to use glycerin to soft your skin avoid the alcohol dehydration, but you dont need this, alcohol is not acid, n glycerin do not let the perfume projectate.

If your colognes are too concentrated, water can be a problem with solubilization (the liquid turn white), but in more diluted, water have diferent results, helping or prejudicating the notes. Little amount are not a problem if you're using only naturals, but generally alcohol have water. You have option to use this. remember: only litlle quantity

To give fixation, you can use tenacious oils (base notes), for example sandalwood, although not exagerates on these because the fragrance can be desequilibrated. Equlibrium are a first pass to make a fragrance. Welcome to the world of making fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon