Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Jane Birkin on her mother's Schiaparelli Shocking

Anecdote from Jane Birkin in an interview (actually a thinly-veiled advert for Miller Harris L'Air de Rien) on a UK fashion website:

I wonder about her mother, Judy Campbell - actress, muse to Noel Coward and, according to Cecil Beaton, the most beautiful woman in England - and whether Birkin remembers what perfume she wore. ‘In the last war, her flat blew up in the air raids,’ she tells me. ‘I said, ‘Mum, what did you take?’ She thought for a very long time and then said, ‘Schiaparelli’s Shocking perfume.’ I said, ‘What? You didn’t take food?’ She said, ‘No. When you have nothing left, you take the superficial for the morale.’ I thought let this be a lesson to me for always.’

https://graziadaily.co.uk/beauty-hai...arris-perfume/

Default Re: Jane Birkin on her mother's Schiaparelli Shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Anecdote from Jane Birkin in an interview (actually a thinly-veiled advert for Miller Harris L'Air de Rien) on a UK fashion website:
    I wonder about her mother, Judy Campbell - actress, muse to Noel Coward and, according to Cecil Beaton, the most beautiful woman in England - and whether Birkin remembers what perfume she wore. ‘In the last war, her flat blew up in the air raids,’ she tells me. ‘I said, ‘Mum, what did you take?’ She thought for a very long time and then said, ‘Schiaparelli’s Shocking perfume.’ I said, ‘What? You didn’t take food?’ She said, ‘No. When you have nothing left, you take the superficial for the morale.’ I thought let this be a lesson to me for always.’

https://graziadaily.co.uk/beauty-hai...arris-perfume/
    That's excellent.

It could also be that "Perfume is, among other things, the most portable form of intelligence."

Luca Turin likened JB to a bit of an airhead didn't he -- or the most 'unfrench'?

I saw a few versions of the original Shocking bottles at the Perfume Exhibition at Somerset House a few years ago --- very surreal, which makes sense

Thanks for the link!

Shocking was a glorious perfume, very musky and unique. Probably half of its content would now be unavailable or forbidden.

L'air de rien is much much less daring (and it's also weakish, to my nose, perhaps some anosmia). Incidentally, looking at the pic in the article, I looked at my bottle (bought discounted at marshalls). The bottle doesn't say by jane birkin. The box does.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thanks for the link!

Shocking was a glorious perfume, very musky and unique. Probably half of its content would now be unavailable or forbidden.

L'air de rien is much much less daring (and it's also weakish, to my nose, perhaps some anosmia). Incidentally, looking at the pic in the article, I looked at my bottle (bought discounted at marshalls). The bottle doesn't say by jane birkin. The box does.

cacio
    I used to really enjoy L'air, but then it was reformulated and lost a great deal of its odd "dirtiness." I wish I liked Shocking, but I find it VERY sweet.
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Nol by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Glorious is the word .
    I actually wore mine yesterday evening. What a magnificent journey

Really appreciate the link, Cook.bot

Envious of your bottle!

If l'air de rien was reformulated, then this explains why I find it meh. I agree that Shocking has a honey note, not the current fruity syrups, but dirty honey, which adds to the musky effect.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I wish I liked Shocking, but I find it VERY sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I actually wore mine yesterday evening. What a magnificent journey.
    Starblind, if you've only tried parfum, you might give the cologne version a chance. I have a bottle of EDC from the same era as Jon's parfum, same label design, and it's much less sweet but still has oodles of animalic growl.

Basenotes Plus

is Shocking You any good?

Rather belated thanks for sharing the story- wonderful insight about a great fragrance defining landmark moments in the life of historically significant personalities in ways in which only the BN community could imagine/relate with (and even most of BN might not have known before)