Code of Conduct

Thread: Cosplay

o

Cool Cosplay

Anyone here ever done Cosplay? I hate that word but it's in the mainstream now, lol.
    I've dressed up as Darth Maul for a few Star Wars conventions and Halloween parties over the years.....would take me a while to dig up the (non-digital) pics.

Or does anyone have Cosplay items that they incorporate into their actual daily wardrobe? I have a Luke Skywalker jacket that is a reproduction of his jacket from Empire Strikes Back that I wear from time to time.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Default Re: Cosplay

What does Cosplay stand for - Costume Play?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes, that. It involves both dressing up as a book, movie, game, anime, etc. character you like AND making all the attire, details, accessories and make-up yourself. It's quite an interesting hobby.

I have cosplayed McGee's Alice once. It was fun. I don't really wear my costume details except for the stripey stockings and combat boots I used, as they went straight from my "normal" wardrobe anyway.

Oh, and I have dressed up as Charlie Chaplin back in my school years for a party once, but that doesn't really count, as I didn't really sew anything, just borrowed a black suit, dad's shoes and grandfather's hat.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Yes, that. It involves both dressing up as a book, movie, game, anime, etc. character you like AND making all the attire, details, accessories and make-up yourself. It's quite an interesting hobby.

I have cosplayed McGee's Alice once. It was fun. I don't really wear my costume details except for the stripey stockings and combat boots I used, as they went straight from my "normal" wardrobe anyway.

Oh, and I have dressed up as Charlie Chaplin back in my school years for a party once, but that doesn't really count, as I didn't really sew anything, just borrowed a black suit, dad's shoes and grandfather's hat.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I never dressed up myself but admire those who make an effort at it.

The managing director from my old place has a slightly geeky son who's massively into Cosplaying. It must have rubbed off on dad because this one time when we had a superhero themed fancy dress day at work for charity, he came in dressed as Heath Ledger's Joker. He had it bang on. He drove in his getup to work and apparently people were doing double takes on the motorway

What was really great is that senior management really participated in the fun. The second in command / ops director came dressed as the hero from Kick-Ass, and one of the guys is a massive Batman fan so he came as that. The HR manager came as Wonder Woman.

I really miss that place. What a shame it was shut down.

I went to Indiana Comic Con last month and, obviously, saw plenty of Cosplayers. Was wondering if we had any in the basenoters community. I use to be a pretty big Star Wars nut in my younger days and dressed up to several conventions.

^Cool bottle! That's a good gift idea for one of my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I went to Indiana Comic Con last month and, obviously, saw plenty of Cosplayers. Was wondering if we had any in the basenoters community. I use to be a pretty big Star Wars nut in my younger days and dressed up to several conventions.
    You'll see a TON of cosplayers at GenCon, too.
    Currently wearing: Ja´pur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    You'll see a TON of cosplayers at GenCon, too.
    True. Never been to GenCon. I'm assuming they're mostly dressed as video game charaters?
    Plus, I wasn't expecting to see so many scantily clad costumes at Indiana Comic Con. Not complaining, lol. Just was surprised.

True. Never been to GenCon. I'm assuming they're mostly dressed as video game charaters?
    Plus, I wasn't expecting to see so many scantily clad costumes at Indiana Comic Con. Not complaining, lol. Just was surprised.
    The themes are all over the place at GenCon. I go about every other year as a vendor with my company. I've seen game characters (both board and video), a lot of ones from superhero comics, and every once in a while something very off the beaten path. And yeah, unfortunately (IMO) scantily-clad is a thing in costuming.

The themes are all over the place at GenCon. I go about every other year as a vendor with my company. I've seen game characters (both board and video), a lot of ones from superhero comics, and every once in a while something very off the beaten path. And yeah, unfortunately (IMO) scantily-clad is a thing in costuming.
    It can be a very very bad thing or a very very good thing. haha

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Anyone here ever done Cosplay? I hate that word but it's in the mainstream now, lol.
    I've dressed up as Darth Maul for a few Star Wars conventions and Halloween parties over the years.....would take me a while to dig up the (non-digital) pics.

Or does anyone have Cosplay items that they incorporate into their actual daily wardrobe? I have a Luke Skywalker jacket that is a reproduction of his jacket from Empire Strikes Back that I wear from time to time.
    Never, but that Luke Skywalker jacket is badass.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As mentioned, you’re correct, it’s a shortened form of costume play. Japanese English that has become part of the English language. In Japanese two word phrases are often shortened by combining the first two syllables of each word (コスチューム プレー becomes コスプレ). Can also be done with names, especially as Japanese doesn’t have the concept of middle names. Kimura Takuya becomes Kimu Taku.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I have a Luke Skywalker jacket that is a reproduction of his jacket from Empire Strikes Back that I wear from time to time.
    Is that the limited one from Columbia that you have? I saw those a while back but they were a little pricey (about $400 US if I remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    As mentioned, you’re correct, it’s a shortened form of costume play. Japanese English that has become part of the English language. In Japanese two word phrases are often shortened by combining the first two syllables of each word (コスチューム プレー becomes コスプレ). Can also be done with names, especially as Japanese doesn’t have the concept of middle names. Kimura Takuya becomes Kimu Taku.
    Thanks for clarifying this.

Is that the limited one from Columbia that you have? I saw those a while back but they were a little pricey (about $400 US if I remember).
    I got it when I was in college. I ordered it from the Lucasfilm fan club. I think it was around $100. I bet the versions out there now are probably better quality. Mine is good but it doesn't fit very well.