Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I just picked up a vintage bottle of Guerlain Heritage (gold cap) and am wondering...

What's your take on it if you own it and have compared it to the newest iteration? I'm getting a more of a spicy accord in the vintage bottle than in my new bottle. It seems the oakmoss fixative is very much evident as is, possibly, pepper. The vintage also seems denser and richer though with seemingly less projection. These are all just initial impressions though. I think I may prefer the newest formulation. Regardless, Heritage is just an epic fragrance that I'm currently obsessed with so I decided to try out a vintage bottle. I'd love to hear thoughts from fellow basenoters .

Default Re: I just picked up a vintage bottle of Guerlain Heritage (gold cap) and am wondering...

I’ve only experienced the vintage but your impressions seem consistent with others’; what is it that you prefer about the modern version?
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: I just picked up a vintage bottle of Guerlain Heritage (gold cap) and am wondering...

I have 2 100ml EDT bottles 2018 batches with wood style caps, I am happy how it smells and glad to have two batches of the same year. 4 sprays gets me all day performance with great projection it wraps you in a aura of Heritage all day just a very nice fragrance! I’ve tried EDP with the wood style cap and same experience heavy dense performance Heritage rates 10/10 in every category, I have yet to try the vintage Heritage notes might be slightly different but I think the heart of Heritage remains in all variations. I feel it sticks itself right in the middle of old school and modern, old school vibe but still modern at the same time clean spicy classy great choice of notes.
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by ctboom View Post
    I’ve only experienced the vintage but your impressions seem consistent with others’; what is it that you prefer about the modern version?
    It seems smoother imo, especially with the sandalwood and patch. Also, I get very little pepper in the modern version which I like. These are initial impressions though.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    The vintage also seems denser and richer.
    My feeling also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

So I just sprayed the vintage on a clean napkin and, Good God, is it gorgeous. Perhaps, it reacted in an odd manner to my skin last night. It is so dang rich.

Basenotes Plus

So I just sprayed the vintage on a clean napkin and, Good God, is it gorgeous. Perhaps, it reacted in an odd manner to my skin last night. It is so dang rich.
    Sounds lovely! Spray clothing in case skin reacts odd with vintage.
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I have 2 100ml EDT bottles 2018 batches with wood style caps, I am happy how it smells and glad to have two batches of the same year. 4 sprays gets me all day performance with great projection it wraps you in a aura of Heritage all day just a very nice fragrance! I’ve tried EDP with the wood style cap and same experience heavy dense performance Heritage rates 10/10 in every category, I have yet to try the vintage Heritage notes might be slightly different but I think the heart of Heritage remains in all variations. I feel it sticks itself right in the middle of old school and modern, old school vibe but still modern at the same time clean spicy classy great choice of notes.
    I think my new bottle is 2018 as well. I absolutely love it. It's fast becoming my dumb reach in cooler weather. It's just a beautiful, confident scent.

Tending to agree that while the projection is more moderate and even nearly minimal to certain extent, also tending to perceive the gold cap vintage version of this one as easily more complex and with further layers of complexity

For a very intricate, dense composition, the current EDT has pretty nice note separation with a lot of dynamic interplay between notes.

I haven't tried Heritage in vintage form, but my sense that I've gotten from other vintage releases is that they tend to "settle" over time, smoothing things out a bit as they consolidate.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

Gold cap vs. silver cap.
    If find the gold to have more body, detail, where the silver seems a little simpler, more musk driven rather than deeply woody.
    10% difference if I had to quantify it, just enough to notice.
    I dont have the newest stuff. I have enough vintage to last multiple lifetimes.
    I should probably sell the silver cap sometime soon.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Gold cap vs. silver cap.
    If find the gold to have more body, detail, where the silver seems a little simpler, more musk driven rather than deeply woody.
    10% difference if I had to quantify it, just enough to notice.
    I dont have the newest stuff. I have enough vintage to last multiple lifetimes.
    I should probably sell the silver cap sometime soon.
    I believe it was one of your comments from a few years ago that clued me in on the differences .

I think my new bottle is 2018 as well. I absolutely love it. It's fast becoming my dumb reach in cooler weather. It's just a beautiful, confident scent.
    I bought wood cap bottles of edp and edt this week. While I can’t compare to vintage, the two newer bottles are both excellent quality and well constructed. While some say say heritage smells dated, it is a worthwhile scent that would be appreciated today by most fragrance enthusiasts. Even in its current form that holds true. Hats off to Guerlain for this accomplishment.

I once had the vintage first release from 1992 and it was much richer and had a better quality to it than the current which I also had to do a comparison. The current one had better projection but it smelled thinner and more synthetic. Still good smelling by today's standard but not a match quality wise on the original release.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

Banned

I find the "gold cap" version more complex, but more importantly more aromatic/herbal and spicy. To me, the "gold cap" version has more pronounced lavender, oakmoss, pepper and juniper. It's more aldehydic and musky as well. Altogether it has this lively spicy aromatic character, a mix of clean but prickly aromatics and peppery spices. I find the stuff that's out now is a bit heavier perhaps with more pronounced woods (especially patchouli) and certainly more amber. It's definitely woodier to my nose, and doesn't feel as complex having lost or traded off some of its aromatic properties. On the negative side I find the woods in the new version feel a bit more synthetic/scratchy, though they're still well done. Either way, the two versions are still fairly similar, and it's not like smelling two totally different scents. I prefer the previous iterations of both the EDT and EDP but still think they've done a nice job preserving it overall.

Second wearing today. I'm smelling the magic now. It is quite richer and deeper than my modern batch though I love that as well. The spiciness that I smelled last night is not nearly as evident. For lack of better words, it's almost a like a niche version of the modern take, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I find the "gold cap" version more complex, but more importantly more aromatic/herbal and spicy. To me, the "gold cap" version has more pronounced lavender, oakmoss, pepper and juniper. It's more aldehydic and musky as well. Altogether it has this lively spicy aromatic character, a mix of clean but prickly aromatics and peppery spices. I find the stuff that's out now is a bit heavier perhaps with more pronounced woods (especially patchouli) and certainly more amber. It's definitely woodier to my nose, and doesn't feel as complex having lost or traded off some of its aromatic properties. On the negative side I find the woods in the new version feel a bit more synthetic/scratchy, though they're still well done. Either way, the two versions are still fairly similar, and it's not like smelling two totally different scents. I prefer the previous iterations of both the EDT and EDP but still think they've done a nice job preserving it overall.
    This fits with broader reformulation trends. Aromatic notes have generally been "fuzzified" as synthetics have become more dominant.

Still, I love the Heritage EDT in its common form, and at current prices it's a bargain.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, English Laundry Windsor, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Still, I love the Heritage EDT in its common form, and at current prices it's a bargain.
    Completely agree and I think it easily beats out a lot of niche frags cough Roja Dove cough .

I am curious what Danger smells like in comparison to the various iterations of Heritage though...

I think your take on the vintage is very good, and I love it....both the EdT and EdP.

I haven't smelled the newest Heritage. I hear it's not bad, but most prefer the vintage because of its richness.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 14th October 2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Maybe not the new edt but new edp is AWESOME. It starts bad and sharp with the animatics for first 5-10 min but the mid and base are OFF THE CHARTS good.

Wood cap Edp after the top notes wear off is worth buying.

I put wood cap edt on and my lady said it wS so so.

I put one arm Roja danger edp and other arm heritage edp. On first spray she preferred the Roja. After 15-30 min re sniff she favored the Guerlain edp.

Freed from BN Institution

The vintage EDT was ok however I ended up not liking it as much after awhile. I prefer the vintage EDC concentration.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I agree with the 'more dense and richer camp' and I am glad I recently purchased a back up (golden cap) of the vintage edt; my preffered vintage though is the 75ml 90's edp version!
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

I have one Silver cap from 2015 and one wood cap from 2018 and to my nose the silver cap is more rich and dense in smell and the overall sillage and longevity was better with the silver cap Version.

Basenotes Plus

I have nothing new to add, but just also want to state I'm in the "more dense and richer" camp regarding vintage. That being said, I won't go so far as saying I really find it better than the current version. It's a little brighter, sharper/synthetic and lighter but sometimes that's exactly what I want to wear. To my nose the current formulation still is a masterpiece that I wouldn't want to live without, but having sniffed the vintage version currently I also want to acquire a bottle of that one.

I wore the current version last night and, as many have already said, it's brighter, a bit more effervescent, and projects more. It remains fantastic though vintage is on another level. Perhaps it's new toy syndrome haha. I don't quite get a synthetic feel though the vintage smells exceedingly natural to my nose by comparison. I'm worried I may go down a vintage rabbit hole because of how much I enjoy it.

Basenotes Plus

I wore the current version last night and, as many have already said, it's brighter, a bit more effervescent, and projects more. It remains fantastic though vintage is on another level. Perhaps it's new toy syndrome haha. I don't quite get a synthetic feel though the vintage smells exceedingly natural to my nose by comparison. I'm worried I may go down a vintage rabbit hole because of how much I enjoy it.
    Thankfully vintage Heritage is not hard to obtain still plenty of it out there!

Thankfully vintage Heritage is not hard to obtain still plenty of it out there!
    Absolutely. I kind of lucked out though. I managed to get a BNIB 50ml gold cap bottle for $70. Seriously debating a backup though they're more than twice that for the most part.

Banned

The vintage EDP is phenomenal, imo. If you're able to find that (which shouldn't be too hard), it's worth giving it a try.

Absolutely. I kind of lucked out though. I managed to get a BNIB 50ml gold cap bottle for $70. Seriously debating a backup though they're more than twice that for the most part.
    Ps what colour is the gold cap juice, not as brown as the new wood top bottles?
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Ps what colour is the gold cap juice, not as brown as the new wood top bottles?
    I would say similar though the vintage juice seems more golden while the modern stuff is a light brown.