Code of Conduct

Exclamation Recreating Bleu De Chanel

Hi I have just started with making perfumes with essential oils and wanted to know how we can can recreate Bleu De Chanel from essential oils, I tried following the Fragrantica main note votes system, but did not even come close to the smell, I was able to get all the essential oils as listed on fragrantica, but can't get it right.

If anyone can share their formula for Bleu De Chanel, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(PS: I am new to this and have no prior experience in perfumery whatsoever, so please go easy on me :P)

Default Re: Recreating Bleu De Chanel

I have not tried making that perfume.

At it is not made from all essential oils, or anything like, it will be impossible to duplicate or come close with only essential oils.

At the very least you will need Iso-E Super and at least one white musk (I don't know which ones are used in this) to come anywhere in the neighborhood.

I’ve heard a few people mention iso e super especially in Abercrombie Fierce, saying it makes up around 40% of the product. To me it doesn’t really smell, surely something must be added with it to get a lot out of it?

For bleu de Chanel, I’m not sure what else to put in but I’d use an incense accord, sandalwood, iso e super and a few more musks for the base? I used to have the EDP version but I remember getting a blast of citrus at first. Possibly grapefruit or lemon at the top, not sure what what would be used with these in terms of aroma chemicals,
    Also I’m guessing Cedramber, aldehyde c12, ginger also??
    I’m still learning so someone else will give more input

Basenotes Plus

Not possible to make Bleu de Chanel, using only essential oils.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

i haven't smelled this one, but - as the title suggests - i bet it is built around Calone.

Well I am looking for any simple recipe that can do the trick, a few aroma chemicals could also be just fine if they can be acquired.

To some extent this is like asking, I haven't really learned to play musical instruments yet, nor to compose, nor to hear music and then write down accurately what notes I heard, but I want to be able to recreate at home the London Philharmonic playing this particular orchestral piece without the same instruments. None of you have the score for this piece, but can you tell me a simple way to recreate it.

In other words you are underestimating the task, as I think most of us do when starting, and you are starting with a goal that is unrealistic and will not be plausible to even come close to until you have thousands of hours experience under your belt, if then.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 10th November 2019 at 11:10 PM.

cedramber, vetiverol, vetiver, amyl salicilate, iso e super (timbersilk) and more CA and naturals

Quote Originally Posted by sherry1000 View Post
    Hi I have just started with making perfumes with essential oils and wanted to know how we can can recreate Bleu De Chanel from essential oils, I tried following the Fragrantica main note votes system, but did not even come close to the smell, I was able to get all the essential oils as listed on fragrantica, but can't get it right.

If anyone can share their formula for Bleu De Chanel, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(PS: I am new to this and have no prior experience in perfumery whatsoever, so please go easy on me :P)
    When trying to recreate any fragrance I think first and foremost you should ask yourself the question what family does the perfume belong to?

What would you say of Bleu? Is is floral? Is it fruity? Is it green, woody, oriental, musky, fougere, chypre? If you can answers these questions systematically it will help you to go further.

Bleu is a fougere. Ok, what is crucial for this category? Citrus and Aromatic would be my next descriptors -- what materials could fit this brief? Working in this way is much more effective than looking at a fragrance pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    .......what materials could fit this brief? Working in this way is much more effective than looking at a fragrance pyramid.
    Case in point: Quite a while ago -- when I knew a lot less than I know now about making perfume (and I still know nothing in the grand scheme of things) I tried to recreate Norell -- a favorite of mine in the 70's. Still had/have an original bottle that has gone off a bit due to age, but the bones are still there.

Since I had a total beginner's nose + lack of understanding of aroma chems etc. I decided to rely on the alleged perfume pyramid + perceived notes listed in articles written about Norell, etc. and made a composite list of what was in it based on the pyramid.

Easy, right? Not even close. Result at the time: galbanum, ylang bug spray. Each attempt was an abject failure in one way or another because the real formula for Norell had to be as long as my arm -- nuanced with many ingredients + expertly designed, obviously. No few ingredients or simple formula would ever do the trick.

Now I am coming back to Norell. Slightly more confident this time around because my knowledge base is greater which is due to the work I've put in studying, using materials -- and all that that implies. I expect to fail again but will get closer; might at least get the bones, a viable blend/structure from which I can continue to work to one day achieve a Norell inspired or Norell sort-of. Hopefully not Norell Nada mosquito repellant although the failure will teach, and that's important to me.

I do have to admit though that I was really happy to find a magical ingredient combo (read it in Arcadi's book I think ?? -- can't remember) that did make all the difference in another (older, famous) perfume I was trying to recreate for myself. Without that combo being handed to me on a plate so to speak, I never would have come close to making a reasonable facsimile.